As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - Matchmaking that actually works?

IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Games and Technology

Images!
Terrorist with a bomb?
csgo_aztec_action01_01.jpg

Old and new
UmLEZ.jpg

The new store:
E2OAk.png

- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO) will expand upon the team-based action gameplay that it pioneered when it was launched 12 years ago.
- CS: GO features new maps, characters, and weapons and delivers updated versions of the classic CS content (de_dust, etc.). In addition, CS: GO will introduce new gameplay modes, matchmaking, leader boards, and more.

Icemopper on

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Ooh, new Counter-Strike content. About bloody time.

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I never understood why they didn't milk this franchise harder. It was arguably the biggest multiplayer shooter of all time when the first Counter-Strike came out and even though it was a mod it got a lot of mods on its own. Since it went retail, they then released a half-assed expansion and a graphical update (source).

I was expecting a lot more

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    I seem to be the only person that grew up on Rainbow Six and looked at Counter-strike as a shoddy mod that could never be as good.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Shogun wrote:
    I seem to be the only person that grew up on Rainbow Six and looked at Counter-strike as a shoddy mod that could never be as good.

If CS was the shoddy mod, then what does that make America's Army? :D

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Betting hats that it's free-to-play.

forumsig.png
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Sadly, Darleysam, I don't doubt it. Not one bit.

As someone who has wasted so much of his life on this game since '99, seeing it get a face lift would be nice. There is certainly a part of me that thinks "If it aint broke...", but none the less, I'm excited to see where they take it.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Casual mode?

In Counter-Strike?

Ahahahahahahaha.

Echo wrote:
    Casual mode?

In Counter-Strike?

Ahahahahahahaha.

Well, they've already got a team deathmatch mod for CS, might as well make it official.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I bet this is a way to make Counter-Strike compete with Modern Warfare / Call of Duty, but that's just my guess.

• lizardlooplizardloop Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who feels that CS Source was a pale imitation of CS 1.6 (and no doubt some out there think 1.6 was a pale of imitation of 1.3) and that I'd much rather they work on making CS Source closer to the original mod? It just feels different somehow. More arcadey.

edited August 2011
    Source is superior to 1.6 in every way that matters.

Also, buying bullets is the dumbest shit ever. If you're going to force the player to buy bullets, at least give them a choice on bullets, like armor piercing, incendiary, dark matter, etc.

reVerse on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Shogun wrote:

This has always been my exact opinion on Counter Strike, even though I didn't play a ton of R6 or CS online. Although that had more to do with my shitty rural dial-up connection than anything else.

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind dark-matter slugs for my shotgun

t5qfc9.jpg
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I wonder how far they'll go with visual customization, assuming they continue loving hats.

As long as I can have an Elite Crew dude without needing rare/expensive items I'm good.

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Counter-Hat simulator is a go!

Somehow I don't think giant neon hats are going to be as big of a draw in this game as they are in TF2.

I'm going to buy my dude golden armor.

"I am C-TP0, police-terrorist relations."

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    @Decoy It could use some new weapons.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Decoy wrote:
    Sadly, Darleysam, I don't doubt it. Not one bit.

As someone who has wasted so much of his life on this game since '99, seeing it get a face lift would be nice. There is certainly a part of me that thinks "If it aint broke...", but none the less, I'm excited to see where they take it.

It's not necessarily a negative, just depends how they choose to run it. Maybe Casual will be free, Competitive you have to pay for?

forumsig.png
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote:
    Source is superior to 1.6 in every way that matters.

Also, buying bullets is the dumbest shit ever. If you're going to force the player to buy bullets, at least give them a choice on bullets, like armor piercing, incendiary, dark matter, etc.

As far as I know, bullets are free. Armor is too, but they'll probably change that because adding armor but making it free makes no sense.

• NormanPrideNormanPride Registered User regular
    I haven't played this in years, but I remember a lot of great times back in 2000-2003 when it was still just a mod. I think when it went to Source it lost something.

That and I sucked at it. Oh well!

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    We where discussing it the other day and it's really odd for them to do without a new engine. Source is how old now? To be fair the updated source still looks good, but combined with the noted stubbornness of CS players that seem to hate change, it just seems odd. Hell half my friends refuse to play past, I think, 1.6. I gifted one of them source during some sale and got him to play with me which changed his mind on Source, but that leads me to believe he never even tried it and was just content with 1.6.

That said hopefully it's cool. I personally don't have ties to any version. It's mostly just a lan party game for me so if the new one brings more of that I'll accept it.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Man, I haven't played CS in forever.

Do those filthy cock mongers still run around AWPing, thinking they're hot shit?

