As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pax Prime Costumes 2011!

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Are there any costume panels, get togethers, contests, meet ups, fashion shows, etc. Saturday or Sunday? I know there are some Friday, but I won't be there Friday.

The only actual costuming oriented panel is on Friday (and at a really shitty time too). Outside of Friday there's nothing planned.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Houn wrote:
    AC_Bro_Finished.jpg

One of Two.

AC_Rev_Finished.jpg

Two of Two. Assassins all up in your PAX.

• KillerMcDeadKillerMcDead Registered User regular
    Did some white paint on my Protoman armcannon today. It's not finished, but this'll most likely be how it looks at PAX.
    315931_10150341330755190_547810189_9921681_4089496_n.jpg

293692_10150341330555190_547810189_9921678_4330790_n.jpg

294548_10150341330345190_547810189_9921677_7149165_n.jpg

• Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    I head up to Seattle tomorrow so this will probably be my last post on this thread till after PAX since I am not bringing my laptop up with me. I can't wait to see everyone's costumes! There is some really good work this year! If you see a Chell wandering around feel free to say hi!

• GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    Pretty much all finished! Added a few more leaves but it's all done!
    IMG_2848.jpg

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • AtashiAtashi Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Curse-Ten wrote:
    I head up to Seattle tomorrow so this will probably be my last post on this thread till after PAX since I am not bringing my laptop up with me. I can't wait to see everyone's costumes! There is some really good work this year! If you see a Chell wandering around feel free to say hi!
    I'll be looking for you.

And I'm nearly finished with my Recette costume. Just the belts and jabot left to finish off now.
    recette_coveralls13s.jpg
    recette_boots7s.jpg

Atashi on
    PAX Prime 2013 Cosplays
    Silica - Sword Art Online -Infinity Moment-
    Teddie - Persona 4

Finally retiring Recette. It's been a good run.
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Did some white paint on my Protoman armcannon today. It's not finished, but this'll most likely be how it looks at PAX.
    315931_10150341330755190_547810189_9921681_4089496_n.jpg

293692_10150341330555190_547810189_9921678_4330790_n.jpg

294548_10150341330345190_547810189_9921677_7149165_n.jpg
    Nice work! Sent you a PM regarding some free accessories for your costume. :D
    2011-08-24-01-08-34-804.jpg
    This is the finished state. It's not too bad considering I've never done anything like this before and had more than a few screwups I had to fix, but I'll be much more prepared for my MKII version.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited August 2011
    I'm digging the armcannons. Good work, guys.

Houn on
  • VideoGameStupidVideoGameStupid Registered User regular
    Pretty much all finished! Added a few more leaves but it's all done!
    IMG_2848.jpg

Looks very awesome. Can't wait to see it at PAX this weekend.

• Lemony VenngeanceLemony Venngeance Registered User regular
    Wow! So many awesome costumes! Good work guys!!

• mikozillamikozilla Queen of Ferelden WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    GinRyu wrote:
    Unfortunately not. I am attending Friday and Saturday, but I have to leave early Sunday morning to head back to college.

:/

No costume contest for me.

:( Darn! I'm going as Ashe on Sunday only, I wanted to hunt you down for photos. Well, the costume looks amazing all the same, so if you get stopped by a Merrill from DA2 for a photo, that'll be me, lol.

Hemisphere wrote:
    Excellent~! I think we're planning on dressing up on Saturday since that's when the Dragon Age panel is taking place. I'm not sure the best way to coordinate a group photo but I'd imagine we'll see each other in passing throughout the day.

I just finished with the chain mail for my bodice last night. I don't even want to think about how many hours it took me to complete but it was a lot of fun to learn how to assemble it. You'd probably need a year to do something like what Merrill is wearing. The painted fishnets over the black bodysuit sounds like it'll work out great! What are you thinking of using for the tattoos? From the Merrill costumes I've seen online that seems like the most difficult part to pull off cleanly.

Well, I'll for sure be hitting up the DA panel, so if all else fails, we'll find each other (and many others I'm sure) there. :3

I cannot wait to see your bodice. I wouldn't even know how to begin doing a piece of work like that, maybe someday I'll give it a shot and revamp Merrill. As for the tattoos, I actually ordered some inkjet tattoo paper online. Then sketched up the design, scanned it, cleaned it, etc. The little test batch I did worked out nicely, so hopefully when I apply all of them it'll work out just as well.

mikozilla on
  • KaelasKaelas Registered User regular
    Hey everyone, I have a fun question, but I have to be slightly secretive. During a presentation were doing, we'd love to have starwars themed characters for a "procession" as well as possible other small 2 minute or less skits. For details contact me at 505-504-1944 I'll be at the Gamespy Tech event today but I'll have my phone on.

• TheJackylTheJackyl Registered User regular
    Looks like a lot of great costumes this year. I'm going to try to be a camera ninja this year, taking more candid shots.

• krikitarmykrikitarmy Registered User regular
    Costume is (95%) finished!
    P6280004.jpg
    P6280007.jpg
    P6280005.jpg
    P6280006.jpg
    P6280011.jpg
    Some closeups on the geiger counter. It doesn't work but that's what MP3 players with speakers are for!
    P6280013.jpg
    P6280012.jpg
    And a shot of my shoes and knee pads. The knee pads add a lot of heat so I don't think I'll be wearing them.
    P6270002.jpg

My favorite part is that each pouch is filled with a card game, with one larger pouch containing Zombie Dice. And the backpack will be useful for swag and merch. I'll probably only be dressing up on Saturday as Friday is looking way too hot and Sunday should be a day to just relax. We'll see.

• MiraMira Registered User new member
    Excited and nervous about my first attempt at wearing a costume to a con! I'll be there on Saturday as my gnome rogue from World of Warcraft, in full Blackened Defias Gear (complete with pigtails, of course!). Please be kind at the amateur nature if you see me - since this is my first try, I cobbled together my costume from various bought pieces - I can barely sew a button on! :( I just wanted to have some fun and dress up. :)

• SvKSvK Registered User regular
    Atashi wrote:
    And I'm nearly finished with my Recette costume. Just the belts and jabot left to finish off now.
    recette_coveralls13s.jpg
    recette_boots7s.jpg
    Wow, those look great.

• EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Howdy everypony! Can't wait to see y'all (and my wig) at PAX!:D
    applejack.jpg

EruditeAphrodite on
    Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    I have no words, Eep. No words. Three letters though: O M G.

Okay one word: ADORKABLE.

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    Liger wrote:
    I have no words, Eep. No words. Three letters though: O M G.

Okay one word: ADORKABLE.

<3 Liger. I will be sure to track you down while in costume to get a picture. n.n

Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • MelceneMelcene Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    Mira wrote:
    Excited and nervous about my first attempt at wearing a costume to a con! I'll be there on Saturday as my gnome rogue from World of Warcraft, in full Blackened Defias Gear (complete with pigtails, of course!). Please be kind at the amateur nature if you see me - since this is my first try, I cobbled together my costume from various bought pieces - I can barely sew a button on! :( I just wanted to have some fun and dress up. :)

You're not the only one :) My husband keeps teasing me about how my costume might fall apart if someone pulls one string. I sewed a few buttons, but not a stitch more, which is truly amazing. Lots of cheating with fabric tape, electrical tape, hot glue, etc. But considering it was last minute, I'm happy with it :)

melcene-wide.png
    mogablah-BlackUserbar.gif
  • aprilagaprilag Registered User new member
    Melcene wrote:
    Mira wrote:

You're not the only one :) My husband keeps teasing me about how my costume might fall apart if someone pulls one string. I sewed a few buttons, but not a stitch more, which is truly amazing. Lots of cheating with fabric tape, electrical tape, hot glue, etc. But considering it was last minute, I'm happy with it :)

It's my first cosplay try as well! I'm so nervous I almost chickened out and quit halfway through since I don't have a sewing machine! But I hope my iron on double sided tape holds together!. I actually still have some spray painting and glueing left, and I'm starting my drive out tomorrow! Wish me luck and see you all there!!! Its my very first convention too!!

• ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Oh man, so excited for PAX the day after tomorrow! I somehow got my costume done on time, too! (well, I am waiting on some paint to try, then it will be done.) I plan to post pictures of the actual costume tomorrow, but here are the really awesome chakrams my boyfriend made me to go with it:
    One of my kitties wouldn't get out of the picture is kindly using himself as size comparison. (They are really darn big.)
    AXWx04ECEAA6Mc8.jpg
    My friend sadly isn't doing his costume now, so I am a lone Dynasty Warrior again.

I was wondering, for those of you wearing costumes Friday and going to the cosplay panel, (yeah, worst time ever...) Do you plan to wear your costume the entire day? I am going up to PAX in my costume really early in the morning, since we can't check into our hotel until 4pm Friday, so if I wear it through the end of the panel, that will be 14ish hours of wearing the costume. So now I'm thinking I'll switch out of it in the middle of the day for a while...

Elgaladwen on
    OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
  • VideoGameStupidVideoGameStupid Registered User regular
    Elgaladwen wrote:
    I was wondering, for those of you wearing costumes Friday and going to the cosplay panel, (yeah, worst time ever...) Do you plan to wear your costume the entire day? I am going up to PAX in my costume really early in the morning, since we can't check into our hotel until 4pm Friday, so if I wear it through the end of the panel, that will be 14ish hours of wearing the costume. So now I'm thinking I'll switch out of it in the middle of the day for a while...

I probably won't be going to the cosplay panel but i will be switching off and on throughout the day. My hotel is a ten minute walk so i'll probably drop off my costume there whenever i feel the need to.

• AtashiAtashi Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Putting final touches on my Recette costume now. Just waiting on the glue on the bracelets to cure, paint on the fake book to dry, and sewing a few snaps onto the coveralls so that they don't do a split \__ __/ (like in photo below) anymore when worn. I'll stuff the boots before the con, too.

(Bracelets are missing in the photo)
    recette_test0s.jpg
    recette_wig2s.jpg

Atashi on
    PAX Prime 2013 Cosplays
    Silica - Sword Art Online -Infinity Moment-
    Teddie - Persona 4

Finally retiring Recette. It's been a good run.
  • MelceneMelcene Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    Elgaladwen wrote:

I probably won't be going to the cosplay panel but i will be switching off and on throughout the day. My hotel is a ten minute walk so i'll probably drop off my costume there whenever i feel the need to.

Although I'm not costuming Friday, I'm in a similar boat. We will be day-tripping Friday, and got our hotel room for Saturday night, so I'm thinking that rather than walking around in my costume ALL day Saturday, I'll wait till hotel checkin (3pm for the Sheraton I believe) and change at that point).

melcene-wide.png
    mogablah-BlackUserbar.gif
  • NormanPrideNormanPride Registered User regular
    I don't have pics, but the wife and I are going as Franziska von Karma and Detective Dick Gumshoe.

... Obviously I am going as Gumshoe, and she is going as Franziska. :) If you see us, say hi!

• irikahirikah Registered User regular
    Finally done with mine (have a few minor repairs to make because the original leather straps I bought were complete and total crap and broke after like 15 seconds, but apart from that everythings good!)

Contemplating going in full costume Friday, but I have to bail midway through to go to work for 4 hours before going to the party at Trinity, and I'm not sure my boss would appreciate me cooking on a line in blue body paint infront of customers ;P

question on the make up front, would you guys recommend setting it w/powder or whatnot? I messed around with it earlier in the week, and it didn't bleed/smear -that- much onto my clothing, but I've been toying w/the idea of setting it with a powder. Y/N/recommedations?

.life.laugh.love.
  • HemisphereHemisphere Registered User regular
    mikozilla wrote:
    Well, I'll for sure be hitting up the DA panel, so if all else fails, we'll find each other (and many others I'm sure) there. :3

I cannot wait to see your bodice. I wouldn't even know how to begin doing a piece of work like that, maybe someday I'll give it a shot and revamp Merrill. As for the tattoos, I actually ordered some inkjet tattoo paper online. Then sketched up the design, scanned it, cleaned it, etc. The little test batch I did worked out nicely, so hopefully when I apply all of them it'll work out just as well.

Excellent! Well, if nothing else you'll definitely see us at the DA panel~! I'm excited to get to show you how the bodice turned out. The tattoo paper sounds like an absolutely fantastic idea. I bet it's going to be one of the best Merrill costumes to date :)

• ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    Phew, all done!
    AXuMHtqCIAAuXKM.jpg
    (Actually, it was done last night, I am just running around trying to pack everything now.)
    I'm not totally happy with all the fabric paint, but I'll live.
    I plan to wear it from when I arrive Friday morning until whenever I check into the hotel, then again for the cosplay panel. And then most (all?) of Saturday. Sunday I'll be in my 'Rocket General' skirt suit for the PAX Pokemon League.

Can't wait to see all the costumes!! Will anyone else be in cosplay while waiting in line for the expo hall to open tomorrow?

OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
  • arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    I will be! Look for a Vanessa VanCleef or a Twilight Sparkle pony, I will be switching into one or the other all weekend =)

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • PickettPickett Registered User regular
    Ok, I tried to make this post last night, but it did not take...

To any and all Whovians who will be in costume; the wife (Cliffs of Sanity) and I will be dressing both Friday and Saturday. We should get together for a big group photo at some point. When do folks think a good time for that would be?

• vasarianvasarian Registered User regular
    Everyone did an awesome job! way to go and can't wait til next year!

Mad props to the costumes I saw, they all turned out fantastic.

• RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    There were a lot of really awesome costumes out there this year. Nice job everyone.

I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • TheJackylTheJackyl Registered User regular
    My private game of Photo Ninja went very well. I think all those who I shot will be quite pleased.

• Eticket109Eticket109 Registered User regular
    I saw some amazing costumes this year.

The girl dressed up as a Great Khan for FNV was amazing.

I was also very impressed with the Dragon Age 2 cosplayers. The Aveline, Bethany and Fenris I saw were near perfect.

The Isabela was a bit... lacking... but that may have been due to my unrealistic expectations.

• OccamOccam Registered User regular
    Seriously? The Isabela was incredible, possibly my favorite overall. Those boots! All the DA2 people looked really amazing.

• kylechukylechu Registered User regular
    As I heard someone say while passing by, I shall see the male Misty cosplayer in my nightmares.

• gorgeousplanetgorgeousplanet Meat Popsicle OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    kylechu wrote:
    As I heard someone say while passing by, I shall see the male Misty cosplayer in my nightmares.
    That was probably me you heard... MistHE haunted my vision throughout the weekend! Had to catch a pic: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2167616862672&set=a.2167616822671.2119224.1014196383&type=1
    OK, hopefully I did it right this time! You will have to login to FB.

gorgeousplanet on
  • kylechukylechu Registered User regular
    Comcast is wisely preventing me from seeing your image.