As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

To all the Dads in attendance...

2»

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dad taught me to be a man in all things. Never complain, never make anyone else do something you could damn well do yourself. Always admit your shortcomings and always correct them. Never cry. Never say you can't do something until you're damn well sure it's impossible.

Which on paper sounds awesome, however his method of instilling this is to scream at his child in a hospital bed becasue I wasn't getting well quick enough and he had shit to do.

Basicly I grew up with a Marine drill instructor.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Butters wrote: »
    My dad is pretty cool when he's not driving me nuts.

this too

Orikaeshigitae on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My dad was a terrible father and a worse human being. He'd left my mother with seven children, no job and no education (because he made damn sure he talked her out of going to college), and then repeatedly drug my mom back into court over minor and/or made-up things just to squeeze her with legal fees. Then he married this wretched, racist, sexist, redneck, terror of a woman, and tried to make us call her "mom", despite the fact that she seemed to have it in for me specificly from square one. Oh, and when I wouldn't jump on the hate-mom bandwagon, he tried to convince my siblings I'd been having sex with my uncle. Whooooooops. And then, he'd try to take the moral high ground because he and his horrible she-beast were Christians, while I don't believe in God. I'm just scratching the surface here, but I'm gonna stop because I don't want this to turn into an eleven post long olol livejournal.

So anyway we're gonna go visit my grandfather today. He is a cool dude. He's a veteran, and before he retired he used to run a business that made parts for airlines and occasionally for NASA.

TheySlashThem on
  • As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well damn.

I hope you siblings didn't fall for that bull.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Im not anyones father (that I know of anyway) But for today I'll be more than happy to be someones daddy

:winky:

Bedlam on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My dad is a useless sack of shit

so kudos to all you actual good dads out there.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My dad is a useless sack of shit

so kudos to all you actual good dads out there.

hear hear

TheySlashThem on
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    GO US WITH TERRIBLE DADS

WOO

Sara Lynn on
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I totally won the Dad lottery.

I've heard some home-spun bromide that the best thing a father can do for his kids is love their Mother, and if so, I've been the luckiest son on Earth...my parents, in defiance of all rational expectations, remain sappily in love with each other, despite marrying at 22 and 19. He's been a great role-model, showing me the value of hard work, tenacity, loyalty, integrity, independence, and self-teaching. He's not perfect, and like most fathers and sons, we have trouble communicating. But I know that he loves and respects me, and he knows that I love and respect him.

Before I was born, my parents drew straws to decide who'd name me, their first child. Dad won. He decided that I'd be named Andrew Louis, if I were a boy. Following my birth, when it came time to select my name, he surprised my Mom by switching instead to Eric, naming me after her family (the Ericksons), to which she was--and remains--very, very close. She insisted that my middle name be Alan, after him. In a sense, my name itself is like a love-letter written by both my parents.

So thanks, Dad, for being an incredible father and a devoted family man. I'm sorry that our relationship, while strong, will never really allow me to share most of these feelings with you.

tl;dr My Dad is awesome and rad and I am so lucky.

naporeon on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    my dad hasn't been around for the last 22 years.

I'll wait for Douche Day to celebrate him

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    I didn't get my dad a present because he doesn't use anything I get him (or that he asks for, for that matter)

but I remember a while ago he was looking for a GPS and Best Buy has one on sale for $200 (a Magellan Maestro 3100) but I don't know what's good or not and I only have like $200-$250 to spend

Garlic Bread on
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I rarely buy my Dad gifts, because he shits on whatever you give him.

I mean, he is awesome and rad and I love him, but shit...fucker is impossible to shop for.

The only thing I've ever given him that he's seemed to enjoy was just an old-school "Hockey Night in Canada" ringer tee that I bought on a whim on a trip to Victoria.

naporeon on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    My dad will tell me what to get him, and then not touch it

Like, he said last year (for his birthday) to get him Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire on DVD, so I did

didn't open it for two months when he watched it on HBO but missed the end

Garlic Bread on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah my dad does that too.

"I love westerns" and he watches them all the time on TV.

Then I buy him a couple(Fistful of dollars, the man with no name, and a John Wayne one I can't remember the name of) for Christmas two years ago and they still aren't opened.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    edited June 2007
    does anyone know anything about GPSes?

