As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PAG] The First Annual CF Pokemon Tournament!

SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Critical Failures
The First Annual Critical Failures Pokemon Tournament!

The biggest gathering of aspiring Pokemon trainers on the continent.
waterbros2.gif

A chance for eight rising trainers to make their name and put their Pokemon to the ultimate test.
grassbros02.gif

Countless Pokemon will fall, thousands will watch, one will be crowned champion.
firebros2.gif

Awesome, so this is like those other Pokemon games on Critical Failures right?
Nope, totally unrelated. I was aware of a number of other Pokemon RPGs when I decided to write this game but none of them really appealed to me. If you're used to the in-depth stats, intricate tweaking and highly-tested balance of the Pokemon Tabletop Adventures game then this is going to be rather different. Probably best to leave preconceptions at the door. You can read my Pokemon Action Game in its very early stages here.

Reading a game in googledocs? Give me a break...
Wait! You don't really need to read most of it for the purposes of the tournament. You can ignore the sections on Feats, Catching Pokemon and Training.

Wait, this isn't anything like Pokemon. You messed up all the types and Ponyta doesn't even have Ember. What gives?
As I said, try to drop your preconceptions from other Pokemon games and focus on what makes the Pokemon setting fun. I have clear reasons for slaughtering each of the sacred cows I have and they're hopefully explained in the doc.

Which Pokemon can I choose?
You will choose three pokemon (no duplicates) that fit the following requirements.
- Are from the original pokedex of 151 pokemon.
- Are the first in an evolution chain of at least two pokemon. This rule ignores baby pokemon.
- Permitted exceptions to these rules are Cyndaquil, Buizel and Hoothoot.
- This includes Pokemon that are not currently in the main game doc, as I can write up new ones quickly and easily.
- Dratini fits these rules but is not allowed for the sake of balance.

What are baby Pokemon? How do I know the original 151?
As a resource for answering and Pokemon questions I can't recommend Bulbapedia enough. That should explain everything you need and then some.

Ha! I found a totally broken Pokemon, I'm going to win!
The system is currently in the extremely early stages and balance, not being one of my core goals anyway, is a little wonky. I'd advise that for the purposes of fun you don't go and analyse the numerically best pokemon choice and just grab the guys you like. You know you already have your favourites! In addition, don't go getting too attached to the stats and mechanics of each pokemon, as I reserve the right to alter them before the game if I notice a glaring error.

It almost sounds like this is just a glorified playtest...]
Well... maybe... but you can win a crown! I've had much success with this way of testing games!

So, the system?
The system itself is designed with the following aims in mind.
- Capture the spirit of Pokemon rather than the specific mechanics of the various games.
- Be quick and rules-lite, focus on action not numbers.
- Make it easy to create new Pokemon and attacks.
- Don’t sweat on balance but make each Pokemon appealing.
- Have Pokemon do what they should be able to do, not tied down to moves from the video games.

What is this Spirit of Pokemon?
This game aims to take Pokemon back to its core concept and kill off some of the sacred cows that detract from it. To me Pokemon is about:
- A whole bunch of crazy animals with unique abilities. A Pokemon is neat because it’s a giant fire-breathing bug, not because of the numbers behind it.
- Fights are fast and action packed, not chess-matches of buffs, debuffs and a dozen status effects. The right move can end a match if you pull it off.
- A Pokemon knows its attacks from its breed but can improvise around those attacks and use them in exciting and often implausible ways under the right trainer.
- Countering a Pokemon with a type it’s weak against will help but not ensure victory.
- Pokemon can be used in interesting ways outside of battles.

Of course you may think differently, but this is the pokemon game I want to play, not one written for the broadest appeal.

Okay, so I'm on board. What do you need from me?
Declare you're signing up in the thread. Making your Trainer is a little different than the current method in the doc, due to the nature of the tournament.
- Choosing a Trainer from the Sample Trainers section and rename them as you see fit.
- You may swap the Trainer's Stress Fix and Bonus Power with those of any other trainer, mixing and matching as you see fit.
- Post your finished Trainer in the thread.

Next, in secret, choose your three Pokemon, following the rules detailed above, and PM your choices to me.

Now, wait while the other Trainers gather for the tournament. I'll allow just over a week for signups, as I'm away until Saturday 30th, so will have limited internet access until then.

What about some more detailed rules of the tournament?
It will be a standard knockout tournament format. If I get more than eight applicants I'll consider expanding it, but I'm deliberately holding back on some info at the moment. Needless to say some matches will have twists. The important thing to remember is that this will be played out as more forum game than RPG, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't ham up your posts!

