As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Portland OR Pre-PAX Meet-Up(s)

AtratyysAtratyys Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in PAX Archive
I've been talking to a few other Portland PAX goers and it seems about time to start up this thread.

Initial plans that have been tossed around are going out to dinner before heading to the 7/27 Last Wednesday Free Play at Ground Kontrol. That way we can gather and get to know each other before descending into the madness that is Wednesday Free Play.

Any other suggestions are welcome, and we can meet-up multiple times like we did last year. Just figured I'd get the ball rolling!

Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/125151277575949

Mini-Meet-Up: Ground Kontrol Free Play 7/27
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=105658516199871

First True Meet-Up: Dinner at Shanghai Tunnel followed by Ground Kontrol 7/29
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=225237347515051

2nd Unofficial Pre-PAX Portland Meet-Up: GK Free Play 8/11
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=191133620949979

OMSI Game On exhibit trip 8/13
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=156310007779154

CA CAW! 2013 Ravenclaw: Order of the Phoenix

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
Atratyys on

• Options
    MogsMogs Registered User regular
    I vote yes! But where to eat...

• Options
    jdioniojdionio Registered User new member
    Mogs wrote:
    I vote yes! But where to eat...

I would say Buffalo Wild Wings or Macaroni Grill.

• Options
    MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    I vote anywhere except Buffalo Wild Wings or Macaroni Grill.

Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
  • Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    Gah!. Midweek meetups are so rough, cause I have such an early alarm clock, but My wife and I would love to meetup with someone before we head up there the tuesday before. :)

Hope we will see some of you!

• Options
    Solelron wrote:
    Gah!. Midweek meetups are so rough

I'm sure we'll have more than one meet-up, I'll shoot to organize another one on a weekend.

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
  • Options
    pillarofdawnpillarofdawn Registered User regular
    I say we all go get a Big Ass Sandwich
    http://www.bigasssandwiches.com/

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite thread on the forums.
  • Options
    artrulzartrulz Registered User regular
    Hey friends! Most of you know me but for those that don't, my name's Art and I'm the manager at Ground Kontrol. Thanks for planning to bring people down to Free Play, that's awesome. We do have a cool thing going on the next night, too, which is a 30th anniversary party for Donkey Kong followed by a special Nintendo-themed edition of our Video Game Quiz Show.

PAX people would be welcome at either! Get in touch with me if you want to set anything up. In fact I'd be happy to set up discount drinks. Does that sound good?

Looking forward to hanging out, too, I'll of course be at PAX again this year!

Will work for quarters.
  • Options
    artrulz wrote:
    Hey friends! Most of you know me but for those that don't, my name's Art and I'm the manager at Ground Kontrol. Thanks for planning to bring people down to Free Play, that's awesome. We do have a cool thing going on the next night, too, which is a 30th anniversary party for Donkey Kong followed by a special Nintendo-themed edition of our Video Game Quiz Show.

PAX people would be welcome at either! Get in touch with me if you want to set anything up. In fact I'd be happy to set up discount drinks. Does that sound good?

Hey Art, drink discounts sound awesome of course. This is Andrew by the way if you didn't remember the user name. I'm normally busy on Thursdays but I may need to take that one off.

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
  • Options
    NerdgasmNerdgasm Registered User regular
    I would really love to be part of a pre-PAX meetup. Since I'm new to PAX as well as Portland, this would be my first time to Ground Kontrol.

(2011 Omeganaut. All around swell fella.)
  • Options
    Nerdgasm wrote:
    Since I'm new to PAX as well as Portland, this would be my first time to Ground Kontrol.

We shall welcome you to Quarter Nirvana in a proper fashion.

• Options
    artrulzartrulz Registered User regular
    Atratyys wrote:
    artrulz wrote:

Hey Art, drink discounts sound awesome of course. This is Andrew by the way if you didn't remember the user name. I'm normally busy on Thursdays but I may need to take that one off.

Hey Andrew! I knew I recognized that username!

Tell you what. How about we have people RSVP here? I can then build a guest list for people that get a special wristband or something for discounts. If you're good with that, you should command people to RSVP here (or somewhere) and I'll check in. Feel free to bug me about it too. :0)

If you guys want any other ideas for things to meet up at leading up to PAX, you should check out GeekPortland.com!

Will work for quarters.
  • Options
    artrulz wrote:
    If you're good with that, you should command people to RSVP here (or somewhere) and I'll check in.

