As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4e] The Siege of Underdeep (IC)

SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
edited February 2013 in Critical Failures
"Underdeep is the jeweled heart of Darkhollow. It's glittering caverns carved out of the bedrock by cautious Earthen hands,
every inch of earth and stone removed to illuminate the glimmering depths of its many gems and jewels."

The Protagonists
Dermond Ewald - Hume Knight (DaMoonRulez)
Eliezer Constanz - Hume Mage (Wildwood)
Helena Milner - Hume Warpriest (LockedOnTarget)
Lyashanna - Fey Slayer (Grog)
Rho Dramon - Hume Blackguard (BaronSamedi)

The Present Day -- August 28th, 1762 CE
The 'day' was like any other. Citizens of Underdeep woke with the 'morning bell' and the array of lantels across the city would brighten from their 'nighttime' dim aura to a bright radiance that cast soft shadows across the arcing granite cavern ceiling. The lantels were an Earthen invention: crystals bound with primal elementals of fire and light that simply enjoyed illuminating themselves as needed. A rare few would become unbound. The explosions were a sight to behold and the merry chase the freed spirits and unbound elementals were oft good for a laugh. At least so long as you weren't the one next to the exploding lantel or the poor fellow that had to go chasing after them.

Fortunately that was rare these days. Graeme, a Knight Captain in the Thunder Guard, stood atop one of the guard towers along the cavern wall. It had seemed silly to him as a newly rejuvenated Earthen to have built stone walls and towers along the granite cavern wall, but breaches in the past as well us tunnelers from above and below had proven their worth. With a heavy sigh, Graeme turned his attention to the locals and travelers gathered below. Three Rocks Morgan had brought a young lad form one of the factors in the Merchant's District. There's the tattooed Panardian that washed out of the mercenary guilds, if the rumors were true.

Scowling at the Panardian Blackguard was the Iron Warden, Ser Dermond Ewald, a Knight of the Iron Tome. The Wardens were always welcome in Underdeep. Without their aid many hundreds of years ago, the expedition might have never made it half as far as it did. The oddest of them all stood next to the knight, one of the fey folk from Thessalon. You didn't see many of the Eladrin down in the caverns of Darkhollow without dire need. Mushrooms, lantels, and rock were a poor replacement for the majestic silver and golden trees of their home above. Lya was one of a few who had been born down here so perhaps it was enough for her.

"I best get on with it," the dark granite Earthen rumbled to himself. His voice was like a small avalanche of stone. His eyes flinty sparks of pearlescent grey. He descended from the guard tower and appeared in the courtyard below a few minutes later.

"Thank you for your aid to the Thunder Guard this day, whether it be voluntary, encouraged, or you're just in it for the coin. You have my thanks regardless. One of the training warrens has been collapsed by Kobold sappers and we need you to clear them out from the other side while the diggers clear the tunnel from this side." Graeme paced across the courtyard to the Iron Warden.

"You," the Earthen said, jabbing the Iron Warden in the chest with an unyielding digit, "will be in charge of this expedition. Earns you an extra ten gold horns. The rest of you will be paid the usual sum of fifty horns. Provided you return. Should you perish, the compensation will be used to provide a proper burial in accordance with your wishes within reason." The easy to listen to rumble of the Earthen's voice washes over you with the feel of familiarity. The Earthen Thunder Guard captain could likely recite the speech in his sleep.

"We'll be sending along Helena to tend to your wounds and call on the favor of the Lord of Battle should you require his aid. Good luck and good hunting." The dark grey and white flecked granite Earthen rolled back across the courtyard and into the guard tower like an implacable boulder. A young Hume woman exits the guard tower moments later, the lightning bolt and hammer sigil of the Thunder Guard proudly displayed on shaped leather pauldrons over her chainmail.

OOC:
For whatever reasons you believe most apt for your character, you have accepted a task from the Thunder Guard to clear out one of their training warrens, a winding path of narrows trails through the Darkhollow used to train young students. Discuss anything you wish amongst yourselves, deciding whether or not any of you have met already and how you know each other or anything else still.

When you're ready to move on to the next scene, please let me know with a !ready inside a spoiler.

The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
SkyCaptain on

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Dermond bowed his head slightly to Graeme as the Earthen moved off and moved in front of the assembled adventurers. "As the Knight Captain said, I'm in charge," his gaze moved from one person to the next locking eyes with whomever attempted to do the same. "My name is Dermond Ewald, of the Iron Wardens. If anyone has any problems following me," Dermond wasn't looking at anyone in particular, but a careful observer might notice his head move towards the Panardian, "voice your dissatisfaction now. I don't want to have to deal with Kobolds and an insurrection."

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    Eli smiled broadly. "Happy to be of service, sir. Any skills and magic that I possess are at your command."

