As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blurry desktop display at 1600x1200

Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital ConquistadorLondonRegistered User regular
Hi folks,

Could use a hand. I have a 20" V7 S20PD TFTLCD monitor hooked up to a GTX580 via a VGA cable. I have always had a weird problem with the display on this thing - everything is slightly blurry. I get around it by employing an oddball custom resolution of 1400x1052, but I'm tired of having to use that and setting it up every time I upgrade my nvidia drivers.

Now, I just did upgrade my drivers trying to fix Deus Ex crashing (another problem - keeps crashing after you return to Sarif at the end of the first mission, any suggestions welcome), which didn't resolve the problem and gave me this stupid display error again.

This is what it looks like - text gives the best example, although it also affects graphics outside of gaming.

blurrytext.png

Anyone have any ideas?

p8fnsZD.png
Flippy_D on

• Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    Looks fine on my monitor ;-)
    Taking a picture of the screen, with an actual camera, would be more informative.

Have you messed around with the controls on the monitor? There should be an auto-adjust thing on there.
    Does it have a DVI input?

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    1400 x 1050 is the recommended rez for your monitor. It's not supposed to do 1600x1200.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Yeah, running at a higher res forces the image to be downscaled, at which point it won't look good.

• Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    Arse.

In this case, I have a problem. Rivatuner isn't working - the option to set custom res has vanished. Nvidia's own tool, meanwhile, is not adding custom resolutions - in addition, when I test the resolution (you test, then add), the font is still blurred.

What does that suggest to you guys? Bearing in mind I've run this thing pin-sharp for ages on 1400x1052. Oh, and putting it to that resolution doesn't fix it either, now.

No DVI output.

p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Sell the monitor and get a 24 inch 1980 x 1200?

• Options
    edited August 2011
    can't you just set the resolution in Windows? Right-click on desktop, etc.?

EDIT: Also yes, get a new monitor when you can. A 24-inch monitor can be had for under $200 on sale.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote:
    can't you just set the resolution in Windows? Right-click on desktop, etc.?

EDIT: Also yes, get a new monitor when you can. A 24-inch monitor can be had for under $200 on sale.

You have to have a resolution setting programmed in to Windows before you can select it using that method. What really doesn't make sense to me is why this is happening now. I know this monitor has nothing physically wrong with it and I know it's worked before.

I'd rather not spend more money upgrading if there's a chance to figure out what's up with this one.

p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Google the name of your monitor and see if anyone else has reported this problem; some TVs doing VGA input don't get it quite right all the time. I know for mine I physically have to ground a pin before I can make it report supported resolutions properly to OS X.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It's just that a GTX580 is capable of pushing so many pixels, it's almost a waste to have it running that resolution...

• Options
    It's just that a GTX580 is capable of pushing so many pixels, it's almost a waste to have it running that resolution...

Seriously, you shelled out for a $400+ video card but are too cheap for the monitor that actually makes that look good? Boo.

Reinstall rivatuner? Other than that no ideas, are there drivers for the monitor that would enable this resolution in Windows? What version of Windows are you running?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Sell your GTX 580 and spend the money on a 1920 monitor and a mid-range graphics card?