As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fate has brought you here, John Carter

SolarSolar Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Social Entropy++

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Yeah I am looking forward to this

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    From the director of Finding Nemo and WALL-E.

I've never read the books, but this film looks fun.

• LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Sweet. I'm looking forward to this.

• JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Hell yes this looks good

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Some things in the trailer looked kind of iffy but I like the idea of it and hope Disney does well.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    I've never read these books but the that looks pretty good.

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Saw a ton of pictures for this on i09 yesterday. I will watch it.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I don't really know the stories that well, but the movie just looks like it will be a cool high adventure/sci-fi story and I can appreciate that.

Solar on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I think someone on here described him as a human version of Goku from the south of the US kicking ass on Mars. There's more to it than that, though.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    Wait who did that cover of Arcade Fire?

sig1.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    this looks pretty cool

was that willem dafoe at the end?

the arcade fire cover sounded like someone doing a johnny cash impression. man, a johnny cash version of that song would be bad ass.

it feels like someone watched this video and thought "Yeah, this would be the perfect song for a western themed movie"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyp34v6Lmcc

edited July 2011
    I believe that the track used in the trailer is the Peter Gabriel cover

For myself I prefer it to the Arcade Fire version, and it really creates a cool tone in the trailer, more low-key than your typical hollywood blockbuster movie.

Solar on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This could be cool, yeah.
    That's about all I have to say, given that I've never read the books or even heard of them.

also #pipe you silly goose PoP was awesome

Mortal Sky on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I am getting wicked bad Prince of Persia vibes

this is not a good thing

prince of persia: the movie, the ride, the video game, the experience

was not a good filmridegameexperience

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    are we talking about the movie or the video game

cause if you're talking about the movie

you aren't allowed to have opinions anymore.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Even about Warrior Within?

edited July 2011
    I've been looking on google at John Carter stuff and it seems that a lot of the look as shown by guys like Vallejo and Franzetta is pretty Persian in style, especially Dejah Thoris who has the whole clothing made of a few gold chains thing going on.

Solar on
    I enjoyed this part of the John Carter Wiki
    The entire series (with few exceptions) takes place between the third and fourth paragraphs of chapter 27 of Burroughs' novel A Princess of Mars.

even alfred molina could not save PoP

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote:

this is not a good thing

frank frazetta never painted no prince of persia

ikbUJdU.jpg
    My favorite use of the John Carter mars world is the bit from Otherland that featured that serialized version of Mars.

the Prince of Persia movie had the single largest plot-hole I've ever encountered in cinema

wait, what was the plot hole

or should I say which one

like, if you want to know if something is going to be awesome, see if frank frazetta did a painting of it

ikbUJdU.jpg
    did anyone else even read the otherland series?

I didn't think so

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    #pipe wrote:

this is not a good thing

Man, I reallllly like John Carter (by which I mean the Barsoom series), which is why when I heard about this I changed my av/sig, but I agree with you on this one, and my hopes for the movie are somewhere around the basement with the piles of soggy newspaper someone meant to tidy but forgot.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    Langly wrote:

there is an ancient order who's only reason for existing is to make sure a thing doesn't happen. In fact the entire conflict of the movie is preventing a thing from happening. And then in the end, the thing is stopped from happening, but the protagonist has a personal score to settle, so he does the thing that the movie is about preventing, and it makes the world a better place.

look I haven't seen PoP, but sometimes, pipe

you gotta say 'fuck the police'

ikbUJdU.jpg
    I'd rather say "fuck the producer who chose that treatment"

#pipe wrote:
    Langly wrote:

there is an ancient order who's only reason for existing is to make sure a thing doesn't happen. In fact the entire conflict of the movie is preventing a thing from happening. And then in the end, the thing is stopped from happening, but the protagonist has a personal score to settle, so he does the thing that the movie is about preventing, and it makes the world a better place.

He had a gut feeling!

• DavosDavos Registered User regular
    I really liked the PoP movie. It was just a good old fun time. And the chick is one of the hottest women alive.

That is called negating the premise. It means there is no reason for the story to exist.

look pipe sometimes you got to go with your gut when it comes to possibly creating armageddon

the movie was

so fucking dumb.

I mean, the playstation PoP game is a movie. It is a visual story. You could, seriously, just film the game and just throw the princess in there more often rather than separating them, and bam. Movie.

• LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    #pipe wrote:
    Langly wrote:

I haven't seen the film, but from this description it sounds like you don't know what a plot hole is.

iwantanswers3.png
    A plot hole, or plothole, is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot, or constitutes a blatant omission of relevant information regarding the plot. These include such things as unlikely behaviour or actions of characters, illogical or impossible events, events happening for no apparent reason, or statements/events that contradict earlier events in the storyline.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    This isn't about a black man leading a highschool basketball team at all.

• LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Yes, that is the definition of a plot hole. If you read what you wrote above, nothing in your complaint can be matched with it.

Again, I haven't seen the film, so I'll just chalk it up to a very badly-written complaint, because it's not like I'm prepared to argue over the quality of the plot.

iwantanswers3.png