Like Three Rocks said, effort spent helping the Wardens and the Guard always pays for itself in the future, he thought to himself.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Helena crossed her arm over her chest and bowed her head in respect.

"It's an honor to work with you, sir. I promise to be worthy of your faith and your trust."

She looks back up at him, with fire in her eyes.

"I'm looking forward to bringing these little monsters down."

LockedOnTarget on
  • BaronSamediBaronSamedi Same dude as yesterday. The AlamoRegistered User regular
    Rho looked nonplussed at the subtle insult to his character, and fingered the simple steel spike and crescent shaped symbol hanging from his belt, "I've traveled with better," he said, and then added pointedly, "and worse." He straightened to his full height, just slightly shorter than the knight and looked him in the eye. "So long as the coin stays good, and you don't do anything foolhardy enough to get me killed, we will be fine."

"Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit, and your shit is stuff?"--George Carlin
    "Don't worry, mercenary, I'm coming along to make sure that doesn't happen. No one outside the Crimson Claws will be losing their lives if I have anything to say about it."

Helena doesn't look too thrilled to have the Blackguard among her companions either.

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Doing her best to look mysterious and aloof, Lya had managed to miss what the earthen had been rumbling about. The only word she needed to know was pay. Pay meant not risking her hide on smash-and-grabs while the guard harassed her parents. Meant maybe, maybe, she could get them off her back so they could go after some real bad guys.
    At that thought, her eyes moved over the tattooed hume that everyone seemed to be angry with. She'd seen him dealing with some roughs at Farlan's, a brutal show. She was glad her eyes didn't have pupils when- Rho? Was that his name?- pointed his gaze at her. Feigning some sort of mystic trance (that's what fey did topside, right?) and putting on a light, thin voice, she tried to remember mother's elven lessons

"Seasa a' oihwilo, me'nas Y’llesthrenne mal' Lyashanna nos."
    Holding herself in a haughty pose, she savoured their blank looks. Well that's one edge I've got. If they treat the big guy like that, I don't want them thinking I'm rough hewn too. With a polite smile, she explained in stuttered common,
    "I am Lyashanna. Am have please to work with all."
    Lya's probably going to avoid small talk with these guard-sorts for now, til she gets a handle on who they are. !ready

Grog on
    Helena looked over at the strange fey girl, and returned her smile.

"Nice to meet you, miss. Please be assured that your safety is my top priority"

Helena didn't know what to make of this girl. She seemed pleasant enough, but was she really capable of a mission like this one? Dermond was a Warden, no doubt worthy of leading the group. And as much as she wasn't a fan of the kind of life her other two male companions led, she knew they had the talents to get the job done. The fey's broken common didn't make Helena feel any better about it, either. She'd have to keep an eye on this one, and keep her safe if she gets in over her head.

She turns back to Dermond.

"Sir, the Guard has given me access to some supplies for our trip. A hog and cart, along with enough food and water to likely last us the mission. If you'll excuse me, I'll go fetch the cart so we can be on our way".

After another quick bow, Helena walks off to go get the party supplies. She wanted to get this over with before more people get hurt.
    Unless anyone needs or wants to stop her, Helena will get things prepared to leave, and is !ready.

This should be a fun challenge, Eli thought to himself, scanning the crew. I wonder if the kobolds will feel the same way.
    !ready

Dermond gave Rho a slight bow of his head, "Good, I'm glad to hear that. I've already received a small per diem from the Wardens and as such have no immediate need to be compensated for our mission. Therefore, I will split my earnings amongst you equally: 15 extra horns for each of you."

As Lya spoke Dermond obviously failed to understand anything she spoke in Elvish, but he did recall the greeting phrase that the more worldly Lucas had taught him long ago. The single phrase of Elvish he knew he spoke confidently and with perfect pronunciation, having practiced it for hours to avoid butchering it, "My ass is covered in boils." Dermond gave Lya a shrug, "That's the extent of my understanding of your language."

3basnids3lf9.jpg

It hadn't been easy to approach the thunders when she'd heard about this job. She'd tried to put on this ethereal charm she'd seen in her mother, to throw off some of the more familiar guardsmen at least. Being thrown together with this assorted bunch had done wonders to put her on edge as well.

These trials paled in comparison to Lya's attempt not to burst out laughing at the warden's straight-faced confession.

Managing to salvage it into a most unladylike snort, it was all she could do not to repeat the phrase back to him. Instead she deigned to nod slightly, the grace of which was marred somewhat by a mysterious coughing fit.

edited August 2011
    His head canted to one side at the fey woman's response to his greeting. Surely, Lucas wouldn't have taught him the wrong thing...but then again Lucas did always have trouble not smiling whenever Dermond hailed him in the Fey-tongue. The Warden's eyes narrowed and he made a mental note to check with the organization's linguists when he got the chance; also, it was becoming more and more likely he would have to get back at Lucas.

