As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Primary 2012: An austere OP for an austere era

• s7apsters7apster Registered User regular
    The economy is like an engine? Ohhh....oh okay. I think I get it now.

Fuel in the engine! Cain 2012!

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Pawlenty: With great blessings come great responsibility. God made America like Spider Man.

Huntsman: Cancer, bankruptcy, fear, misery, failure. It's morning in America.

Lawndart on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Pawlenty is leading a 30 second prayer....

Bachmann wants to become President in order to end Obama's Presidency.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Fuck yeah, Spider-Man

If he actually just said "this country should be like motherfucking Spider-Man" I would totally vote for him, no joke

He has to pronounce the hyphen, though

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote:
    OptimusZed wrote:

Edit: Or hell, Nixon.

Nixon was an evil son of a bitch, but I'd vote for Zombie Nixon in a second. Sad as it is to say, the paranoid freak was the last great president we had. And, at least, the man knew when to get out of a losing war.

Nixon is quick to be pointed out as evil--and not without reason--as well as corrupt (he ended the Vietnam war, but until that, he carried out the US policy of "Bomb the shit out of the country and everyone in it."). It's probably just me, though, but I'm always surprised how, even among left-leaning circles, Reagan often gets a free pass, despite doing some truly Nixon-level horrible evil shit: for example, giving a pass to, publicly befriending, and even in some areas assisting a Guatamalan mass murderer because, hey, he happens to be an Evangelical and a School of Americas guy, so he must be okay, right?

I'm reluctant to actually call out anyone as being evil, but among people who are still alive, Rios Montt is one of the few I'd acknowledge is Hollywood movie evil. But no ones heard of him, so Reagan gets a pass, apparently.

Iran-Contra/North was a fairly corrupt bargain as well--though I guess it's difficult to compare to Watergate/Nixon's strongarm tactics in general. Though, in Nixon's defense (*shudder*), one of these things killed a lot more innocent children and nuns than the other.
    I thought it went without saying that Reagan was an evil dickhole.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • CantelopeCantelope Registered User regular
    Repeal sarbonese Oxley... I can't believe he said that with a straight face.

Cantelope wrote:
    Or even knew what it was.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    Tim Pawlenty is like Peter Parker, if Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive complete lack of charisma.

• jbraggjbragg Registered User regular
    Cantelope wrote:

He's just saying, "Things where all going well when we had Enron and Worldcom. Why was that bad?"

"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." - Good Omens"
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    Fox news analyst: "The loser of tonight's debate was the Republican party."

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Crap, I forgot to watch the debate. Is it over, and if so, is there a place I can still watch it?

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    Fox is reshowing it in an hour.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Fox news analyst: "The loser of tonight's debate was the Republican party."

Like I said. They really want Perry.

GOP Primary debates are basically just opportunities for all the candidates to come together, hate on Obama and take turns beating their general election chances into the ground.

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Dashui wrote:
    Crap, I forgot to watch the debate. Is it over, and if so, is there a place I can still watch it?

I believe you can watch like, all of the last 15 or so hours of programming on http://live.foxnews.com/

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    That was a great debate if taken in the context that all these candidates are still terrible. The moderators actually asked tough questions, there were fights between the candidates (and the moderators), and they all brought the appropriate amount of crazy.

• s7apsters7apster Registered User regular
    The guy sitting next to that woman on this talking heads fox analysis show looks...just so sad and defeated every time she opens her mouth.

fortis wrote:
    That was a great debate if taken in the context that all these candidates are still terrible. The moderators actually asked tough questions, there were fights between the candidates (and the moderators), and they all brought the appropriate amount of crazy.

At times, I swore they had, "If wish to pick fight between Santorum and Paul, ask this question...." on their blue cards

"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." - Good Omens"
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    How was the question to Bachmann's being 'submissive' to her husband a good question?

I mean, I get that it's attacking some of the right wing stuff, but it was a poorly worded question.

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    @AnnieLowrey: And the Donna Summer song that Herman Cain quoted is from Pokemon: The Movie 2000. #notkidding”

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    How was the question to Bachmann's being 'submissive' to her husband a good question?

I mean, I get that it's attacking some of the right wing stuff, but it was a poorly worded question.

I think fair is fair. If you campaign on being a religious nutjob, and a big part of that is being submissive to your husband (and general female inferiority), shouldn't the husband be the one running as he's the one that would ultimately be running the show?

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

I missed that, but I'm guessing it was a reference to her saying before that she became a tax lawyer because her husband asked her to and wives need to submit to their husbands. I don't remember the details because it's a pretty insane story but if the word submissive or submit was thrown around that's probably why.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, they are lowering expectations like a mofo.

I liked how much the crowd hated a submissive Bachmann.

