As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Writing a good resume?

BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I've decided to test the waters and see what other avenues of income there are available in the area.

I've been with my present employer for 10 years, and I love the job, but the pay is less than stellar and I'm in a crunch financially that really can only be solved by bringing in more income.

That being said, I'd like to write a nice resume that isn't just taking a word template and fiddling with it for a while until I get something adequate.

Anyone have some suggestions on finding some self-help on the subject? I can't really afford to pay some professional resume place to write one for me.

XdDBi4F.jpg
PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
Beltaine on

• Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    I think different career paths tend to have different specific expectations, so if you're comfortable talking about the field you work in or hope to work in, that could be useful.

Generally, you want to put the most important things first, and work in reverse chronological order. I think it's pretty common practice to list your relevant skills first, so anyone reading your resume can assess whether you have what the employer needs. Use active language when describing your skills, work history, and any notable achievements. Use the same tense. If you work in a technical field, some jargon is fine, but use plain language when plain language gets the point across just as well.

• Options
    I'm a Network Admin for a public school system, but I also dabble in graphic design in my free time (no professional experience in it yet)

I'm thinking something that shows off me being techie along with being creative is in order.

Are the business card CD's with an e-resume still cool, or just a lame gimmick these days?

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    Resumes should include jobs, responsibilities, and accomplishments. Accomplishments should be distinct from responsibilities. It's not enough to hear your were responsible for closing... tell them you did it well!

Concentrate on content first, then worry about format and style.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    A lot of your approach depends on where you are applying. If it's a big company, remember that the people screening your resume are front-line HR staff looking for reasons to put yours aside. Avoid cutesy stuff like photographs or oddball colored paper that make you look flaky. Never list your salary requirements, no matter how much the job posting insists on it. As Serpent said, accentuate the positive. List the stuff you did well. Never badmouth an old boss or old job, no matter how much you hated it. Explain things clearly and with minimal verbiage. The hiring manager is going to be looking for the meaty stuff, especially if you have experience in a hard to come by skill that the manager is looking for.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    Should I try to limit myself to a single page? I've got a lot of info here and am worried that someone looking at it will go TL;DR

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    A two-page resume is fine. More than that and you're inching into CV territory.

One thing to keep in mind is that you don't necessarily need to put every accomplishment into your resume. Some might be universally applicable (university degree, recent work experience) while others will be more or less relevant depending on the job you're applying for.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Beltaine wrote:
    Should I try to limit myself to a single page? I've got a lot of info here and am worried that someone looking at it will go TL;DR

If it makes you sound good and it's relevant to the position you're applying for, include it. H.S. GPA - no. Saving your current company $50,000 - yes. Try to find industry keywords by searching through related job postings. You'll notice patterns pretty quickly.

Also yeah, don't bother with those CDs - 10/10 times you'll be sending something electronic to a site or email address anyway.

Some libraries or will have resume review sessions. Also search your area for job hunting groups; just try not to get depressed (though you still have a job).