"Get your business in order. We'll meet back here before setting off to deal with the kobolds. Dismissed!" Dermond straightened to attention and brought a gauntleted fist to his chest in a salute before turning smartly on his heel and heading for the Warden's garrison to look for Lucas.
    !Ready

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• BaronSamediBaronSamedi Same dude as yesterday. The AlamoRegistered User regular
    Rho watched the exchange between the fey and Dermond with detachment.

At hearing the commands of the Knight, the blackguard bristled. He didn't like being ordered around by just anyone and since there weren't any Panardians to give the orders the small prices he paid for his continued ability to move forward with his retribution included taking orders from those that were beneath him.

The tattooed mercenary calmed himself and moved out the door to let Farlan know that he would be gone for a while as was common whenever work presented itself.
    !ready

"Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit, and your shit is stuff?"--George Carlin
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    The Training Warrens - Round 1
    (Combat Map)

By mid-afternoon, you're on your way and out one of the military gates of Underdeep. The rolling thunder of the massive stone barricade lowering into place rattles the very bones in your body. The Earthen likely enjoy the rumbling, being creatures of earth and stone, but it's rather disconcerting to you. Fortunately the second entrance to the training warren isn't far and young Helena guides the group expertly through the winding caverns. Nearing the warrens, you hear the gurgling echo of running water.

"That be where we'll find the Kobolds," Helena says. The rest of the group nods and moves into expansive cavern, ready for battle. The Kobolds have long been a thorn in the side of the Earthen and no quarter is expected from either side. This is obvious from the slain Earthen carefully placed in piles of rubble near the entrance with their eye-stones left on top as a warning. The entrance to the warren is a solid slab of stone bound with iron and a heavy iron ring to pull it open. To the left and right of the entrance, about twenty feet up rough stone walls, are two shadowed alcoves. You notice the gleam of glowing eyes within the shadows. A piercing yowl echoes in the cavern.

"Go away! Crimson Claws kill yous if not go away!"

Initiative
    Status
    The Good
    (C10) Dermond Ewald HP 29/29
    (B10) Eli Constanz HP 24/24
    (B12) Helena Milner HP 28/28
    (A11) Lyashanna HP 25/25
    (B9) Rho Dramon HP 29/29

The Bad
    (G10) Kobold Dragonshield 1 HP 36/36
    (E7) Kobold Slinger 1 HP 24/24
    (E6) Kobold Slinger 2 HP 24/24
    (D15) Kobold Slinger 3 HP 24/24
    (E16) Kobold Slinger 4 HP 24/24

The Dead

SkyCaptain on
    edited August 2011
    Two of the slingers step forward, thick leather straps whirling overhead. Round clay globes arc down towards the intrepid heroes! The first crashes against the stone steps in front of Dermond, a thick viscous ooze solidifying rapidly once exposed to air. The second traps Rho as he tries to knock it away before it hits him. The slingers fade back into the shadows as two more take their place, their slings whirling by their sides. Dermond is again targeted again and this time it strikes him in the hip, entrapping his legs. Helena is struck by the second attack, a black ooze igniting on her shield and burning her arm and shoulder.

Actions
    Kobold Slinger 1
    Standard Sling Shot+6 vs Dermond -- 14 vs AC 20, miss!
    Move Shift 1 square to F6

Kobold Slinger 3
    Standard Sling Shot+6 vs Rho -- 18 vs AC 16, hit for 9 damage! Rho is immobilized (save ends).
    Move Shift 1 square to E15

Kobold Slinger 2
    Minor Shift 1 square to E7
    Standard Sling Shot+6 vs Dermond -- 20 vs AC 20, hit for 7 damage! Dermond is immobilized (save ends).
    Move Shift 1 square to E6

Kobold Slinger 4
    Minor Shift 1 square to D15
    Standard Sling Shot+6 vs Helena -- 23 vs AC 17, hit for 8 damage! Helena takes 2 ongoing fire damage (save ends).
    Move Shift 1 square to E16

Status
    The Good
    (C10) Dermond Ewald HP 22/29
    -- Dermond is immobilized (save ends)
    (B12) Helena Milner HP 20/28
    -- Ongoing Fire 2 (save ends)
    (A11) Lyashanna HP 25/25
    (B9) Rho Dramon HP 20/29
    -- Rho is immobilized (save ends)

The Bad
    (F6) Kobold Slinger 1 HP 24/24
    (E15) Kobold Slinger 3 HP 24/24
    (E16) Kobold Slinger 4 HP 24/24

Encounter Features
    1. The slingers have superior cover (-5 to attack rolls) against ranged attacks from the "green" cave floor.