I do command that all hence forth commitment shall be in the form of RSVP!

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
  • Options
    Well, now that I look at the calendar, I realize that my husband works that Wednesday, so we'll be missing dinner, but we will definitely be at Ground Kontrol. Depending on the timing for dinner, I might make it, and have him join me later.

• Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am game for this. Sounds cool.

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    sociald1077sociald1077 Registered User regular
    I would love to be part of a pre-PAX get together here in Portland. And since the 27th is the day before the Brewers Festival starts, I have that night off :D

Never been to Ground Kontrol (only been around this area for a year) so I hope its fun.

What did the 0 say to the 8? Nice belt!
  • Options
    TeknotronicTeknotronic Registered User regular
    Heyyyy so yea. While I know the Pre-Pax meetup has been at a free play night for the last couple years at least, I really think a different night would be best.

1. Lots of people work during the week so Wed night isn't going to work for alot of people, those that could make it probably couldn't stay as long.
    2. While free play night is great cause its cheap, it's also one of the busiest (if not the busiest) nights at GK. When GK gets packed its really difficult to socialize, play games, etc. The point of a meetup is to meet right?

I of course do love GK, but I think a different night would be better. I know Fri/Sat nights are really busy too, but at least people would have more time to play with (generally) so people could hang around till the crowd thins out a bit.

Brew Fest is also that weekend so maybe that would cause the crowds at GK not to be as bad on the weekend. Heck we could meet up earlier at GK, play a few games then wander over to the Brew Fest. Sample some tasty beverages and then head back to GK :-P Food in there somewhere too.

Anyway just my thought/2 cents. I just know lots of people have missed out on previous meetup's due to it being during the week.

Mike - Teknotronic

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Heyyyy so yea. While I know the Pre-Pax meetup has been at a free play night for the last couple years at least, I really think a different night would be best.

1. Lots of people work during the week so Wed night isn't going to work for alot of people, those that could make it probably couldn't stay as long.
    2. While free play night is great cause its cheap, it's also one of the busiest (if not the busiest) nights at GK. When GK gets packed its really difficult to socialize, play games, etc. The point of a meetup is to meet right?

I of course do love GK, but I think a different night would be better. I know Fri/Sat nights are really busy too, but at least people would have more time to play with (generally) so people could hang around till the crowd thins out a bit.

Brew Fest is also that weekend so maybe that would cause the crowds at GK not to be as bad on the weekend. Heck we could meet up earlier at GK, play a few games then wander over to the Brew Fest. Sample some tasty beverages and then head back to GK :-P Food in there somewhere too.

Anyway just my thought/2 cents. I just know lots of people have missed out on previous meetup's due to it being during the week.

Mike - Teknotronic

This is some good input for sure. Just so happens a small group of us who tend to step up and make the post are always at Ground Kontrol Free Plays so we have tended to make the meet-ups to coincide with that. However I have no reservations to moving it to another night, Friday in particular could work well for me, I have a party on that Saturday which would make me unable to attend that night. What is everyone's opinion on Friday night?

I will also update the OP with a list of people who have expressed interest so far.

Atratyys on

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
  • Options
    I'd prefer Friday over Saturday, but either works fine. I'll still be headed to Ground Kontrol for freeplay on Wednesday, if anyone wants to meet up then as well.

• Options
    Argh, I totally didn't realise this was during Brew Fest week. I can't make it any time during... that time.

Alas, alack, oh well, maybe the next one.

• Options
    MarySue wrote:
    Argh, I totally didn't realise this was during Brew Fest week. I can't make it any time during... that time.

We'll likely have more closer to PAX, but it's nice to have them this early so people can start to get to know each other. Who knows, may take a page out of the book of some of the other cities that keep meet-ups going year round.

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
  • Options
    CutiePieXOXOCutiePieXOXO Registered User regular
    I'd totally be down for some free play pre-PAX action on the 27th. I'm sure I could convince a couple of people from my caravan to come as well. Won't get off work till 8pm though so dinner may be out of the question.

• Options
    Friday would be better than Saturday for me as well but Saturday is not a deal breaker.

I will also try to make it on Wednesday but won't be able to stay very long. So I hope Friday\Saturday works for the majority.

• Options
    I'd totally be down for some free play pre-PAX action on the 27th. I'm sure I could convince a couple of people from my caravan to come as well. Won't get off work till 8pm though so dinner may be out of the question.

