As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[nsfw] or hardly working?

lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
edited December 2016 in Artist's Corner
Hi folks, I'm making a new thread because I haven't updated the other one in a long time and I am tired of it. Hopefully the things I post in this one will be better, because now I am done with college and get to go study painting!

I brought a friend with me.

head.jpg

He brought friends, too.

tents.jpg

I had a lot of fun with this one :)

whole.jpg

peeps-1.jpg

lyrium on

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    I think it's great!

I can't offer any critiques, I just wanted to say that it is great.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like it. Reminds me of the Futurama movie :P.

What did you make it in/on?

Winky on
  • flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Looks awesome! I love the colors!

Is he holding little tiny people too?

If they're not little tiny people then I guess I'm a little confused by the perspective, unless some of those testicles are reeeally far away

EDIT: okay I meant tentacles. But I'm really bad at spelling, so I just hit the spellcheck button and the first option just happened to be "testicles" so...

flowerhoney on
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    unless some of those testicles are reeeally far away

Tell me that was inadvertent so I can giggle proper.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    squidbunny wrote: »
    unless some of those testicles are reeeally far away

Tell me that was inadvertent so I can giggle proper.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

oh my god, I am terrible

wow maybe I should proof read my posts

flowerhoney on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    I really like how the colors work with the highlights of the head/body or whatever the main part of a squid is called.

If I had made this I would hang it on a wall where everyone could see it.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really like the guy who's sitting down. Looks like he's just thinking, "ahh nuts" or "first I get a flat tire and NOW THIS"

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Amazing likeness. It's like looking into a mirror.

theSquid on
  • oscarmanoscarman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is fantastic, the colours are pefect. Well done.

oscarman on
    signature2.jpg
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    awesome lyrium. keep posting!!!

ninjai on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thanks folks! It's acrylic and ink on panel board. The idea is that this is the all powerful mega squid, and he's here with all of the people in an abstract space.

I have been looking at different artists teaching about figure drawing and doing sketches from photos of people as I go along. There is much more to come of this sort of thing.

Reading Bammes:

05-22-03.jpg

5-22-01.jpg

Checking out Gist:

05-22-04.jpg

Working on Vilppu:

05-22-02.jpg

lyrium on
    edited June 2011
    I started doing some arm anatomy studies. The nice thing is I think taking my anatomy class for biology was really helpful, because I had to memorize all of the little bumps and ridges and got to handle real bones, so it is easy to make sense of the form of what I am looking at. Bones are weird, guys.

study-arm01.jpg

I am super excited for my first drawing class tomorrow!

lyrium on
    edited June 2011
    I did a little more:

study-arm02.jpg

I realized that even though I feel like I am always breaking things down into simple planes in my head, when I actually tried to draw and light the simple planes from imagination I had a really hard time. So... maybe working from still life would help with that?

My class was postponed a week so it doesn't start until Tuesday :(

lyrium on
    edited July 2011
    This is the last figure drawing I did but it is a couple of months old. Hopefully the next one I finish will be an improvement.

figure01.jpg

lyrium on
    edited July 2011
    Well, no one has commented since the squid, but I'll keep posting.
    This is a drawing of my instructor that I did today. I think that I'm improving?

head01.jpg

lyrium on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    You are most certainly improving, Lyrium. Studies don't seem to elicit the most comments, and I think its because alot of us are doing the same grind and feel under-qualified to critique.

Your bones look good, and if being able to construct figures is your goal, I encourage you to start combining drawings, so don't just do a detailed bone drawing and a quick gesture/polygon figure seperatly, but do a polygon figure lightly and see if you can start to place the proper joints inside of it.

How are classes going?

Iruka on
    edited July 2011
    I'm not commenting because the new network aren't allowed me to look at your pritty pitchers :( It blocks all images hosted by imageshack/photobucket et al.

But I Juan to see them!

ninjai on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've become aware that I don't know much at all about this development.
    So I will just say that in general I think you are improving a lot.

Tam on
    edited July 2011
    Iruka- doing the combination drawings is a great idea and I will do that. Classes are going well; I feel like I am learning a lot pretty quickly, which is cool. I'm the only noob at the studio so it is pretty motivating to see the work of the other people there.

Here are some pictures of the cast drawing I am working on, but they were taken on my phone since I can't really bring the drawing home yet.

cast1.jpg

cast2.jpg

cast3.jpg

cast4.jpg

This is the long pose so far:

figure1.jpg

I never used vine charcoal before this and it really shows, hah.
    Tam wrote: »
    I've become aware that I don't know much at all about this development.
    So I will just say that in general I think you are improving a lot.

Thanks Tam, but I don't know what that first part means?

lyrium on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That last one looks like it could have used some more time in the structure/layout phase.
    The legs seem quite short. Was there a light sketch before you built this up? or did you just go right for it?

NakedZergling on
    edited July 2011
    I spent a few hours laying it in to get to that point, but you are right that it looks pretty short. So I was all excited to go and fix it today (because Thursday is when the model comes in), but it turned out she is injured and couldn't come in! I looked at it anyway and I suspect that my original photo was taken from a downward slant, so that the perspective made the lower part of the drawing too small, because looking straight on they are not so bad. Here is another picture, although it looks like this one might be slanted the other way a little, darn it.

longpose01.jpg

I think the lower leg still might be a little small though, so I will look at that carefully when she (hopefully!) comes back next week. I am also not so sure about her arms.

We had a substitute model just for today:

figure02.jpg

lyrium on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    significantly different. The angle was totally distorting it. I would be careful about only using line to define the form though. The last one you posted is really nice. Good sense of light and mass. The line one, i only speak to out of concern because my stuff is too line based, which always gives it a comic type feel.

Good work. keep it up and post more!

NakedZergling on
  • oscarmanoscarman Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    lyrium wrote: »
    cast3.jpg

cast4.jpg

It might just be the quality of the photo, but i really like the first one more than the last one. It really feels like there is a strong light on it, and the contrast is much better in my opinion.

oscarman on
    signature2.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Hm, I see what you mean about the contrast. The lightest parts and dark shadows went untouched between those photos, so I guess adding the mid-tones is kind of washing it out. I better make sure that the shadow parts are dark enough as I keep going. Some of my mid-tones might be too dark as well. I will check it when I go to class tomorrow, thanks for the heads-up!

lyrium on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    at one of the CA ateliers?

You are growing exponentially. My only advice is-- Ask lots, and lots of questions.

Kendeathwalker on
    edited July 2011
    Thanks! I am at SORA in Chicago.

Here is where I am at after today; I ended up darkening the shadow quite a bit:

cast01-5.jpg

lyrium on
    Also, the model returned today. The pose was probably pretty much the same but I did change the leg a bit. Here it is after today:

longpose02.jpg

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Wow, this is starting to look pretty god damn fantastic, the tonal range is awesome.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I have to agree, your tone and contrast is excellent. It's crazy to see how well you've developed over time.

You've gotten better than me, I am so jealous.

• rtsrts Registered User regular
    I think you need to watch some of your reflected light, particularly on the nose. It's getting a bit bright. You don't want to lose that overall feeling of 2 values.

• maa703maa703 Registered User regular
    very nice dude, keep it up, your steadily getting better and better!

edited July 2011
    Mustang and maa, thanks a bunch!
    Cake, thanks for pointing that out. I worked on the reflected light and kept the 2 values thing at the front of my mind today and I think it looks a lot better now.
    Winky, if someone walked up to us on campus and demanded drawings of Sonic the Hedgehog, you would win. And isn't that the only legitimate way to judge drawing ability?