The Dead

[ Map ] Round 1
    [ On Deck ] Dermond, Eli, Lyashanna, Helena, Rho
    [ Up Next ] The Kobolds

SkyCaptain on
    edited August 2011
    Cursing (in common), Lyashanna spotted the little buggers trying to duck back into their tunnels. Not about to be goaded into a hole by some yellow-bellied reptiles, she loosed the arrow she had notched after it's disappearing tail. Though she didn't see it hit it's mark, she was sure she'd heard the slinger crying out in pain.

Actions:
    Minor: Poised Assault Stance
    Standard: RBA vs KS4 -- 21-5 vs AC =16 HIT
    KS4 takes 15 damage.

Status
    The Good
    -- Dermond is immobilized (save ends)
    (B12) Helena Milner HP 20/28
    (A11) Lyashanna HP 25/25
    (B9) Rho Dramon HP 20/29

The Bad
    (E16) Kobold Slinger 4 HP 9/24
    --KS4 is bloodied

Encounter Features
    1. The slingers have superior cover (-5 to attack rolls) against ranged attacks from the "green" cave floor.

The Dead

[ Map ] Round 1
    [ On Deck ] Dermond, Eli, Helena, Rho
    [ Up Next ] The Kobolds

Grog on
    edited August 2011
    Her flesh burns, but Helena bites her lip and tries to ignore it. Her team was in trouble. Whatever disgusting goo those damn pests stuck them with, she knew it wasn't good.

"I'm coming, sir!"

Summoning a beam of holy light, she hopes to burn away whatever is keeping the warden bound. However, luck didn't appear to be on her side. She'd have to do this the old fashioned way.

She runs to Dermond's side, and inspects the gluelike substance, and thinks that yeah, she can deal with this. Her own problems would have to wait.
    2 fire damage to Helena
    Minor: Soothing Light targeting Dermond Dermond's save: 1d10+2 3 FAIL
    Move: Go to C11, someone please move me if you can
    Standard: Heal check to attempt to give Dermond a save Heal check: 1d20+11 31 SUCCESS
    Dermond can either try a save now, or take a +2 bonus at the end of his turn.
    Saving throw to stop fire damage: 1d20 5 FAIL

LockedOnTarget on

Status
    The Good
    -- Dermond is immobilized (save ends) is granted a saving throw or a save bonus by Helena
    (C11) Helena Milner HP 18/28
    (A11) Lyashanna HP 25/25
    (B9) Rho Dramon HP 20/29

The Bad
    (E16) Kobold Slinger 4 HP 9/24
    --KS4 is bloodied

Encounter Features

The Dead

[ Map ] Round 1
    [ On Deck ] Dermond, Eli, Rho
    [ Up Next ] The Kobolds

"Okay," Eli says, mostly to himself. "Let's keep things simple, for now."

He waves the top of his staff in a circle, creating a glow, and then taps the butt end on the ground, sending a bolt of pure energy up after the wounded slinger. A yip echoes from the tunnel above.
    Magic Missile on KS4 - automatic 7 damage

Status
    The Good
    -- Dermond is immobilized (save ends) is granted a saving throw or a save bonus by Helena
    (A11) Lyashanna HP 25/25
    (B9) Rho Dramon HP 20/29

The Bad
    (E16) Kobold Slinger 4 HP 2/24
    --KS4 is bloodied

Encounter Features

The Dead

[ Map ] Round 1
    [ On Deck ] Dermond, Rho
    [ Up Next ] The Kobolds

edited August 2011
    The knight's shield and weapon were in hand as soon as the kobold first spoke, but his attention was focused too much on the pot that missed him to avoid the second pot hot on its heels. Dermond struggled against the glue-like substance, trying first to merely use brute strength and walk towards the door in front of the group despite the glue. That soon proved impossible, though by the time Helena came to his side to aid him, the substance had hardened enough that the application of his warhammer shattered the binding agent like a pane of glass.

"My thanks, healer," he spoke to Helena without taking his eyes from the shadowy figures of the kobolds.

Actions
    Minor: Activate Defender's Aura
    Minor: Enter stance: Defend The Line
    Save vs. Immobilize = 6. FAIL!
    Save granted by Helena = 12. SUCCESS!

Status
    The Good
    --
    (A11) Lyashanna HP 25/25
    (B9) Rho Dramon HP 20/29

The Bad
    --KS4 is bloodied

Encounter Features

The Dead

[ Map ] Round 1
    [ On Deck ] Rho
    [ Up Next ] The Kobolds

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited August 2011
    Rho curses loudly at the kobolds and shouts, "Cowards!" Raising the small steel crescent and spike in front of him, he chants a quick prayer, gathering darkness around him.

Actions
    Minor action: Activate Shroud of Shadow (Encounter, Partial concealment, +5 temporary HP)
    Save vs. Immobilize = 5. FAIL!

