As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pax Prime Costumes 2011!

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'll be definitely dressed up Saturday. I'm gonna shoot for Friday as well, but honestly it depends on how hungover I am. I'll be all decked out for the Protomen concert at El Corazon though.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • MelceneMelcene Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    So I decided last minute (yesterday) that I was going to throw together a costume for Saturday probably. Mad Moxxi :) Given that I'm doing it last minute, don't have a sewing machine, and trying to keep it inexpensive, hope it turns out well!

melcene-wide.png
    mogablah-BlackUserbar.gif
  • G4MERG4MER Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    After seeing what some are doing, I feel so under dressed. sad face.

If I can find a black suit and a red tie I can be an old fat HITMAN. LOL

G4MER on
    g4mer_paxsig.png
  • GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    G4MER wrote:
    After seeing what some are doing, I feel so under dressed. sad face.

If I can find a black suit and a red tie I can be an old fat HITMAN. LOL

That's what I told my boyfriend to do! Hahaha don't be down, I LOVE your THAT GUY costume. It's very creative and I definitely want a picture :)

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • qwhackerqwhacker Registered User regular
    qwhacker wrote:

I'm actually dressing up as this as well. Hopefully we run into each other. I was debating on if I should get the makeup stuff to blackout my tooth like MCBC or not. I'll probably just be lazy and skip it though. You going as one of them in particular?

REALLY?! IT's ON! LOL!! No one in particular. Here's a peek:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/dillweed22/100_0609.jpg

(Made the belt myself, and I'm in the process of finishing 8 more. wont be done in time for PAX though.. The Batboy is the hardest part and I'm afraid that due to a semigloss issue it won't be as clean as is was in this pic. for some reason the gloss I put on it got really sticky :S)

I really do hope we run into eachother! What day will you be cosplaying?

Most likely saturday. I just finished the belt about a week or two ago, and i'm pumped. Yours does look a little better in the photos, but I have the blue rashguard as well, so we'll be different enough. We'll have to compare belt making skills/techniques. haha. Once I find what box I packed my camera in I'll post a pic or two.

I'll most likely wear it saturday, but not positive. I did greenman on the saturday last year too.

I will be there in my marine. Due to the weapons policy I may be forced to go.. unarmed..
    Still, look for me lurking around the 40k tables and the costuming panels. See everyone there!
    Derp.jpg

Also Duke Nukem.

Woooow! I had to show my husband since he plays the Black Templars. We are both thoroughly impressed. Hope we get to see it in person!

melcene-wide.png
    Thanks GamingGoddess. Maybe I can work something better up for Next year.

Just watched this stupid movie that I kinda enjoyed called SUPER. maybe I can be the CRIMSON BOLT. HA!

g4mer_paxsig.png
    Urrrrrrgh, attempting to paint my mega buster and it is going fucking badly. My hands are a bit shaky and it's skull fucking this project pretty bad and I've got like no real artistic capabilities when it comes to this sort of shit.

I could just hose this thing with a fresh coat of regular ole spray paint and call it good, but that just feels like a cop-out. I do think I'll be filing this project under "shit to never attempt again" after this PAX.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • AtashiAtashi Registered User regular
    What day are all you going to Cosplay? I am thinking I will Sunday.
    All three days, no exceptions. I plan on bringing two costumes at least so that they don't start reeking by Day 3.

PAX Prime 2013 Cosplays
    Silica - Sword Art Online -Infinity Moment-
    Teddie - Persona 4

Finally retiring Recette. It's been a good run.
    TOGSolid wrote:
    Urrrrrrgh, attempting to paint my mega buster and it is going fucking badly. My hands are a bit shaky and it's skull fucking this project pretty bad and I've got like no real artistic capabilities when it comes to this sort of shit.

I could just hose this thing with a fresh coat of regular ole spray paint and call it good, but that just feels like a cop-out. I do think I'll be filing this project under "shit to never attempt again" after this PAX.

Tell me about it. I've gone through three wigs and two pairs of underpants ( for poison ivys leaf like underwear) and I'm leaving Sunday and don't have a day off til then. It's almost done thank god.

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    edited August 2011
    Car Loaded, 6am Leave time (SUN) 2-3 days of driving to Seattle from Texas. WOOT! THAT GUY is about to hit the road. See you all next weekend!

ALL THE PICTURES I TAKE AT PAX PRIME can be found on THAT GUYS BLOG - http://my.opera.com/thatguysupervillain/blog/

G4MER on
    g4mer_paxsig.png
  • KillerMcDeadKillerMcDead Registered User regular
    Speaking of painting, I'm working furiously to finish my Protoman armcannon. After the black comes the white and silver details.
    316574_10150338261705190_547810189_9885959_5470128_n.jpg

294388_10150338261000190_547810189_9885945_881987_n.jpg

edited August 2011
    Speaking of painting, I'm working furiously to finish my Protoman armcannon. After the black comes the white and silver details.
    316574_10150338261705190_547810189_9885959_5470128_n.jpg

294388_10150338261000190_547810189_9885945_881987_n.jpg

Your gun is coming along nicely! I remember when you posted your original "two nerf guns smashed together" concept picture on the official Protoboards last year. Actually it was right after I posted my super ghetto concept:
    P1000601.jpg
    Lawl, that pic was so bad. It's definitely a far cry from where I'm at now:
    2011-08-21-01-56-23-601.jpg
    I wish I had the brush control to keep my detail painting clean and neat like yours. Also, somehow my light blue paint is oddly not glossy. I'm still figuring out how the fuck that happened seeing as how it's an enamel model paint. I may have to apply some sort of gloss coating to fix that.

EDIT: Does anyone wanna see what happens when you take a picture and your motorcycle helmet isn't actually fully pressed down on your head and you don't realize it at the time?
    HopeRidesWithMe.jpg

Whoops! So yeah, that's a 99% done picture complete with a comically huge head. :lol:

EDIT EDIT: Also I will be shaving before I go to PAX. I'm not gonna show up with a two week old bright red beard when cosplaying Megaman, lawl.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Also, I should probably clean my camera lens sometime soon.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Yeah I just saw your pics on the Proto forums. I definitely think there is potential for a photo shoot to break out should our paths cross at PAX....

As for the painting, it's far from perfect. If you look real close at it, I mess up all the time. I paint a lot of 40k stuff so my brush control is getting a bit better. Just keep at it, the wonderful thing about paint is if you screw it all up, you can just sand it down a bit and start all over!

Are you going to sport your costume to El Corazon's?

edited August 2011
    Are you going to sport your costume to El Corazon's?
    Damn straight I am. The Protomen are already aware that some nutjob in Alaska is working on a costume thanks to a buddy of mine so I'd hate to disappoint.

Since it sounds like we'll both be at El Corazon I guess I'd better be sure to bring a camera with me.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Awesome. I've got my Helmet done and the Gun is nearly finished, I just gotta figure out what I'm going to do for the rest of the costume. You'd think that would be the easy part...

edited August 2011
    Awesome. I've got my Helmet done and the Gun is nearly finished, I just gotta figure out what I'm going to do for the rest of the costume. You'd think that would be the easy part...

Western style clothes with red/gray theme and a yellow scarfy sashy thing. Assuming you live in a place with decent access to stores, you could get a grey vest, grey pants, red boots, a red shirt to wear under the vest, a red belt, and off you go. If you're lucky you've got a place you can buy a poncho at somewhere. If you can't get that stuff locally then I dunno. If you're handy with a sewing machine and have the time, you could do a marathon pattern sewing run and make it all yourself. All of my clothes were done via pattern (the shirt was modified).

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Yeah western stuff isn't exactly easy to come by where I live. If Protoman wore a parka and ski-pants, I'd be set.

Though the Halloween shops have begun stocking up, might be able to find some cheap stuff there until I can replace it. Might just end up wearing the Helmet and armcannon with a Protomen T-shirt and my new Penny-Arcade shoes, hahaha.

Yeah western stuff isn't exactly easy to come by where I live. If Protoman wore a parka and ski-pants, I'd be set.

Though the Halloween shops have begun stocking up, might be able to find some cheap stuff there until I can replace it. Might just end up wearing the Helmet and armcannon with a Protomen T-shirt and my new Penny-Arcade shoes, hahaha.
    Hey, at least it'll work great for the concert!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • GinRyuGinRyu SeattleRegistered User regular
    Almost done!!!

2011-08-21%2B15.51.10.jpg

• susansusan Registered User regular
    GinRyu wrote:
    Almost done!!!

2011-08-21%2B15.51.10.jpg

:^: :^: :^: :^: :^:

2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • etherealvisionetherealvision Registered User regular
    Almost done with my Brolaf costume! Just painting the helmet now. I had to take some liberties with the helmet design since beer hats don't come in "big". I think it's coming out better than I hoped!

