As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hard drive failure - not recognized in BIOS anymore

MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
I have a hard drive that failed just a couple hours ago. My computer shut down after I tried closing a video and when it rebooted it said there was no boot drive. I had another drive that I plugged in and was able to install Windows again. I tried various SATA ports and power cables and the drive still won't work. I even have an enclosure that, when connected, Windows detects as probably a drive but no partition/size data. I've already tried PC Inspector and it didn't find anything. I also tried Western Digital's diagnosis program that sees the drive but says there's no readable data. Windows' Devices & Printers panel shows the enclosure but no working drive. As mentioned in the thread title, BIOS doesn't see it, either.

I wouldn't be too frustrated at this, but I've been editing a video for quite some time and didn't make any backups whatsoever and would like to not have to edit it all over again. Anyone have any suggestions?

MrDelish on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    It's likely out of reach of anyone except a data recovery place. You could try booting into Hiren's Boot CD and running ViVARD on it, but if your BIOS doesn't see it it's likely that ViVA won't either.

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Yep, you are cooked.

Sorry dude. Your only bet at this point is to send it in to a data recovery place if you absoultely want the data recovered

be warned that this type of process will usually cost $250 at minimum, and 500-1000 isnt unheard of. Often you are better off recreating the work.

• Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    On the plus side hard drives tend to have long warranties so you can likely get it replaced for free. You will lose your data though.

Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    for those interested, my new hard drive just got fried in the same way. Obviously there's a short somewhere in this computer; is there a chance it's only the PSU or could it also possibly be the motherboard?

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I'd assume it's the PSU, the motherboard wouldn't be frying it through the data connection I wouldn't think. But then I've never even heard of this before now, so...you have my condolences and report back how you fix it. :P