As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hotel Discussion Thread and Poll

• Options
    FlashheartFlashheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'll be at the Max cause its the closest to the greyhound and PAX, plus it was cheap

Flashheart on
  • Options
    thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    thegh0sts wrote: »
    OK, I have booked my Eugene, OR hotel/motel for the original length...now I am waiting on UO to open the ticket sales to their games.

i finally get an email back from amtrak that said i could check in my luggage at any time of the day of departure....hmmm.....

thegh0sts on
    Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • Options
    Got Haggis?Got Haggis? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm staying at Hotel Max as well - got a price of $100/night on Priceline name your own price. It was listed a 3 1/2 star hotel but from the reviews sounds like its not really 3 1/2...but whatever, seems like its in walking distance and in a good location, so thats good to me

Got Haggis? on
  • Options
    creid8creid8 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Heads up for anyone who cares - I just cancelled my reservation for Sheraton Seattle Hotel & Towers, so I guess there would now be an available room. It was double occupancy, 2 beds.

creid8 on
  • Options
    pillarofdawnpillarofdawn Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Raybdbomb wrote: »
    Am I the only one at PAX staying at the Marriott Renaissance? We're squeezing 8 dudes in a double queen.

ouch 8 in a double queen!? im packing 8 in a suite at the farimont olympic and im worried lol

pillarofdawn on
    I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite thread on the forums.
  • Options
    kalanikalani Straight Edge O.G Edmonds WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I had a question about the hotels. I booked a room at the red lion through the pax website in april. And i got the confirmation email saying that the room was booked . But when i called the red lion last week thay said they could not find my reservation anywhere. Has anybody called the hoetl they are staying at for confirmation about their reserxations

kalani on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    The PAX hotel website uses a third party booking company called OnPeak. OnPeak blocks out the rooms with the hotels and then sells the rooms themselves. They don't give the hotels the actual individual reservations until 2-3 weeks prior to PAX. If you have concerns, you should call OnPeak through the number that should be in your reservation email.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    kalanikalani Straight Edge O.G Edmonds WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thank you. I will call onpeak

kalani on
  • Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I called OnPeak yesterday - August 14th is when they will put in the actual reservations.

GeeCee on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Heads up, I am about to cancel a reservation at the Fairmont Olympic sometime in the next few minutes.

• Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    So question about hotel parking... I am staying at the Homewood Suites downtown convention ctr and parking is $25 valet only plus tax.
    Called hotel and they said it's more like $30 with tax... not to mention the valet tip...
    Am I better off parking somewhere else or is this a good deal?

I parked at the convention centre last year but I can't remember how much I paid.
    Also sorry if this is slightly off topic...

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    well you're only tipping the valet if you're going in and out. If you are storing the car you won't be giving a ton of tips, so that might cut cost a little.

• Options
    james1221james1221 Registered User regular
    room sharing at hotel max. see everyone around there.

• Options
    chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    You can self park at the Homewood (or could last year) but their garage is exceptionally...well...batshit crazy and I wouldn't recommend trying with anything larger than a compact car. But if you're just parking and leaving it, it's not so bad.

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Hey now, I parked my Buick in their garage with no issues. If I can wield a Buick in that garage, it can't be that bad.

But... if you're a terrible driver, you might want to avoid it.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    skylatronskylatron Registered User regular
    Didn't book at any of the listed hotels this year. While we had some really great hotels the last two years, the price seems to have increased on them *grumble grumble*, so we're staying @ the Travelodge by the Space Needle. Awesome locale, 1 mile from the convention center, walking distance to anything we may need, and for people who care about this sort of thing: garage parking. That was the biggest thing for us this year.

• Options
    Cerrato0426Cerrato0426 Registered User regular
    Just letting everyone know I cancelled one of my rooms at the Homewood Suites. It was for Thur+Fri+Sat. Looks like it's available for reservation on the hotels page already. I highly recommend the hotel!

• Options
    chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Hey now, I parked my Buick in their garage with no issues. If I can wield a Buick in that garage, it can't be that bad.

YOU JUST CALLED ME A TERRIBLE DRIVER DIDN'T YOU!??? Hmpfh.

You can use this to look for other garages: http://web1.seattle.gov/sdot/seattleparkingmap/

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:

YOU JUST CALLED ME A TERRIBLE DRIVER DIDN'T YOU!??? Hmpfh.

