As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finding/Removing a Keylogger

MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I think, possibly, I might have a keylogger on one of my machines. I remember WoW customer support recommending some keylogger finder when my account got hacked last year, but I don't remember what it was called. So, at this point, I'm looking for any program you guys might know of that can help me find/remove one.

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
MayGodHaveMercy on

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Well, unless you have an idea of who put it on there or what put it on there, and virus scans aren't turning up anything, the only thing you can do to make sure it's gone is blow away your OS and reinstall. Those things can hide themselves pretty deep.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Reformat and reinstall.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Reformat and reinstall.

This is my general rule for malware. Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    Reformat and reinstall.

This is my general rule for malware. Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

+1 to this suggestion. Nuke `n pave to be safe.

If we're talking about the possibility of a commercial keylogger, keep in mind that several security vendors specifically whitelist some of them. That is to say, they'll never show up in antivirus scans from those vendors, because they've been tagged as 'good' software operating as designed. It's a murky moral area, to be sure. But pretty much nothing will survive a good full reformat.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Reformating is the only way to be sure that your system is 100% clean, cause there is always a possibility of something else lingering if you just clean.

• Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    I hate to agree with such drastic actions but they are correct.

I had a key logger that gave access to my games, email and other programs to China. At least, that is what my Gmail told me.

Several methods to clean my computer were attempted but nothing seemed to work. Eventually I just gave up and formatted. I just purged everything except some photos that I had backed up. It was totally worth it. After that I changed passwords on my stuff and have yet to have anymore problems.