As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Acts of Kindness

OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited August 2011 in Social Entropy++
Let's keep this story train rollin'.

When I was in high school, I was incredibly shy and awkward. Somehow I worked up the nerve to audition for the yearly musical which the arts departments staged together. This was the whole reason I'd attended this school instead of another: I'd been really interested on acting, but never had the guts to try.

I didn't get a part.

I tried again next year, this time with more success. I snagged a lead part - Jacob, Joseph's father, with the dreamcoat - with just a five-measure solo, but I didn't care, because I was doing what I'd wanted to. Offstage, I was still an awkward misfit, even with the other stage kids, but onstage i knew the right words to say and exactly what to do with myself.

A week before the play was set to premiere, the stage manager and director (one of the drama teachers, someone we all respected) broke down and cried. She blamed herself, she said, for not being a better leader. We weren't professionals, so we couldn't be expected to pull through in the clinch like one. We had all been having too much fun and not practicing enough. Unless things turned around, we would have to cancel production. We were collectively heartbroken.

We had already been practicing most days after school, but for the final stretch we went all out, sacrificing our lunch hours and weekends to spend every free minute rehearsing. After the dress rehearsal, the manager broke down again, but this time for a different reason. I still remember how happy she looked.

But the icing on the cake happened at the wrap party, after an entirely sold out run. Someone had spiked the punch - I think one of the music teachers - and we were all having a great time. The stage manager appeared, moving quickly through the crowd with a box of party favours and a jumble of balloons. She handed one to me, pointing at it and smiling before disappearing back into the crowd. Mystified, I pulled the balloon down and looked it over closely. She had written a message on it in Sharpie. It read:

"to Karl - thanks to your hard work, you were the best Jacob anyone could ask for. I'm so proud of you."

I still have that balloon, somewhere.

What do you remember with a fond smile, SE?

Orikaeshigitae on

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i have like a photographic memory

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    can't think of any

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I smoked most of my memories away a few years ago.

I have a vague feeling there were some good ones.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    You know, with all the good things that happened in my life, none of them really stand out. i guess that's what happens when you are a shit growing up.

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    When my son was born is a good memory. He scared the shit out of me by coming 7 weeks early, but after the initial scare things were OK.

Getting awarded my first patent was a big sense of accomplishment.

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    I had a really good sandwich a few minutes ago

sig.png
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Pretty much all of PAX East earlier this year.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    riding on my grandads knee while he sang a song about horses

i was maybe 4

he died this year

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I have a fond memory of the first time I got my dick wet. Was at a new years party at a friend's house and a few of us had too much to drink and crashed at their house. I ended up banging my new gf Dana on their living room floor.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I can't really think of anything that stands out

• Options
    Druhim wrote:
    I have a fond memory of the first time I got my dick wet. Was at a new years party at Caligula's house and a few of us had too much to drink and crashed at their house. I ended up banging my new gf Dana on their living room floor.

• Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    that time I got heartburn was awfully heartwarming

thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    Jordyn wrote:

That time?

You've only had it once!?

• Options
    Jordyn wrote:

booooo

sig.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    everything is closed here right now due to a fest

and I am jonesing for some cola

seriously thinking about driving to a school the next town over, because that is the only place I know that'd still be open at this time of night and has a vending machine

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    Fond memories? Not really except for the standard "meet wife, propose, etc". But that whole deal is still going on so it's not really a memory. Accomplishments, now I do have one of those

Years ago I was a contract IT tech for a company. Contract techs were not allowed any of the benefits/perks of being fulltime, and although they tried their hardest they couldn't budget me a real position. I worked my ass off anyway

After about 9 months of supporting this one particular high-priority project, they had a neat event celebrating its completion. I was invited and decided to go. During the party, they gave out awards to the employees who did really awesome shit and I was standing in the back having a beer when the Vice President calls my name and says "We aren't supposed to do this but this guy deserves an award for all the work he did supporting this project" and some more words that I don't remember

So I got an award I wasn't supposed to, a plaque and a bonus. It was pretty awesome. Then things happened and I had to find another job because the company was "slimming down"

Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    I remember when I used to really be into nostalgia.

• Options
    Things were so much better when I was 6.

• Options
    I don't really have any fond and joyous memories, but I don't have any horrific or embarrassing ones either

I am
    humanity's median

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh I also have fond memories fishing with my dad, especially when we were leasing a trawler out of lake Union and we'd go fishing in Puget Sound. There was also the time I went fishing with my father and his co-worker at some alpine lake in the Cascades. We left before dawn and drove for a couple of hours to get there, including a considerable stretch along logging roads. Then hiking through underbrush to the small lake that was completely surrounded by pine and undergrowth. His co-worker was fly fishing and had pretty good success, but my father and I weren't fly-fishers so we were just using lures and didn't catch shit. However the really cool moment that stood out for me was a couple of hours after dawn (this was summer) and it was clear and sunny, but we were in the shade because of all the trees. There was a small peak on the other side of the lake, and with the sky clear, this cloud rolled in over the peak and down to the lake. As this wall of fog was rolling across the lake, mayflies started rising en masse just in front of the fog line and as they rose, trout started breaking the surface all over the lake feeding on them. It was surreal and beautiful.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote:
    I remember when I used to really be into nostalgia.

those were simpler times.

• Options
    Dichotomy wrote:
    I don't really have any fond and joyous memories, but I don't have any horrific or embarrassing ones either

I am
    humanity's median

The Adventures of Average Man!

• Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    Things were shit when I was 6

Probably still shit today

Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I made some pretty good posts in 2007

a very good year for posts

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    Things like cartoons I mean.

Fond memories of some thundercat reruns.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    I am too tired for happiness

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    When I was sixteen my dog ran away from home. Now this wasn't necessarily an uncommon occurrence, as he was a randy piece of shit and liked the ladies far and wide, but this time he had been gone for five or six days and we assumed he was gone for good. So I was moping and missing my dog on some random day off from high school, conferences or something, so imagine my utter joy when the phone rang and it was a nice old lady with my dog on the other end!

But being a work/school day, my parents were elsewhere. I didn't have a license, much less a car at that point, so I started calling relatives because goddammit I wanted my dog back. The only person who picked up their phone was my grandpa.

Backstory: my grandpa Jim, my Dad's Dad, was kind of a dick. A bit of an alcoholic, former Marine, boxer, die-hard Catholic sonofabitch who at that point was spending his retirement from bricklaying drinking Tanqueray and Squirt, fishing for walleye, harassing my grandma and his other grandkids (whom he lovingly referred to as Brats), and watching hockey on his big screen TV.

I was a bit nervous because though he was the one who taught me almost everything I knew about mechanical things, he was a bit rough, and the idea of being called Brat Number One for the next two hours as we went to fetch my dog was a bit intimidating. But I wanted my damn dog back so I said yes, come get me, I'll write out directions.

He picks me up, I spend the next hour not speaking and listening to AM radio as grandpa grumbles about "damn dogs" and "silly Brats" etc. Get there. Get my dog! Glory glory hallelujah, I have my dog back! And the lady even gave his rank ass a bath so he smelled like baby powder and dog slobber, instead of just slobber and whatever he'd been rolling in.

Corral the dog into grandpa's car, shout thank you at the lady, and proceed to snuggle my pup, oblivious to much else. As we pull out of the lady's driveway, grandpa turns to me and shoves a previously hidden half-empty package of hot dogs at me, gives me the biggest, happiest grin I'd ever seen on his face, and whispers "Don't tell your Grandma".

It was one of the last moments I had with gramps before he passed later that year and I am still so happy I had that moment of bonding over a man/lady and his/her dog.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    So, I'm 13, fresh out of the hospital. I'm really, really sickly still and just all around miserable. My parents were acting very weird all day, and kept asking me to go int he garage to get something, a wrench, a can of soda, a bag of whatever.... just all day. It was like 10 below zero and I felt like shit and kept whining and putting it off like a little 13 shit is apt to do.

Finally my father rips the blanket off of me and goes off on a rant about how lazy I am, and how I'd just feel better if I got off my ass and did something.

So I get up, muttering under my breath about what an asshole he is and make my way to the garage to get the wrench he could have easily gotten himself like 2 hours ago if he wasn't such a lazy piece of....

My heart stops.

Sitting in the garage is a cherry red 1970 Oldsmobile 4-4-2. Next to it is a GIANT PILE of parts from Year-One. Across the garage is one of those cheesey letter banners you make for kids birthday parties "Good Job Not Being Dead"

That was pretty awesome. One of the few times my Dad actually went above and beyond to do something fuckawesome.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote:
    Jordyn wrote:

That time?

You've only had it once!?

Yep.

thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    hm

well

after years of wanting one i finally got a cat some time ago
    other than that nada

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I am confused as to how people don't have fond memories.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I can't think of a story of my own, so I'm going to steal someone else's, because it was awesome and I know you've all read it, but time to read it again!

An old-school badass
    kedinik wrote:
    Back in high school my friends and I used to hike up this mountain that overlooked our hometown. We designed a flag featuring (among other things) a drawing of Chewbacca, and we each signed it. We posted the flag on a PVC pipe that we glued to a rock formation. Another group of hikers left a lockbox and a notebook on the peak, so people began leaving journal entries and signing the flag when they visited. We graduated and attended different colleges, but we still got together and climbed back up to our old flag during holidays.

A string of wild fires broke out during our freshman year, including one that surrounded our home town. The fire fighters kept the fire from destroying any homes, but I saw news footage of our flag mountain engulfed in flames. I returned home and climbed the mountain the next chance that I got.

From the mountain's base I could already see that the flag was gone, but I wanted to survey the damages and check for the logbook. I walked through several miles of blackened, burned out brush to reach the top. It was extremely desolate, so I was even a little bit more depressed when I reached the peak than when I began the hike. However, two awesome things greeted me at journey's end:

1) Our PVC flag staff had been replaced with a far-superior metal rod that was driven into the ground.
    2) The lockbox and logbook survived.

I flipped through the logbook, checking for entries post-fire, and found the following:

---
    I made my way up here as soon as possible and did all that I could. Unfortunately, I was unable to save the flag. We have installed a new flag post for your future use.

I shall return when the mountain burns again.

-The Fire Chief

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    one time at summer camp I hit the leader of a gang who were making me and another kid miserable in the head with a broom

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod

My fondest memory was when everyone here got Alzheimer's.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    is it really that confusing to find dour, mirthless people on the internet

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Larlar wrote:

I don't remember that at all.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Larlar wrote:

I don't remember that.

EDIT: Fuck you Rank.

Also fuck you Rank.

Hunter on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Alzheimers you say

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

I'm young and rather boring

I think some of my closest friendship moments with anyone have been on this actual board, in terms of support regarding various problems, but nothing particularly fond stands out. A few parties with friends were great times, but not really a fond moment.

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Now all I can think of is my grandfather slowly succumbing to Alzheimer's

And that's not fond at all.

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png