You can use this to look for other garages: http://web1.seattle.gov/sdot/seattleparkingmap/

On the bright side, you aren't the one that landed us in Quincy on what should have been a 10 minute drive from Logan Intl to our hotels.

Though you were the one giving directions...

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    Does the Sheraton have refridgerators in their rooms? The website says "mini-bar with items to purchase." That could just be a basket of candybars and chips though...

3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • Options
    Mini-bar does not equal fridge. Mini-bars are electronically controlled. So while, yes, it does have a refrigeration unit, if you remove the items in there to put your own items inside, it will automatically charge your room for the items removed. You MIGHT be able to call down and ask for a mini-fridge to be sent up, but I don't know that they do that. The Grand Hyatt will do that. But, the Sheraton is a bit more low-end than the Grand Hyatt. In my experience, the Shearton plays off the fact that they are convention center adjacent. So, their rooms are smaller, and their service isn't as good.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Mini-bar does not equal fridge. Mini-bars are electronically controlled. So while, yes, it does have a refrigeration unit, if you remove the items in there to put your own items inside, it will automatically charge your room for the items removed. You MIGHT be able to call down and ask for a mini-fridge to be sent up, but I don't know that they do that. The Grand Hyatt will do that. But, the Sheraton is a bit more low-end than the Grand Hyatt. In my experience, the Shearton plays off the fact that they are convention center adjacent. So, their rooms are smaller, and their service isn't as good.

The Grand Hyatt will send up a minifridge, Moe? Have you done this before? Does it cost anything? The wife and I are staying at the Hyatt, and might "borrow" some foodstuffs from the friends we're staying with beforehand if I can snag a fridge. Also great place to put leftovers if we go out to eat at all.
    (Also, said friends may use our Hotel room to stash their food/swag, so this could come in handy).

• Options
    LordFizzlebeefLordFizzlebeef Registered User regular
    Beware the Red Lion when roomsharing.

I was one of the first to buy my pass, and reserved at the Red Lion hotel, as I had last year. It was a bit pricey for only 3 of us, but it was a decent experience. I was planning on roomsharing this year, but they would only let me mark maximum "double occupancy". I decided to settle for marking it double occupancy, and called the hotel itself to ask how much extra they charge per person. After getting bounced around a few times from the operator to the front desk to the operator to reservations, I finally get to ask the question. "$10-$15 to print off extra keycards" they said. I ask "Are you sure that's it?" "Oh yes definetly".

Fast forward to today. I call to change the reservation to 5 guests (I called sometime last week and they said they didn't have the reservations in their system yet), and they say "Great! So that's an extra $20 per person per night, grand total $240!" When I ask what happened to the $10-15 that the reservation office quoted me, their response was "Well, we're a special hotel and don't follow that policy." After a lot of yelling at them, and them refusing to budge, probably because they knew I had no chance of securing a reservation anywhere else, I basically gave in and will be probably coughing up the lion's share myself.

This has completely soured me on the Red Lion chain. They were already pricey to begin with, this is too much. To say nothing of the fact that one of their final solutions was "Well looks like you're just going to have to kick out your extra guests" shows me that this is not a place I'm going to be spending my money in the future. I will at the very least be calling the reservation office (or a central customer service number if such a thing exists) and yelling at them tomorrow, telling them why I'm not spending another dollar in their chain ever again.

• Options
    tsrblke wrote:
    Moe Fwacky wrote:

The Grand Hyatt will send up a minifridge, Moe? Have you done this before? Does it cost anything? The wife and I are staying at the Hyatt, and might "borrow" some foodstuffs from the friends we're staying with beforehand if I can snag a fridge. Also great place to put leftovers if we go out to eat at all.
    (Also, said friends may use our Hotel room to stash their food/swag, so this could come in handy).

It does cost a bit, but I remember the cost being very low. I want to say either $5 or $25; that was total for the stay, not per night.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    @Moe_Fwacky Cool, we've only got a 2 night stay anyway (Yay friends! Boo driving to PAX!). Might be worth it. Definitely worth calling to confirm the details. (If you had said $20/night, not so much!)
    @Lordfizzlebeef: FWIW, when staying in hotels I hardly ever tell them I have extra people. I have inlaws who used to work in the hotel biz who agree that's the play. It doesn't net you anything (bigger room, more towels, NOTHING!) and the incrimental cost to the hotel is hardly that much to them (even if they offer breakfast). Typically when I've just gone into a hotel and acted like I belonged there and said in an affirmative (not mean, just affirmative) voice: "I'll need X* keys please" I've never even been looked at sideways. I have to do this a few times a year for conferences I attend as a poor, broke student.

*X has to be a reasonable number. YMMV, 3-4 works fairly well, 5 may be pushing it since the max occupancy on a lot of rooms is 4.

• Options
    LordFizzlebeefLordFizzlebeef Registered User regular
    Yeah I figured 5 was way over the line in terms of extra people without any asked questions. Also, this is the first time I've ever done a hotel share thing so I'm mostly just winging it.

• Options
    CommanderTonyCommanderTony Registered User regular
    Yeah I figured 5 was way over the line in terms of extra people without any asked questions. Also, this is the first time I've ever done a hotel share thing so I'm mostly just winging it.

Heh, i'm a part of a 6 person group as well....going to have to keep this fact on the DL. :)

3-Day pass (X) | Travel plans (X) | Hotel room (X) | Enough money...god damnit!
  • Options
    Cerrato0426Cerrato0426 Registered User regular
    I've always had 6, have always worried, and have never had a problem. This year I have 5. I'm a little worried.

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:

I called and asked
    $70 to empty the mini bar fridge
    $35/night to rent a mini fridge

• Options
    savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    skettios wrote:
    Moe Fwacky wrote:

I called and asked

note to self:: add buy cheap Styrofoam cooler to the prePax to-do list. and ice.

Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    ^^^
    Yes we are bringing a cooler instead. Should only have to add ice once a day to keep it cold.

• Options
    savagehart wrote:
    skettios wrote:
    Moe Fwacky wrote:

I called and asked

note to self:: add buy cheap Styrofoam cooler to the prePax to-do list. and ice.

Is that the sheraton or the Hyatt?

• Options
    skettios wrote:
    Moe Fwacky wrote:

I called and asked

Wow, they must have changed their policies since I last stayed there. That's unfortunate.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    savagehart wrote:
    skettios wrote:
    Moe Fwacky wrote:

I called and asked

Good idea, but use those gel ice packs instead. Ice...may not end well.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Decius wrote:
    savagehart wrote:
    skettios wrote:
    Moe Fwacky wrote:

I called and asked

But how will you refreeze them without access to a freezer?

• Options
    savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    Decius wrote:
    savagehart wrote:
    skettios wrote:
    Moe Fwacky wrote:

I called and asked

But how will you refreeze them without access to a freezer?

That's the flaw in the plan I noticed as well. It's a moot point as it turns out (OK, I just forgot we had one) we have a collapsible soft sided cooler that is pretty (sometimes too much) water tight. So I'm bringing that.

Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    tsrblke wrote:
    savagehart wrote:
    skettios wrote:
    Moe Fwacky wrote:

I called and asked

Is that the sheraton or the Hyatt?

That was for the Sheraton

skettios on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    i'm not freaking out here, but I just called homewood suites to confirm my reservation and they told me I'm reserved for saturday to monday when I reserved for thursday-monday. they said to call the booking company. they're closed for today.
    any uh, advice or info?

(i'm freaking out)

edit- i have received advice to continue freaking out all night then calm down and call them when they open up tomorrow and they should fix it

edit2- issue resolved. sad i nothing to freak out about anymore. well except that pax is so soon. so soon! *freaks out*

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PikaPuff wrote:
    i'm not freaking out here, but I just called homewood suites to confirm my reservation and they told me I'm reserved for saturday to monday when I reserved for thursday-monday. they said to call the booking company. they're closed for today.
    any uh, advice or info?
    (i'm freaking out)

Call OnPeak (if you reserved through OnPeak) with your OnPeak confirmation handy.

• Options
    FWIW, I called they Hyatt about a fridge and parking (with the 520 closed, our Host for the begining of the week became our hotel room floor guest for PAX, go figure).
    It's only a measly $5 for a fridge at they Hyatt, totally worth it, as we're hitting up a grocery store the night before to grab some lunchmeat and snacks to avoid leaving the expo hall ;).
    Parking is apparently $34 for Valet (with in/out privledges).