Status
    The Good
    --
    (A11) Lyashanna HP 25/25
    (B9) Rho Dramon HP 20/29+5

The Bad
    --KS4 is bloodied

Encounter Features

The Dead

[ Map ] Round 1
    [ On Deck ] The Kobolds!
    [ Up Next ] Dermond, Eli, Lyashanna, Helena, Rho

BaronSamedi on
    edited August 2011
    The Training Warrens - Round 2
    (Combat Map)

The slingers continue their bombardment of the adventurers. From the north and south, the knight and the slayer are hit by spiked clay pots that cover the two with a concoction that smells worse than the commodes in the dock side taverns. Two more of the crude clay pots sail out of the shadows. One strikes Rho, covering him with the same self-igniting black ooze that Helena is fighting to extinguish. The fourth attack, from the heavily wounded Kobold falls desperately short of its target, Eli the Mage. A sudden rise in the yipping language of the red-scaled humanoids echoes off the cavern walls.

Actions
    Kobold Slinger 1
    Standard Sling Shot+6 vs Dermond -- 22 vs AC 20, hit for 5 damage! Dermond is covered in foul smelling concoction.

Kobold Slinger 2
    Standard Sling Shot+6 vs Rho -- 26 -2 vs AC 16, CRITICALLY HIT for 9 damage! Rho catches fire!
    Move Shift 1 square to E6

Kobold Slinger 3
    Standard Sling Shot+6 vs Lyashanna -- 23 vs AC 18, hit for 4 damage! Lyashanna is covered in a foul smelling concoction.

Kobold Slinger 4
    Standard Sling Shot+6 vs Eli -- 7 vs AC 16, miss!
    Move Run to L11

Status
    Encounter Features
    The slingers have superior cover (-5 to attack rolls) against ranged attacks from the "green" cave floor.

The Good
    (C10) Dermond Ewald • HP 17/29
    -- Stink Pot -2 to attack rolls (save ends)
    (B10) Eli Constanz • HP 24/24
    (C11) Helena Milner • HP 18/28
    -- 2 ongoing fire damage (save ends)
    (A11) Lyashanna • HP 21/25
    (B9) Rho Dramon • HP 16/29
    -- Immobilized (save ends)

The Bad
    (G10) Kobold Dragonshield 1 • HP 36/36
    (F6) Kobold Slinger 1 • HP 24/24
    (E6) Kobold Slinger 2 • HP 24/24
    (E15) Kobold Slinger 3 • HP 24/24
    (L11) Kobold Slinger 4 • HP 2/24 Bloodied!

The Dead

[ Map ] Round 2
    [ Up Next ] The Kobolds!

SkyCaptain on
    edited August 2011
    The noxious liquid splashed over Lya's shoulder, knocking her off balance just as she loosed a powerful shot toward the northern cave mouth. Flying wide of the ducking kobold, the arrow ricocheted impossibly off the cavern wall, burying itself in the second lizard's shoulder. As the critter cried out in pain, the fey called out "Oi! Wizard! Finish that one, unless you want ta be covered in kobold piss!"
    Jogging over to the sheer wall to take cover, Lya suddenly stopped and began hacking and coughing, finally spitting out a glob of something green and sticky. "Ugh, I think some of it went in my mouth".

Actions
    Standard RBA vs KS1 - 14-2(forgot the stink)=12 vs AC, Miss, gargh look at that damage.
    F this- Free Action Inevitable Shot (daily): RBA vs KS2 14 vs AC HIT (origin square is F6, so no concealment)
    -KS2 takes 17 damage.
    Move to B7
    Save vs Stink: 19 No stinky!

Status
    Encounter Features
    The slingers have superior cover (-5 to attack rolls) against ranged attacks from the "green" cave floor.

The Good

The Bad
    (E6) Kobold Slinger 2 • HP 7/24Bloodied!

The Dead

[ Map ] Round 2
    [ On Deck ] Dermond, Eli, Helena, Rho
    [ Up Next ] The Kobolds!

Grog on
    edited August 2011
    "Kobold piss, eh? Not my favorite, I have to say."

Eli did the same circle-and-tap motion with his staff, sending an arc of energy at the other pair of slingers. It struck the wounded one, which fell back into the shadows, dead.
    Magic Missile at KS2 - automatic 7 damage - KS2 dead

Status
    Encounter Features

The Good

The Bad

The Dead
    (E6) Kobold Slinger 2 • HP 0/24

[ Map ] Round 2
    [ On Deck ] Dermond, Helena, Rho
    [ Up Next ] The Kobolds!

wildwood on
    "We need to press forward, these thrown objects are pissing me off," Dermond sniffed one of the splashes of liquid, "and on, it seems." The Warden moved forwards, up the steps and to the large door, grabbing the ring and pulling hard. He expected more of the kobolds' friends to be behind the door, so he readied himself to strike if any kobold appeared before him.

