As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

why do you hurt me, school

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Can

can you not do that and go to school

also, luck

Seriously on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    specifically the good variety

Tam on
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I agreed to read Atlas Shrugged because a dude I know (and would often get into political "debates" with) suggested it to me as a project I was doing.

But since then he flipped out on me and then defriended me on Facebook (I know, I know) so I don't feel like reading it anymore.

Is there any reason I should continue to do this? At first I agreed to do it on the basis of "if I know why he read/liked Atlas Shrugged I might be able to understand his point and then be able to argue against it better." Now, though, I don't feel like there is much of a point other than being able to brag about actually finishing it.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Oh and the other reason to do it is I still agreed to do it as a part of my project.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    i've looked at it a couple times

you should just read the synopsis on wikipedia

it's not even long for a reason, like ulysses

Orikaeshigitae on
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    good luck muse

Oghulk on
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    So I agreed to read Atlas Shrugged because a dude I know (and would often get into political "debates" with) suggested it to me as a project I was doing.

But since then he flipped out on me and then defriended me on Facebook (I know, I know) so I don't feel like reading it anymore.

Is there any reason I should continue to do this? At first I agreed to do it on the basis of "if I know why he read/liked Atlas Shrugged I might be able to understand his point and then be able to argue against it better." Now, though, I don't feel like there is much of a point other than being able to brag about actually finishing it.

I have read it two times! You can have both if you like.

Seriously on
  • Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The first draft of my master's thesis should be done by the end of this week.

So excited.

Airking850 on
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    i haven't read a word all summer

wooooooooooo

and I have so many books that i need to read

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    @ seriously: strippers aren't allowed in the dorms. It is a rule. It is in the handbook and everything.

:(

Muse Among Men on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It says strippers. Nowhere does it mention the act of stripping.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    prostitutes are allowed, but only if you pay for the girlfriend experience.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Airking850 wrote: »

So excited.

What area of study?

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    TheStig wrote: »

doesn't everyone ultimately pay for the girlfriend experience in their lives

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • SporkacusSporkacus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I wrapped up my undergrad experience a few years ago getting a BA in English and Philosophy, so as you can probably guess my current occupation has nothing to do with either. I'm now currently working in Higher Education at a University in the Northeast and I'm responsible for 250 freshmen... this past year taught me things that being a Resident Assistant would have never prepared me for.

Like how does one deal with a student who has a .392 BAC level? And then call their parents at 3 in the morning to let them know that they're alive somehow...

It was a mix of crazy, scary and hilarious, but it was pretty awesome and I'm doing it again this year.

Sporkacus on
    edited July 2011
    Wren wrote: »

Do you have a 24/7 Desk in your residence hall? If you're cool with your RA or head of hall... you never know what you could accomplish.

Sporkacus on
    edited July 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    s..send them to the hospital

Oh no I met them at the hospital, the student was somehow still conscious which was amazing... But the student mistook me for a fellow student and pleaded with me to try and escape with her. It was espcially interesting when she got out of the medical bed, ducked behind a chair and said that she's now invisible to the police officer who was still trying to get information out of her. It's really difficult being an advocate for a student when they then proceed to run out and get restrained to the hospital bed just so we can administer care :(

Sporkacus on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Sporkacus wrote: »

Do you have a 24/7 Desk in your residence hall? If you're cool with your RA or head of hall... you never know what you could accomplish.

wat

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited July 2011

wat

I misread the first thing as "prostitutes aren't allowed..." so I fail at reading

Sporkacus on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    just witnessed some good prof-on-smartass-kid owning

he was trying to explain vector area, which kind of involves projections but not really and while he was thinking about it the smartass said "Projection's a good word" and he replied with "It is thank you, I'll use it next time it's relevant" and everyone laughed

L|ama on
    edited July 2011
    L|ama wrote: »
    just witnessed some good prof-on-smartass-kid owning

he was trying to explain vector area, which kind of involves projections but not really and while he was thinking about it the smartass said "Projection's a good word" and he replied with "It is thank you, I'll use it next time it's relevant" and everyone laughed

holy damn haha

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

What?

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Zonugal wrote: »

What?

I was watching the Homerun Derby when I wrote that and had completely misread that... so yeah I fail at posts

Sporkacus on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    IF MY LECTURE CRASHES ONE MORE TIME I'M GOING TO DRIVE DOWN TO NEW YORK CITY AND PUNCH A REP

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited July 2011
    Zonugal wrote: »

What?

I was watching the Homerun Derby when I wrote that and had completely misread that... so yeah I fail at posts

huh?

TheStig on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Orientation is over. During registration my computer browser conked and would not let me log in. I lost enough time that I could'nt get the classes I wanted. I still have enough credits but one class doesn't even count towards my gen ed requirements so I am not really happy about the class schedule I have. And everyone else in my orientation group got those classes I wanted :(

Muse Among Men on
    edited July 2011
    Orientation is over. During registration my computer browser conked and would not let me log in. I lost enough time that I could'nt get the classes I wanted. I still have enough credits but one class doesn't even count towards my gen ed requirements so I am not really happy about the class schedule I have. And everyone else in my orientation group got those classes I wanted :(

It is essentially inevitable that someone will drop.

At my university there was a waitlist that you could put yourself on and when enough people dropped it would enroll you.

I would try doing this.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Once I get home I will try doing that.

The day before when I saw the ancient, shitty looking laptops we had to use I said, "I feel like it will work against me."

but I thought the fritz-prone trackpad would do me in.

Muse Among Men on
    edited July 2011
    Baidol wrote: »

So excited.

What area of study?

Biomedical Engineering -> Bioinformatics -> Computational Mass Spectrometry

Applying for a PhD starting in the winter in the same topic / with the same supervisor, which is even more exciting!

Airking850 on
  • SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm starting my masters program in fall and everyone keeps asking me if I'm going to go for my PhD.

And I'm like fuck, can't I at least start the program first before I decide to dedicate myself to even more schooling.

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well, are you?

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited July 2011
    Sicarii wrote: »
    I'm starting my masters program in fall and everyone keeps asking me if I'm going to go for my PhD.

And I'm like fuck, can't I at least start the program first before I decide to dedicate myself to even more schooling.

No, this is unacceptable.

Baidol on
    edited July 2011
    Baidol wrote: »

So excited.

What area of study?

Biomedical Engineering -> Bioinformatics -> Computational Mass Spectrometry

Applying for a PhD starting in the winter in the same topic / with the same supervisor, which is even more exciting!

Protein work?

Baidol on
    edited July 2011
    Yep, though I'm probably going to spend my PhD working with lipids. Tons of interesting research going on and the field has more virgin territory.

Airking850 on
    edited July 2011
    How do you get lipids to fly by mass spec?

Baidol on
    edited July 2011
    Almost anything will fly in a mass spec, which adds an extra level of difficulty to analysis - you have to separate useful stuff from the floor cleaning product and someone's shampoo.

Airking850 on
    edited July 2011
    Sure, but you have to attach a charge somewhere on that thing and lipids are pretty greasy. The acid on the end is enough to get that to go in negative mode?

Baidol on
  • FarthingFarthing Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    i got my marks back and they were pretty good!
    3 HDs and a distinction (three 7s and a 6)

couldn't have done it without you, school thread.

edit: my avatar! nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Farthing on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Aaaaaand finished with summer school! Nine units of kicking ass (unless I bombed in my Anthro final and walked away with a C :-( )

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    edited July 2011
    Finished one of my summer classes with an A. Woo.

The other won't end until next week.

TheStig on
This discussion has been closed.