As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Play D&D at PAX Prime 2011

PAX_RPGA_CoordinatorPAX_RPGA_Coordinator Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in PAX Archive
Once again Wizards of the Coast will be offering up Dungeons and Dragons and other games for wonderful attendees at Penny Arcade Expo.

Expect us to run:
  • Special Events like last year's DMs Challenge
  • Our 1-Hour Delve (for fun and tokens)
  • 4 Hour Long-Form RPG events
  • Ravenloft, Wrath, and Nerath boardgames
  • Three Dragon Ante Tournament

I will have additional details in the coming weeks.

As always we're looking for volunteers to assist. We're usually limited by GMs and space to how much we can offer and run at the event. We need all the help we can get... and provide 3-Day Pass, GM shirts, Wizards of the Coast product, and exclusive promos for judges.

For information on volunteering, email me at comixguru (at) yahoo (dot) com or here.

Look for more details in about a 30 days.

-Robert Altomare
Senior GM at PAX Prime Seattle

Robert Altomare
PAX Prime Senior GM since 2007
PAX_RPGA_Coordinator on

• Options
    GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ah finally, the thread I've been waiting for! I've just started playing 4th ed a few months ago and have been having a blast. I'll be eagerly awaiting when you have more info available for the d&d sessions you'll be running.

Gameshark on
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I hope you all will be running more newbie sessions. I haven't played since 2e, and my son is completely new to it but wants to try it.

WuShock on
    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    ChaossebbaChaossebba Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd love it if there was a newbie kind of thing going on, a friend and I have always been interested but never had the time or means to get into it. Pax would be a great time to get into it perhaps.

Chaossebba on
  • Options
    RandorammaRandoramma Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Expect us to run:
    [*]4 Hour Long-Form RPG events

Really looking forward to this!!! The LFR story arc last year was great!
    I hope you all will be running more newbie sessions. I haven't played since 2e, and my son is completely new to it but wants to try it.

I think the 1 hour delves works pretty good for this, however last year some delves were easy, and some really tough (party started dying turn 1. Leave the wizards alone!!). I think the 1 hour delves had some kind of difficulty curve and we didn't know how that worked. I think these are designed for beginners.

Randoramma on
    PAX Prime '09 '10 '12 '13 '14
  • Options
    Kilo147Kilo147 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Never played. Will there be Spelljammer? That's how I want to start.

Kilo147 on
    enforceruserbarprime.png
    PAX '04
    PAX '11

Tango down, Kilo147 out.
  • Options
    CrabblesCrabbles Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Excellent, I sent you an email. I ran a few of the one hour games last year and had a lot of fun. Wooo!

Crabbles on
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kilo147 wrote: »
    Never played. Will there be Spelljammer? That's how I want to start.

Not likely; I'm not even sure Spelljammer has been updated for 4th Edition. I can't recommend it for beginners anyway, it's a bit confusing at times.

The game is still tons of fun in its standard fantasy setting though.

Nullzone on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Goodie! I can actually play with folks! ...There is only so much Solo Adventures you can do before you are stuck.

Yes, yes. I know. I can look for a group around my area. The groups nearby are cliqueish and/or d-bagish. And the closest place that does Encounters is an hour-and-a-half drive from my house. And sadly, not many folks close to me are interested in creating a group, let alone someone to become a DM-type. Not only that, but I am still figuring out 4th since I just started last PAX (thank you for selling the Red Box a week early.)

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    NeuralLinkNeuralLink Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gammaworld?

NeuralLink on
  • Options
    tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    excellent ive always wanted to play d&d but i live overseas and i cant seem to find anywhere that sells it. looking forward to some experienced players showing me the ropes!

tokyodove on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    NeuralLink wrote: »
    Gammaworld?

Not this year, unfortunately. Shame, really. I love playing a Robotic Rat Swarm.

I'll have more details in about 2 weeks.

PAX_RPGA_Coordinator on
    Robert Altomare
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Chaossebba wrote: »
    I'd love it if there was a newbie kind of thing going on, a friend and I have always been interested but never had the time or means to get into it. Pax would be a great time to get into it perhaps.

We run constant "Learn to Play D&D" at PAX Prime. It's 2-4 hours. We help you make up new PCs, and then plays a introductory adventure from the new Red Box set.

If you do that, you can then jump into other D&D games we have scheduled.

PAX_RPGA_Coordinator on
    Robert Altomare
  • Options
    adesteradester Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Goodie! I can actually play with folks! ...There is only so much Solo Adventures you can do before you are stuck.

Yes, yes. I know. I can look for a group around my area. The groups nearby are cliqueish and/or d-bagish. And the closest place that does Encounters is an hour-and-a-half drive from my house. And sadly, not many folks close to me are interested in creating a group, let alone someone to become a DM-type. Not only that, but I am still figuring out 4th since I just started last PAX (thank you for selling the Red Box a week early.)

You probably don't remember me from Pax Prime 2010 but I'm up to playing a with the two of you at pax.

Side note: I would also like to get some of your new and old buttons too. I got the frog and spoon :D
    I was the FMA human transmutation button btw.

adester on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    adester wrote: »

Side note: I would also like to get some of your new and old buttons too. I got the frog and spoon :D
    I was the FMA human transmutation button btw.

I remember! You were totally rad last year! Yes! Buttons and playing is a go! Wahoo!

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    PinkRosePinkRose Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    @PAX_RPGA_Coordinator,
    I sent you an e-mail with a few questions a week ago.
    If you didn't receive it, please respond here and I'll resend it.
    Thank you for your time and attention.

PinkRose on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    PinkRose wrote: »
    @PAX_RPGA_Coordinator,
    I sent you an e-mail with a few questions a week ago.
    If you didn't receive it, please respond here and I'll resend it.
    Thank you for your time and attention.

Sorry, I've received a number of emails, but I didn't see yours. Resend it or message me here.

PAX_RPGA_Coordinator on
    Robert Altomare
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    PAX Prime 2011 - Event Preview #1

LegendOfDrizzt_use.jpg

Continuing the trend of previewing new games months before release, we will be showcasing a brand new entry in Wizard of the Coast’s cooperative fantasy board game series - The Legend of Drizzt.

This series of fantasy board games are fun, fast-paced adventures that are closely inspired by Dungeons and Dragons tabletop play. In Legend of the Drizzt, up to five players get the chance to take on the role of the legendary drow ranger or one of his famous adventuring companions, battle fearsome foes, and win treasure and glory. No DM necessary, but we’ll have plenty of experienced helpers on hand to get you playing quickly.

WrathofAshardalon_use.jpgCastleRavenloftboardgame_use.jpg

We should also have copies of the high-fantasy Wrath of Ashardalon and gothic Castle Ravenloft board games.

Some fun links –
    Mike Mearls with GameSalute.com at GenCon 2010 talks Castle Ravenloft.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq18GaA39NA

Critical-Hits.com takes a look at Wrath of Ashardalon board game.
    http://critical-hits.com/2011/01/26/unboxing-wrath-of-ashardalon-dd-board-game/

Another Critical-Hits.com link, this time with a unboxing of Castle Ravenloft board game.
    http://critical-hits.com/2010/08/07/gen-con-2010-castle-ravenloft-board-game-unboxing-video/

PAX_RPGA_Coordinator on
    Robert Altomare
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Want let your friends know you'll be playing some D&D at PAX... and to get details as I post them:
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=193178050729087

PAX_RPGA_Coordinator on
    Robert Altomare
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This looks awesome. Now, let me discuss a few frustrations I have - it's not so much with Wizards of the Coast, but just with PAX itself.

Every year I want to play some D&D, and every year I can't because the tables are just packed to the GILLS with people, seemingly instantly. I'm a BYOC guy so I'm usually in pretty early. Last Prime I just couldn't find the annex for a while and all the times got gobbled up. Is there a good strategy beyond "be there at 10 am friday?"

Axon on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Axon wrote: »
    Is there a good strategy beyond "be there at 10 am friday?"

Best suggestion? Study the map. Once we find out where the Tables will be, map out the quickest route from either BYOC or from whatever the main queue area will be. It's like the game AMazement. Strategize the easiest path in the quickest time. Unless you are one of those that gets easily distracted, then you're screwed.

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    This year we will be forgoing sign-ups, largely, and using lines. You want to get into something, you'll need to queue up and wait for the event to start. We'll give you an idea of how many people we can handle well before the kick off and count off the line.

Seating for D&D 4-hour events will always be a little tight. They just require a lot of time, space, and people to run those events. This is why we have an array of events including the 1-hour Delve and board games.

Every year it seems like the Saturday evening slots are ones that are least contentious, probably because people end up attending one of the many special events or concerts that night.

PAX_RPGA_Coordinator on
    Robert Altomare
  • Options
    irikahirikah Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh man this sounds great. Haven't had a chance to meet w/my regular D&D group in months. Looking forward to this.

This is using 4th ed. yes?

irikah on
    .life.laugh.love.
  • Options
    Game Show ManGame Show Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Three-Dragon Ante for the win! I'm definitely down!

Game Show Man on
    "Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
    captvangin@aol.com
    www.facebook.com/GameShowMan

"Go get my space-battlecruiser. I wanna go blow some shizznit up."
  • Options
    Kilo147Kilo147 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Along the same lines, any good post-apocalyptic RPGs you can point me to? I figure I'm gonna be dressed in character, so what the hell.