TehSloth wrote:

I missed that, but I'm guessing it was a reference to her saying before that she became a tax lawyer because her husband asked her to and wives need to submit to their husbands. I don't remember the details because it's a pretty insane story but if the word submissive or submit was thrown around that's probably why.

That's what it was based on. The question itself was more or less on the lines of "If you were President of the United States, would you be submissive to your husband?"

I get the point behind asking it. I get the whole religious nutjob thing and everything, but the way the question was worded just seemed.

I dunno, it was a bit.... eh. It struck a wrong chord with me.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Going by any actual definition of the word submissive I don't want really any member of government being always submissive to, well, anyone really that isn't actually their boss.

But Bachman apparently believes submissive means respects.

They actually mention storylines in this analysis. I find that word interesting.

edited August 2011

It was meant to. When she said "Women should be submissive to their husbands because the bible said so," she points out the wee bit of bias in the ole good book.

We live in the modern world. Women are just as capable in anything as men. The question was meant to ask her to explain how she can say or believe one thing and then still be on that stage. The question, as did many in that debate, openly proposed that the candidate was a hypocrite. And to go back to what Fencingsax said, man, do they really want Perry.

jbragg on
    Quid wrote:

Which, of course, it doesn't.

Is.

Is a hypocrite.

TehSloth wrote:

That's what it was based on. The question itself was more or less on the lines of "If you were President of the United States, would you be submissive to your husband?"

I get the point behind asking it. I get the whole religious nutjob thing and everything, but the way the question was worded just seemed.

Eh guess I didn't miss anything good, I stepped away from the interwebs to prepare myself for an evening of debauchery.

Overall it was much more interesting of a debate than I thought it'd be, I don't really think it'll impact the straw poll (I'm mostly waiting to see if there's a large number of write-ins for Rick Parry, with an A as in America!)

twitch.tv/tehsloth
    Quid wrote:
    Is.

Is a hypocrite.

Fair enough.

TehSloth wrote:
    Eh guess I didn't miss anything good, I stepped away from the interwebs to prepare myself for an evening of debauchery.

Nah, not much. Fight between Pawlenty and Bachmann, fight between Santorum and Paul. Romney deflecting. Huntsman trying to pose sane answers which made him sound all the worse. Cain, "I'm a businessman and I got jokes" and Angry Gingritch. Oh and some fights between the candidates and the moderators...it was almost as if they were expecting softball questions or something....

jbragg wrote:
    Quid wrote:

Which, of course, it doesn't.

Listen we could discuss this all day but I have to take the person who respects me a whole lot to the S&M club. So they can be respectful to me in front of lots of people.

yeah, to be honest the questions were all a bit more pointed than i was expecting.

and a lot more pointed than i think the candidates were expecting.

Hunstman won points with me on his NCLB answer and I vaguely remember his civil unions answer not sucking too badly.

Cain won some minor points with 'america needs to know how to take a joke' line, which granted had me chuckle a bit.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Quotes from Sullivan's live blog that amused me:
    I'd do a shot for every policy proposal, but I doubt I'd get a buzz on.

(one of his readers):
    I think I just heard Santorum say Iran "tramples the rights of gays", and even made it sound like a bad thing ... reading the Sierra Nevada label now to see if hallucinations are a possible side effect.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    This link was in my email from 3 hours ago.

http://www.barackobama.com/gopdebatewatch?source=20110811_jm_ct&utm_medium=email&utm_source=obama&utm_campaign=20110811_jm_ct

I think it's the first email I've gotten from the official Obama '12 campaign. Pretty funny it's "hey check out these nutters tonight".

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    jbragg wrote:

It was meant to. When she said "Women should be submissive to their husbands because the bible said so," she points out the wee bit of bias in the ole good book.

We live in the modern world. Women are just as capable in anything as men. The question was meant to ask her to explain how she can say or believe one thing and then still be on that stage. The question, as did many in that debate, openly proposed that the candidate was a hypocrite. And to go back to what Fencingsax said, man, do they really want Perry.

That, or the question was intended to answer if a vote for her for President was actually a vote for her husband. If her husband told her to veto a bill that she liked, would she do it?

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    I vaguely remember his civil unions answer not sucking too badly.

It's because he was the only candidate that said something even to the extent of "Hey, gay folks have rights too..."

And enlightenedbum, that Sierra Nevada line cracked me up. Sullivan and his "Dish" continue to be one of my favorite websites.

edited August 2011
    jbragg wrote:

It's because he was the only candidate that said something even to the extent of "Hey, gay folks have rights too..."

To be fair, Rick Santorum said that gay folks have rights.

Just only in Iran.

Lawndart on
    Lawndart wrote:
    jbragg wrote:

To be fair, Rick Santorum said that gay folks have rights.

Just only in Iran.

that was really one of the weirder moments.

This discussion has been closed.