As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magical Mystery Tour 2011

• septagonseptagon Registered User regular
    What's going on punzie? Ill be able to attend the MMT on Thursday. Can't wait!

• MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Buttons are in!
    296623_1829054659946_1647734370_1442742_8263845_n.jpg
    294168_1829054339938_1647734370_1442741_4438199_n.jpg

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    Do we have to worry about buying tickets for anything ahead of time or can we just wait till we get to the place?

I'd like to know this as well. Should I order a ticket ahead of time or can I just pay as we're boarding?

"Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
  • EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    That buttons looks amazing!
    So proud to be wearing the Prince for the weekend!

3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Mystral721 wrote:
    Do we have to worry about buying tickets for anything ahead of time or can we just wait till we get to the place?

I'd like to know this as well. Should I order a ticket ahead of time or can I just pay as we're boarding?

Overlooked this, sorry. Nothing needs to be purchased in advance. You can buy all tickets, food, bus fare day-of.

Ice Cream Cruise: Nomad is still waiting to hear back from the Cap'n.

HI3789R.png
    edited August 2011
    UPDATES!
    The ice cream cruise is not going to work out. We will be taking the 1-hour Argosy Cruise instead. No, there isn't ice cream on board. Yes, it costs more ($22.75 per person), but if you were already doing enough of the activities (Space Needle, EMP/SFM, Pacific Science Center, Aquarium) to warrant buying the CityPass, you're basically going on the cruise for free. I've updated Wednesday's schedule to reflect this change. (You may also notice lunch is a little later now.) It now look like this:

08:30 Pike Place meet-up (Golden Pig)
    09:15 travel time (walk)
    09:30 Aquarium [$19*]
    10:30 travel time (walk)
    10:45 Argosy Cruise [$22.75*]
    12:00 travel time (walk) [$2]
    12:15 lunch (Pike Place Market)
    01:00 travel time (#11 bus) [$2]
    02:00 Japanese Garden [$6]
    03:00 travel time (#11 bus) [$2]
    04:00 Underground Tour [$16]

I also updated the OP with a list of suggested things to bring. For your convenience, here is that list:
    What To Bring?
    A list of suggestions:
    Good Shoes - You want shoes that are preferably comfortable and have good tread. Seattle is hilly and also known for it's rain. Keep that in mind when choosing your shoes.
    Warm/Cold Wear and Layers - Last year, I remember the weather fluctuating a bit. It can be hot, cold, sunny, raining, or any strange combination of those. It could likely be cold and rainy in the morning, warm int he afternoon, but still chilly out on the water. Layers will help you accommodate whatever the weather throws at us.
    Cash Monies - Plastic can work, but there's always a chance it won't. Cash will always work (as long as it's the correct currency). It's also sometimes faster. Having small bills is a good idea for tipping tour guides and waiters, paying bus fares, etc.
    Phone - You know, in case you get lost. Or hurt. (Neither is suggested.) Or you miss your best friend and need to hear his voice.
    My Phone # - Did you get my PM? Write down my number, put it in your phone, somehow make sure you have it.
    Water and Snacks - Our time is tightly budgeted. While lunch is worked into the schedule everyday, there likely won't be time to stop at convenience stores/coffee shops/what-have-you. If you think you may want a snack or drink, bring it with you.
    Bag - Bags are handy for carrying stuff. Whether you need a place to stash your snacks, store your extra layers when you get warm, cart around your favorite game, or carry souvenirs and toys you buy, a bag is a good idea.
    Buttons - Did you make buttons for PAX? This is a good time to get in some early trading of said buttons.
    Schedule - It could be handy to have a copy with you.
    Seattle City Pass - Buying this could save you a little money if you plan on going to the EMP/Sci-Fi Museum, Pacific Science Center, Space Needle, Aquarium, and Harbor Tour. You can buy one at the Aquarium when we go there on Wednesday. If you don't go to at least 4 of those places, you will lose money by buying the pass.
    Pens and Other Small Items - General things that can come in handy: pens, paper clips, bobby pins, floss, duct tape, asprin. Stuff can go wrong. And you can play MacGuyver and fix it.
    A Good Attitude - We're spending a day or 2 together. Play nice: Don't complain about things I can't fix (the walk/weather/late bus). Don't start fights. Don't feed the animals. Don't be a dick.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    Yay for MMT!

7B14287.png
  • JHawkJHawk Registered User regular
    Looks great, hope everyone has fun!