Actions: Move to F10. ready MBA when door opens to attack nearest enemy.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited August 2011
    Dermond the Knight, esteemed member of the Iron Wardens charges up the crude stone stairs. He gives a mighty tug on the door, and the suddenness with which the iron handle comes free surprises him greatly. A slick liquid begins spraying out of the socket where the handle used to be attached. Dermond, already off balance, slips in the oil and goes tumbling down the steps. The clatter of armor and grunts of pain causes the kobold hiding on the other side of the door to cheer.

Status
    Encounter Features

The Good
    (C10) Dermond Ewald • HP 13/29 Bloodied!
    -- Prone

The Bad

The Dead

[ Map ] Round 2
    [ On Deck ] Helena, Rho
    [ Up Next ] The Kobolds!

SkyCaptain on
    edited August 2011
    Helena was getting ready to follow the Warden, whe he suddenly came tumbling down the steps. Cursing under her breath, she quickly washed Dermond in a powerful healing light, which would hopefully be enough to keep him safe. She had enough. Her team was right where those accursed kobolds wanted them. She knew that they needed to press forward, or else they'd be stuck down there while the cowards picked them off one by one.

She ran up the other staircase, hoping that there weren't any more tricks waiting for her at the top as she gave the burns on her skin a quick blast of holy energy to stop the pain from spreading.
    Helena takes 2 ongoing fire damage
    Minor: Healing Word targeting Dermond, Dermond loses one surge and gains 7 HP, plus Dermond's bonus healing: 1d6 6 for a total of 13, he also gets +2 to all defenses until the start of Helena's next turn, due to her Shielding Word feat
    Double Move: Helena moves up the south stairs to F11, ready to go for the door next turn
    Saving throw vs. ongoing fire damage saving throw: 1d20 16 SUCCESS!

Status
    Encounter Features

The Good
    (C10) Dermond Ewald • HP 26/29
    -- Prone
    -- +2 to all defenses until the start of Helena's next turn
    (C11) Helena Milner • HP 16/28

The Bad

The Dead

[ Map ] Round 2
    [ On Deck ] Rho
    [ Up Next ] The Kobolds!

LockedOnTarget on
    edited August 2011
    Rho shouts more curses at the scaly assailants and bats at the fire spreading along his body, putting the flames out as quickly as he can. With a grunt of effort he breaks the sludgey bonds trapping him. "Filthy cowards," He bellows in adulation. "You are mine! I will make trophies of your ears and feed your your own eyes!"
    Rho takes 2 ongoing fire damage
    Saving throw vs. ongoing fire damage saving throw: 1d20 17 Success!
    Saving throw vs. immobilization saving throw: 1d20 6
    Immediate Reaction Heroic Effort! Failed save +4 racial reaction. 10! Success!

Status
    Encounter Features

The Good
    -- Prone
    (B9) Rho Dramon • HP 14/29Bloodied!

The Bad

The Dead

[ Map ] Round 2
    [ On Deck ]The Kobolds!

BaronSamedi on
    edited August 2011
    The Training Warrens - Round 3
    (Combat Map)

The heavy stone door opens abruptly and heavily armored kobold carrying a short sword and heavy shield howls at Helena the Warpriest. His short blade flashes and is deftly blocked by Helena. Her shield batters the blade aside. The dragonshield snarls and shouts at the fleeing kobold slinger. The slinger looks back in shock, seeing the door open and screeches at the dragonshield and then hurls his last clay pot at Helena. The ceramic globe shatters against the door, holding it open. The dragonshield sees this and starts yammering angrily. Back in the cavern outside the entrance, Eli and Rho are immobilized by the sticky ooze as the slingers launch the last of their clay pots.

Action
    Kobold Dragonshield
    Move Open the Stone Door
    Standard Short Sword+7 vs Helena -- 11 vs AC 17, miss!

Kobold Slinger 1
    Standard Sling Shot+6-2 (Knight's Aura) vs Eli -- 21 vs AC 17, hit for 8 damage! Eli is immobilized!

Kobold Slinger 3
    Standard Sling Shot+6-2 (Knight's Aura) vs Rho -- 23 vs AC 16, hit for 7 damage! Rho is immobilized!

Kobold Slinger 4
    Standard Sling Shot+6 vs Helena -- 9 vs AC 17, miss!
    Move Run to M4
    Minor Shift to J3

Status
    Encounter Features
    The dragonshield has cover (-2 to attack rolls) against ranged attacks from the "green" cave floor while the door is open.
    The stone door is immobilized until the dragonshield or another adjacent kobold passes a DC 15 Strength check.
    The landing in front of the stone door is covered in a slick oil. (E10, E11, F10, F11) Any creature that makes an attack or uses a move action while in this zone of oil must pass a DC 10 Acrobatics check or fall prone before the action can be completed.