Here it is after today:

cast01-9.jpg

I feel good about it so far, especially since we don't use blending stumps or anything there.
    I really appreciate the input, folks :)

lyrium on
    edited August 2011
    I'm still working on the long pose, though we still have one more session for it. Here it is after today:

longpose03.jpg

The arm and thigh closest to us are a little farther ahead than the rest.
    Also I am going to post some thumbnails tomorrow for another big painting :)
    I just moved into an apartment with no internet so things are a little tricky, haha.

lyrium on
    Okay, well today was our last session with the model, so I guess this is finished! My first real figure drawing from life :)
    This is a stupid camera-phone photo but it will be a while before I can get anything better:

longpose01-4.jpg

• KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    the hands and feet are pretty weak. I'm really liking the way you are applying your charcoal, feels like an impressionist painting. Overall a pretty successful first figure.

Kendeathwalker on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    I feel like there's a lot of good depth in this
    also yeah, the hands and feet are weak

You two are completely right, those hands and feet are shameful. I got a little flustered because they look different every time the model sits down, but I think more confidence with those body parts will help for next time. So I'm about to practice a bunch of hands. I still don’t have internet so posting is tough. I have been working on the cast still and I think it’s about done, but the atelier starts again for the fall tomorrow so I will know for certain after the instructor looks at it.
    In the meantime I am deciding on a composition for a painting that maybe I could get some input on. I going to do 5 paintings of monsters and the first one is a carnivorous insect-like monster. In this world the carnivorous types that like to cook use hands in their dishes as complex and varied flavoring agents (because the different things people require of their hands depending on their life will impart certain flavors, like a musician’s hand versus an accountant’s hand, etc). This character is a hand vendor, so he is part-chef/part-businessperson and he knows the intricacies of using hands as ingredients. Once I decide on which composition to use, I will sketch different ideas for exactly how he will look, but I know he needs a big belly, a big “nose”, and fangs reminiscent of a chef mustache.
    The photos are pretty bad because I don’t have a scanner at the moment, but both show the insect monster at a table in the shop, inspecting and taking notes on a hand in the first sketch and helping customers in the second one. In general the background will contain hands in jars labeled with different career descriptions as well as books, knives/tools, and hands hanging from up high. Painting all of the clutter shouldn’t be a problem because the canvas is pretty big, I will just have to try to use the values to keep the image from being too confusing. I did more little thumbnails but these are the two that I liked the best so I fleshed them out a little more.

monster1sketch1.jpg

I like this first one because there is more focus on the character’s expertise as he looks over and measures the hand. I like the creepy hand in the lower corner being a little unsettling and helping point the viewer’s attention upward. I like the upward direction in this one in general. I’m not sure what I would put in the upper right corner yet, just that it’s something hanging and closer to the viewer with a darker value.

monster1sketch2.jpg

I like this second one because I get to see more of the environment and a few customers, as well as having room for a few boxes with the hand store’s logo and name to help the viewer know what is happening.

Any thoughts?

The second seems a little more focused in my opinion. I think the first one would work better to convey him working on something if he had more of a posture like in the second one.

The limbs and the curving posture in the second one help centralize the focus on the paper that he's writing on, but in the first with all the limbs every which way it seem much more sporadic./thoughts

I'm sure I'll like either of them. :)

edited September 2011
    Hm. I do want to show him working, but I kind of like the posture in the first one. Maybe if I could convey him carefully analyzing the hand by measuring it or something. I agree that it centers on the paper in the second one, but I don't want it to, because who cares about paper. The next sketch I do will be similar to the first one but I will try to make him more analytical, and organize the legs.

My cast drawing is done, and maybe some day I will be able to scan it. For now, a phonto.
    cast01photo.jpg

Also some gestures. I really could use input on these from other people who have done this:

gesture002.jpg
    gesture008.jpg
    gesture010.jpg
    gesture011.jpg
    gesture013.jpg
    gesture014.jpg
    gesture015.jpg
    gesture016.jpg
    gesture017.jpg
    gesture018.jpg
    gesture021.jpg

This was a two day pose: