As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best PS3 keyboard (or how do I get my hands on the new official Sony PS3 one?)

BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
Even though the word prediction thing is very good on the PS3 from time to time I find my self needing a keyboard (and a mouse).

At the moment it seems the best option is this:

MediaBoard_1.jpg
Logitech Cordless MediaBoard Pro™ for PS®3

Only from what I read it's not perfect lacking a few of the PS3 keys so it seems this will be a better choice:

6-7-2011keyboardside.jpg
Official Sony PS3 keyboard mentioned on engadget

Back in the day getting special things from Japan was easy thanks to Lik Sang but that is a long time ago. What does one do now when craving something sold only in Japan?

(Input on the whole using a keyboard with the PS3 is welcome as is tips to better choices than the two I have found).

Bones heal, glory is forever.
BlindZenDriver on

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    You can use literally any USB keyboard. Is the cable that big of an obstacle for you?

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't know what to tell you, man. I use a $10 USB keyboard.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Get a mechanical keyboard if you are going to spend that much.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    JAEF wrote:
    You can use literally any USB keyboard. Is the cable that big of an obstacle for you?

Thank you (and this goes to Chance also). I'm aware of that but while the cable is not a huge obstacle being there are so many in my system already I would like to be without. Also getting the mouse function would be nice even though I could of course just hook up any random USB mouse or get a USB keyboard with a mouse function.

Most importantly is getting a keyboard that brings the PS3 keys plus it's nice if it is not to big.
    Fizban140 wrote:

Fizban140 wrote:

While I share the love for mechanical* keyboards I am not gonna hook up my Model M to the PS3 - that would just feel wrong somehow :-)

I am not gonna do huge amounts of typing so in this case being compact and made for the exact purpose matters the most.

NOTE: I'm still hoping for suggestions on how to buy stuff in Japan.

*Strictly anything that moves must be mechanical but I suppose you refer to keyboards with real springs and all that.

BlindZenDriver on
  • Options
    KaimakaKaimaka Registered User regular
    Why do you want the PlayStation button markings on the keyboard anyway? On my regular PS/2 keyboard used with a usb adapter I can use those same functions F1 for triangle, Esc for circle and Enter for X. I wonder if those markings are just to illustrate the default uses for those keys on an Japanese PS3 in which case Esc for X and Enter for Circle will be wrong on your PS3 anyway as the uses of those two PS button are other way round in japan anyway e.g. circle = confirm x = back.

2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3349-7357-2013
    3DS Friend code: 3093 8504 2352
  • Options
    Kaimaka wrote:
    Why do you want the PlayStation button markings on the keyboard anyway? On my regular PS/2 keyboard used with a usb adapter I can use those same functions F1 for triangle, Esc for circle and Enter for X. I wonder if those markings are just to illustrate the default uses for those keys on an Japanese PS3 in which case Esc for X and Enter for Circle will be wrong on your PS3 anyway as the uses of those two PS button are other way round in japan anyway e.g. circle = confirm x = back.

It's mainly the PS-button and the Start-buttons which I crave and as I understand they are not hiding behind other names on normal keyboards.

PS. I'm used to the circle and X being swapped as my white PSP is an import from when the thing was not available in the EU (why there is that difference is beyond me).

• Options
    jimmy8091jimmy8091 Registered User regular
    If you're looking for that keyboard, the model number is CECH-ZKB1JP.

Your best bet is amazon japan.

I adblock your sigs.
  • Options
    jimmy8091 wrote:
    If you're looking for that keyboard, the model number is CECH-ZKB1JP.

Your best bet is amazon japan.

Thank you for that.

I have ended up buying the thing through rakuten.co.jp which I found once I just googled for Japanese online shops rather than trying to find a 1 to 1 replacement for Lik Sang (Damn do I miss that place).

• Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    I have that Logitech one. I use it for my HTPC, actually. So I suppose my thoughts on it are fairly useless to you, but it IS a nice keyboard. Fairly light.

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    No opinions on the Dualshock 3 keyboard?

ps3_keyboard_attach_1.jpg

That thing. I have the xbox 360 equivalent, which I bought with the intent of using with some PC games (except they never released windows drivers despite it being advertised on the packaging) and I was interested in the DS3 version for a while until I saw that the keyboard was over the controller, not under.

I get the feeling that using that would be annoying as hell, unlike the 360 pad which feels great. Anyone try one out mind posting their impressions?

• Options
    edited July 2011
    No opinions on the Dualshock 3 keyboard?

I have read about it while researching and the message seems to be it's a lot better than one would think and that the location is not a problem.

For me the reason why I did not just get one of those is that a lot of the time I use the PS3 it is with either a steering wheel or the Move controllers.

If anyone is interested I'll write a bit on how the keyboard I ordered now turns out to be.

Error wrote:
    I have that Logitech one. I use it for my HTPC, actually. So I suppose my thoughts on it are fairly useless to you, but it IS a nice keyboard. Fairly light.

Not useless at all. We are setting up some meeting rooms at work and that Logitech is on the short of of possible choices. I've read some people saying the Logitech feels cheap but I'm mostly thinking it's because it is light - does it flex a lot when moving around?

BlindZenDriver on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I have that Logitech one and it works great, but I never use it. I thought I'd use the PS3 browser more, but just didn't work out.

It's a little bend-y, but not flimsy; mostly because it is so light it feels cheaper than it is. I would say a good choice if you're looking for a BT keyboard.

• Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've usually got it sitting on my lap while sitting on the couch, where feeling light is considered a good thing. I like the track pad, the multiple mouse button options. The PS3 buttons on the top are useless to me, but I suppose they could be programmed somehow. Like the gentleman above me said it's light but it doesn't feel cheap. Don't go smashing it around like Pete Townsend and you'll be fine. My one issue with it when using it as a PC keyboard is the lack of a number pad on the right. I'm so used to hitting that second enter key that not having it there anymore is a bit distracting. But I deal.

Error on
  • Options
    Thank you to all for the input.

I received the Sony keyboard yesterday and I gotta say it is pretty sweet. It looks and feel very nice, the trackpoint is like IBM used to make them. It is heavier than expected and feels very/solid. I can see my self getting another one as a PC keyboard were it not for my much loved Model M that is gonna last forever.

The only downsides I can think of is that there are a few keys on the keyboard carrying Japanese writing and I have no idea what they do. Also it seems the PS3 can not tell the battery status like it does with the controllers.