I think this would be cool to start arranging for later dates. you all of course are welcome to any of my weekend Board gaming demos and events! :)

• Options
    edited July 2011
    I will continue to update the OP with additional info of different meet-ups posted in the thread.

Considering making Facebook events that people could RSVP to, any interest in that?

Atratyys on

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
  • Options
    TwizzleTwizzle Registered User regular
    I'll be at GK on the 27th and where ever the Pre Portland PAX meet up is on 7/29 too

• Options
    Twizzle wrote:
    I'll be at GK on the 27th and where ever the Pre Portland PAX meet up is on 7/29 too

You will be huh. So I guess I WILL be at GK on Wednesday then :-P

• Options
    Twizzle wrote:

You will be huh. So I guess I WILL be at GK on Wednesday then :-P

Yay! Looking forward to seeing you guys again. We won't be down there until Carmine gets off work, though, maybe 8ish.

• Options
    gorgeousplanetgorgeousplanet Meat Popsicle OregonRegistered User regular
    Hello!
    Any definite idea of the official plan/date/time for this meet-up? My fiance and I would love to go, and if it falls on a night we can make it, so be it. Yes Atratyys, a facebook event thing would be a great way for everyone to keep in the loop. We have never done any pre-PAXiness and really want to make the most of this year! Soo excited to see you all!

• Options
    Hello!
    Any definite idea of the official plan/date/time for this meet-up? My fiance and I would love to go, and if it falls on a night we can make it, so be it. Yes Atratyys, a facebook event thing would be a great way for everyone to keep in the loop. We have never done any pre-PAXiness and really want to make the most of this year! Soo excited to see you all!

I'll make some FB events tonight or tomorrow and edit the OP. The main meet-up will be 7/29 probably aroun 7 or so, will hammer out those details soon, but it seems several of us will be at Free Play on 7/27 as well.

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    MarySue wrote:

Ha don't feel bad I was thinking he meant the Wed before PAX. Silly me.

For those of us who have never been to GK can you provide some details including costs? Thanks!

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    ElmoFuntz wrote:
    MarySue wrote:

Ha don't feel bad I was thinking he meant the Wed before PAX. Silly me.

For those of us who have never been to GK can you provide some details including costs? Thanks!

For Free Play it is $5 cover and games are all set to free, you just pay for drinks and food if you want it. Any other night there is no cover but games run on quarters.

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Just a note if we want something different: 7/29 is also flicks on the bricks showing of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. This would be great chance to do boardgames and movie

Solelron on
  • Options
    ShadowMattShadowMatt Registered User regular
    I second the Facebook Event idea. I'd love to start meeting all of you Portland folks before heading up to PAX. It's my yearly pilgrimage, and I'd like to see some familiar faces once I hit Seattle. Also, there's no reason this can't become a regular hang out... it's a bummer that PAX is only once a year.

Anybody like this idea? Facebook? Can we start a Google+ Circle for announcements? In the words of Vasquez, "Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are."

Anyone want to step up and organize the Facebook page and/or Google+?

If people want to form up into Voltron.... I mean a Google+ Circle, find me on Google+:
    https://plus.google.com/118085865046319783623/posts//p/pub?hl=en

I say post your Google+ and/or Facebook details so we can start hooking up outside of this forum.

And somebody can tell me to shut up anytime.

tick.jpg
    Goodbye, plucky, pimply teen. I think you're ready now to hear the truth. This wasn't really a magic hubcap. The magic was inside you all along.
  • Options
    ShadowMatt wrote:
    Anyone want to step up and organize the Facebook page and/or Google+?

I'll take care of this when I get some time tonight or later this afternoon.

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowMattShadowMatt Registered User regular
    Epic. I've got four guys heading to PAX with me this year. I'll see if I can get us all to the meet up.

tick.jpg
    Goodbye, plucky, pimply teen. I think you're ready now to hear the truth. This wasn't really a magic hubcap. The magic was inside you all along.
  • Options
    mocherymochery Registered User new member
    Atratyys, mochery is a go - sans camera phone.

• Options
    mochery wrote:
    sans camera phone.

Thank god

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
  • Options
    Facebook group and events created and edited into OP.

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
  • Options
    ArkanoidArkanoid Registered User regular
    Perfect! This is was fun last year, and I'm totally in for another trip to GK. I'll check the Facebook events, but there better be sushi. Just sayin.

• Options
    Yeah Google+ bad idea ATM unless you are gonna toss me an invite to it. Silly beta invite only BS :D

vn6ID15.png