Like, I think the one I'm looking at only tells you where you are, it doesn't map out the route or anything

which is fine

but you don't have to pay for a subscription for them or anything, do you

Garlic Bread on
  • DranoDrano __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    fuck, i would have forgotten..
    wheres one of those sites you can send internet greeting cards through

Drano on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I got my dad a charger for his iTunes, an iTunes card and some chocolate.

Meissnerd on
  • StrayDogStrayDog Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    My Dad is at indianapolis right fucking now cause my sister decided to go the whole hog this fathers day.

puts my worlds greatest dad mug to shame so hard.

Man I woke up about half an hour ago, so I read that as "my dad is fucking my sister right now" at first. D:

My dad's a pretty cool guy, but hasn't been much of a dad. He wasn't around much and was kinda a dick, but he made damned sure my mom was spending child support money on me and not all the expensive things she likes to buy. But I'm all grown up now and living on my own.

I should call him, but his work takes him all over the world so I don't know exactly where he is right now. He retired from the military 3 years ago, but took this government job afterwards which sends him everywhere from Afghanistan to Spain to Hong Kong. I joke that he's in the CIA or something, but he's a pretty old guy now.

StrayDog on
    Let me go down in the mud, where the rivers all run dry.
  • Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wow I didn't think about opening wounds for people when I made this. Sorry all. I know the pain you're going through though. My dad was an abusive, alcoholic that womanized. He has cleaned up since then and i'm happy to say he and I finally have a close relationship.

Dogbone33 on
    Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • DranoDrano __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    i offered to watch the new die hard with him when it comes out
    i started to watch nascar with him but then i was like nah

Drano on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    naporeon wrote: »
    I rarely buy my Dad gifts, because he shits on whatever you give him.

I mean, he is awesome and rad and I love him, but shit...fucker is impossible to shop for.

The only thing I've ever given him that he's seemed to enjoy was just an old-school "Hockey Night in Canada" ringer tee that I bought on a whim on a trip to Victoria.

I rarely drive steamboats.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    my dad's an awesome artist
    for fathers day, i bought him a "top 100 artists" book
    then i copied the template, did a write up and stuck him in as the number one artist

i think he'll enjoy it

i hope to some day be a father. i'd be a good father.

mully on
  • BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    *pours a forty on the curb*

I'll see you again someday dad

IN VALHALLA

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I told my friend's little brother Happy Father's Day cuz he got a girl pregnant.

He's 14

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I had pretty much won the dad lottery too.

Then he died when I was 4.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    I told my friend's little brother Happy Father's Day cuz he got a girl pregnant.

He's 14

You should have bought him an abortion as a father's day present.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My father was a deadbeat shitface.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I took my dad out to a sports bar and watched the Padres beat the Cubs

nothing says "I love you Dad" like being drunk at noon

the wook on
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I was supposed to bring my dad for a drink, but turns out he's going on holiday for a week

FAQ on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My biological father is a piece of shit meth addict that I haven't seen for 13 years.

My step-father, on the other hand, is a hard working man and a great role model.

Marathon on
  • MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I haven't talked to my dad in almost 3 years now.

Talking to him always ends with me feeling bad about myself so I don't do it anymore.

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    shit I called my dad and told him happy father's day last Sunday

and he didn't even correct me!

"happy father's day, dad, I'm a total retard" is what he probably heard

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, I should really call my dad...
    but I haven't talked to either of my parents in a really really long time. They don't even know that I live in Seattle...

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    the wook wrote: »
    I took my dad out to a sports bar and watched the Padres beat the Cubs

nothing says "I love you Dad" like being drunk at noon

:^: Hell yeah to that shit.

I meant the Cubs getting beat at least. I got drunk with my dad last night.

Dogbone33 on
    Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My dad is pretty awesome.

He works hard, loves his family, and taught me a great many lessons about not being a fucking pansy.
    Problem is, he doesn't exactly know how to talk to my emotionally unstable younger brother, so his lessons for him mainly involve lots of fighting and yelling.

I got him the Absolute Watchmen. He likes to read any thing with intrigue in it, and Watchmen is something everybody should read once before they die.

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112