As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2011 BYOC Info/FAQ - SOLD OUT!

14567810»

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Raybdbomb wrote:
    Hi Red-

I followed your directions and sent an email to the address that said "if you haven't received a barcoded email from lanfest, let us know". I'm looking for 2 barcoded emails (because I have two registrations) and I only received one.

Thanks! Super stoked.

Did you buy two tickets using one account or create 2 accounts on LANfest?

If you did two tickets with one account you would have only gotten one barcode. Just let reg know you had multiple tickets and we will look you up manually to confirm.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    contrefait wrote:
    Three questions for you BigRed:

1. Where/when is the Thursday will-call?
    2. Can we modify existing group seating?
    3. If we have old barcode stickers and whatnot on our equipment from previous PAXes, do we have to take them off?

Thanks!

At least for #1, same as for the normal badge will call.
    Where is will call?

This year, Will Call will be located inside the WSCC at the ticket windows on the first floor next to the Convention Place Entrance. This is behind the
    escalators if you are coming in from the Pike St Entrance.

I just want to note, having been there a couple weeks ago looking around, the ticket windows are OUTSIDE, in the tunnel that the street makes, not inside. I'm going to post in the FAQ thread as well to make the distinction.

<@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    :)NuK:)NuK Registered User regular
    Shot in the dark, the Intel site shows 8 seats available, but registration is closed.

Any chance I could buy 2 of those seats? Or is it really closed. I tried waiting for refunds like you said, but none were available until now :\

• Options
    :)NuK wrote:
    Shot in the dark, the Intel site shows 8 seats available, but registration is closed.

Any chance I could buy 2 of those seats? Or is it really closed. I tried waiting for refunds like you said, but none were available until now :\

Nope, its closed. Sorry!

• Options
    moodboommoodboom Registered User regular
    I'm a complete dumbass, my plans for PAX Prime 2011 fell through (not my fault!!). I feel suicidal.

I didn't ask for a refund yet, 'cause as I mentioned I'm a dumbass.

I hate for two BYOC seats to sit open with people like :)NuK in need. I'm sure you guys are sick of dealing with us dopes that don't have our act together but I would like to give my barcode for the two seats or whatever to :)NuK.

So there you have my dumb story. Sorry.

• Options
    Unless you are there /w government ID to pick them up then there is nothing that you can do with the passes now that the refund deadline is passed, sorry :(

• Options
    PlaneGuyPlaneGuy Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Ugh at the last second I discovered the "Review Confirmation Email" on the LANfest site is a confirmation for PAX, not BYOC. I sent an email to pax_support already, I'm just venting about my stupidity. :P

Even more stupid and confused.... ignore

PlaneGuy on
  • Options
    :)NuK:)NuK Registered User regular
    moodboom wrote:
    I'm a complete dumbass, my plans for PAX Prime 2011 fell through (not my fault!!). I feel suicidal.

I didn't ask for a refund yet, 'cause as I mentioned I'm a dumbass.

I hate for two BYOC seats to sit open with people like :)NuK in need. I'm sure you guys are sick of dealing with us dopes that don't have our act together but I would like to give my barcode for the two seats or whatever to :)NuK.

So there you have my dumb story. Sorry.

I appreciate the sentiment, I would have gladly given you face value + high fives etc., and I'm sorry that you can't make PAX. Let me just say how much I appreciate people like yourself at least trying to help out however :)

Thanks very much, and I hope I can run into you next year @ PAX!

• Options
    disposablecompdisposablecomp Registered User regular
    I know this has been answered before but I have seen two different answers.

On the forums I keep seeing Thursday I can pick up BYOC at will-call at 2pm, then the official PAX twitter account told me noon was when it opened.
    I will be catching bus down to Seattle to pick it up and rather not arrive 2 hours early if it is 2 and not noon, but noon is more convenient for my work schedule.
    I am sorry to ask this again, but has the will-call time changed or which is it?

Thank you

• Options
    Wifout TeefWifout Teef Registered User regular
    I'm sure this has been answered, but i can't seem to find the answer.

To get the BYOC badge on friday, what exactly do I have to have? I remember last year I brought a receipt. I can't remember if it was a receipt for BYOC or the normal PAX badge. Which one is it?

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    BYOC Barcode is needed to pick up your BYOC pass. If you don't have the BYOC barcode (from your recent e-mail), they can look you up manually, but you will have to wait until people with barcodes are checked in.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    I have my BYOC Barcode already, but in the intervening time, I've gone from attending as a civilian to attending as an Exhibitor. Will that present a problem for me with BYOC?

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    I don't see why it would. You paid for the seat and have a pass that allows you to be there all three days. The only problem I can imagine would be something between you and your employer. As long as they don't take issue with it (for whatever reason), you're golden.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Good to know, thanks. My employer definitely doesn't have a problem with me spending my un-scheduled time in BYOC, so I'm good. :)

• Options
    moodboommoodboom Registered User regular
    :)NuK wrote:
    I appreciate the sentiment, I would have gladly given you face value + high fives etc., and I'm sorry that you can't make PAX. Let me just say how much I appreciate people like yourself at least trying to help out however :)

Thanks very much, and I hope I can run into you next year @ PAX!

Thanks :)NuK. :> Yes I will be there come hell or high water and we will meet up in BYOC 2012 'cause we're both gonna get on it next time! :P Have fun in 2011!

• Options
    Wifout TeefWifout Teef Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    BYOC Barcode is needed to pick up your BYOC pass. If you don't have the BYOC barcode (from your recent e-mail), they can look you up manually, but you will have to wait until people with barcodes are checked in.

Ok. I have not received a BYOC barcode email and neither have my friends. How can I get one now?

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Ok. I have not received a BYOC barcode email and neither have my friends. How can I get one now?
    http://lanfest.intel.com/?page=my_events

Be logged in and go to my events. In the PAX Prime 2011 area, click my registration in the top right. click review confirmation email

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    ***WILL CALL FOR BYOC BADGE PICKUP WILL NOT BE OPEN UNTIL 2 PM TODAY, THURSDAY, THE 25TH***

MagnifiedX on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Where is it?

Edit : I scrolled up and found the answer on this page

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    so these are what 8 ft tables?

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    First in line to get my BYOC badge! See you all tomorrow.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    What's the internal steam server?

• Options
    MattauiMattaui Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I have to say I'm very disappointed with how the EVE Pod race event was run. Rules were clearly posted (I thought) and indicated that these were to be new characters, and pains were taken to ensure this, but at least one of the winners had his 'main' account logged on to assist him. It wasn't as if I had any dream of winning, being such an EVE novice, and I would have been very happy to come in third, but this was pitched as an event that even newbies could join. Had the addendum of 'Oh, feel free to use your mains to assist you' been posted, or if it had been presented as a contest for EVE veterans, I wouldn't have even bothered.

The organizer of the event couldn't have cared less and got pretty snide about it, too. I brought it up with the PAX staff but I know they're very busy and have many things on their plate, but I'd think they'd like to know what sorts of events are being run and how they're being handled.

I'd like to think I'm not totally out of line on this, and yes I know 'But it's EVE Online!', but I think anyone would hate to enter a tournament with hidden or unenforced rules at an event like PAX.

• Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    BigRed and crew - thanks for another great BYOC event. I had a lot of fun watching the bridge contest on Sunday, playing HDD shuffleboard on Saturday, and generally hanging out in BYOC. See you next year!

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    It was a very fruitful BYOC this year! It was fun to see our bridge win first, thanks everyone who voted!

The great: all the different competitions, random prize giveaways, many game play opportunities, shuffleboard, rock-paper-scissors, etc ;-)

But I too was disappointed in some of the competitions. The Co-Op Portal 2 we played in had some issues, mainly being that loading between the different levels were different for each computer. Because of this, and the ability to disable glados from talking at the end, allowed first place to win by at least a minute.

Also, it was sad to see the fire marshal nix the Chairs after doing it for years. Worse, the BigRed lied to me when he said it was in the FAQ the whole time that chairs were prohibited. In fact, when I checked google cache, this was not the case. It also is not listed on the LanFest site. This made us out to be 'bad guys who can't follow rules'... but being dishonest goes counter to the prime rule of PAX: don't be a dick. It seemd to be really a case of a Fire Marshal who changed the rules and we weren't informed of it until we were there. I felt bad for the guy who spent a painstaking amount of time to build his chair and bring it, to be told at 2am he would need to roll it out and figure out what to with it. This is unacceptable. BYOC should have been able to at least offer to secure the chair until the event was over.

7jIDTca.png
  • Options
    Just got off the phone with Lt. Beal from the Seattle Fire Marshal's office:

"We don't care what chairs are being used, as long as they aren't being added to the current chairs down the isle. One chair per station, as long as it isn't over-sized (like a lazy-boy recliner or something), would be just fine."

"A few rolly chairs I don't think would be something we would see an issue with. If the whole isle were full of them, that would probably raise our attention"

"Our main goal is to make sure egress isn't blocked. It doesn't matter if its three chairs that were issued be the convention center or chairs brought in, we would have a problem if multiple chairs were used for one computer station."

7jIDTca.png
  • Options
    muahahahahaha

Bruce Gyger - I don't care if other people bring in their own chairs... The fire marshal certainly doesn't care.

Bruce is the convention center events manager for the 6th floor.

7jIDTca.png
  • Options
    DRAGONWEEZELDRAGONWEEZEL Registered User new member
    Tech Support:

To those of you who went to PAX BYOC this year and needed tech support How was your experience?

What could we have done better?
    What should we never change?

