As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel bribes comic book stores to destroy DC comics (literally)

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Graphic Violence
So, what the fuck?
This week it came out that Marvel Comics is offering retailers a variant cover of “Fear Itself #6″ by artist Ed McGuinness. But, there is a catch: To get the coveted cover, retailers have to rip the covers from 50 copies of any No. 1 issue of DC Comics Flashpoint tie-ins. This is not a figure of speech, they literally have to tear the covers off and send them to Marvel to get the special edition, rendering the issues unsalable.

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/08/the-great-marvel-comics-rip-off/

I mean, competition is good and all, but this is pretty fucking ludicrous.

In case you're wondering, here's the variant cover Marvel wants retailers to destroy stuff for:

201107260909.jpg

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    This has been done before

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    This is not new and also not a big deal

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    Also could have been reposted in the news thread, instead of a seperate thread.

ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote:
    This is not new and also not a big deal

Man, and I thought I was cynical when it came to comics. Oh well.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Those turn ins that marvel are asking for, if they haven't sold by now chances are they arent going to sell. This sort of thing is actually fairly retailer friendly.

They have done the same thing with previous DC event tie ins and even their own comics, so again, it's not a big deal.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    This is the third year running of this.

Marvel's even done it with their unsold books.

Get rid of unsold books that may well never sell and get a variant in return that has a much higher chance of selling.

Yeah, not seeing the problem here.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Seriously, I don't think people realize that, back when comics were in newsstands and grocery stores, retailers would tear the covers off unsold stock, and mail them back to publishers for a credit or refund of some kind.

It's not like Marvel invented the idea of ripping covers off comics, in exchange for stuff.

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    And book dealers still do it, surely?

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Literally bribing them

Literally

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    The Marvel Mafia is an old crime family in center of the world New York.

xY1dz.jpg
    Here is their Don in his natural environment. Surely he is up to no good.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    The only objectionable part is how stupid that cover looks. I know variant covers get all their value from rarity rather than the quality of their art, but there should at least be some pretense that the alternate art is somehow more valuable than the normal cover.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Macro9 wrote:
    xY1dz.jpg
    Here is there Don in his natural environment. Surely he is up to no good.

I'm gonna make him a cover he can't refuse

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Well Marvel and DC are business rivals so

It makes sense that they would try to beat each other

It's a shame that the creative medium is dominated by those two groups and in some ways that rivalry, but there it is

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    creativity isn't free

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    How I feel about this depends on the advantage (if any) Marvel has over DC.

If Marvel was doing this to indie publishers, using their market share to squash the little companies, I would be throwing a fit. DC, however, is a pretty big company backed by Time Warner. Without looking at the numbers, this seems to be a legitimate business tactic, since there's a possibility that it could fail and/or backfire depending on the state of the market. I mean, retailers are being asked to destroy their own stock to get a stupid-looking cover, at a 50:1 exchange rate.

I would be interested in the opinion of someone with a business degree or experience in the comic book industry.

• Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    It sounds bad that they're asking for destroyed DC books, but really, the only real effect it has is as a PR move. It's Marvel saying: Look how fair and nice we are to retailers, while those dudes just keep selling you a bunch of unsellable pamphlets.

• Options
    the stock they are destroying is stock none of these retailers want anymore

there seems to be a serious disconnect here for some people as to what the point of this is. Those issues that Marvel is offering to take in exchange for the variant are issues that retailers no longer want

These are not brand new books that they are ripping out of customers hands, these are books they would be lucky to sell

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]