As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Of Steamworks and [Phalla] Obscura: Day 3: Full Life Consequences

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Don't shut up, you learn by fucking up!

When you spill your guts to a mafia member and they go "Okay okay, I trust you. I really have my suspicions about so-and-so though", and you become a mafia puppet for the entire game, you learn a great deal about how people interact with you and behave in those situations.

Now, you'll also become about a billion times more paranoid about every offer of help, but that's phalla!

liEt3nH.png
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tmoiy wrote:
    Sorry for making stupid posts, I am bad at this game. I will kindly shut up now. >.<

The more you talk the better you'll get at it! Don't post less than you want to because you're worried about looking suspicious, or making incorrect assumptions. Mafia or Village, the game is enriched by every post in the thread, so keep talking!

[edit] INANTP has the right idea. Just ask Cythraul how fun it can be!

Rend on
  • TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    Fair enough, fair enough.

I may not be as prolific in my posting as facetious, but I do tend to think out loud a bit in my posts. Not trying to "blend in" or anything - just trying to say something when the thread seemed unusually silent.

I think the best part about newbie phalla is that it's almost entirely impossible to tell who's acting suspicious via their posts and who's just...new

liEt3nH.png
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Langly wrote:
    MrTLicious wrote:
    Since Tmioy already has some votes, I'll go ahead and post one for !INANTP

Tmoiy doesn't have any votes, unless you mean people have voted for him in past days.

Yeah sorry, I meant people have already brought up suspicions, so he probably will get some votes.

Also, Langly, what's your reasoning behind Turkson? Just because he's been quiet? I don't know his usual posting style, so it would be nice to know why you suspect him, unless that's privileged information ;)

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Turkson is the element of death and therefore untrustworthy.

Actually I'm at lunch now I'll post a longer thing in a minute.

Don't shut up, you learn by fucking up!

When you spill your guts to a mafia member and they go "Okay okay, I trust you. I really have my suspicions about so-and-so though", and you become a mafia puppet for the entire game, you learn a great deal about how people interact with you and behave in those situations.

Now, you'll also become about a billion times more paranoid about every offer of help, but that's phalla!

Um, this seems to imply that tmoiy had this happen to him. Is this public knowledge from a previous phalla, or accidentally leaked information about this one?

mafia puppet pals

He's just talking about in general. It occurs fairly often. Like, for instance, in my first real game, where I was village and got used by the mafia, a neutral faction, and the village assault squad all at the same time.

or when I used Jaysonfour in the brass phalla

or when kime used virgil and void for their masoned guard in the science game (tmoiy was in that group but he died day one)

Also Turkson, besides being quiet, is also being really quiet. He has made four posts this whole game, two of those were his votes, and the other two were the kind of non-speak that isn't contributing or adding to anything.

• Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Village assault squad? That sounds kick-ass.

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Turkson also keeps voting for me. What a jerk!!!

Actually there a few people I think are just blending in. I'd normally call them out as is my wont to get them talking, but in this case I don't know if it's because people are just new or whatever. But speak up, people! :P

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    edited July 2011
    it was phallakinetic, a large faction game, it was pretty much awesome.

Langly on
    I too have become a mafia puppet at one point in my storied Phalla career.

Nirya....!!!! *shakes fist*

Real strong, facetious.

Tmoiy wrote:
    mafia puppet pals

I appreciate this reference. :^:

Real strong, facetious.

• TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    Let's go with !INANTP, for encouraging people to fuck up. Sounds suspicious to me!

All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    After consulting with my fellows, !INANTP for the vote.

doomrider_sigPA.png
    Well I'm a villager, so

liEt3nH.png
    The person who's giving me weird vibes is Taya. I guess I might as well put this out there: she's been PMing me since the start of the game, seemingly trying to get information out of me. In particular, after night one when I facetiously (heh.. sorry) thanked the guard in the thread on the off chance they guarded me, she PMed me asking if I knew if I'd been guarded and/or who the guard was. I felt like she was fishing for information. I don't know if she's in the network or whatever but it turns out I can't actually sit idly by for very long. :P

Still, you guys know things I don't. !INANTP

Real strong, facetious.

edited July 2011
    Can we get some reasons as to why I'm suspicious rather than giving general advice and following the leader after he says "Consorted with my fellows!"

I can't defend against arguments that aren't made.

edit for the below post because I don't want to triple post or edit a vote post

In addition, he doesn't appear to be in the network since he doesn't know who the vig is, which makes me doubly suspicious of his desire to know exactly who's who.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
    All I can really give, beyond the posts that I've made in this thread, is that SLyM contacted me in private and wanted to know anything I could give him to make me trustworthy. I offered information about me, but he offered none about himself.

Without any other private communications I can offer little more. But I will say that perhaps we should look to the least experienced - people such as Tmoiy and MrTlicious and TheScruple - those who say little and offer cluelessness. We've gained nothing by targeting those among us who are vocal and confident, as well as losing some to the mafia.

liEt3nH.png
    Slym PMed me that way too, actually.

Real strong, facetious.

• KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    Can we get some reasons as to why I'm suspicious rather than giving general advice and following the leader after he says "Consorted with my fellows!"

I can't defend against arguments that aren't made.

Because we are working blind right now. I say "what about this guy?" we discuss it, maybe toss a few names around, and in the end, we end up with you.

doomrider_sigPA.png
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Well, Baidol sent me a PM on Day 1 to try and get information and he was village. I assume he sent one to you too Facetious since you and I were almost tied in the vote.

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I've actually contacted a number of people. I didn't say so at first to see if anyone would comment on it without there being any way to know about it beforehand. I've told what suspicions I've had to KingMole, though I agree with my mentor that the amount that !INANTP posted in his response compared to what he's posted in the thread is pretty suspicious.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    I have contacted no one, because I am suspicious and really paranoid! Are you supposed to contact people? Is that like a common thing in Phalla?

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    !INANTP

MrTLicious, Tmoiy, and Turkson are also on my suspicious persons list (which includes everybody).

Yes, Baidol did contact me.

I dunno Taya, if I'm wrong them I'm sorry, but I can only say what I'm thinking.

Also I have to go to work ugggggh.

Real strong, facetious.

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Contacting people is strange. Sometimes you can catch a mafia if you contact them because they have trouble keeping the facade up. Sometimes they turn around on you and trick you into giving them information. It's basically a risk you can chose to take, but right now if we have another night without a mafia death we're pretty boned, so now is the time to take risks.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I was contacted by Baidol as well, and Taya. At first I was tight lipped but my mentor set me straight. Nothing wrong with talking to fellow villagers, the mafia knows who they are.

This kinda feels like LA Noir the text adventure. I am pretty bad at reading faces, but at least it's something!

I hope you know what you are doing Kingmole, reel in a big one!

Alkey42 on
  • Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    !INANTP

edited July 2011
    If I cannot end the suspicions upon me, I say this firmly: Look closely to those who follow who are not networked, those who claim to trust the network head by virtue of being the network head. We have gained nothing from watching voting patterns, because everyone has followed the head, and few have thrown out alternatives.

Discussion is what drives a successful village. Don't assume anyone knows more than you. In this game in particular, they have little more experience (or less) than you.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Rend wrote:
    Tmoiy wrote:
    Sorry for making stupid posts, I am bad at this game. I will kindly shut up now. >.<

The more you talk the better you'll get at it! Don't post less than you want to because you're worried about looking suspicious, or making incorrect assumptions. Mafia or Village, the game is enriched by every post in the thread, so keep talking!

[edit] INANTP has the right idea. Just ask Cythraul how fun it can be!

This. Just remember that playing Phalla is all about having fun. Don't get me wrong, I love me some heated debating, and winning is good too, but if people are just throwing insults around, or are scared to do anything for fear of getting killed/yelled at/whatever, well, you're sort of missing the point. Be bold!

Very well! Bolding it all up in here.

Thread has been very quiet today. My gut feeling is that INANTP is probably not mafia; I do trust the network head, but at this point the wagon hardly needs me on it anyway. So I'll vote Turkson in the hopes of stirring up a little discussion. Neither he nor 38thDoe have posted today at all, and that seems very strange. If you're a special, sorry for blowing your cover, I guess.

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Tmoiy

He's trying to deflect onto me. Die mafia scum die. And I'm always quiet, but I'll agree that I'm being too quiet in this game.

oh h*ck
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I'm guessing the main thrust of the discussion has moved into PMs. In any case, without anything but hunches in the thread, I'm alright with putting votes on Turkson. He has been pretty absent. Possibly he had a busy day like I did, and its possible he'll get inactivused, but that's my gut instinct at the moment.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Ooh, now you are adding to your guilt by posting while I'm typing a post in an attempt to make me look incompetent.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well, I guess I might as well chime in here.
    After initially voting for INANTP, his posts make a lot of sense. I have a handful of other suspicions: I too was PMed by Taya, so it seems she's PMed everyone, looking to connect, maybe give advice. Facetious is easily the most verbose when he's around, but I can't get a read on him there's so much noise. 38thdoe and Turkson are 2 of the 3 most experienced players left, and had been completely MIA today (until just now as I was typing this). I think SlyM was the first player who voted for each of the eventual villagers voted out, which could just be coincidence.

With 2 pending votes, if I counted correctly, plus any late movement, moving my vote would put us in danger of a tie between INANTP and Turkson. Edit: if I moved to Turkson, that is.

I hate being indecisive and paranoid, I have no idea how some of you can play more than one of these at a time.

Edit: refreshing the page ate my draft...

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
    I would be very surprised (but pleased, theoretically) if the vote moved off me.

liEt3nH.png