Let there be games!
  • MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Still needs a few finishing touches, but here's the Bayonetta wig. (please ignore the creepy wig head) I'll be adding chain to the vinyl bodysuit tomorrow, and will hopefully have some more photos to share.
    302100_549932549440_83900129_31410518_6808825_n.jpg

• Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    Well everything for the costume is ready and packed. The biggest challenge I face tomorrow though is making sure my boots and Gun don't melt in the car in our 6+ hour trip.

• RavynRavyn Registered User new member
    I'm going to be going as a Dalek Girl on one day, and Jack Harkness on Sat with the hubby in tow as Ten. So we're totally going to make out. :P

• Lemony VenngeanceLemony Venngeance Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    qwhacker wrote:

Most likely saturday. I just finished the belt about a week or two ago, and i'm pumped. Yours does look a little better in the photos, but I have the blue rashguard as well, so we'll be different enough. We'll have to compare belt making skills/techniques. haha. Once I find what box I packed my camera in I'll post a pic or two.

I'll most likely wear it saturday, but not positive. I did greenman on the saturday last year too.

I actually Fixed the bat boy and it looks nearly perfect! I previously just drew the bat boy on with Sharpie and Gel pen, then coated it with spray gloss. that worked for about 5 minutes after it dried until I realized that it was SUPER sticky. It was basically ruined after an aquabats show that caused the belt to stick to the mass of people in front of me and collect tons of lint.

I was thinking about how I could fix it last friday and a lightbulb turned on.

VINYL CUT STENCIL!

I went to the Mall and had a Kiosk Vinyl cut the Bat Boy for me,
    WP_000178.jpg

then went to a local Craft store an bought some stuff called SIMPLY SPRAY
    WP_000179.jpg(http://www.simplyspray.com/stencilspray.html) (Make sure you get the one that looks like this can. the one labeled simply spray (without the Stencil Spray) won't work on naugahyde vinyl)

I took it out side (because it's basically spray paint for fabric) and sprayed it over the Stencil
    WP_000181.jpg

After waiting an hour I peeled the stencil off and VOILA!
    WP_000182.jpg

As you can see, the Newer one looks MUCH better than the old one.

Blue rashgard? NICE! We'll have to meet up on Saturday in uniform for photos!

Lemony Venngeance on
  • krikitarmykrikitarmy Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Wanted to show off the goggles and bandanna setup as well as the new hood with one of my patches added. Ignore the tshirt and the parents' basement.
    P6250004.jpg

And also, a few photos of my artifact
    P6250010.jpg
    P6250009.jpg
    P6250007.jpg
    P6250006.jpg

krikitarmy on
    edited August 2011
    God damn that resin worked out way better than I would have expected it to. Nice work with the hood, it instantly made the whole thing way more Stalkerish!

Where'd you get the Neutral patch from? It'd be nice to find somewhere other than soviet-power to order them from.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • krikitarmykrikitarmy Registered User regular
    Sorry TOG but I ordered it from an eBay store based in Ukraine. Hopefully, the stalker-shop will eventually stock more patches but right now eBay is the only place I've found

• HemisphereHemisphere Registered User regular
    Liger wrote:
    Scales are easier than they look. It's basically euro 4-in-1, with a little extra care taken to make sure the scales are all hanging the same way. For small scales you want 18g 3/16" rings, for large scales it's 16g 5/16". If it's for costume purposes, don't bother with the split rings. They are a hassle and scratch the anodized scales. Stick to the normal aluminum rings for costume durability and light weight feel.

Shipping is a bit of a pain, because they're so far out in BF Canada. Anytime you're buying rings for a project (especially anodized) buy MORE than enough in one shipment. That way you don't get any dye lot variations in the color, and shipping doesn't feel quite so steep. I have a pink shirt with three different colors of pink because I didn't have $ to buy the supplies in one go!

That's great news since I think I could do 4-in-1 in my sleep after the last couple of months. Thanks for the advice on the split rings! I'll be sure to purchase accordingly. I'm thinking I'll probably start in on them about 6-8 months out but hopefully it won't be as tedious since they're not form fitted like this current thing... I've had to take in the straps about three times since the photo I posted.

I didn't know that there could be color discrepancies in the shipments but that does make a lot of sense. I screwed up on this current project because I didn't know how to calculate correctly and ended up having to pay shipping twice when it would have been much cheaper and easier to just order too many rings.

• LigerLiger Registered User regular
    @Hemisphere Come find me at PAX if you want to talk more maille. :) I'll have my bag o' tricks with me while I hand out lanyards.

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • thairianthairian Registered User regular
    Being a fan of the Yogscast and Shadow of Israphel, I made a cardboard Israphel head. I'm going to be sticking it in my suitcase. It's entirely possible it won't make it to Seattle in one piece. Here is picture proof in case that happens:

305809_10150786497355495_602970494_21804662_2941389_n.jpg

I'm a Hufflepuff!
  • qwhackerqwhacker Registered User regular
    qwhacker wrote:

I actually Fixed the bat boy and it looks nearly perfect! I previously just drew the bat boy on with Sharpie and Gel pen, then coated it with spray gloss. that worked for about 5 minutes after it dried until I realized that it was SUPER sticky. It was basically ruined after an aquabats show that caused the belt to stick to the mass of people in front of me and collect tons of lint.

I was thinking about how I could fix it last friday and a lightbulb turned on.

VINYL CUT STENCIL!

I went to the Mall and had a Kiosk Vinyl cut the Bat Boy for me,
    WP_000178.jpg

then went to a local Craft store an bought some stuff called SIMPLY SPRAY
    WP_000179.jpg(http://www.simplyspray.com/stencilspray.html) (Make sure you get the one that looks like this can. the one labeled simply spray (without the Stencil Spray) won't work on naugahyde vinyl)

I took it out side (because it's basically spray paint for fabric) and sprayed it over the Stencil
    WP_000181.jpg

After waiting an hour I peeled the stencil off and VOILA!
    WP_000182.jpg

As you can see, the Newer one looks MUCH better than the old one.

Blue rashgard? NICE! We'll have to meet up on Saturday in uniform for photos!

Well, it appears my camera is MIA so you'll just have to believe me that its awesome. I just went with a vinyl sticker of the bat that I popped onto white vinyl and then sewed that part on. It feels slightly sticky, but I think if its too bad and causes a problem I should be able to rip it off and try the method you did. We should DM and figure out a place to met up and whatnot. I think Saturday may be mostly show floor as there is only a few panels in the evening I want to hit

• vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    Argh! PAX is less than 4 days away! I'm frantically getting the last pieces of my costumes together. I Friday, I'll be Ezio from Assassin's Creed. Saturday, I'll be Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones. Sunday, I'll be a female Indiana Jones. I would have pictures, but the costumes won't be completely ready until right before PAX (if I'm lucky. ACK!). Love everyone else's costume! Hope to meet you all!

krikitarmy wrote:
    Sorry TOG but I ordered it from an eBay store based in Ukraine. Hopefully, the stalker-shop will eventually stock more patches but right now eBay is the only place I've found

Which means it's the exact same kinda potentially shifty guy I ordered my Clear Sky patch from. Oh well, the fact that we actually got ours successfully delivered at least proves he didn't steal our money.

wWuzwvJ.png
    vgc wrote:
    Argh! PAX is less than 4 days away! I'm frantically getting the last pieces of my costumes together. I would have pictures, but the costumes won't be completely ready until right before PAX (if I'm lucky. ACK!). Love everyone else's costume! Hope to meet you all!

I know what you mean. Here it is Monday night, and I still have to draw a pattern for the collar on Moxxi's coat, create the collar, and attach it to the coat. I've been hoping to try everything on Wednesday night, but starting the fall term of law school this week has thrown things for a loop.

melcene-wide.png
  • darkshadowgirldarkshadowgirl Registered User new member
    Are there any costume panels, get togethers, contests, meet ups, fashion shows, etc. Saturday or Sunday? I know there are some Friday, but I won't be there Friday.

I'll be posting a pic of the whole costume tonight!

• Lemony VenngeanceLemony Venngeance Registered User regular
    qwhacker wrote:

Well, it appears my camera is MIA so you'll just have to believe me that its awesome. I just went with a vinyl sticker of the bat that I popped onto white vinyl and then sewed that part on. It feels slightly sticky, but I think if its too bad and causes a problem I should be able to rip it off and try the method you did. We should DM and figure out a place to met up and whatnot. I think Saturday may be mostly show floor as there is only a few panels in the evening I want to hit

hit me up on twitter, @lemonyvengeance. Well figure out when and where to meet up!

• HemisphereHemisphere Registered User regular
    Liger wrote:
    @Hemisphere Come find me at PAX if you want to talk more maille. :) I'll have my bag o' tricks with me while I hand out lanyards.

Excellent! Hopefully I an catch you while you're not too busy then ;) I'd love to be able to talk maille with you.