As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Intermediate/Advanced C++

cSpoogecSpooge Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Can someone suggest me some good resources to learn intermediate/advanced c++. I know most of the basic stuff but I would like to get better with it seeing as most of the coding I will be doing next year for school will be C++.

Also, does anyone know where I can find some good doc on the security libraries for c++? I'm starting my security concentration this year so I will probably be working with openSSL and libcrypto, but the doc I have found isn't the greatest out there..

cSpooge on

• Bob SappBob Sapp Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What have you learned? It's tough to say what's intermediate/advanced.

Some random topics to google:

Streams
    Exception Handling
    friend keyword
    templated functions
    templated classes
    inheritence
    STL data types

Here's a reference site that you might find helpful: http://www.cppreference.com/index.html

Edit: Also: http://www.cplusplus.com/ (this has tutorials)

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg
  • FristleFristle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    cSpooge wrote: »
    Also, does anyone know where I can find some good doc on the security libraries for c++? I'm starting my security concentration this year so I will probably be working with openSSL and libcrypto, but the doc I have found isn't the greatest out there..

You can find libraries of cryptographic routines (Crypto++), but "security" doesn't come in a library. It's more about how you write your code. Secure Coding in C++ is a good book on the topic of designing C++ code for security. There's a fuckton of similar books.

Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg
  • dsplaisteddsplaisted Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Effective C++ is probably a must-read.

dsplaisted on
    2850-1.png
  • cSpoogecSpooge Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fristle wrote: »
    cSpooge wrote: »

You can find libraries of cryptographic routines (Crypto++), but "security" doesn't come in a library. It's more about how you write your code. Secure Coding in C++ is a good book on the topic of designing C++ code for security. There's a fuckton of similar books.

oh I understand that. I've seen "secure" stuff shot to shit because of the crappy coding practices done. I was more thinking along the lines on the libraries etc, like you mentions.

cSpooge on