As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Greeks! (collegiate style!)

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I had an associate in college who is in a band frat. I imagine it's pretty decent. Not something to attract too many major assholes, pretension aside.

It's just, you know.

Band. :P
    Dude, the band at the college I went to could drink any frat under the table.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So a lot of people have a lot of notions they associate with fraternities obviously.

What do people think of when they think about sororities?

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    KungFu wrote: »
    So a lot of people have a lot of notions they associate with fraternities obviously.

If you aren't pretty, you don't get in.

deadonthestreet on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

Unless they really need members.

Then you're in until they reach critical mass of attractive people.

Incenjucar on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007

At which point they chuck out all the fatties, uggos, and non-blondes. Which literally happened a few months back with one of the female ones :?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    At which point they chuck out all the fatties, uggos, and non-blondes. Which literally happened a few months back with one of the female ones :?

I think that's where I got that from.

The only thing I really remember about sororities on my campus was a story about a girl getting so drunk that she danced naked on a roof and fell off.

Incenjucar on
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

You mean they got rid of the ugly people after letting them in and having them for multiple semesters? Wow, that's harsh.

But yeah, sororities are all sectioned off in terms of how attractive the people in them are, and little else. This is pretty apparent at Georgia Tech, where, with only 6 sororities, there are the "hot", "kinda hot", "attractive", "average", "ugly", and "oh dear god no" sororities, with exactly one in each category.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007

LOL, sort of a tangent here, but one of my friends is a total asshole towards sorority girls. Whenever he drives by a group of them, he opens the window and screams "hey, look at the fat one!"

ege02 on
    edited June 2007
    You mean they got rid of the ugly people after letting them in and having them for multiple semesters? Wow, that's harsh.

But yeah, sororities are all sectioned off in terms of how attractive the people in them are, and little else. This is pretty apparent at Georgia Tech, where, with only 6 sororities, there are the "hot", "kinda hot", "attractive", "average", "ugly", and "oh dear god no" sororities, with exactly one in each category.

I don't know how long they'd been members, but the way they ditched anyone 'overweight' and all the asian and black members was enough to get them kicked off at least one campus.

Ah, it was Delta Zeta at DePauw, IN. Article here. A bunch of those who made the cut also quit in protest, so its not all bad - just typical poor management that you see in student-run organisations. It usually comes out via student politics and the guild here :P Like the article says though, it does betray the basic purpose of the traditional sorority, which is to provide willing(?) sex partners for the frat guys.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    NYT wrote:
    When a psychology professor at DePauw University here surveyed students, they described one sorority as a group of ''daddy's little princesses'' and another as ''offbeat hippies.'' The sisters of Delta Zeta were seen as ''socially awkward.'' Worried that a negative stereotype of the sorority was contributing to a decline ...

That was the motivation, in case anyone didn't remember, or happen to click through the link on that blog. The national leadership got wind of that survey and thought what? DePauw University is bringing shame to our pretty, pretty sisterhood? We must act! D:

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My opinion of the Greek system was pretty much solidified when I saw some frat kid running down the street wearing armor made of Mt. Dew boxes, and nothing else.

Seriously, there are better structures for clubs to have.

Don't knock the beverage box armor!

HPIM0438.jpg

In case you're wondering, this was at a local anime convention. They caused spontaneous shouts of "SPARTA!" all three days. :lol:

Apparently, I'm in a fraternity (Pi Mu Epsilon). Towards the end of my junior year, my grades were good enough to get me into a honorary Greek fraternity for math and computer science majors. Basically, the dean came up to me and said "You're in this frat. Congratulations." Then he walked away before I could say, "But... But... I have boobies..."

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Those are Roman, not Greek.

Fencingsax on
  • TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I know that, but a lot of con attendees were teenagers that hadn't taken World History yet. Or just didn't pay attention. :P

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I was in a fraternity. Now that I'm older it seems kind of dumb and I likely got less college work done but at the time it was fun. I think the level of greek ass-holishness is completely dependent on the school. UGA/GT we were fine. Alabama ~ expect to get your teeth kicked in for spilling a coke on their grass.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    NYT wrote:
    When a psychology professor at DePauw University here surveyed students, they described one sorority as a group of ''daddy's little princesses'' and another as ''offbeat hippies.'' The sisters of Delta Zeta were seen as ''socially awkward.'' Worried that a negative stereotype of the sorority was contributing to a decline ...
    That was the motivation, in case anyone didn't remember, or happen to click through the link on that blog. The national leadership got wind of that survey and thought what? DePauw University is bringing shame to our pretty, pretty sisterhood? We must act! D:
    Yeah, that's what happened - though that is a terrible quote to use to back that up. They're talking about three different groups there.

In fact, the quote reflects well on sororities because, to me, it's saying that not every group was the same.

EDIT: nevermind, the "socially awkward" group was the one that was purged . . . the other two groups referred to are pretty much diametrically opposed though.