• Options
    AGlassOfMilkAGlassOfMilk Registered User regular

To those of you who went to PAX BYOC this year and needed tech support How was your experience?

First let me say that BYOC was awesome this year. Much thanks to all the enforcers and IT guys that helped. That being said there are definitely a few things that can be improved.

1. Fix the slow network. I have been doing BYOC for 3 years now and it seems like a common problem is the horribly slow network. I understand that this is likely the result of torrents...so cap or port block. If this doesn't work then I say start banning MAC addresses until they stop. The needs of the many outweigh...
    2. Anticipate large game updates and post them earlier. One of the major problems was updating the games (exacerbated by the slow network). The World of Tanks update was something like 500 megs and used a torrent based updater (by default) to update.
    3. More dedicated servers for games.
    4. This is just a little thing, but I don't think people should be allowed to buy 2 spots just for extra monitor space. One guy brought what looked like a 50' big screen TV. I understand that you want to show off how big your epeen is, but I'd rather have more people.
    5. Pizza...because you can't go wrong with asking for pizza.

I could bitch more, but I will stop there. Overall, you guys did a good job, but improvement is needed.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    japerry wrote:
    muahahahahaha

Bruce Gyger - I don't care if other people bring in their own chairs... The fire marshal certainly doesn't care.

Now who's breaking Wheaton's Law? :P

• Options
    Houn wrote:
    japerry wrote:
    muahahahahaha

Now who's breaking Wheaton's Law? :P

Yup. you're right. But since talking to Red in person was futile, it seemed there was little other recourse. To be clear, I could care less about the chair... its silly. What I do care about is how BigRed handles situations, in particular when it comes to paid participants.

BYOC is not BigRed's fiefdom.

He should have more respect and not try to f**k people over. When he said Chairs were not allowed, I asked where did it say it.. he said it was always in the FAQ and that I needed to read it closer next time. Bedazzled, I took a look and there it was. I couldn't believe it. Why? because I looked on Thursday and it wasn't there.... so right in front of me, I point out that google cache says that on the 25th that there was no mention of it. He replies "its in there" and huffs off.

20110829-capstqpt4g622jku64s54x98in.jpg

When BigRed lied to us (those with chairs), using his typical attitude towards things, I lost my trust in what ever reason he gave. Being 1am, I couldn't verify his claims as most people went to sleep. So a quick phone call verified what I already suspected.. the reason was bullsh**t.

Being a dick about competitions and in general? okay I can deal. Being a dick about rules that make us feel like we're stupid, now thats just offensive.

7jIDTca.png
  • Options
    Regarding the
    Tech Support:

It was sad that the network was having trouble getting out. As some said it could be torrents, it also could be worms or other DOS style of worm/virus that a computer is spamming to the router. It'd be nice to have some automated tools pick up those offenders and block their MAC addresses until the issue is resolved. Back when working at university IT, many didn't even know they were infected or slowing down the network.

One kudos is the steam local update server.. even though you had to go outside to authenticate, being able to patch locally was awesome. I wish more games had that option.

7jIDTca.png
  • Options
    SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    1. Fix the slow network. I have been doing BYOC for 3 years now and it seems like a common problem is the horribly slow network. I understand that this is likely the result of torrents...so cap or port block. If this doesn't work then I say start banning MAC addresses until they stop. The needs of the many outweigh...

4. This is just a little thing, but I don't think people should be allowed to buy 2 spots just for extra monitor space. One guy brought what looked like a 50' big screen TV. I understand that you want to show off how big your epeen is, but I'd rather have more people.

Quoting for emphasis. When there is limited space, why bust out the crazy peripherals at the expense of someone else being disappointed?

As for all the rule/chair fappery, cut the organizers some slack. Managing an event this size is intensely challenging, and when it comes down to event-time, you have to make a lot of snap-decisions. Sometimes that means that less-ideal choices get made, but in the big picture, if you'd tried to micro-analyse everything that gets thrown at you when you're wearing the bulls-eye of being a leader, the whole event would suffer for it.

"It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • Options
    Shift happens, and thats expected for any event, just fine. I just don't like who Red treats people. Its disrespectful and has been going on for quite a while now. Most of us just brush it off as "oh well thats Red".. meh I don't really accept that. I'd like to see him be a little more respectful, thats all.

As for monitors.. meh the 50" one was a bit overkill. But I'd rather have him taking two spaces than having another space open just for someone to use BYOC as their personal storage locker.

There was someone who signed up for 5 spaces. I'm not sure if he shared them with others or if it was just him. I think that should be limited. Perhaps you should only be allowed to buy 2 spaces max?

7jIDTca.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote:
    Q: Can I bring my 30+ something inch monitor/TV?
    A: The max monitor size is 24" due to power and space constraints.

If someone really brought a 50" (I didn't notice if so), then they probably should have been spoken to about it.

This discussion has been closed.