As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

i want to buy an xbox 360

INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teethRegistered User regular
edited May 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
zzz

INeedNoSalt on

• MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Do yourself a favor and just get the new one with the harddrive. Look around at what deals places are offering though, sometimes you can a free game/$50 giftcard/etc.

• INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    zzz

INeedNoSalt on
  • LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Look around for other stores that might carry used consoles for lower prices. We've got a couple stores in my area called Chumleighs which carry used consoles + games for usually decent prices. A couple of friends have bought from there and didn't have any issues.

At the same time, usually now big stores like Best Buy/Wal mart run specials (or have at least) where you can pick up the new 'slim' which is the same damn size Xbox with the 250GB HD and there's one or two games included for $300.

As far as I know you can't buy hard drives for the new slim Xbox (please correct me if I'm wrong?), but from a quick search I'm seeing that there is 320GB, 250GB and 4GB models, $399, $299 and $199 respectively at the big retail stores.

Loathing on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I'd suck it up and just pay the $300. The new XBox 360 Slim is really nice. Built in wi-fi as well which the other models don't have. If you REALLY don't want to pay that much. Keep an eye out for a used 360 Elite. Those are the matte black models.

• DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    Futureshop recently had a sale on where I got my 250gb slim for $199. I see the deals with free gift cards/games every week, so I'm sure if you look around at some different places you will be able to find a better deal.

sig2-2.jpg
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Esh wrote:
    I'd suck it up and just pay the $300. The new XBox 360 Slim is really nice. Built in wi-fi as well which the other models don't have. If you REALLY don't want to pay that much. Keep an eye out for a used 360 Elite. Those are the matte black models.

This is pretty key. Last time I checked the wireless adapter for a non-Slim 360 is $100. It's a ridiculous price gouge and you can always build yourself a wireless receiver instead, etc., but that's a pain in the goddamn ass. Unless you're getting something for $150 or less, the $300 is probably the best deal, especially if you find one of those bundles with some other random games or something.

What is this I don't even.
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    three hundred dollars is so much money :(

Dude, 300$ isn't that much money if you think about it in the scope of things. You will make many, many more 300's of $ in your life. And the money I have saved not spending it on whatever the hell else I would have been doing instead of playing video games, its at least on par with that.

I presume you have a job right? Pick up an extra shift or three. Better than skimping on the cheapo box and paying more in the end.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
    Yeah really, buy it right the first time and save in the long run.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    The 360 slim without the 250 GB hard drive doesn't have a hard drive in it, the 4GB storage is all internal. I had a problem with this when I went to re-install the expansion packs for oblivion and it said I didn't have a hard drive installed. You can buy hard drives that can be used with the 360 slim, but you aren't really saving that much. An official hard drive is upwards of $90 if I recall, and the one I got was $80, so not much of a difference there.

Also, just want to add that it might seem like a lot, but it's better than paying for three refurbished ones that break within a year.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Be aware that 20 gigs might not be enough.

Half of my 20 gig disk is Rock Band stuff (RB1 and RB2 songs imported and a little more). It adds up real quick.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    If you really want to go cheap, I would do what esh said and look for used elites; otherwise, spend the three hundred. Having a small hard drive (or none at all) is something you will regret as soon as you want to download any updates or use Live or marketplace. Also, some games like to install things on the HD and perform significantly worse (or not at all) if they can't.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Im pretty sure I bought my elite for $250 (new) a couple years ago. If $300 is too much, either get a used elite or browse slickdeals to see when a new slim goes on sale.

Personally, Id go for the slim over the elite (and the elite over the older white ones) since they use a different chip configuration and are supposed to run cooler (heat is suspected to be the main culprit in xbox failures) than the first gen xboxes.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    yeah, definitely do your best to verify when the console was new before you buy a used one. My understanding is that the black elites are pretty reliable and long-lasting (haven't had a problem with mine in 4+ years anyway), but it would be unfortunate to buy some 1st gen refurb and then have it fail.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    alternatively you could buy one of the 4g slims and a handful of 16gb USB drives.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
    edited May 2015
    zzz

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2011
    alternatively you could buy one of the 4g slims and a handful of 16gb USB drives.

I'm almost positive there are several (if not more) games that require an actual hard drive for online play.

Esh on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Just an example on space: To play Brink at all and not hate it, you had to install it to the HDD. This took something like 8GB of space.

What is this I don't even.
    Another strike against used systems that I thought of: Whenever Microsoft bans a shitload of systems from Live, a whole bunch of systems get traded in - entirely coincidentally I'm sure.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I know, anecdotes lol, but I have a friend that is on at least his fourth brobox, because he insists that buying new is for chumps.

I have not had a problem with my old system (purchased new) or my new slim (purchased new).

Oh, and without a hard drive, prepare for longer loading times and LOUD games. I don't know if it's the same with the Slims, but when I had a 360 Arcade and no hard drive, Fable II sounded like a god damn jet was taking off in my living room.

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Esh wrote:

I'm almost positive there are several (if not more) games that require an actual hard drive for online play.

really? that seems kind of odd. I know it was certainly like that before that update that stopped treating USB drives as second class citizens, maybe games from the early days looked specifically for SATA connections?

edit: I know I've installed a couple XBLA games to my USB, and had black ops and that latest need for speed game, but that's hardly a representative sample.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If $300 is a lot, consider how much those $60 games will add up to. If it's really a large sum in your current financial situation, this is, admittedly, the lame advice, but maybe you should hold off -- or reconsider the purchase and just buy a cheap one to play the game or two you really want to play.

The only thing sadder than going without buying a system is buying the system and not having enough money to actually buy games to play on said system.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    I know, anecdotes lol, but I have a friend that is on at least his fourth brobox, because he insists that buying new is for chumps.

I have not had a problem with my old system (purchased new) or my new slim (purchased new).

Conversely I'm on I think my third new Xbox. Which has already deigned to eat a disc for no apparent reason.

If you want to save money consider waiting for the holidays to start up. Black Friday's just a few months away and you might be able to save a good amount. Also to help save cash, I'd recommend Gamefly as an imperfect but certainly usable game delivery service.

edited May 2015
    zzz

INeedNoSalt on