As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There are many Fantasies; but this, like the last, was Final [FFXI]

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    More SE account linking info:
    In order to improve the quality of our services, we will be transferring all PlayOnline accounts to Square Enix Accounts.

Transfer Period
    July 27th, 2011 (Wed) to August 31st, 2011 (Wed)

Transfer Process
    In the interests of account security, we ask that all users take action to complete the account transfer process. You can perform the transfer easily by following the instructions on the Account Transfer Page that will be shared on July 27, 2011. This page will detail the transfer process for those users who have a Square Enix ID and those who still need to create a Square Enix ID.
    Please note that a Square Enix ID is REQUIRED to complete the transfer process. To help simplify this process, we strongly suggest that all users complete the Square Enix account creation process and obtain a Square Enix ID prior to the transfer start date. If you need to create a Square Enix ID, please visit:
    https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/register

A PlayOnline ID and password will be required for PlayOnline accounts in order to complete the transfer process. If you need to recover your PlayOnline ID or password, please visit:
    http://support.na.square-enix.com/j/kb11533na

Additional Information
    Special In-Game Bonus
    Users who complete the transfer process prior to the end of the transfer period (August 31, 2011) will be rewarded with a special in-game item for FINAL FANTASY XI. Additional details will be made available on the account transfer page.

Subscription Periods
    As a result of the transfer to the Square Enix Account Management system, the subscription period for Final Fantasy XI will be changed from $12.95/month to $12.95/30 days.

Please note, under the previous system all subscriptions were billed on the first day of each month, regardless of start date. After completion of the transfer process, subscriptions will now bill in 30-day periods based upon the date when a subscription was initiated. Subscriptions will continue to renew automatically and can be cancelled at any time. Please note that cancellations will now take effect at the end of your 30-day prepaid period.

* If an additional character slot is purchased during the middle of your prepaid period, the associated fee will be prorated based upon the number of days remaining in your prepaid period. At the end of the prepaid period, the additional character slot will be billed at the full rate.

Services that will use the PlayOnline ID after transfer:
    -Friend List Plus
    -LinkShell Community
    -Community Site Link Registration Requests
    -Player Event Support Requests

Services that will be temporarily unavailable:
    -Character Reactivation Service
    Please note that after the start of the transfer process, the Character Reactivation Service will be temporarily unavailable. We expect the service to resume in late August 2011. You will be required to transfer your PlayOnline account to a Square Enix ID before you can utilize this service.

Services that will end after transfer:
    -Friend List Application
    -PlayOnline Member Information (Web Version)

We will be posting responses to questions from users on the following URL, so please take a look.
    SQUARE ENIX Support Center Account Transfer FAQ:
    http://support.na.square-enix.com/j/kb59527na
    * Please visit the URL above for information on how it will affect the customers who do not go through with the transfer.

* Please visit the URL above for information on how it will affect users who do not go through with the transfer.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
    Linky

tl;dr is the same info as before pretty much, with the added clarification (or I probably just didn't notice or don't remember) that they are no longer doing a monthly billing cycle, but a 30 day one which is something they should have had from day one. So no more subbing on the 27th and being charged $12.95 for a single day! Monthly fee will remain the same they will just start and stop(or rebill) 30 days from the start date as opposed to at the very end of each actual month. Additional content ID's will be prorated from when they're created during your 30 days and further months will be full price ($1).

EDIT: Also the initial transfer period (where it's "optional") is July 27th-Aug 31st. After that you won't be able to log in without a SE account instead of your old one. Plus you get an unnamed item for doing it during the initial transfer period.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    If we've linked our ffxiv and ffxi accounts, we're good to go, right?

Also I'm gone for a week and the forums are completely different. What happened?

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
    I think it's a different thing than the linking that went on before for SE accounts and XI accounts. It's a complete replacement of the POL accounts (is my understanding) with SE accounts.

And the forums are a completely new system now. Vanilla. I am too long out of the world of programming and such to even follow the details anymore. There's a forum section dedicated to it with all sorts of info, bugs, features, etc. Folks are making stylesheets to make the forums appear like the old ones again, you can look into those if the new style doesn't fit your fancy.

So does anyone have experience with low-level (1-50) grinding anymore? It's been a while for me, and I don't really know if what I'm doing is all that effective. Basically, I'm trying to take dnc, nin, war, and sam to 50. My plan had been to solo FoV pages to 20ish (because screw the dunes), and then set up shop in Jueno looking for parties in Qufim.

Is that still sort of the go-to plan, or has grounds of valor changed everything?

