As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Netflix Price Raises and other Minor Nuisances

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I offer that renting a single DVD for five dollars and having to return it within 7 days under threat of fees and even BEING SENT TO A COLLECTIONS AGENCY be reserved for "irksome"

This is what I offer

...I'd call that "bullshit," actually. I'd call that "why am I paying for this shitty service."

Netflix is still a good service and I'll still pay for some form of it. "Irksome" is when they want more money for the same thing because of market demands or the economy or whatever reason.

Seriously, they can't even knock off a token dollar for getting a package-deal?

KalTorak on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I offer that renting a single DVD for five dollars and having to return it within 7 days under threat of fees and even BEING SENT TO A COLLECTIONS AGENCY be reserved for "irksome"

This is what I offer

...I'd call that "bullshit," actually. I'd call that "why am I paying for this shitty service."

Netflix is still a good service and I'll still pay for some form of it. "Irksome" is when they want more money for the same thing because of market demands or the economy or whatever reason.

I guess not

Why are you fixated one dollar

they cost the same because it looks nicer on paper if the two analogous plans are the same price

Could they do it for 7 dollars? I am sure they could.

I am going to theorize they didn't because they were hoping that people who pay money to have DVDs mailed to them would not care about one dollar.

They must have not read the internet

Jasconius on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    They should; it's where they live.

KalTorak on
  • PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

This is what I offer

Prices rise.

I'm sure there are some 80 year olds that are pissed as hell that a can of Coca Cola costs a buck nowadays when it used to cost 5 cents.

Times change. This one just happens to be on a shorter timetable. It started out, Netflix charged just to send you DVD's. There wasn't such a thing as online streaming.

Then they added streaming, and decided, "Hey, we'll give it to them for free." This was ok, because it saved them money in a roundabout way. They didn't have to mail discs for those 50 year old Clark Gable movies, people could just watch them online.

That was all well and good until people wanted more online things. Previously, nobody at Paramount, Columbia, TriStar, or whoever gave a shit that Netflix was streaming their Clark Gable movies online. But now, now Netflix wanted their new movies. Sorry buddy, we're going to have to charge you for that.

Now, Paramount is charging Netflix 10 Millions dollars a year (number out of my ass) instead of 7 million dollars a year, because people can watch their content instantly online, and much if it quite new. They charge this, because they have to. The ability to stream noticeably reduces disc sales at Best Buy or Amazon.

Still however, Netflix continues to offer free streaming along with your DVD plan, while taking a hit in the shorts on their contracts.

Now however, comes the conundrum. The original Netflix content contracts are expiring. Every content provider has wised up to this little game, has realized the utter barrels of cash being shipped to Netflix on a daily basis, and want in on this shit. So suddenly, everyone is telling Netflix that their 50 cent lemonade now costs 2 bucks.

What do you expect Netflix to do? They have CEO's, investors, stockholders to pay. They can't just say. "Ok Sony. Here's your money." They have to up prices. Like today's PA comic. Netflix's end user experience is demonstrably richer today than it was four years ago for roughly the same price.

Rainbow time has ended, the real world is now taking effect. 16 bucks a month is still a golden ticket compared to what they could charge you.

If you feel it's a rip, then just pay for streaming, and go red box the few new titles you watch. Otherwise, I challenge you to find a cheaper (legal) way of viewing movies and TV that aren't currently in production.

People say that Netflix is charging more money for the same experience. That's categorically untrue. They have been giving you better, better, and better experiences for over 2 years now. Prices have just caught up. Normally, people charge first before upping their end user experience. Netflix gave you a discount for as long as they could. Now people want to punish Netflix for doing the right thing for the customer.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Priest on
    edited July 2011
    i'm sorry i fell asleep

KalTorak on
    edited July 2011
    Ridiculous! Movie actors should give their movies away for free because they make all of their money on the concerts anyway.

Jasconius on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I support this change

Haha you suckers with your old world 'mail' tech

Join the cybernetic age already

Scooter on
    edited July 2011
    i'm sorry i fell asleep

Ah, I forgot to TLDR it for you.

You're wrong.

