As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Official PAX Prime 2011 Mobile App!

SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in PAX Archive
Official PAX app is now live!!

If you access this page with a supported mobile device, it will automatically take you to the application download.

The app is available for iOS, Android & BlackBerry phones :D

Note: If you find any errors of bugs, please post them in this thread. Thank you. The appropriate parties will be checking this thread.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
SmallLady on

• Options
    TherosTheros Registered User regular
    First thing's first - four events listed for Monday, August 29th.

In order,

PA Media Q and A @ 9 AM in Raven
    Testers vs The Game, Round 2 @ 10:30am in Unicorn
    Penny Arcade - The Series: Season 2 @ 1PM in Kraken
    GameTrailers.com Presents: Bonus Round LIVE! @ 1:30pm in Unicorn

• Options
    JediFreemanJediFreeman Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    forums ate my first reply... gah.

EDIT 2: I realize when I remade this post I did not post my device info: Asus Transformer running Honeycomb 3.2 :END EDIT 2

1: Most screens in app force my tablet into portrait mode (main screen, all listing and details screens). About page and the maps themselves switch back to landscape mode.

2: Maps have a flickering that happens that makes them completely unusable. See this image for what it looks like (just one snap of the flickering) http://i.imgur.com/pmOUX.jpg

3: No pinch-zoom on the maps. Not sure if this has something to do with the flickering issue.

4: My adventures when clicking "Scan" button:

- When I clicked "scan" it took me to black screen and popped up with message telling me I needed to install "Barcode Scanner" and asking me if I would like to install it.

- I clicked "No". The app then remained at this black screen until I hit "back" to go to main screen of app.

- I clicked "Scan" again and this time, clicked "Yes" at the prompt

- I followed the Android Market steps to install "Barcode Scanner". After the installation was complete, I manually switched back to the PAX App and was again presented with the black screen. I hit "back" to go to main screen of app.

- I clicked "Scan" again and it launched the Barcode Scanner app. I then hit "back" from Barcode Scanner and was taken to the black screen once again. Again, I had to hit "back" to go to main screen of app.

(I bring up the black screen issue because at first I did not know if it was doing something or just waiting for me to hit a button somewhere)

EDIT:

I had sent an email to the support email located in the about page within the app before I made this post, and only had the first two items listed on there. Here is their response:
    Thank you for your support request regarding the official PAX app. The highest supported Android OS is currently 2.2, so no, the PAX app for this year doesn't support honeycomb.

You can definitely make use of the attendee web portal. http://crwd.cc/PAX2011 on your tablet to review the schedule, organizations, and corresponding maps of the event.

Downloading on a native device requires android 2.1 or 2.2, Iphone, Ipod touch, or BlackBerry device.

Sad :(

JediFreeman on
    PAX Enforcer - Lieutenant
  • Options
    ChichenChichen Registered User regular
    yah. While the app may look nice it's got some issues. I'll stick with Guidebook for now.

• Options
    normanjlinormanjli Registered User regular
    I am not having any of the issues you are having Jedi, however I think some of the events are missing.
    I am on IOS by the way, not sure if it matters but just there to help.

• Options
    SilvertwinnSilvertwinn Going on 40. "Get off my lawn!"Registered User regular
    normanjli wrote:
    I am not having any of the issues you are having Jedi, however I think some of the events are missing.
    I am on IOS by the way, not sure if it matters but just there to help.

I'm using the iOS, too. No issues, but the schedule is a bit off. There's two Dorkness Rising/JourneyQuest panels (the only one is supposed to be on Saturday morning), one on Saturday morning and one on Sunday morning. :S

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    This looks terrible on the iPad. It only seems to be for iPhone size. Ew.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    Feel free to be as honest as you feel necessary on the app guys - i have no personal stake in it other than wanting data to make good decisions in the future, so you will not hurt my feelings, i promise.

Some guy.
  • Options
    ChichenChichen Registered User regular
    Feel free to be as honest as you feel necessary on the app guys - i have no personal stake in it other than wanting data to make good decisions in the future, so you will not hurt my feelings, i promise.

I suggest looking at the guidebook app then comparing it to this app. Add in things from there where making my own schedule would be possible and adding a todo list and other things like that. Then it would just be way better. Also don't just put the time the event starts also put when it ends on the schedule list.

• Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    Other than the schedule being off, the only thing I'd really comment on is I'd love to have the ability to add my own events to my calendar. Otherwise just switching to having it add my favorited events to my existing calendar. Also, I may be having a blonde moment, but what's the point of the profile section?

• Options
    Sgt SupermanSgt Superman Registered User regular
    I have a HTC Aria and every time I try to open the schedule or Exhibitors it says the application has stopped expectantly and force closes.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    I've been using this on my Droid and I haven't had any real issues with it. Then again I've only really looked at the maps on it, which are working fine, haven't looked at the schedule on it because I've already overlooked the grid about a thousand times for my team. :P

Anyway, the PAX Assistant app should be getting updated soon, or so it's creator told me recently. I'll likely end up using that, but I'll keep this handy too and prepare some feedback.

NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    Maga PowerMaga Power Registered User regular
    its not really loading at all on my android phone.
    it gets to a screen where it says "please wait. information pertaining to your locale needs to be downloaded. this may take several minutes depending on your network connection's speed." from there, it will ether stay at 0%, jump up to 39% instantly and no do anything, or jump up to 70something% and not do anything.
    the one time it has gone past, I went into maps, and they partially loaded, but were really kinda too slow to be useful. (though I'm not sure if thats a app issue or a my phone sucks issue, because my phone isn't really that amazing anyways)

• Options
    KrylezKrylez Registered User new member
    Maybe check out my Android app if you're having problems with the official one.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rileybrewer.android.apps.paxmapapp

• Options
    G4MERG4MER Registered User regular
    Downloading now, will check it out and see how it works, and report back any issues or problems I have... or any praise and kudos.

g4mer_paxsig.png
  • Options
    superjoesuperjoe Registered User regular
    When I favorite events and view them in the Your Schedule View list, any event that goes past midnight into the next day (concerts, Fallout film screening) ends up flipped, having the bar span over the time the event is NOT ongoing.

Example: the Friday night concerts are scheduled from 8:30pm on Friday until 1:30am on Saturday. They're graphed out as lasting from 1:30a-8:30p on Friday.

Same deal with the Fallout: Nuka Break screening; scheduled from 10p Fri-12p Sat, graphed as 12a Fri-10p Fri.

IlOZ6.png
  • Options
    CloudwalkerCloudwalker Registered User regular
    The three events that start after 4pm on Sunday are missing from the schedule (on the iPhone version, anyway.)

Still, seems like a decent app. I've been poring over the maps intently.

Token Scottish guy.

Google+ | Twitter
  • Options
    spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    I'll stick with Guidebook. I've been very happy with it.

cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I like the favorites idea but could you expand on it a bit and put in their booth number not just a link to their website?

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    peterhuzzajpspeterhuzzajps Registered User regular
    I have a DroidX with 2.3.3 and it works just fine! looks nice. just not sure all of the events are there though..

• Options
    MaxSteeleMaxSteele Registered User regular
    HTC Hero - the app crashes every time I click on "Exhibitors" and "Schedule". Every single time. I haven't tried it on my ipad yet, but it sounds like it'll work there.

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    I got it to start yesterday, but couldn't get the maps to load. Today I started it and it crashed. I started it again and it hung at 10% for 5 minutes. Now that it's running, it won't load maps at all (again) and the UI looks like a 12 year old designed it in Paint. So much blue, my eyes are burning. I will definitely not be using this app during PAX.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    No love for WP7 guys? I know we're a minority, but that hurts! The wife owns an iphone I'll see if she wants to test it.

Edit, on second though....

tsrblke on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    I got it to start yesterday, but couldn't get the maps to load. Today I started it and it crashed. I started it again and it hung at 10% for 5 minutes. Now that it's running, it won't load maps at all (again) and the UI looks like a 12 year old designed it in Paint. So much blue, my eyes are burning. I will definitely not be using this app during PAX.
    Yeah ill stick with conventionist/guidebook once they update their prime 2011 guide with maps and whatnot.

This runs like hell on my 3GS :( Laggy, crashes, and doesnt load half the time.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    For android, they really need to enable the move to SD card feature. 11 megs on my nexus one is a lot. Stupid onboard storage being so small.

PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    SaxicideSaxicide Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Edit: I'm using a Droid2 Global, with Android 2.2
    The lack of a custom personal schedule really diminishes the usefulness of this app for me. "My Favorites" isn't the same. The background blue is kind of eye burny, not something I really want to be looking at much. Area Map loaded as Expo Hall level 4, Expo Hall level 4 didn't load, and Expo Hall level 6 loaded the Area Map, World Map doesn't load. Also, what is the Profile section for?

I do, however, really like the running @Official_PAX twitter feed at the bottom, and the section of the schedule organized by speaker. Really, really, like the ability to search by speaker.

But...for now I'm sticking to the unofficial guidebook guide, at least until PAX Assistant is updated. It isn't a strain on the eyes, it has a personal schedule option, and separate sections for major events, such as Halo Fest and the Omegathon. Overall, the official app just isn't that useful for me at this time.

Saxicide on
  • Options
    degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum aka. casual_geek Registered User regular
    It would be nice to have an event reminder/alarm for the events that I have favorited.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    A tablet optimized version of the app would be awesome, but it seems to scale ok on my Transformer.

Edit: and scaling is all it does well on my Transformer. Keeps crashing just on load and when you try to do anything. Oh well, guess I'm using Guidebook.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    G4MERG4MER Registered User regular
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S and it loads and runs just fine. I like the Battlefield 3 front page. Maps all load fast for me, Exhibitors crashes the app. every time I try to use it. The profile thing has no DONE option. The schedule crashes the app. The Scan thing works great tested it on the FORUM BADGE dealio. The About works great, and the tweet feed seems to work well. So either the stuff that is borked will work come PAX ( activate ) or you have some work to do.

g4mer_paxsig.png
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    It seems to all work on my iPod Touch 4g. nothing has crashed yet. Haven't tried to load it on my blackberry, half expecting it not be supported as I run and older 8330 curve.

• Options
    PlaneGuyPlaneGuy Registered User regular
    contrefait wrote:
    For android, they really need to enable the move to SD card feature. 11 megs on my nexus one is a lot. Stupid onboard storage being so small.

That's my main thing with the app, only I have a Milestone 1/ Droid 1 so it's probably worse. I dunno if the maps aren't working because there's no more room on my phone?

I'd like to see what the profile/attendee list does... will we be able to "favourite" attendees (i.e. make and track new friends :) ) If they can get it to have a smaller main footprint/move to sd, and there's extra cool features, this could be a great app.

• Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular

Which BB version should get used for a Storm 9530 or won't it support BB touchscreen? I'm honestly surprised BB is supported over WP7, usually it goes the other way.

• Options
    savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    Galaxy Tab 10.1. Major map flickering, to the point that I'm glad I not subject to seizures (have 2 cousins that are which is why I'm aware of the issue) as it might have triggered an episode.

Didn't look at much else as that was a "deal killer" for me I'm afraid. I've deleted the app (at least for now).

Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    ProximaProxima Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Guys if you are having trouble with the app keep in mind we are still supporting an unofficial guide on Guidebook (conventionist). Please pass on feedback, we love to hear what you think or how we can improve our product.

PS Android 1.6+ is supported.

http://guidebookapp.com/getit

m.guidebookapp.com for other web devices.

Proxima on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Proxima wrote:
    Guys if you are having trouble with the app keep in mind we are still supporting an unofficial guide on Guidebook (conventionist). Please pass on feedback, we love to hear what you think or how we can improve our product.

http://guidebookapp.com

Yeah, I will totally be using your app during PAX. The official app can't hold a candle to you guys.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    NecromantiNecromanti Registered User new member
    edited August 2011
    I tried out the iOS version on my iPhone 3GS. My issues with the app are thus:

- Takes quite a long time to load in the beginning.
    - The icons look jagged/pixelated instead of smooth.
    - When I left the app (pressed Home button) and then returned to it, the Twitter feed disappeared after reloading.
    - The time blocks allocated on "Your Schedule" seem to be sized wrong/don't fill out the right time periods. For example, I had favorited the Mega64 panel which begins at 7 PM. Instead of filling out the slot between 7 and 8 PM, it seems to fill out 7:30 to 8 PM instead. The events that start at half-hours (i.e. PAX Prime keynote at 10:30 AM) seem to be filling out the full hour (in this case, 10:30 to 11:30 AM) correctly, though. The ones that start on the hour are half as large, and don't show the time on top of the blue box.
    - The maps seem very large and unoptimized. On occasion, they run slow and choppily. Hang-ups and crashing seems to be common when browsing the maps.
    - The "Seattle Area Map" could really use an icon/locator for where the convention center is located.
    - For some reason, there seems to be a schedule (and events) for Monday... Is there a 4th day of PAX that I haven't been told about?

I definitely enjoyed aspects of the guide, but it seemed unoptimized for my device. Perhaps this is not the case with the iPhone 4, however.

I see lots of people mentioning GuideBook, so I just went and tried it out...
    Unfortunately, I think that will be the app I will be using. It runs extremely well and fast, and has a lot more depth at this point in time. It is really well optimized, and works like a dream. Maybe after a few updates, the official app will be on par with GuideBook. I wonder if there will be enough time for that to happen, though.

Necromanti on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Proxima wrote:

http://guidebookapp.com

Yeah, I will totally be using your app during PAX. The official app can't hold a candle to you guys.

Yeah, Guidebook is definitely a superior app. I will likely be using some combination of it and Nick Swar's PAX Assistant when it gets updated.

• Options
    HershaHersha Registered User regular
    App seems to just not work on IOS5 just keeps saying it can unpack the database over and over.

• Options
    SpicyMeatsSpicyMeats Victoria BCRegistered User regular
    IOS5 is still in beta, i dont think app's submited are checked for compatability yet

qEGfoNG.png

• Options
    MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    My main annoyance with the IOS version (on my iPhone 4) beyond the previously stated schedule issue (Monday?) is that the Twitter portion just does not work. It get's stuck, stops updating, and I can't figure out how to control what tags or users it follows, though it alternates between following Official_PAX or searching the #PAX tag.

Also, someone else mentioned the quite silly bug with the schedule time Spanish being reverse and not differentiating AM and PM. Case in point, the concerts, while stating a time of 8PM to 1AM, shows on your personal schedule grid from 1PM to 8PM...

I'm sticking with Guidebook, sorry... Maybe if an update comes before PAX I will reconsider.

paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
  • Options
    MelceneMelcene Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I used Nick Swar's PAX Assistant *Unofficial* last year (Android) and plan to again this year. It was pretty damn handy, as long as I had connection.

Also: his works with my old POS Behold 2 Android 1.5 phone.

Melcene on
    melcene-wide.png
    mogablah-BlackUserbar.gif