• kainz0rkainz0r Registered User regular
    I'll be joining you guys, along with 4 others. I was totally planning to see Seattle and a lot of these places were already on my list, so this is awesome for me =)

• Reverend SnideReverend Snide Registered User regular
    If there's room for one more (or you're tracking head count) I'll join you as well. This is my third PAX Prime, but there's an awful lot of Seattle sights on the list that I haven't seen. :oops:

Have miles, will travel | Twitter | XBL: Reverend Snide | Wii U/PSN: ReverendSnide
    Just to let everyone know, I only ordered 50 buttons; I'll try to get everybody who stops by a button but if we don't have enough it's first come first served.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    wish I had stolen my folx button maker..oh well..next year

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    We live very near Fremont and know the area well. I agree with Helios: 2 hours is a pretty long Fremont stop as there's not a ton to do in the middle of the day, and the shops lean toward $$$/trendy boutiques (there's an official Fremont tourist council and professional marketing team responsible for their Very Slick Website). However, it's a bang-up lunch spot and would be a perfect place to take a little rest in the middle of the day. Get takeout and walk 1 block to the Canal to picnic along the Burke Gilman Trail if you want a beautiful picnic lunch.

Fremont Notes
    - Paseo: If you go to Paseo, leave EARLY or call ahead with your order so you can skip the line and go straight to pickup. Otherwise the line takes 30-45 minutes to navigate during lunch. And yeah, it's that good.
    - Brouwer's is a most excellent Belgian brewhouse. It's expensive but worth it.
    - Avoid Yak's Deli. Seriously, don't do it.
    - There's a huge organic grocery store in Fremont called PCC if you need to stock up on healthy snacks for PAX, shampoo or anything.
    - The 'Tacos Guayamas' taqueria in Fremont is the same one mentioned by Gabe at a past PAX (2009 maybe?) when someone at the Q&A asked him what stocks he recommends. "Buy stock in Tacos Guayamas. Delicious, delicious stock."
    -Frank & Dunya is a really interesting art shop run by a Russian woman and includes a lot of Russian artists' work in addition to locals'.
    -If you're tired, there's a good [LEGIT] foot massage place called 'Two Smiling Feet'. Call ahead.
    -Lastly, for any vegans or vegetarians, Silence Heart Nest is one of our original vegan/vegetarian Seattle restaurants. It's great.

Archie McPhee's: Archie's is over a mile from Fremont in the Wallingford neighborhood. It's one of the coolest, most originally-Seattle spots and really worth the trip. They've been in Seattle forever and there's really nothing like it anywhere. It would take about 30 minutes to walk or you could walk over to Stone Way and catch the 16 bus up the hill.

Have fun, you crazy kids! And an official HUGE THANKS to Punzie for organzing all this from afar. I can't even imagine how much time it took. You rock!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Yeah I'd rather spend more time at EMP, since it is huge and has lots to see. If you include the lunch hour, we're in Fremont for three hours.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    One of the things that I like about the MMT is its flexibility. If you are finding that you are done with one part of it, feel free to head on the the next one. :D

(@Decius, just let me know before you take off!)

7B14287.png
  • ciphersimianciphersimian Registered User new member
    Put me + 2 down for all day Thursday assuming there is room. Thanks!

Ok, I've heard you. I edited the Thursday schedule a little now too. We now have 1.5 hours in Fremont, including lunch time. If we wind up rushed there, I BLAME YOU! :P
    Updated the attendees list. We are now up to 60+ people! Now let's see how many of you actually show up...

HI3789R.png
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Helios, will you be saving any buttons for Thursday? We can't make Wednesday and I'd be very sad to miss a button :(

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    So I took off Thursday at my old job specifically to go on the MMT.
    New job wants me to come in all day because we're pushing a game release soon.
    Damn it.

So I'll probably be able to make it to the Japanese Gardens and that's it. At least that's something I've always wanted to do and have never gotten around to on my own.

3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
    akjak wrote:
    Helios, will you be saving any buttons for Thursday? We can't make Wednesday and I'd be very sad to miss a button :(

I'll keep an eye on how many I have left Wednesday, if I'm running low I'll hold off some until Thursday's crowd.
    I also have buttons specially reserved for MetaverseNomad and VThornheart, cause they're MMT legacies.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    punzie wrote:
    Updated the attendees list. We are now up to 60+ people! Now let's see how many of you actually show up...

I have a +1. :) We should be able to attend the entire thing.