...assholes...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    We where discussing it the other day and it's really odd for them to do without a new engine. Source is how old now? To be fair the updated source still looks good, but combined with the noted stubbornness of CS players that seem to hate change, it just seems odd. Hell half my friends refuse to play past, I think, 1.6. I gifted one of them source during some sale and got him to play with me which changed his mind on Source, but that leads me to believe he never even tried it and was just content with 1.6.

That said hopefully it's cool. I personally don't have ties to any version. It's mostly just a lan party game for me so if the new one brings more of that I'll accept it.

I think it will appeal much more to the source crowd, since it is an updated version of the source engine. I do hope some 1.6 players come over though, both communities are very lively, but it would be nice to see more.

edited August 2011
    @Skull2185: Yes. Yes they do :?

Icemopper on
    edited August 2011
    The trick is to find a good no-AWP server and stick to it.

Such as UKCS Megaservers, fun for the whole family of 62 players! No AWPs, mostly no stupids!

Ahem.

reVerse on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    Zzulu wrote:
    I wouldn't mind dark-matter slugs for my shotgun
    Dark matter slugs? Slugs that only interact gravitationally, so that even if you were to fire them, they would pass harmlessly through your opponent, the wall behind him, and the rest of the solar system as they flew off into space?

This sounds like it is actually a new game and I really don't see why a new engine would be needed in any way. Call me crazy, but I don't even think Valve's recent games are particularly visibly Source. Meanwhile, there's something about the recently released indie game EYE that made me guess it was Source halfway through watching a trailer.

edited August 2011
    If I remember my press releases correctly, Source was built from the start to be modular so that they can easily add new fancy things to it without having to go through the trouble of making a whole new engine from scratch.

reVerse on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I agree with CS being a bad knockoff of Rainbow 6.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Man, I haven't played CS in forever.

Do those filthy cock mongers still run around AWPing, thinking they're hot shit?

...assholes...

I've never understood this attitude. If someone wants to save for 3 rounds, to buy a gun, kill 2 people and then die cause there terrible, thats there choice. Generally the OMFG screw you kind of awpers who will wipe out your team, could do nearly as well with any other gun.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    I hope I can still play against a horde of knife wielding bots in this. Sure, there's L4D for that kinda stuff now, but it's still pretty fun.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    Shogun wrote:

This has always been my exact opinion on Counter Strike, even though I didn't play a ton of R6 or CS online. Although that had more to do with my shitty rural dial-up connection than anything else.
    Blah, that's a silly comparison. It's like saying Battlefield 2 is a shoddy mod of ArmA. Counterstrike is a fast paced objective focused team shooter, Rainbow 6 is a realistic tactical squad shooter. They have different goals, different strengths and weaknesses, and different groups of people that they appeal to. You can enjoy both, neither, or one or the other, but Counterstrike isn't a shoddy Rainbow 6 mod any more than Rainbow 6 is a tedious, slow-paced Counterstrike ripoff. The only similarity between the two is that they have terrorists and guns.

• DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    Oh man... this thread has stirred up some memories. I'm excited to see an update to the game, it has been stagnant for some time now, but holy fuck was it a revolutionary game back in the day. Going from TFC to CS beta was jarring, to say the least. Pay for guns? No classes? What the fuck is this shit?

Memoooories :^:

y6GGs3o.gif
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Yeeeeeeeeah Rainbow Six has always seemed slower paced, more tactic driven. CS is definitely faster pace and meant to be something else.

• Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    I haven't played this in years, but I remember a lot of great times back in 2000-2003 when it was still just a mod. I think when it went to Source it lost something.

That and I sucked at it. Oh well!

Yeah, I kind of stopped CS sometime after it went to 1.3. Tried coming back for 1.6, but never went anywhere. Then tried Source and couldn't get the hang of how different things were. I used to be able to full-auto an AK and control for the recoil because I had a kind of muscle memory developed for it. Then the recoil model/algorithm/whatever was changed and I was lost. Cast off into a sea of oblivion.

Grenades were messed with, too, and that is something else I disliked greatly.

steam_sig.png
    I guess this is pretty much official
    Who is excited for some #CSGO news?!?!

• DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    Bookmarked so fucking hard!!

Can't wait for more information! CS Warehouse is still one of my favorite MP maps ever. So small, yet so awesome!

• lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-h3cIPabQs&feature=youtu.be

edit: Apprently it's just an edited version of the Counter-Strike Online trailer. Here is the original from 2008.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
    edited August 2011
    Mother of mercy a trailer: BEAT'D

Icemopper on
    That sure is Dust2 in that trailer.