The Good
    -- Prone
    (B10) Eli Constanz • HP 16/24
    (B9) Rho Dramon • HP 7/29 Bloodied!

The Bad
    (J3) Kobold Slinger 4 • HP 2/24 Bloodied!

The Dead

[ Map ] Round 3
    [ Up Next ] The Kobolds!

SkyCaptain on
    edited August 2011
    Damn it, the mercenary was in trouble. As much as she wasn't a fan of Rho's choice of lifestyle, she wasn't about to let him fall. Another blast of holy power down to the floor below worked to mend Rho's wounds. But Helena makes a critical mistake, turning her back to the kobold on the other sie of the door! Helena screams in pain as it's sword finds it's way into her shoulder! Wincing, she almost falls to her knees as she turns to face it, blood dripping down her side and arm. The pain was excruciating. Helena glared at it, not losing any hint of her determination.

"I'm bringing you to justice, monster, and you're gonna have to do more than this to stop me!"
    Minor: Healing Word targeting Rho, provokes AOO Dragonshield attack: 1d20+7 27 CRITICAL HIT, Helena takes 12 damage, Rho loses a surge and heals for 7+Healing Word bonus HP: 1d6 4 for a total of 11 HP. Also, Rho is now under the effects of Shielding Word, and Helena is marked
    Standard: Helena uses her Second Wind, losing a surge, healing for 7 HP, and getting defense bonuses

Status
    Encounter Features
    The dragonshield has cover (-2 to attack rolls) against ranged attacks from the "green" cave floor while the door is open.
    The stone door is immobilized until the dragonshield or another adjacent kobold passes a DC 15 Strength check.
    The landing in front of the stone door is covered in a slick oil. (E10, E11, F10, F11) Any creature that makes an attack or uses a move action while in this zone of oil must pass a DC 10 Acrobatics check or fall prone before the action can be completed.

The Good
    -- Prone
    (C11) Helena Milner • HP 11/28 Bloodied!
    -- Marked by Dragonshield
    (B9) Rho Dramon • HP 18/29

The Bad

The Dead

[ Map ] Round 3
    [ On Deck ] Dermond, Eli, Lyashanna, Rho
    [ Up Next ] The Kobolds!

LockedOnTarget on
    edited August 2011
    Moving up toward the door, Lya cursed her luck as another arrow clattered off the cave wall. They'd either have to get in, or get the kobolds out. But she had no intention of tromping through slime to get there...

Action
    Move Move to D11
    Standard RBA vs KS3 Crit miss.

Status
    Encounter Features

The Good
    -- Prone
    (B9) Rho Dramon • HP 7/29 Bloodied!

The Bad

The Dead

[ Map ] Round 3
    [ On Deck ] Dermond, Eli, Rho
    [ Up Next ] The Kobolds!

Grog on
    edited August 2011
    Eliezer clears his throat and starts muttering, waving his hand and the head of his staff back and forth in front of him, gazing intently at the Dragonshield. The mutterings carry much further than they normally would, and the kobold seems instantly transfixed. He moves forward toward the sound, oblivious to all around him - through the door, past the cleric and out onto the slickened landing.

As the kobold shakes off his confusion, Eli tries to shake free of the goop, to no success. In fact, he barely manages to avoid falling over.

Action:
    Hypnotism on Dragonshield, 1d20+5-2 = 23 Crit! (Any bonuses for a crit on hypnotism? :) )
    Slide KD1 to D10
    Save vs immobilized, 1d20 = 1, crit fail

Status
    Encounter Features

The Good
    -- Prone
    (F11) Helena Milner • HP 11/28 bloodied!
    (D11) Lyashanna • HP 21/25

The Bad
    (D10) Kobold Dragonshield 1 • HP 36/36

The Dead

[ Map ] Round 3
    [ On Deck ] Dermond, Rho
    [ Up Next ] The Kobolds!

wildwood on
    edited August 2011
    ignore this post.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited August 2011
    Current and Updated Status
    Encounter Features
    The landing in front of the stone door and the north set of stairs are covered in a slick oil. (Oil Slicked Squares: D8, D9, D10, E8, E9, E10, E11, F10, F11) Any creature that makes an attack or uses a move action while in this zone of oil must pass a DC 10 Acrobatics check or fall prone before the action can be completed.

The Good
    (F11) Helena Milner • HP 16/28

The Bad
    (E10) Kobold Dragonshield 1 • HP 36/36
    -- Prone

The Dead

[ Map ] Round 3
    [ On Deck ] Rho
    [ Up Next ] The Kobolds!