Anyway, no fraternities where I come from. The closest you'd find would be student groups, usually revolving around a specific department, faculty or program graduating class - History Society, Engineering, Business, etc. Most people lived off campus anyways, so I don't really know what they got up to in residences, but they seemed to organise themselves by house.

Andrew_Jay on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Now I don't really know anything about frats but I've seen alot of teen movies.

If you thought a thread about frats would get a good reaction on a computer game forum you must be a little bit crazy. BECAUSE THEY ARE OUR SWORN ENEMIES!!! THEY HAVE TAKEN SO MUCH FROM US, WE WILL NOT LET THEM TAKE HALO!!!

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've never understood the hazing part of it .... "come be our friends (now that you've applied and payed), now go eat some roadkill or bong 40 beers till you puke or run naked across the mall. after all .... we're your friends now and we order you to."

ehh I've seen some stupid shit done in the name of joining up .... seems like good friends wouldn't make you do that crap

Xaquin on
    edited June 2007
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I've never understood the hazing part of it .... "come be our friends (now that you've applied and payed), now go eat some roadkill or bong 40 beers till you puke or run naked across the mall. after all .... we're your friends now and we order you to."

ehh I've seen some stupid shit done in the name of joining up .... seems like good friends wouldn't make you do that crap

like how the military breaks you down and then builds you back up as ultimate comrades. the fellows you go through the pain with are always your closest friends. the guys who tortured you are eventually warmed up to because the torturees become the torturers. the donut of life continues.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Not all frats haze you like that.

The ones around my campus required pledges to be responsible for events, big or small, whether it was a BBQ on the quarter-mile or giving out hot chocolate on the quarter-mile during a cold winter day. Sometimes they used to set up ghetto-pools and set up a projector and a make-shift theater with chairs and people could stop by, sit down, and watch movies.

That seems like a nice introduction to the campus to new people.

tyrannus on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sonos wrote: »

like how the military breaks you down and then builds you back up as ultimate comrades. the fellows you go through the pain with are always your closest friends. the guys who tortured you are eventually warmed up to because the torturees become the torturers. the donut of life continues.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Also, a compelling reason to do away with frats.

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2007

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Also, a compelling reason to do away with frats.

none of us were trying to come up with the cure to cancer. just trying to have a good time. or particular rules were you couldn't touch a guy and you couldnt force him to drink alcohol he didn't want to. instead it was lots of yelling, eating bad stuff and having to clean other people's things a lot. with those two rules in place you are generally pretty safe.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Alpha Epsilon Pi, Mu Delta Chapter (was Colony when I joined, and I had the privelege of being one of the chartering brothers), Beta Pledge Class, Brother number 17.

Former Sargeant-At-Arms, Former three-term Pledgemaster.

One of the things that attracted me to AEPi (aside from the fact that it's the best Jewish Social fraternity out there) was the no hazing policy. It is the firm belief of AEPi that hazing does not develop any positive traits in the brother being hazed, nor in the brother doing the hazing. As Pledgemaster, I made sure, during all three of my terms, that absolutely no hazing went on, and as I was the Pledgemaster for the Gamma, Delta AND Epsilon classes, I helped to make sure that the standard was set early on in our history.

I also never intended to "go greek",having made fun of the greek "mentality" for much of my youth, but when I realized that most of my friends from the Hillel were AEPi, andthey went off and did things that I couldn't share in, I decided that joining up could only enhance my college experience.

I can't say that I loved every man in my chapter, but there are some very close friends that I have made, that I might not have come to know otherwise.

And as for the crticism that greek is just paying for friends, what you are paying for is an infrastructure, and it is no different than paying for membership in a golf course, rather than buildingyour own course, or paying for internet service, rather than laying your own wires. Joining Alpha Epsilon Pi has opened up, for me, a world of connections within the Jewish community, and given me friendships that I will truely carry for a lifetime.

Also, the nickname "Wookiee". Yeah, they named me after an entire species. Like I said, we were a young colony at the time, and they just didn't know better.

Evander on
    edited June 2007

What about anti-hazing fraternities?

You should know better to lump EVERYONE together.

Evander on
    edited June 2007
    Evander wrote: »

Well, we were talking about hazing specifically. So I guess it's a compelling reason to do away with hazing frats.

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2007
    Also, the nickname "Wookiee". Yeah, they named me after an entire species. Like I said, we were a young colony at the time, and they just didn't know better.

We had a Wookie as well. He was about 18 feet tall and had hair coming from every square inch of his skin. He owned a bronco we named the Melinnium Balcom (his last name was Balcom). I think every frat has to have at least one wookie to exist.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    edited June 2007
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Now I don't really know anything about frats but I've seen alot of teen movies.
    Now I don't really know anything about women but I've seen alot of porn.

Evander on
    edited June 2007

Well, we were talking about hazing specifically. So I guess it's a compelling reason to do away with hazing frats.

I am strongly in favor of forcing hazing fraternities to either change their ways, or go away.

I don't blame thegreek system for hazing, though. I blame those individual fraternities which promote such abuse.

Evander on
    edited June 2007

Or find a better frat that doesn't get up its own ass with ludicrous hazing and is just generally more about encouraging social interaction. It's not that hard. There's a lot of them.

tyrannus on
    edited June 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    vrst wrote: »
    By the way, it's my stern belief that the less you party and fuck around at college, the bigger you mid-life crisis will be.
    Unless you have some sort of data to back this seeming bullshit, it will remain just that: bullshit.
    I can't figure out how people who don't go to college figure into that idea. Oh well, I guess they don't count.

Yeah, because it is ONLY possible to party at college. It is actually ILLEGAL to enjoy your youth unless you are in the process of earning a degree.

Evander on
    edited June 2007

At my school, sororities are forced to make all new rushes into a pool, and then pick evenly from it, rather than letting girls rush a particular sorority.

The word that comes to mind when I think sorority is "petty".

That aside, there are definitely some girls in there who are both cute and intelligent, and having a chance to have a few beers, and then have a deep conversation with a pretty girl, while at a social, is great, and not all that guranteed if you're only hanging out with your gaming buddies.

Evander on
    edited June 2007
    By the way, it's my stern belief that the less you party and fuck around at college, the bigger you mid-life crisis will be.
    Unless you have some sort of data to back this seeming bullshit, it will remain just that: bullshit.
    I can't figure out how people who don't go to college figure into that idea. Oh well, I guess they don't count.

Yeah, because it is ONLY possible to party at college. It is actually ILLEGAL to enjoy your youth unless you are in the process of earning a degree.

should i have put sarcasm tags on that, or have you not found the split thread yet?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    Or find a better frat that doesn't get up its own ass with ludicrous hazing and is just generally more about encouraging social interaction. It's not that hard. There's a lot of them.

I don't know why people who are often very much against stereotyping (like stereotyping of what gamers are like) are so bigotted when it comes to fraternities, declaring the greek system to be evil, and any nice fraternitires to be "exceptions to the rule".

Actually, gamers are a perfect example. Tothe outside world, gamers are pasty white men (only men) whohave absolutely zero social skills, or ability to dress in anything that isn't hideous (their clothes don't matter, because it's not like any women would be attracted to them ANYWAY,) who only care about their high scores. If you told the general public that the latest trend in gamers was to get collostomy bags, so that they didn't have to get up from their games to use the bathroom, they might have to think about it a moment, but they would probably accept the idea.

Don't believe me? Look at the WoW episode of South Park, or basically any mainstream media representation of a gamer ever.

Now, we on this forum know this stereotype to be (mostly) untrue,at least for console gamers. ;)

It stands to reason that if this is untrue, then maybe the other stereotypes you see in the movies are untrue, and you should give people a chance, before just judging them because of the type of organization they belong to.

Evander on
    edited June 2007

should i have put sarcasm tags on that, or have you not found the split thread yet?

The latter.

Evander on
    edited June 2007

I am strongly in favor of forcing hazing fraternities to either change their ways, or go away.

I don't blame thegreek system for hazing, though. I blame those individual fraternities which promote such abuse.

if they dont hurt anyone and people willing join knowing there is hazing then its none of anyone else's fucking business. your frat has a national anti-hazing policy but I know that AEP at my school hazed the shit out of their pledges. Same deal with ours. It's harmless fun.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Tigress wrote: »

I know that, but a lot of con attendees were teenagers that hadn't taken World History yet. Or just didn't pay attention. :P
    Or didn't care.
    I sure don't.

Picardathon on
    edited June 2007

if they dont hurt anyone and people willing join knowing there is hazing then its none of anyone else's fucking business. your frat has a national anti-hazing policy but I know that AEP at my school hazed the shit out of their pledges. Same deal with ours. It's harmless fun.
    After reading the comments in that post I linked, I'm inclined to think not. Stripping sorority pledges to their underwear and highlighting the 'problem' areas on their bodies? Cigarette burns on the males? And the roadkill thing mentioned earlier? Sure, harmless fun. If you're a fucking psychopath.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Sounds like child moestation!

nexuscrawler on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

yay fun!

lets "haze the shit" out of our new friends! after all, they're our friends.

Xaquin on
    edited June 2007

Well, those pledges should have contacted national.

The toll free number to report hazing, or anything else, is 1-800-BAD-AEPI

The technical definition of hazing, though, is forcing some one to do something that they don't want to do. If the pledges agree to go along with it, then it is not really hazing. Also, often, requirements dictatethat the brothers must participate in the same activity along with the pledges.

My chapter DID have trust events, but if a pledge made clear that he was uncomfortable participating in the event, and alternate event was designed for him. We've had pledges who don't drink, a muslim pledge, etc., and we've reorganized our events as we've had to in order to be inclusive.

Evander on
    edited June 2007

After reading the comments in that post I linked, I'm inclined to think not. Stripping sorority pledges to their underwear and highlighting the 'problem' areas on their bodies? Cigarette burns on the males? And the roadkill thing mentioned earlier? Sure, harmless fun. If you're a fucking psychopath.

hurr because all frats encourage self-mutilation

tyrannus on