Also, how do I make tools affordable? I'm going to be using a lot of them it looks like, both for raising ninjitsu as well as for utility. My crafting skills are pretty sad (50 cooking < 10 everything else). Should I try raising them to be able to make tools, or should I just buy them off of the AH?

AFAIK grounds has only really changed the playing field for 35ish+ until 75. There are several key locations that folks do grounds alliances (crawlers nest and Bostenaux Obulette are the popular ones on Carbuncle) and just level sync to someone who is still in the range of the enemies right near the manual.

There might be grounds alliances lower than that but I have no idea. I haven't put my flag up for anything lower than 30ish in awhile. You can go into Abyssea as low as 30 but the xp reward per dominion op is terrible at that level and it takes forever to start earning xp per kill that low. If you have a ton of time to kill it'd probably work out to be faster than grounds grinding but it is oh so much more boring since you can't really do a damn thing, you constantly feel guilty because it's abundantly clear you're there purely to leech (which, granted, if your alliance is fine with...meh?), and in short play stints you'll get more results either soloing field manuals and putting your flag up while doing so to get a group.

Those aren't the only two options, and there are still parties now and then in the usual areas. I tended to get invites to Qufim a lot when I was leveling PLD; usually when I wasn't looking for a group...

But the speed at which you level through the various methods these days means you're virtually always either level synced or totally useless anyway due to your low level. If you're leveling something with weapon skills you need to level up, you'll want to plan ahead to go do some solo grinding to keep them up to par now and then.

I started leveling DNC the other day but got bored in the early 20's. DNC has too few abilities at low level to be very fun. Incredibly powerful and virtually impossible to kill, sure, but eh. I'll get back to it but I just got distracted by other games. But yeah, really I'm just looking to get to the level where I can get into grounds alliances and shoot high enough to get in Abyssea parties (assuming I go past 50). I did, however, see 2-3 parties doing the usual in Valk while I was doing field manuals there; but honestly unless you just want to party up or are leveling something like WHM or BRD that are still miserable to solo, you're better off just soloing to at least 20. Plus, I believe that every single party I saw in valk had a PL'er so even if you are leveling WHM you're still going to be bored. :(

Also, if you know someone or can just get lucky now and then, the xp in Abyssea, in my opinion, starts to be worthwhile around 60. You start getting kill xp relatively fast around then and the ops xp is very nice. 75 is when the xp is "full" for the ops and you start getting kill xp immediately .

You would probably be safe to go in lower as a support role. But lower than that as a DD class...well...you're just gonna do a lot of standing around at the edge of the xp range; or you'll just get killed a lot. Or you'll be a key bitch.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Duo, do pages, honestly best way to level at low levels. If you can find someone with a pet class to drag you around you can murder things. Burn down whole worlds, as it were. I should hop on and sync up for giggles. I could always use more exp. Or something.

steam_sig.png
    Murmor event is coming back again in August.

Goes from Aug 2 to Aug 16th.

Linky

I love Mumor. So much. I need to get in on that~

steam_sig.png
    So I'm playing through another country's missions (Bastok). It's been... years since I saw the first 5 missions. Do they ever do anything with the thiefish chick in the yellow hotpants again? I remember her being central to the first 5 missions or so in Windurst and then totally disappearing once I cleared rank 5.

Isn't she in Zilart missions?

edited August 2011
    Isn't she in Zilart missions?

I don't recall seeing her there yet, but I'm not very far along in the RoZ line. I'm trying to get a couple of my buddies to come back (in late august) for one last hurrah where we clear all of the quest lines. I guess I'll find out then.

If I had to make a guess, I would think she would tie into the Dynamis story line somehow. I still need to get the rest of my wins there...

Speaking of, if there is anyone that plays from here on Asura, and you are interested in running missions from Bastok, Sandoria, CoP (from 5-1), RoZ, or the last 3 missions of ToAU, or a crystaline prophecy, drop me a line here or in game (Bassiwassi).

seabass on
    So, they walked back on the needing to change billing services. You don't have to do that just yet apparently.

Hmm...looks like the next update might be awhile longer. They're introducing a test server and doesn't start for a few days.

Also, I'm not sure what to think about how we'll go from 90-95. All they're adding are more voidwatch and dynamis changes. I guess we'll just keep killing sand sweepers? I assume they'll still give xp (as will the op) for awhile.

Also also, they should have just put in 90-99 in one shot and just called it good. Spreading out another 4 levels over another year (maybe? Who knows) is a bit silly.

Hmm...looks like the next update might be awhile longer. They're introducing a test server and doesn't start for a few days.

Also, I'm not sure what to think about how we'll go from 90-95. All they're adding are more voidwatch and dynamis changes. I guess we'll just keep killing sand sweepers? I assume they'll still give xp (as will the op) for awhile.

Also also, they should have just put in 90-99 in one shot and just called it good. Spreading out another 4 levels over another year (maybe? Who knows) is a bit silly.

I assume dom-ops and so on. I'm more interested about how to unlock the cap increase. The rock-paper-scissors thing from the last one was kind of neat, if a bit stressful.

I was all worried about the RPS thing for that and then nailed every single one (granted, it's luck but still).

Definitely more interesting than just handing over a bunch of seals and merits. I have 20 merits saved up on PLD right now though, so that isn't a big deal. I think I'm lacking in seals, if they come into play again, but I'm not totally sure.

So, for anyone that's looking at leveling up a new job, I found http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/journal.html?user=1616793&mid=1310837405323037730 this guide that looks pretty solid and is actually current, unlike most of the information you'll find on that topic. Seriously, if you've got the gear, you can go from 1-50 in a weekend of play at this point. I'm not sure if that's good or bad for the game mind you, but it's certainly the case.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So I got charged under the new system today, and it seems I got charged the full amount. I haven't really been paying attention, so I am not sure if this happened last month. Was it not the case that those with FFXIV accounts got a reduced price of FFXI?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Well, it's not like we are paying for FFXIV right now, so I'm not sure if that is still a thing.

So I got charged under the new system today, and it seems I got charged the full amount. I haven't really been paying attention, so I am not sure if this happened last month. Was it not the case that those with FFXIV accounts got a reduced price of FFXI?

First I've heard of it.

That ended back in like.. march or something.

steam_sig.png
    Sooo...I'm not going to make a big post about it since the forums are being crazy wonky right now, but I just thought I'd pop in and say the Sept update is out.

Aside from the level cap raise to 95 (quest is simple-ish, find it here: Dormant Powers Dislodged, most of the changes revolve around fixing and adding things to Voidwalk and the constant revamp of Dynamis.

Sooo...I'm not going to make a big post about it since the forums are being crazy wonky right now, but I just thought I'd pop in and say the Sept update is out.

Aside from the level cap raise to 95 (quest is simple-ish, find it here: Dormant Powers Dislodged, most of the changes revolve around fixing and adding things to Voidwalk and the constant revamp of Dynamis.

The quest for the cap increase is mildly enjoyable. In my case it involved romping through some old zones I hadn't seen in a bit. I'm getting kind of tired of the customary "burn 10 merits" though.

Also, if you play BLM I hope you like voidwatch and bcnms, because that's where the new spells drop from I hear.

• WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    I'm probably coming back within a month or so. It's fine that they're moving content away from Abyssea now, but the rehashes of Dynamis, and now the plan to add onto Nyzul Isle make it pretty clear that Voidwatch is the only "new" content we're getting. And it kinda sucked when I messed with it.

They're asking me to find a Siren's Tear which is just finding the ???? in N Gusta so meh. looks like the list comprises of a lot of lower level quest drops, things like the subjob items etc.

But at least they're adding a little mini-game in it this one and the 85 break. You can just repeat them so there's no real consequence to failing, but it's something more than handing over merits and crests; yeah.

I haven't played in two months though. I actually had kind of forgotten my account was still active. The Atma LS I am in appears to have completed their Abyssea stuff and have moved on to getting Emperian weapons.

I dunno. I had a lot of fun playing with them and stuff a few months ago but I just have way too many games right now and particularly more coming out soon. I might go dormant again until the 99 cap comes out probably sometime next year. We'll see.

Oh and here is the link to the patch notes.

edited September 2011
    These forums...

The Dude With Herpes on

These forums...

It could be worse. You could be on any ffxi-dedicated forum.

Seriously, is there one of those that isn't just teri-bad? I know the game is like a decade old and that leads to a really insular community, but MAAAAAN. I don't even bother reading any of the forums, except maybe blugatr if I have a theorycrafting question.

Also, it took me a whole two hours to go from 90 to 95 and capped merits. Christ they've ramped up the leveling speed.

edited September 2011
    Oh, I was actually just referring to the post-Vanilla outbreak of double/triple posts.

These forums are fine. There's a reason they're the only ones, outside of game guilds, I still use every day for the last 8+ years.

And yeah, I avoid FFXI forums like the plague unless I'm looking for something technical...

Anyway, I'm not surprised at the 90-95 thing. I Didn't expect it to be a long grind. Hell, in a consistant Ops group you could easily do the 75-95 grind in a good hard session one single day.

I wish they had just put the last 4 levels in though, just get it done with. So much content is already wide open to solo play now when the cap was 90. 9 more levels is going to open up even more. I wonder how far into the nation and expansion missions one could make it alone at 99 with a good soloing job.

The Dude With Herpes on

I wish they had just put the last 4 levels in though, just get it done with. So much content is already wide open to solo play now when the cap was 90. 9 more levels is going to open up even more. I wonder how far into the nation and expansion missions one could make it alone at 99 with a good soloing job.

You could solo the nation missions (except for rank 10) at 90. The last mission requires a whole two people. Similarly, I know you can duo basically all of ToAU, WotG, and CoP. This is with two summoners, but I'm sure two anything can get it done with a little work.

You could solo the nation missions (except for rank 10) at 90. The last mission requires a whole two people. Similarly, I know you can duo basically all of ToAU, WotG, and CoP. This is with two summoners, but I'm sure two anything can get it done with a little work.

I solo'd all of Sandy's missions on my DNC90. Duo'd all of Windy. And was on the verge of soloing all of Bastok but I got cockblocked by the Galka doors in Quicksand Caves.

Duo'd most of CoP up to the BCNM with the 4 pots and Promathia.

Didn't get far with ToAU.

You got PLD leveled right? I couldn't see why you wouldn't be able to solo a lot of missions. The ones with time limits would probably give you some grief.

• RavynBlackheartRavynBlackheart Registered User regular
    Just resubbed like three days ago after taking a year off and holy balls my server got huge!

I solo'd all of Sandy's missions on my DNC90. Duo'd all of Windy. And was on the verge of soloing all of Bastok but I got cockblocked by the Galka doors in Quicksand Caves.

There is a quest for that now. You can get a lodestone than makes you heavy enough to open the door on your own.

Just resubbed like three days ago after taking a year off and holy balls my server got huge!

Those damned server mergers. If they would have done that pre-Abyssea when getting crafts off the AH was a pain because all the crafters quit would have been better. Now there's just more people to bottleneck NMs, popped or not.
    seabass wrote:
    There is a quest for that now. You can get a lodestone than makes you heavy enough to open the door on your own.

Yea I caught that in one of the patch notes. Would be one of my top priorities when I come back.

• Sea of ThornsSea of Thorns Registered User regular
    So the last time I played this was years ago. It sounds like the game's become more casual-friendly in its old age and I'd be interested in giving it a go, but I have a couple questions:

-Has this become any more solo-friendly? I like to group but I like to play alone, as well. I remember being able to get to 15 or so and then grouping was pretty much required. It doesn't matter to me if it's a slower pace - I just want to know that I can kill a mob that'll give me experience and not constantly worry if I'm going to survive the fight.

-How's the economy? Or getting gear in general? One of my big complaints was that I felt like I spent two days leveling five or so levels, and then three weeks struggling to make money. I like crafting but I don't want to have to print spreadsheets and turn my game-time into Stock Market-levels of watching the Auction House like a hawk.

-How necessary is it to carry extra gear sets? I've watched videos of people macroing in entirely different armors and weapons for just one attack. If I have to carry around a Light Staff (I think that was it?) for increased mana regen, fine. But that level of micro-management scares me.

You can literally solo to cap as just about anything with the fields of valor/grounds of valor stuff. Basically lets you kill easy prey mobs for big chunks of exp and some cash.

Economy is kinda borked, in that most of the useful stuff is now just gotten in Abyssea using special currency and drops. At least high levels. Low and mid level stuff is really cheap in general, as people just use it to powergrind then hock it.

Extra gear.. eh, later on there are just really solid all around sets. You may still need to macro in various accessories and such, but I rarely find myself needing to macro in/out whole armor sets.

steam_sig.png
  • RavynBlackheartRavynBlackheart Registered User regular
    Some things have gotten ridiculously expensive. Phalanx and Utsusemi: Ni, for example. Used to be 60k and 400k respectively, now 800k and 1.11mil on Ragnarok.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Glad I am sitting on my ni scroll right now.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    Couple friends and I went like 0/12 on Phalanx and Ni before we took a break in the beginning of the summer. Shame that Gil doesn't mean a great deal anymore these days.

• Sea of ThornsSea of Thorns Registered User regular
    Alright, in on Carbuncle as Hariyo. I'm putzing around in San d'Oria for the time being if anyone wants to party/chat/offer me a linkshell.