SkyCaptain on
    edited August 2011
    Dermond stood up and took stock of the situation; this wasn't the kind of fight he was used to on the surface. At least the beastmen had the decency to stand out in the open and fight toe to toe with the Wardens. The trickery these kobolds was using was in poor sport! The knight moved to the base of the stairs and hoped he could get to Helena before the Kobold that had been behind the door could get to his feet and attack the Thunder Guard.
    Move: Stand Up
    Second Move: To E14 at the base of the stairs.
    Saving throw Fails.

Encounter Features
    The landing in front of the stone door and the north set of stairs are covered in a slick oil. (Oil Slicked Squares: D8, D9, D10, E8, E9, E10, E11, F10, F11) Any creature that makes an attack or uses a move action while in this zone of oil must pass a DC 10 Acrobatics check or fall prone before the action can be completed.

The Good
    (E14) Dermond Ewald • HP 26/29

The Bad
    -- Prone

The Dead

[ Map ] Round 3
    [ On Deck ] Rho
    [ Up Next ] The Kobolds!

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited August 2011
    Improper edit.

BaronSamedi on
    edited August 2011
    Rho curses and tries to duck as a new projectile heads his way, failing to do so. "Cullain take you all to the pits!" The thick gooey liquid traps him once more. He bats at it again but fails to break its hold. He feels the warpriest's power wash over him and his pain begins to subside.

"My thanks Warpriest," he yells over the din and clatter of combat in the cave.
    Saving throw Fails.

Encounter Features

The Good

The Bad
    -- Prone

The Dead

[ Map ] Round 3
    [ On Deck ] The kobolds.

BaronSamedi on
    edited August 2011
    The Training Warrens - Round 4
    (Combat Map)

The slingers again leap forward with slings whirling. From the north, another clay pot arcs over the dragon shield and Helena, striking the knight, Dermond, on the shield. The viscous liquid splatters across his raised shield which wards him from the attack. The other slinger hurls a jagged stone at Eli striking him on the arm with a glancing blow. While it is briefly painful, it doesn't cause any lasting wounds. Helena is momentarily distracted by the shout of pain from the young mage and doesn't notice the Dragonshield rise to his feet. His short sword strikes just below the shield as she turns to place it between her and the fierce, heavily armored kobold.

Actions
    Kobold Slinger 1
    Move Shift 1 square to E7
    Minor Take clay pot from Kobold Slinger 2
    Standard Sling Shot + 6 - 2 (Cover) vs Dermond -- 15 vs AC 20, miss!

Kobold Slinger 3
    Standard Sling Shot+6 vs Eli -- 14 vs AC 17, miss!

Kobold Dragonshield
    Move Stand up from Prone
    Standard Short Sword+7 vs Helena -- 23 vs AC 17, hit for 8 damage!
    Acrobatics 13 (Success)

Status
    Encounter Features
    The landing in front of the stone door and the north set of stairs are covered in a slick oil. Any creature that makes an attack or uses a move action while in this zone of oil must pass a DC 10 Acrobatics check or fall prone after the action is completed. Oil Slicked Squares: D8, D9, D10, E8, E9, E10, E11, F10, F11

The Good
    (F11) Helena Milner • HP 8/28 Bloodied!

The Bad
    (E7) Kobold Slinger 1 • HP 24/24
    -- Vulnerable to ranged attacks! The slinger has lost the protection of the alcove.

The Vanquished
    (??) Kobold Slinger 4 • HP 2/24 Bloodied! Out of Combat!

[ Map ] Round 4
    [ Up Next ] The Kobolds

SkyCaptain on
    edited August 2011
    double. sorry.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited August 2011
    Dermond made his way up the stairs and moved to attack the kobold so that Helena could tend to her wounds. He nearly lost his footing on the slippery stones but his maintained his balance long enough to swing his hammer at the enemy. The knight added increased his effort on the swing, heroically some might say, and connected. "Finally! This is the kind of combat I ca-" There was more to the sentence, but the Iron Warden, a legendary warrior, was busy slipping and falling on his ass.

Actions Status
    Encounter Features
    The landing in front of the stone door and the north set of stairs are covered in a slick oil. Any creature that makes an attack or uses a move action while in this zone of oil must pass a DC 10 Acrobatics check or fall prone before the action can be completed. Oil Slicked Squares: D8, D9, D10, E8, E9, E10, E11, F10, F11

The Good
    (E11) Dermond Ewald • HP 26/29
    (F11) Helena Milner • HP 8/28 Bloodied!

The Bad
    (E10) Kobold Dragonshield 1 • HP 26/36
    (E7) Kobold Slinger 1 • HP 24/24
    -- Vulnerable to ranged attacks! The slinger has lost the protection of the alcove.

The Vanquished
    (??) Kobold Slinger 4 • HP 2/24 Bloodied! Out of Combat!

[ Map ] Round 4
    [ On Deck ] Eli, Lyashanna, Helena, Rho
    [ Up Next ] The Kobolds [/quote]

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg