As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MU* Codebases

piLpiL Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi, I've been tossing around a few ideas for a MUD. I want to make something with a vastly different play mechanic than what I've seen in MUDs before, even if it's only really a proof of concept. I'm not a very experienced programmer, but I've done a little bit, and what I'm looking for isn't neccessarily some just build-it-and-go type codebase.

Originally, I was waiting for HellMOO's codebase to be released, but I'm not sure if or when that will happen, and I'd rather work with something else. Because I would need to strip out any character statistics and combat systems anyway, I was thinking of just working with another MOO core (or another social MU like MUSH). However, before I went through that (and working with 20 year old code), I thought I'd ask if there were any other codebases anybody would suggest I start with, and the pros and cons of each. I certainly don't want to have to make things like channels, message boards, etc if I don't have to, but I feel like there has to be something newer and better designed in the years since MOO was developed.

Not sure how many MUDders are here, but seems as good place to start. Thanks!

piL on

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    A few years ago (probably a lot of years ago by now...) I messed around quite a bit with NUTS. Maybe try looking at that?

Edit: Google found CoffeeMUD. Maybe that too.

It's tough finding much, because the age of MUDs has kind of come and gone. Good luck though, MUDS are pretty fantastic.

Edit 2: http://sourceforge.net/search/?q=mud I can't speak for any of them in particular, but hopefully you can find one that'll suit your needs.

Suriko on
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I used to work with CircleMUD and did some dev and patches for CWG (CircleMUD brought into modern times). It's more pure hack and slash MUD oriented than MUSH type codebases, but it's very editable and has a great community of active developers who can help with problems and ideas (or did back when I worked with it, forums look active still although front page not so much). Plus it gets bonus points because lead dev/maintainer is from my hometown where I grew up - we were on several of the same old dialup BBSes.

Jimmy King on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    Thank you both. The difficulty in finding anything useful is what inspired me to make this post. I can't find any information on NUTS; do either of you have any experience with CoffeeMUD? How difficult would it be to strip out unneeded bits? I've looked at that Sourceforge page, but without anybody's experience, it's a game blindfolded darts--I just don't know what'll be useful or not.

I've heard and played on CircleMUDs before. Would there be profit in it since I'd have to remove everything? At this point, I think I'm still leaning heavily towards MOO or MUSH, which both have the advantage of already having channels, but without having mechanics to strip away, unless somebody jumps in with some other convincing advice.

• Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    I guess it depends on how much you'd have to remove. If it's most of what has been added, then there's probably not a whole lot to gain.

I also just remembered pennMUSH. I know very little about it, but I used to play on one like 10-11 years ago. One of my friends had access to add weapons, add quests, etc. and really enjoyed it.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    If you're looking for a flexible codebase that you can easily strip, look into Lima. I mean, it hasn't been updated in forever, but what has? (Rapture, lulz, go spend 5000$ on that, yeah right.)

The central command parser alone is worth the entire lib, the rest is just gravy. It's pretty standard code, vaguely C if I recall correctly. It's been ages.

steam_sig.png
  • Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I used to play a mud in high school called Forgotten Kingdoms based on the Forgotten Realms world.

Had some amazing use of colors and a very neat world map. It was originally 2nd edition but it has so far switched to modified 3rd edition ruleset. I had also browsed tons of different muds but never found one that had quite the same simpleness and coloring.

www.forgottenkingdoms.org if you want to take a look.
    Heres it's codebase
    1990 DIKU 1.0 Sebastian Hammer, Michael Seifert, Tom Madsen,
    Hans Henrik Staerfeldt, Katja Nyboe
    01 Aug 1993 Merc 2.1 Furey, Hatchet, Kahn
    01 Dec 1996 SMAUG 1.0 Thoric, Altrag, Blodkai, Narn, Haus, Scryn
    1997 SWMUD 2.6 Created by Martin Gallwey and Kenneth McKeever
    31 Jul 2009 FKMUD 4.1 By Martin Gallwey & The FK Team

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.