• CronusCronus Registered User regular
    akjak wrote:

I'll keep an eye on how many I have left Wednesday, if I'm running low I'll hold off some until Thursday's crowd.
    I also have buttons specially reserved for MetaverseNomad and VThornheart, cause they're MMT legacies.

Good to hear. The buttons for the last 2 years are great and it would be terrible to miss out. Thanks for asking akjak as I completely forgot.

camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • EmuSpawnEmuSpawn Registered User regular
    Hi! Me and one more will be tagging along for the tour tomorrow and Thursday!

• jBusyjBusy Registered User regular
    Bad News friends: I won't be able to make thursday this year. But I'll be at Riot booth during most of PAX so you can stop by and say Hi.

• SenicksSenicks Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I will tag along Thursday to see Fremont, have lunch then run off to see the zoo. Add me into it if you can.

Refresh my memory but the golden pig is just across the fish throwing stand at Pike Place correct?

Senicks on
    Senicks wrote:
    I will tag along Thursday to see Fremont, have lunch then run off to see the zoo. Add me into it if you can.

Refresh my memory but the golden pig is just across the fish throwing stand at Pike Place correct?

That's the one, it's right at the corner where Pike street turns into Pike place.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • thisisauseridthisisauserid Registered User new member
    I'm getting into the SEA airport at 3:30. Does anyone have anything planned after the underground tour? I would love to meet up with some of you lovely folks for dinner or donuts or wandering about!

• UltraBuddyUltraBuddy Registered User regular
    I plan on going Thursday. Sorry for the late notice

I can't find the Golden Pig on a map... Where is it down there?

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    Depending on Cookie Brigade stuff, I might not be able to make it to all of the MMT on Thursday... but I'm going to try and swing by for the start at least if at all possible! =) Don't wait up for me though if I'm not there by the time you'd leave... as many would likely be able to attest to, I have a bad habit of flakiness (which is also, coincidentally, why I made for a terrible MMT Tour Guide ;) lol)

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    akjak wrote:
    I can't find the Golden Pig on a map... Where is it down there?

It's on the corner of Pike St. and Pike Pl. Underneath the iconic Public Market Center sign.

camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    well today was fun

• Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    I had fun. SO much fun!! The bus guy was kind of hilarious. The way he worded his issues made it sound like the mass transit system wasn't equipped to handle, well, massive transit. <3

Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I had a ton of fun too! I'm glad I finally was able to do it!

AN9buWz.png
    Punzie, you did a great job of herding us all around Seattle! See you next year, I hope!

Menolly07 wrote:
    I had fun. SO much fun!! The bus guy was kind of hilarious. The way he worded his issues made it sound like the mass transit system wasn't equipped to handle, well, massive transit. <3

I did feel bad for everyone who was not with us riding that bus. We'll have to deal with that next year if we plan on taking the bus again.

On another note the tour was a lot of fun. I had a great time hanging out with everyone that I did. BasicallyGeek and I also found an awesome and incredibly tiny coffee and pastry shop in Fremont.

camo_sig.png
  • riryriry Registered User regular
    Thank you so much, I had an absolute blast.

I got in laaate Wednesday night, so I ended up hitting a few of the things in the City Pass that I missed on Monday. It took a ridiculous amount of planning to figure out how to handle the bus system- I admire your fortitude, Punzie!

(I ended up eating at that pie place we passed in Fremont. It was delicious pie.)

I didn't have time for an actual signature, so here's a picture of a cat with a tinfoil hat.
  • basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    Cronus wrote:
    Menolly07 wrote:

I did feel bad for everyone who was not with us riding that bus. We'll have to deal with that next year if we plan on taking the bus again.

On another note the tour was a lot of fun. I had a great time hanging out with everyone that I did. BasicallyGeek and I also found an awesome and incredibly tiny coffee and pastry shop in Fremont.

Good Coffee! It has an iPad 3 and an adorable girl who works there who thinks men smell like shaving cream!

• ciphersimianciphersimian Registered User new member
    Thanks for a great time everyone. I'm finally getting settled back in and got my pictures off my camera, figured I would post the album here in case anyone is interested. Anyone else who was taking pictures that day going to put them up someplace for the rest of us?

https://picasaweb.google.com/108698757534761506720/SeattleMMT?authkey=Gv1sRgCMGT3KLwl6TA6QE

• chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    Mmm, delicious pre-pax goodness- thank you punzie and masterhelios!

Here's the pic from the first day cruise:
    qLv5T.jpg

And this is a link to a bigger version if you want to download it.

http://i.imgur.com/PhXcX.jpg