As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Name That Stand up comic! "I am the Machine", Russia, and the Mob

Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I heard on the radio (Adam Carolla might have been hosting, but quite honestly it could have been anyone), about five years ago, a side splittingly hysterical story from a comic who during a trip to Russia while in college accidentally introduced himself to the Russian Mob bodyguards they had hired as The Machine. The gangsters thought it was hysterical, invited The Machine and his friend into their room, and then shit got crazy. Throughout the trip, they wound up helping to rob a train, were introduced to more mobsters, and even took a joy ride in a police car in some Russian city one night (since the mob owned the cops at that time). I've googled as best I can and have come up short. This is all of the information I have to provide.
Is there any chance this is familiar to anyone?

Skoal Cat on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
  • Options
    How the fuck did I do this wrong.
    Thank you, Esh. Everyone, listen to this. Its great.

• Options
    Skoal Cat wrote:
    How the fuck did I do this wrong.
    Thank you, Esh. Everyone, listen to this. Its great.

Your Google-Fu rides the short bus. I'll check the story out in a bit. ;-)

• Options
    I think I kept adding "stand up" or "comic" to my search strings, which sent me God knows where.

• Options
    Hrrrm. I call shenanigans. He went from only being able to say "I am the machine" to conversing fluently with his Russian shadows in a matter of days.

• Options
    Its possible the Russians spoke some English. Everyone speaks English.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote:
    Its possible the Russians spoke some English. Everyone speaks English.

Nope, he specifically says that they were speaking Russian in the bar car and he goes "Oh hey! I can understand that's he's saying cheese, blah blah blah". Why would they switch from English to Russian and back and forth the whole time.

Plus, when he got back to school, his ass would've been nailed to the wall by his teacher.

Also, my old bosses father in law is Russian. There is no way some college kid is keeping up in drinking with the Russians. No. Fucking. Way.

EDIT: Yeah, not that funny. Just sounded like a story that some drunk frat kid would make up. Meh.

Esh on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    George Carlin put it best. Comedy is all about the exaggeration. Whether or not it's a true story isn't important to me in a comedic story. Comedians are the bards and jesters of our era. I thought it was pretty great. Guy's a good storyteller.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Tox wrote:
    George Carlin put it best. Comedy is all about the exaggeration. Whether or not it's a true story isn't important to me in a comedic story. Comedians are the bards and jesters of our era. I thought it was pretty great. Guy's a good storyteller.

See, I need to be able to have some sort of belief in the story. I feel like "The Machine" exaggerates a little (way) too much and it ruins the story. This guy's story here, I can see this happening. (NSFW language)

But, the problem is solved anyway and we all had some laughs, so that's what matters.

Esh on
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Since the video wasn't posted yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PAtFsJY5q0