As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Infinity] N3 out: Only in USAriadna can you find a Coke Bottling Plant in the year 2185

• CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Eh, my gamestore only has three starter boxes for sale (none of the factions I fancy), and I can't get anyone to start. I'd use maptool, but people take so long to finish their turns; I mean seriously, it shouldn't take you twenty minutes a turn for a 250 point game.

Carnarvon on
  • PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Must ..resist ...starting..to..play..this..as.well.

PixelMonkey on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Eh, my gamestore only has three starter boxes for sale (none of the factions I fancy), and I can't get anyone to start. I'd use maptool, but people take so long to finish their turns; I mean seriously, it shouldn't take you twenty minutes a turn for a 250 point game.

Doesn't take that long when people get used to the software. Especially us. :P

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited July 2011
    280547-0302-azul.jpg

Oh god, why are these minis so fantastic.

@Otaku: I've been out of the loop for a few months, if you don't mind me having forgot all the rules I'll play you. It'll take a bit, though; I'm in the middle of formatting.

Carnarvon on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So we busted out the old Necromunda box from one of the cabinets at the LGS today. We put a bunch of buildings together for Infinity and took a few pictures after throwing out random odd models. The results were glorious.

Pics to come tomorrow/later today.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    So we busted out the old Necromunda box from one of the cabinets at the LGS today. We put a bunch of buildings together for Infinity and took a few pictures after throwing out random odd models. The results were glorious.

Pics to come tomorrow/later today.
    So... where are they?

OH SHIT. I didn't post them up? Hold on.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ecg41hg6cjp6c6a Here you go. I put them all up in a rar file.

makosig.jpg
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    OH SHIT. I didn't post them up? Hold on.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ecg41hg6cjp6c6a Here you go. I put them all up in a rar file.

sweet oh by the way how does ALEPH play?

The bulk of their firepower is concentrated from 0-24 inches. They're very durable- everything that isn't a REM or Myrmidon, the Posthuman Mk 3 or Achilles has NWI (Or Dogged, in the Naga's case). All of their medics/engineers are WIP 15, and all of their hackers except the Myrmidon and possibly Dasyu are WIP 15 as well.

They have very limited access to HMGs- you only see them in REMs and their TAG. Lots of TO Camouflaged hackers here, too. They're also unique in that their basic infantry is a speedy REM with mimetism. This makes them horrible on the defense, but amazing on the offense.

makosig.jpg
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    The bulk of their firepower is concentrated from 0-24 inches. They're very durable- everything that isn't a REM or Myrmidon, the Posthuman Mk 3 or Achilles has NWI (Or Dogged, in the Naga's case). All of their medics/engineers are WIP 15, and all of their hackers except the Myrmidon and possibly Dasyu are WIP 15 as well.

They have very limited access to HMGs- you only see them in REMs and their TAG. Lots of TO Camouflaged hackers here, too. They're also unique in that their basic infantry is a speedy REM with mimetism. This makes them horrible on the defense, but amazing on the offense.

Welp now I know what faction to go for thanks.

No prob.

makosig.jpg
    That is some badass terrain, Otaku. How much did that all cost to put together?

edited July 2011
    We had the Necromunda box collecting dust in one of the store's display cabinets' lower drawers for years. We decided to bust it out and slap some terrain together.

The non-Necromunda pieces? Dunno. They've always been there.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Captain SlowCaptain Slow Registered User regular
    Sup folks; Long time listener, first time poster.

First off; I for one am extremely jealous of all that Necromunda terrain OtakuD00D. my local GW/Gaming club has a lot of large 'Solid' terrain pieces, some vacuum from, some GW Cities of death terrain kits done in solid 'Blocks' that make games like Necromunda and infinity a pain in the ass to play with any degree of detail besides ground of first level combat. So, yes. Insanely jealous!

I have a quick question; I'm pretty new new to infinity. Only picking up a hardback copy of the 2nd edition rulebook about a month ago from my local gaming club and I'm s to get my head wrapped around the basics; I have an intro game with some of the locals who play infinity on a semi-regular basis in a few weeks.
    Right now, I have not forked out for any of the starter sets. But I want to, the problem i'm having is I LOVE the look of the new nomad bakunin models and so I am leaning towards a Bakunin Jurisdictional Command starter set, that or a Kurgat strike regiment (again, the new Kurgat models look really nice and appear really well sculpted in my humble opinion, specifically the Zerat and multi-sniper Yaogat); but they are both sectoral armies. my question is, would a sectoral army be a real pain to learn to play with considering I'm a rank amateur and general all round Newb to infinity?

"Nobody here but us chickens."

WTB: Bolter & Chainsword 2010 Dice for ££'s PM me for more information!
    edited July 2011
    Not necessarily, although Sectorial armies -do- limit what you can field. What they DO have available tends to be available in higher quantities than normal, at least, on top of having lower SWC costs as well. Any merc models listed in a Sectorial list count as in-faction (AKA: Senor Massacre in the Correigdor sectorial). The other main thing is Linked Squads. They're a whole 'nother thing to get into, but once you're comfortable with your stuff, you should give it a shot a couple games in if you do start with Sectorials.

They're pretty awesome. You grab between three and five grunts of the same type with the Linked rule. You start them off linked or spend a LT order to link them up. They all activate as one guy with one order- in the active turn, you select a link leader and move him around. Everyone else has to stay inside his Zone of Control. He's the one who shoots in the active turn. No one else does. This sounds pretty bad, but here's the catch- linked squads gain pretty kickass bonuses. At 3 people, the link leader gets +1 to his burst value. 4 people: He gains Sixth Sense L2 and a +3 WIP bonus to discover rolls. 5 people: +3 to BS. EVERYONE GETS THIS BONUS IN THE REACTIVE TURN!

Basically, linked squads are incredibly powerful in the reactive turn, though they do give you a pretty nice punch in the active turn.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    To go a bit further: every order you spend on the team for movement means the entire team moves. And every order you spend on the team allows you to choose a new team leader for that order. So, if you have 5 dudes, one of which is an HMG and one of which is a multi-sniper, you can spend one order to move the whole team and shoot the HMG, and then spend the next order to move the whole team and shoot the sniper.

Linked teams are really baller, the CE Morat ones can get pretty gross especially from what I've been told.

edited July 2011
    The Corregidor sectorial army lets you take linked Alguiciles, who, may I remind you, can take Missile Launchers. Sure, you're limited to 5 rockets a turn, but getting to shoot 4 in two orders is pretty bitchin'.

Carnarvon on
    Regular rocket launchers don't have a firing limit. That's just guided missiles.

makosig.jpg
    Twenty rockets a round seems pretty baller.

Fortunately that's impossible.

[citation needed]

SJ wrote:

http://infinitythegame.wikispot.org/Missile_Launcher_(ML)

Missile Launchers have no cap. Guided ML can only fire five times. The two varieties of Ariadnan GML can fire unlimited times in dumbfire mode or three times in Guided mode.

makosig.jpg
    Otaku, would you be up for a Maptool game sometime this week? I was thinking a nice 150pt warm up, and maybe something bigger later.

edited July 2011
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    SJ wrote:

http://infinitythegame.wikispot.org/Missile_Launcher_(ML)

Missile Launchers have no cap. Guided ML can only fire five times. The two varieties of Ariadnan GML can fire unlimited times in dumbfire mode or three times in Guided mode.

Which doesn't change the fact that you can only spend orders from the models in your group, and a maximum of 10 models per group means a maximum of ten orders for a single model in a turn. So no, you cannot fire 20 rockets in a turn from that model, like Carnarvon was suggesting.

SJ on
    edited July 2011
    http://infinitythegame.wikispot.org/Support_Bonuses
    The number of miniatures in the Linked Team with the Team Leader determines the Bonus he gets thanks to their presence.

Each level of Linked Team includes the previous ones:

Linked Team of 3 figures (Team Leader + 2 figures): In an active turn, the Team Leader has a Modifier of +1 to the Burst of his weapons. In a reactive turn, all members of the Team receive the same Bonus.

Carnarvon on
    Oh, I was unaware of that, never seen a linked team used in person. Oh well. It'll still never happen.

An Alguacile with a ML is 22 points, and two grunts with rifles is another 20, bringing you up to 44 points. Sure, any sane opponent will chuck a HMG their way and kill them, but will they survive two Missiles?

Aside from that, it makes a hell of an anti-tank team; you can even make the grunts into Paramedics for another 8 points. Or you could use them to blow out walls.

I mean, you're probably never going to get the opportunity to actually shoot 20 missiles in a turn. You'll either be dead or kill the shit out of the few things you actually do manage to shoot.

Oh, of course. It was more of hyperbolic statement of how useful Sectorials/Link Teams can be; though personally, I think you pay a bit too much in flexibility for what you get. Corregidor particularly has to pay a premium on CH and Hackers, and if you're going for a Mobile Brigada link team, you end up at odds with point costs.

Fair enough, I was kind of wondering about that to be honest. You gain a lot of potential killing power but you have to concentrate it so heavily that it could be difficult to deal with a variety of threats at once.

SJ wrote:
    Fair enough, I was kind of wondering about that to be honest. You gain a lot of potential killing power but you have to concentrate it so heavily that it could be difficult to deal with a variety of threats at once.

Japanese Sectorial probably has the best link team in Keisotsu. Troop rices are fairly cheap and you're paying half a SWC for HMGs and Missile Launchers.

@Carnavaron: Sure thing bro.

makosig.jpg
    I was thinking the Morat one was pretty baller, too. Not having Shasvasti around is a bummer though.

Does the Morat link team have access to the Autocannon?

makosig.jpg
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    Does the Morat link team have access to the Autocannon?

No, but they have access to the Feuerbach which is the same thing with one less damage, multi-sniper, missile launcher, and lots of smoke grenades.

That's fucking ridiculous.

makosig.jpg
    edited July 2011
    And they can still take The Hungries to fill out their order pool if they need to.

It's called the Morat Aggression Force for a reason I guess! :P

SJ on
  • Captain SlowCaptain Slow Registered User regular
    Note to self: Check this thread more often!

ANYWAY
    Thanks for clearing that up folks! it seems a lot of people at my local gaming club have started picking up infinity starter sets over the last month or so. Me thinks if I can raise the cash (since I am pretty much penniless after having just shelled out for C .Hoffman for Malifaux + some constructs to bulk out the Lucius starter set ><) to get a Bakunin Jurisdictional boxed set ASAP.
    Now, not having played even a starter game for infinity; I'm already thinking about bulking out the starter set a bit especially having discovered how... effective (Effective Read: dirty) the link teams can be under certain circumstances. So, I was thinking of picking up either Reverend Moira Superior Cassandra Kusanagi (because the model, while it would appear to be a swine to put together, looks ACE) and some more basic moderators OR a Reverend Custodier and second Sin Eater Observant (swamping the Multi sniper rifle out for a basic multi-rifle in an attempt to bring the SWC down a little bit.).
    So I beseech you Penny arcade community! will you give a Newb a helping hand once again?

"Nobody here but us chickens."

WTB: Bolter & Chainsword 2010 Dice for ££'s PM me for more information!
    Sin Eaters are best used with HMGs or the basic Mk12. The Custodier is also an amazing model and highly recommended if short on points and SWC. Get yourself a unit or two of Uberfallkommandos. They're a melee-centric unit but are absolutely disgusting when they get there. The leader doesn't have the same, horrifyingly disgusting bonus to dodge rolls that her pets do, but she has Zero-V smoke grenades (Meaning not even Multispectral 2+ can see through them) to make her job easier.

Fyi, if you guys have a necromunda box lying around, its terrain is really awesome for this game.

makosig.jpg
    edited July 2011
    If you're going for a Bakunin Sectorial, Kusanagi can link with Moiras while also giving an additional SWC; she's an absolute bitch to kill, so that'll help give your link team a bit more staying power.

Stick with Mk12 Sin-Eaters; SEs can't shoot more than one shot at a time on the active turn, meaning that your HMG is a bit wasted. They're also pretty easy to kill, so you don't want to waste the SWC on them.

Bring some grenade launchers if you take the Custodiers, as they can mark through repeaters. A moderator with an LGL works fine here, otherwise put one on a link team of Moiras for double the fun.

edit: Also, Zeros are bitchin'. Good Forward Observers seeing as you can't take Morans, and they're pretty damned cheap.

Carnarvon on
  • kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    I was lucky enough to get a few learning games in in the past couple of weeks. I've got new respect for the power of no-frills heavy infantry. An Asura, even with just a multi-rifle is a terror on the board when she is played carefully. High Ballistic Skill and Physique, paired with a multi-weapon and a template weapon can cause silly amounts of carnage. She's also tough when outside cover, and crazy-tough when when she has cover.

I also learned how to deal with link teams: drop a template weapon on them.

Does anyone know how AoE weapons like grenade launchers work when they succeed, but lose the face-to-face roll? We had a situation that we couldn't figure out: I shot a grenade launcher at a guy who dodged. We both succeed, but his roll beat mine. We dealt with it by treating the amount by which his roll beat mine as the failure category of a miss.

This discussion has been closed.