As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Still loading the old forums

korodullinkorodullin What.SCRegistered User regular
Okay, I've got a very very weird problem and I'm not sure exactly where to ask it so I'll put it here and hope it's the proper place.

I can't get to the new forums via forums.penny-arcade.com. Like, at all. Every time I go there, I get this page, the downtime one from days ago. Any direct links to threads or subforums result in 404s. I've cleared my cache, cleared my cookies, used different browsers, cycled my router, ipconfig -flushdns'd, rebooted my PC, and even used different DNS solutions, but I still get the old forums. However, other PCs on my network easily load the new forums via the standard URL, and I can get to them via going to http://staging.forums.penny-arcade.com/ (which is how I'm posting now) or by loading forums.penny-arcade.com through a proxy.

I'm pretty much at wit's end here, and I have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it. At first I figured my shitty ISP was just being shitty and was slow about updating their DNS, but loading it on other PCs on the network killed that idea.

ZvOMJnu.png
- The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
korodullin on

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Are you using a proxy on your computer? I've seen people run caching proxies for ad blocking, and that can cause problems like this.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    MKR wrote:
    Are you using a proxy on your computer? I've seen people run caching proxies for ad blocking, and that can cause problems like this.

No, I don't believe so. All I run is Adblock, and only on Firefox. I've tried disabling it then clearing my cache and all, and still nothing.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited July 2011
    Have you ever made any change to your hosts file, where you might have hard-coded in the IP address of the old server?

On Windows this file is \Windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS
    On other operating systems it is just /etc/hosts

Ramius on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Haven't once opened hosts on this PC for anything. It's still currently blank aside from the default stuff.

Edit: And now I can reach the new forums via forums.penny-arcade.com. This is bizarre. No edits made to Hosts or anything. But I'll take what I can get.

Thanks for the help though.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Probably your DNS provider was ignoring the low TTL we had set for a day or so prior to the switchover. Those dicks.

• Options
    IcyLiquid wrote:
    Probably your DNS provider was ignoring the low TTL we had set for a day or so prior to the switchover. Those dicks.

How long were you secretly lurking and studying our ways before becoming The Local Vanilla Guy?

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    MKR wrote:
    IcyLiquid wrote:

How long were you secretly lurking and studying our ways before becoming The Local Vanilla Guy?

It's like he's always been one of us.

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Truthfully? Never read these forums until they were about to become our responsibility, and even then I only read parts of the "vBulletin is dead" thread. However, I have read the webcomic for as long as I can remember :)

• Options
    IcyLiquid wrote:
    Truthfully? Never read these forums until they were about to become our responsibility, and even then I only read parts of the "vBulletin is dead" thread. However, I have read the webcomic for as long as I can remember :)

The comic is training.