Priest on
    edited July 2011
    nuh uh

KalTorak on
  • bkrobinbkrobin Roseburg, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The netflix thing bugs me too. I think we are going to cancel discs and do just streaming.
    Oh, and I burned my arm tonight so GRRRrrr!!!

bkrobin on
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

This is what I offer

Oh my god it's almost as if the technology improved and our expectations increased along with it

Have you guys heard of this horseless carriage thing

People are already demanding that it go faster than 30 mph, ungrateful bastards

edit- that was snarkier than I meant it to be I don't actually care about this

I am looking into this "going outside" thing I hear it is ill

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I currently use my ex-girlfriend's Netflix account.

Bring on the price increase!!!

Slider on
    edited July 2011
    I think the core of my counter-argument has to do not with increasing expectations by the advance of technology, but with the idea that anything (and for some reason especially digital media) should not ever increase in price for any reason, or it is some sort of affront that must be lamented and bitched about.

Even though most of the things people spend money on increase in price quite a bit all the time for no reason at all. Like property. Or increase because they are influenced by forces two or three times removed from the actual product, like utilities.

Netflix reinvented an entire industry and they'd like a little more money now that the media streaming market has gotten more sophisticated and competitive.

Obviously their intent is malicious and they hate you

Jasconius on
  • Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    Well yeah, you are sounding pretty entitled.

But it is the subject of the thread.

He is doing exactly what you're supposed to.

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
    edited July 2011
    You seem to be under the impression that people who don't feel like the service is worth the price think that Netflix is peeing in their mouths or something.

I'm pretty sure I said I'd still be paying for some sort of Netflix. I purposefully used the mild term "irksome." In fact I referenced the fact that outside factors probably forced this price hike. I just don't feel like 1 DVD at a time + their current streaming library is worth $16/month, so I'm not going to pay it.

I really don't care what the Hollywood backroom deals inside-baseball shit precipitated this, though Priest is free to write another novel about it.

KalTorak on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    Did you know that streaming media, Netflix being a ridiculously large portion of this, has just recently become the largest source of internet traffic during peak hours?

Did you also know that basically every company providing Netflix with media has contracts that are due to expire very, very soon and are demanding gigantic leaps in contract prices?

Did you also know that this is still cheaper then just about any other premium content delivery system available?

You did?

Then why the fuck are you bitching about an entirely optional luxury going up in cost by a small amount?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited July 2011
    I just don't feel like 1 DVD at a time + their current streaming library is worth $16/month, so I'm not going to pay it.

I really don't care what the Hollywood backroom deals inside-baseball shit precipitated this.

Point out my bitching, please.

KalTorak on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    Who said I was talking to you?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited July 2011
    who then?

KalTorak on
  • Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Because thread title duder

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    All I ever use is streaming anyway. There are thousands and thousands of hours of entertainment on there that in my whole life I don't think i could ever get through.

I can't even imagine adding DVDs to the mix.

I haven't even finished the first season of TNG yet!

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
    edited July 2011
    psh I'm on the last episode of season 5, dawg!

(granted I got through the first 4 before they were on netflix)

Jasconius on
    edited July 2011
    the entertainment hour/$ ratio of Netflix streaming is insane. You can't even see a movie for $8!

If they doubled the price of streaming I really don't think I would care.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
    edited July 2011
    There are movie theaters you can't even park at for $8.

Jasconius on
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    In other minor nuisances I scratched my new car (actually an old car) going up my driveway and I was butthurt for a little while. Now I'm okay.

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
    edited July 2011
    I think my exhaust is about to fall off.

I think tomorrow morning I'll go hook some bungee cords up

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Here's a minor nuisance.

I've been on a month-to-month lease since May and I thought month-to-month meant "month-to-month" but apparently the way my lease is written it's actually "two months, sucker"

So even though I have my next apartment bought and paid for in August, I still have to pay full august rent for the apartment I am leaving instead of just, say... 66%ish

And I had a hair appointment scheduled tomorrow but I had to reschedule because I didn't think my hair was long enough to cut yet

and the apartment I am leaving has to be shown to new renters while I am still living in it but I

A) Work from home
    B) Have a cat they don't know about

so if they show it to anyone before I get the keys to my next place I will have to thoroughly mask the presence of my cat to avoid shelling a few hundred bucks in pet fees

Jasconius on
    edited July 2011
    That blows

I once had to show my apartment three times in one week

After the second time I got really frustrated and did not do any tidying up beforehand. I think the lady was kinda peeved about that but fuck you I don't want strangers walking through my living area all week.

Actually we are supposed to be showing it again Thursday but I haven't even been there in like three weeks so hopefully nothing weird got left out in the open.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Yeah the cleaning part sucks the most.

Are these fuckers really going to open my freezer while I step outside?

They will learn I prefer "Americone Dream" flavored ice cream

I don't need that kind of judgement!

Jasconius on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

It's a service I pay for.

They've upped the price twice now for no reason.

I think I'm allowed to feel entitled to something not raising in price randomly and altering the service plan whenever they want a couple extra bucks.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited July 2011

Actually there are reasons. In fact someone outlined several of those reasons quite well in this exact same thread.

Jasconius on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011

I think I'm allowed to feel entitled to something not raising in price randomly and altering the service plan whenever they want a couple extra bucks.

For no reason = your myopic and entirely selfish understanding of the situation.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited July 2011
    That reminds me. When my girlfriend's dad was helping us move to our new apartment we were moving a desk with some drawers in it - one of them had a bunch of condoms and as we picked it up that drawer swung right out and oh god it was super embarrassing

But he didn't acknowledge it at all

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Also Jasc, as someone who has worked in property management before it's pretty disingenuous to act put out by the fact that you might have to pay the pet fees that you are by contract required to pay but are avoiding because you're being dishonest. So many pet owners are convinced their precious can't possibly do enough damage to justify the pet fees, but they're not the ones getting the unit ready for the next tenants.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited July 2011
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    That reminds me. When my girlfriend's dad was helping us move to our new apartment we were moving a desk with some drawers in it - one of them had a bunch of condoms and as we picked it up that drawer swung right out and oh god it was super embarrassing

But he didn't acknowledge it at all

The last time I moved I had a friend help me move my furniture and we moved the sofa out together and I was the first to walk back in where I noticed quite promptly that there were a couple adult junk mail ad things that I guess were underneath my sofa for no good reason.

I promptly scooped them up before she came back in.

Awkwardness avoided

Jasconius on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    Priest wrote: »
    A goddamned novel.

I hate to break this to you man, but Netflix has raised prices constantly.

Nobody was surprised when they started charging extra for blurays, and then charging more for blurays, and then charging even more. Nobody was surprised when they started charging for streaming, and then charging more.

But the thing is.... those increases were all incremental. A buck or two, here or there.

This is a 60% increase for the exact same service.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited July 2011

Yes. They have also upped the content delivery system for no reason.

I'll make you a deal. I'll call Netflix. We'll work out a deal.

You'll continue to pay for unlimited streaming and DVD's for 7.99

But.

You can only use the catalog that was in effect January 2009.

Priest on
    edited July 2011
    I think the core of my counter-argument has to do not with increasing expectations by the advance of technology, but with the idea that anything (and for some reason especially digital media) should not ever increase in price for any reason, or it is some sort of affront that must be lamented and bitched about.

Even though most of the things people spend money on increase in price quite a bit all the time for no reason at all. Like property. Or increase because they are influenced by forces two or three times removed from the actual product, like utilities.

Netflix reinvented an entire industry and they'd like a little more money now that the media streaming market has gotten more sophisticated and competitive.

Obviously their intent is malicious and they hate you

I hate to break this to you man, but Netflix has raised prices constantly.

Nobody was surprised when they started charging extra for blurays, and then charging more for blurays, and then charging even more. Nobody was surprised when they started charging for streaming, and then charging more.

But the thing is.... those increases were all incremental. A buck or two, here or there.

This is a 60% increase for the exact same service.

Yes. Yes it is.

Jasconius on
  • SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Also Jasc, as someone who has worked in property management before it's pretty disingenuous to act put out by the fact that you might have to pay the pet fees that you are by contract required to pay but are avoiding because you're being dishonest. So many pet owners are convinced their precious can't possibly do enough damage to justify the pet fees, but they're not the ones getting the unit ready for the next tenants.
    How does that compare to the property management that decides that legally required repair work is optional? Because damned if I've ever met one that would do that sort of shit without dragging their heels until someone involved a lawyer.

edit: not that I'm bitter. or jaded. at all.

Syrdon on
    edited July 2011
    Syrdon wrote: »
    How does that compare to the property management that decides that legally required repair work is optional? Because damned if I've ever met one that would do that sort of shit without dragging their heels until someone involved a lawyer.

edit: not that I'm bitter. or jaded. at all.

What the fuck does that have to do with Jasc's situation?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg