As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How do I get this burnt black shit out of the bottom of my roommate's pan so she'll

SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
stop bitching about it?

I mean, I feel bad for scorching her gear, mea culpa and all that, but Jesus Christ to hear her talk you'd think I'd killed her dog or something.

Anyway, I scrubbed the shit out of it to try and get it back to it's semi-shiny previous state, and this is the result:

071911145856.jpg

I tried boiling water in it to loosen up the black before I scrubbed the shit out of it again, but it only helped a little.

So, does anyone know of a decent way to get the burnt stuff out of the bottom of a pan, or is it just tattooed for life?

SmokeStacks on

• EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This once happened to me, almost the exact same situation. Was doing too many things at once and burned the bottom of someones pot. Scrubbed it in the sink for hours, soaked it for hours, tried boiling it with water for hours, not much luck.

The one thing that ended up working for me was scrubbing away at it with Ajax for what seems like hours, or in other cases steel wool has helped. Good luck!

Edit: Alternatively, buy her a newer (and possibly better?) pan!

Endaro on
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    What are you using to scrub with, just a sponge? Try a scouring pad.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Stainless steel? Try Barkeeper's Friend.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Fill it with warm water, add baking soda, and wait for a few hours.

huntresssig.jpg
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    There is this really strong soap that you can soak things like this in over night. Here in Denmark it's called what translates to "Brown soap" in English - if you go to a store that sells cleaning equipment for pros they will have something like it. It should do the trick.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bar Keepers Friend or oven cleaner. I've heard you could also use a dryer sheet, but haven't tried it myself.

Djeet on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Thirding Bar Keeper's Friend. It's really cheap too. Like $3 or something.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Buy her a newer and better pan.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Cool, thanks for the info guys. I'll give the barkeeper's friend and some more elbow grease a shot, and if that doesn't work I'll move up from there.

• MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    Add two tablespoons of cream of tartar to a cup or so of water and boil for 10 minutes

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote:

This plus the BKF. That looks a pretty cheap pan. Buy a cast iron, and she will have it until she dies.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote:
    JebusUD wrote:

This plus the BKF. That looks a pretty cheap pan. Buy a cast iron, and she will have it until she dies.

Make sure you know how to care for a cast iron before buying one. Those can get fucked up even faster than a normal one.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    This amuses me because your name is SmokeStacks.

Do you happen to know what the pan is made of? Really harsh stuff can pit or scratch some kinds of metal cookware (that's bad), so you might want to take it easy with some of those chemicals. That's if the pan was expensive enough to worry about.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Oven cleaner should do it. But it is total overkill and incredibly caustic. So do it outside wearing gloves.

• TerraTerra Registered User regular
    Stainless steel is the way to go, as long as it isn't a non-stick pot. I also frequently leave pots and cookie sheets messed up this way. Brillo pad and one minute and you'll have all the gunk off. Just make sure to wear a glove unless you're also trying to scrub off your skin.

• Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    a nonstick frying pan is like 10-20 bucks at target. i did the same thing while trying to pan cook a deer steak (directions were for a cast iron skillet, as i found out to my chagrin). I've never used barkeepers friend, but something tells me there is no way you are getting that back to 100%.

Some Ladies are very protective of their cookware, especially if that's the only pan of that size she has.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    There's power gel dissolver stuff you can buy for this kind of thing. Clean it as best you can (which you already did), dry it, spray on the gel, wait a half hour, then clean again. Rinse & repeat. Works pretty well.