Happy to answer any further questions in the thread or over in #mafia on irc.slashnet.org

Confirmed Trainers

kime
Lucedes
Capfalcon
Zandracon
Egos
Matev
piL
Apologies for the lack of fanciness in this OP, I'm struggling with the new forum. Will make it look a bit nicer when I've got to grips with things.

SUPERSUGA on

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Uh, this sounds like the most fun basically ever. I have never played a game like this however.

I will sign up and look over the trainer list

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    What do you expect the time commitment to be? I think I could have fun with this, but I may be sporadically very busy next week...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    i wanna be

the very best

EDIT:

on second thought, after reading the rules, i may not.

!reserve up.

Lucedes on
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I'm perfectly willing to poke some mons.

• SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    Lucedes: Does that mean you're in or out?

Kime: It won't start until next weekend and a couple of very quick turns a day should be fine. If you're unsure I'll catch you on irc soon to reassure you.

Everyone else welcome aboard!

edited July 2011
    EDITFACE: i'm in.

your design is interesting. kind of rough but good, low granularity (++good).
    possibly too low, honestly, but much better than the other direction, in general.
    yr principles are generally solid.

Lucedes on
    I sign up :)

Steam profile
  • simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Count me in!

Lucedes wrote:
    your design is interesting. kind of rough but good, low granularity (++good).
    possibly too low, honestly, but much better than the other direction, in general.
    yr principles are generally solid.
    It's most definitely rough and only very lightly tested at this point. There's a very low granularity, with even a +1 bonus to an attack being a significant deal, but as you said that can often be a good thing. As you're generally dealing with 1 vs 1 fights, there are unlikely to be a whole bunch of modifiers stacking together, so I wanted all bonuses and penalties to be significant.

• ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    This sounds interesting, if you need more people count me iinnnn

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Count me In. I'll be out in the first round :O

Great! Around in the irc channel for most of today if anyone needs some help sorting out their Trainer and Pokemon.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Dammit Suga, you had me at pokemon (If you still need people of course)

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    gonna be a rebel, win with my favorite pokemon

YEEHAW

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm reading through this, and I gotta say, it's certainly a good way to handle it. Pokemon Tabletop adventures is fascinating with it's almost frightening thoroughness, but I wouldn't ever, you know, play it on a table top, since OMG RULEZ AVALANCHE!

Eh, PTA you could play on the tabletop, you just need to make sure you have your character sheet properly notated, in my opinion.

That said, I do like this version's "Stress" system instead of HP and the shift away from hardcore game mechanics to more "Stylized" fights where type advantage, etc. does not have as heavy a hand in determining the fight's outcome.

Hail Hydra
    You're in, matev!

All right then, Bad Dude it is.

Marion
    Stress Limit: 5
    Feat Dice: Intimidation 6, Muscle 4, Other 2.
    Stress Fix
    Unquestioning Obedience: Your Pokemon has caused Stress but triggered an attack or effect that benefits the opposing Pokemon.

Bonus Power
    Bark Orders: When you make a Super Attack that causes Stress the opposing trainer gains 1 Stress.

Hail Hydra
    As the game is so different to PTA I'd rather avoid too much comparison. There's certainly room for more than one pokemon game!

While matev makes it 8 players I'm happy to have more, as I've still got a few surprises up my sleeve...

Looks good matev. Remember you can swap out the trainer's bonus power or stress fix with that of another trainer if you want.

I'm going to be a...

Nice Trainer!
    Feat Dice: Empathy 6, Cowardice 4, Other 2.
    Stress Fix
    Protective: Your Pokemon has not taken any Stress since its last turn.
    Bonus Power
    Special Bond: When your Pokemon gains Stress from an attack you may gain double that amount of Stress yourself instead.

I'm actually good with the powers as they are, surprisingly.

Hail Hydra
    Both those trainers are fine and thanks to those who've pmed their pokemon. I'm away from tomorrow till Saturday so will have limited access in that time. If people can finish their trainers and pokemon we can start as soon as I'm back.

Like I said, new players are also welcome! I can work with an odd number.

Right, I'll get on that now.

I have an old friend who wants to say hi!

JACK STONE HAS RETURNED!

Feat Dice: Martial Arts 6, Philosophy 4, Other 2.

Stress Fix
    Well Trained: Your Pokemon has caused at least 3 Stress with Normal or Psychic attacks since your last turn.
    Bonus Power
    Closed Mind:
    When an opponent makes an unsuccessful Psychic Attack against one of your Pokemon they gain 1d6 Stress.

• piLpiL Registered User regular
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    As the game is so different to PTA I'd rather avoid too much comparison. There's certainly room for more than one pokemon game!

While matev makes it 8 players I'm happy to have more, as I've still got a few surprises up my sleeve...

Ooh! Ooh! Me me me!
    I'll design a trainer in a bit.

• ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    Mr. Science
    Feat Dice: Science 6, Madness 4, Other 2.
    Stress Fix
    Charge Elements: You have gained a bonus to Electric, Fire or Water attacks since your last turn. This includes bonuses that effect all attacks.
    Bonus Power
    Closed Mind: When an opponent makes an unsuccessful Psychic Attack against one of your Pokemon they gain 1d6 Stress.

i will be pokemaster maybe

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    I'll go with the inappropriately titled

GHOSTMAN
    Feat Dice: Acrobatics 6, Riding 4, Other 2.
    Stress Fix
    Rapid Fire: You have made at least two attacks or caused Stress from two separate sources since your last turn.
    Bonus Power
    One-Two Combo: If you make more than one attack on your turn you add 1 to attacks after the first.

he has the mask of a Haunter but does he have the heart?
    the answer is no

Ok, just got back today so will sort through the info people have given me and see what else I need. Stay tuned!

excited bouncing!

Looks like we only have 5 trainers started up so the rest have 24 hours to get theirs sorted or else I'll run with a smaller number of players.

I'll get mine in at the tail end of those 24 hours :P. I'll have a lot more free time starting tomorrow afternoon.

Steam profile
    edited July 2011
    Everett Tehm
    Feat Dice: Strategy 6, Deception 4, Other 2.
    Stress Fix
    Strike Weakness:
    You used an attack which your opponent has no defence against since your last turn.
    Bonus Power
    One-Two Combo:
    If you make more than one attack on your turn you add 1 to attacks after the first.

It's not my fault if I have to hurt people and their pokemon. It's part of the job.

piL on
    I am....

Beelzebub!
    Feat Dice: Science 6, Madness 4, Other 2.
    Stress Fix
    Rapid Fire: You have made at least two attacks or caused Stress from two separate sources since your last turn.
    Bonus Power
    Exploit Opening: Add 2 to the first attack you make against a Pokemon that has used a Super Attack.

Steam profile
    I hope you're all prepared, becuase Elliot Tehm has never lost a fight!

piL wrote:
    I hope you're all prepared, becuase Elliot Tehm has never lost a fight!

...Has Elliot Tehm ever won a fight?

I don't see what that has to do with anything.

Will post the first round draw and instructions tomorrow, make sure you have all your info in and have read the basics of the rules.

Round One

The First Round of the CF Pokemon Tournament will initially consist of three matches, each with a secret added twist to be revealed on the day of the match. The draw is as follows.

Ghostman (Egos) vs Jack Stone (Capfalcon)
    Lucedes vs Everett Tehm (piL)
    Marion (Matev) vs Beelzebub (Kime)

In addition to the three winners of this round one of the losers, chosen at random, will be given a second chance, facing off against our Wildcard. The winner of this match will join the others in the semi finals.

Second Chance Wildcard: Mr Science (Zandracon)

Posting and Playing

All rolls will be made using invisible castle or orokos using your form username and the game name “CF Pokemon”. As there is no input needed from the defender the attacker can calculate how much stress they have caused themselves, without needing any input from me. Just remember to check if the opposing pokemon has any modifiers currently active or a bonus power that’s triggered by your attack. If you’re unsure about anything don’t hesitate to ask for clarification in the thread or in the IRC channel. In particular take note of how the matches will begin, copied from the rules:
    At the start of the battle, before the first turn begins, both players throw down their chosen Pokemon simultaneously, choosing their Pokemon before they know which their opponent has chosen.

Roll off to see which trainer acts first. Turns then alternate between these trainers. If a trainer does not currently have an active Pokemon thrown down they must throw one down at the next opportunity or else forfeit the battle.
    As such, I’ll need each trainer to PM me the first pokemon they’ll be throwing down before the match. If you make it to the second round you’re free to change this choice. To speed things up I’ve rolled for who gets the first turn, so we can get straight into the action. The person listed first in the match will act first.

Match One: Ghostman (Egos) vs Jack Stone (Capfalcon)

The twist on this match is... White Water Arena

2515666scenicwaterfallw.jpg

This match takes place in an arena built around extremely dangerous rapids, with only slippery, jagged rocks to stand safely on. Even Pokemon most at home in water couldn't stand up to these torrential currents.

Arena Special Rule
    Swept Away: A pokemon that takes 4 or more Damage from a single attack is swept into the Water, facing an immediate 1d6 Water Attack and subtracting 2 from their next attack while they get their footing.

Ghostman will act first, but the match will not begin until I have received PMs declaring the first Pokemon each trainer will throw down. As soon as I have these I'll begin the match.

I have Capfalcon's PM so Egos can start the match in here by throwing down his first Pokemon.