Kilo147 on
    enforceruserbarprime.png
    PAX '04
    PAX '11

Tango down, Kilo147 out.
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hmm maybe Husband and I should find our RPGA cards. I think we each had some judge levels. Oh man playing Living Greyhawk crap 10 years ago was fun. Looking forward to this. He has done some 4E stuff but I last got to play 3E.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for having the one-hour delves, as they are a great way to get my fiancee (wife when PAX hits) into trying out D&D.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    CrabblesCrabbles Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was a DM for the one-hour delves last year, and they were pretty fun. It was crazy trying to essentially rush through all of that combat in an hour. My players had a hard time keeping up since I had them doing concurrent actions. It's fun, but unfortunately there's really no roleplaying going on.

Can't wait to do it again this year!

Crabbles on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Pax Prime - Preview #2

GardmoreAbbey.jpg

Join us for a preview event of the super-adventure, Madness at Gardmore Abbey, due in September from Wizards. Check out Ralph Horsley's blog for a better view of the amazing artwork that graces the cover of this one!

Be the first heroes into the ruins of Gardmore Abbey, a monastery that was once the base of a militant order of paladins devoted to Bahamut. According to legend, the paladins brought a dark artifact back from a far crusade and stored it in their abbey for safekeeping, and evil forces gathered to assault the abbey and take it back. What the legends don’t tell is that this artifact was actually the Deck of Many Things, a force of pure Chaos.

This special event runs at 7pm on Friday August 26th only.

PAX_RPGA_Coordinator on
    Robert Altomare
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Cool! I'm very much looking forward to getting the adventure to play with and will love to see how it plays at PAX.

That said, any word on the DM's challenge? I want to try my hand at it again!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    I'd like to take part in the DM challenge also and the new adventure looks great!

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Here's the final list of events and schedule. We'll be in the Annex/Conference Center again this year. This time we will be in the lower level/basement of the building. Come join us for some tabletop fun!

PAX Prime 2011 D&D Events

Brand-New to D&D

D&D Learn-to-Play
    Want to learn how to play D&D 4th Edition? We’ll teach you all the basics, and send you out on your first adventure! Everything is provided for you, and you can even keep your character. A 2 hour D&D 4th Edition play experience.
    RUNS: Friday & Saturday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm, 9 pm; Sunday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm

D&D Adventure Board Game Challenge Featuring the Legend of Drizzt
    Want to play a D&D game without a DM? Like cooperative games? Come take the challenge of the D&D Adventure Games. Pick Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, or a special preview of Legend of Drizzt, and see if your team can get a high score!
    RUNS: Friday & Saturday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm, 9 pm; Sunday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm

New and Experienced D&D Players

D&D Encounters: Lost Crown of Neverwinter Catch-up
    Experience the first three sessions of Lost Crown of Neverwinter, the current D&D Encounters campaign playing at local stores each Wednesday. Earn gold and experience, and take your character back to your local store to continue the adventure! You can create your own 1st-level character using rules provided on-site or grab one of our pre-generated characters. This game is a 5 hour D&D 4th Edition play experience.
    RUNS: Friday & Saturday 1 pm, 6 pm; Sunday 11 am

D&D Convention Delve: Lair of the Dread Witch
    In the deep forest, a place of dark power lies, its corruptive influence seeping into the lands beyond its borders. Can you contain the threat of the Dread Witch, and stop her rituals before all falls into darkness? A 1st-level D&D convention delve with characters provided. Play as often as you like and earn tokens that can be redeemed for prizes! 1 hour per adventure.
    Runs Friday 11 am – 11 pm; Saturday 11 am – 11 pm; Sunday 11 am – 4 pm

Some D&D Experience Recommended

D&D Madness at Gardmore Abbey Preview: The Siege of Gardmore Abbey
    During the golden age of the lands of Nerath, a bastion of civilization known as Gardmore Abbey was home to the greatest knights and its most valuable riches, including the fabled Deck of Many Things. However, a mysterious leader known as “Nightbringer” and his orc horde threaten the walls of the great citadel. You are a band of adventurers, called together from your easy living in the reserves, to aid Gardmore in its time of need. This official D&D adventure serves as a preview to the upcoming Madness at Gardmore Abbey boxed adventure. 6th-level characters are provided. This game is 4 hour D&D 4th Edition play experience.
    Runs Friday 7 pm

D&D DM’s Challenge: Neverwinter
    A fabled city straddled between order and chaos, where factions vie for glory and adventurers find danger where they least expect it. Neverwinter is here! The DM’s Challenge is a special one-time event running only at PAX Prime. DMs bring their best and most dangerous 3rd-level Neverwinter-themed adventures for you to conquer; rate your play experience to determine the best adventure of the evening! 3rd-level characters are provided. A 4 hour D&D 4th Edition play experience.
    Runs Saturday 7 pm

PAX_RPGA_Coordinator on
    Robert Altomare
  • Options
    Matev wrote:
    That said, any word on the DM's challenge? I want to try my hand at it again!

Here's the full details on the DMs Challenge. It runs Saturday the 26th at 7pm. Last year was a ton of fun.

2011 PAX Prime DM’s Challenge: Neverwinter!

Participation Details
    DMs must create an adventure suitable for five 3rd-level characters (actual group size may vary from 4-6 players) using the D&D rules, with a spotlight on themes, organizations, and foes featured in the Neverwinter Campaign Setting.

The adventure should play in about 4-5 hours, including time for the players to review characters. You should write approximately 3 tactical encounters for your adventure; you must write at least 2 tactical encounters, but no more than 4. Tactical encounters can be fights or other deadly challenges (like traps). Levels for the encounters should not be lower than 2 or higher than 5; you should endeavor to write a total of about 10 levels' worth of tactical encounters (that would parse out into two 3rd-level fights and one 4th-level fight).

Your adventure should be set somewhere in or around the city of Neverwinter, as described in the Gazetteer section of the Neverwinter Campaign Setting, and should feature one or more factions as described in that book. You can develop any story you’d like, but you should use monsters and foes from both Monster Vault books and the Neverwinter Campaign Setting. Add exploration and roleplaying encounters to your adventure to really make it come to life beyond the tactical encounters. 

Materials
    You are expected to provide Neverwinter-themed player characters for players to use for your adventure. The characters should all be 3rd level, and you should bring 6 different characters. Make sure to account for a play group of 4, 5, or 6 characters when you write your characters and the adventure.

You are required to bring all materials with you that you'll need to run your adventure - maps/tiles, minis/tokens, player character sheets, etc. If you’d like to use D&D Fortune Cards, you can bring cards and develop a use for them in-game (draw from a central deck, integrate them as boons earned during the adventure, etc.).

Judging
    Each player at your table will be given a form to complete after they finish playing. On the form, they'll be asked to rate you on the following categories:

Presentation 
    Story
    Challenges
    Characters
    Fun Factor

Rewards
    All DMs participating will receive a bit of swag from D&D HQ. The top scoring DMs will receive sweet prizes, and the acknowledgement that they run a truly awesome game of D&D!

Robert Altomare
  • Options
    Three-Dragon Ante for the win! I'm definitely down!

No Three-Dragon Ante tournament this year, sorry.

Robert Altomare
  • Options
    CrendelCrendel Registered User regular
    This year we will be forgoing sign-ups, largely, and using lines. You want to get into something, you'll need to queue up and wait for the event to start. We'll give you an idea of how many people we can handle well before the kick off and count off the line.

Awesomesauce!! Being an [E] means I never know until close to PAX when I'll have free time. Last year I missed out on the registration completely and so this is welcome news to me! I'll see you for sure this year!!

Geek Hybrid - I like video games and being outside!
  • Options
    edited July 2011

D&D Madness at Gardmore Abbey Preview: The Siege of Gardmore Abbey
    During the golden age of the lands of Nerath, a bastion of civilization known as Gardmore Abbey was home to the greatest knights and its most valuable riches, including the fabled Deck of Many Things. However, a mysterious leader known as “Nightbringer” and his orc horde threaten the walls of the great citadel. You are a band of adventurers, called together from your easy living in the reserves, to aid Gardmore in its time of need. This official D&D adventure serves as a preview to the upcoming Madness at Gardmore Abbey boxed adventure. 6th-level characters are provided. This game is 4 hour D&D 4th Edition play experience.
    Runs Friday 7 pm

Barring unforeseen circumstances, I am SO down to play this adventure. Who's with me? :)

OH! Do we need to bring our own PHB?

Gameshark on
  • Options
    You and me Gameshark, let's do this.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    SrenaebSrenaeb Registered User regular
    Rewards
    All DMs participating will receive a bit of swag from D&D HQ. The top scoring DMs will receive sweet prizes, and the acknowledgement that they run a truly awesome game of D&D!

1. How does one register for this awesomeness? eg: when/where do we submit the campaign details?

2. Can the participating DM bring a couple friends--I think my DM is awesome and I want him to try and host a game for myself and some new stranger-friends, is that allowed?

• Options
    Matev wrote:
    Sounds like a plan! We need to come up with a name for our merry little band of adventurers now.

• Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    I'm going to give the DM challenge a shot I think. The scenario layout is the kind of dungeon crawl I like to create. I shall test it out on my D&D group before going to PAX :)

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    Gameshark wrote:
    Matev wrote:
    Sounds like a plan! We need to come up with a name for our merry little band of adventurers now.

Hrm, we should, we should....

Hail Hydra