As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Scroll [Buttoneers] so good, like the butter on a muffin (Discount GET!)

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    alegria wrote:
    jonxp wrote:
    On a side note, I need to know what you guys think needs to be fixed about the Buttoneering site. I'm so glad so many of you guys liked it, but now I have a full year to come up with refinements to the user interface. The neat animated effects are fun, but they do not scale to the incredible number of buttons that everyone came up with. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Can you make it so I can see buttons and mark them for my collection on my iPad? I tried to do that last night - nothing loads on any of the pages other than the "My Buttons" page. Now, I have zero idea what is required to make this happen, so feel free to tell me that it's too hard and you're not going to do it. :D

That's kinda what I was talking about. It used to work on the iPad, but it has gotten so big, the iPad can actually run out of memory while trying to render the page! So I'm going to have to abandon the nifty animated interface for that reason.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • starfx6464starfx6464 Registered User regular
    jonxp wrote:
    Sorry I couldn't make the meetup, but my Enforcerly duties had me busy.

Instead, I give you this:
    IMG_20110828_112525.jpg

I'm saddened we never met up, but it looks like my button did, indeed, make it on the board (top row, 4th from the left). Hooray!

This was a great experience and I very much look forward to doing it again next year (hopefully more prepared). I haven't made an official count of buttons, but I gave out around 120 buttons so I suspect I have at least that many. I did go through them with my fiance and did notice I got about 3 or 4 dupes that I am sure was a result of the madness that was the Sunday meetup. I apologize profusely for taking more than my fair share. :)

Thank you all for helping me make this my best PAX yet!

PAX East 2015 3 Day Badge [✓]
  • alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    jonxp wrote:
    alegria wrote:
    jonxp wrote:
    On a side note, I need to know what you guys think needs to be fixed about the Buttoneering site. I'm so glad so many of you guys liked it, but now I have a full year to come up with refinements to the user interface. The neat animated effects are fun, but they do not scale to the incredible number of buttons that everyone came up with. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Can you make it so I can see buttons and mark them for my collection on my iPad? I tried to do that last night - nothing loads on any of the pages other than the "My Buttons" page. Now, I have zero idea what is required to make this happen, so feel free to tell me that it's too hard and you're not going to do it. :D

That's kinda what I was talking about. It used to work on the iPad, but it has gotten so big, the iPad can actually run out of memory while trying to render the page! So I'm going to have to abandon the nifty animated interface for that reason.

Ah ha, I understand now. I can build my own computer...but I have zero interest or aptitude for programming what goes on inside it! :) I'm planning to unpack my computer and set it back up tonight, so I can use the Buttoneer website then to mark off buttons. It's still on the handtruck that brought it home... >.<

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • starfx6464starfx6464 Registered User regular
    jonxp wrote:
    alegria wrote:
    jonxp wrote:

Don't be afraid to break up the collection into pages. Even on my main PC it takes a while to load and I'd be totally down with thumbing through pages to keep the load times down (and the load on the server, too). So maybe a maximum of 50 buttons per page? Even that may be a bit much but it might not be a bad number to start with.

PAX East 2015 3 Day Badge [✓]
    starfx6464 wrote:
    jonxp wrote:
    alegria wrote:
    jonxp wrote:

Don't be afraid to break up the collection into pages. Even on my main PC it takes a while to load and I'd be totally down with thumbing through pages to keep the load times down (and the load on the server, too). So maybe a maximum of 50 buttons per page? Even that may be a bit much but it might not be a bad number to start with.

So I made the interface expecting about 50 buttons, and an absolute max of 80. I based this off of what percent of folks here might actually want to go sign up for another site. I had no idea that so many folks would actually use it. The UI works great for as many buttons as I planned for, but we are at 217 buttons now!

By the way, you have until the end of September to add your PAX Prime Buttons to the site if you haven't yet. I will be removing the "PAX Prime 2011" as an option for an event when you want to add a new button at that time.

• courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    Cosmic Hippo - we didn't trade but I saved one of your buttons from a littery death outside the Paramount.

• etherealvisionetherealvision Registered User regular
    alegria wrote:
    I don't see my buttons anywhere on there :( I even took it to the enforcer up at BYOC. I gave them my buttons from last year too since I forgot to give them to them last year >.<

When did you take your buttons up there? I took the empty board and the bucket of buttons at about midnight on Saturday night and made the board in my hotel room, since my original cutoff time of 9am Sunday was not feasible. Also, did you put your buttons in the collection bucket? If you just handed them to someone, even an Enforcer, I have no idea where they went - that's why there was a labeled bucket. The only person whose buttons should not have gone into the bucket was BigRed, because his were too big to fit, and I personally got copies of his buttons from him for the board late on Saturday afternoon. Nobody else indicated they had buttons too big to fit into the bucket, so I did not look for anyone else.

Sorry your buttons didn't make it on the board. :(

I did it middle of the day Saturday. I didn't see the bucket though. I handed them to an enforcer who said he'd put them in. I even gave him some buttons for himself for helping me.

Oh well I guess. :(

Let there be games!
  • Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Who would like to join an organized 'remote' button swap??

I am hyper-anal about organization and love swaps/making lists. These primary facets of my personality had me considering a sorting/swapping systems for buttoneers who wish to fill holes in their collections. I know I do!

The generals:
    - Make a list in order of buttons you MOST WOULD LIKE to have filled in your collection. The list should be by username/title of button as shown on the buttoneering site. This way I can pull the correct buttons. Also, tell me how many of your buttons you're sending.
    - I'd need buttons shipped to me. However many buttons you mail me is how many you'll get back. IE you send me ten of your buttons, you get the first ten buttons from your list that I have available.
    - I would need your printed list with your name (real one) address and email/other online contact information, bag of YOUR buttons for the pool labeled by your buttoneering site username and the 'title' of your buttons

If you're interested in this please DM me by September 9th. Once I know how many of you are interested I can figure out a mail by date for buttons.

Please keep in mind I can only send you from your list if THAT PERSON joins too, so spread the word!!!!!!! Yes, I will ship wherever mail goes, nationwide/worldwide. No, if the postal service loses it I can't guarantee it'll be able to be replaced. Yes, I will insure/confirm delivery it if you like, but you'll have to DM me about PayPaling the cost of shipping at that point.

If it gets to ridiculous I may put up a chip-in for voluntary donations for shipping/packing materials with any overages (if there are any) going to Child's Play.

Menolly07 on
    Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Menolly07 wrote:
    I am hyper-anal about organization and love swaps/making lists. These primary facets of my personality had me considering a sorting/swapping systems for buttoneers who wish to fill holes in their collections. I know I do!

The generals:
    - Make a list in order of buttons you MOST WOULD LIKE to have filled in your collection. The list should be by username/title of button as shown on the buttoneering site. This way I can pull the correct buttons. Also, tell me how many of your buttons you're sending.
    - I'd need buttons shipped to me. However many buttons you mail me is how many you'll get back. IE you send me ten of your buttons, you get the first ten buttons from your list that I have available.
    - I would need your printed list with your name (real one) address and email/other online contact information, bag of YOUR buttons for the pool labeled by your buttoneering site username and the 'title' of your buttons

If you're interested in this please DM me by September 9th. Once I know how many of you are interested I can figure out a mail by date for buttons.

Please keep in mind I can only send you from your list if THAT PERSON joins too, so spread the word!!!!!!! Yes, I will ship wherever mail goes, nationwide/worldwide. No, if the postal service loses it I can't guarantee it'll be able to be replaced. Yes, I will insure/confirm delivery it if you like, but you'll have to DM me about PayPaling the cost of shipping at that point.

If it gets to ridiculous I may put up a chip-in for voluntary donations for shipping/packing materials with any overages (if there are any) going to Child's Play.

This is an amazing idea. Peasant Dave did this for cards at East and it worked wonderfully.

• SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    Yup, I love this idea. There were a few buttons that I really wanted to get my hands on but could never find. I made it to the meetup on Sunday but ran out - I did have about 10 buttons left behind at my hotel though. I would love to get in on some post-Pax swapping action.

• PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    zerzhul wrote:
    Menolly07 wrote:

The generals:

This is an amazing idea. Peasant Dave did this for cards at East and it worked wonderfully.

We can just meet in Boston this weekend. Piece of cake. ;)

I'd be willing to mail out buttons.

PeasantDave on
  • SvKSvK Registered User regular
    jonxp wrote:
    THAT IS AWESOME! We need to make sure your links are remembered in future buttoneering threads. You really got some excellent shots in there (even though you missed me, but I was likely very busy when you saw me anyway). I'd like to use some of them on the Buttoneering site, and I'll contact you separately to talk about that.

I'm glad you like them. PAX was hectic, so sometimes I forgot to ask for a photo, or the other buttoneer rushed off, or multiple buttoneers converged and trading multiple buttons consumed all my attention. So, yeah, I missed quite a few people. I normally photograph cosplayers, so photographing a more average cross-section of PAX attendees was interesting.

• LadyBeeLadyBee Vancouver BCRegistered User regular
    Had such a great time trading buttons with Everyone. It was super nice to hear the feedback on my buttons. -Hand made button buttons- Now I have a year to figure out what next years buttons will look like and what they will be made out of.

Dose anyone have a copy of the group picture?

Buttoneer
    Slytherin OotP HeadGirl.
    zerzhul wrote:
    Menolly07 wrote:

The generals:

I was going to suggest this as well. I'd be happy to help out on the west coast. :)

Rw4xnu6.png
    It is probably best, if this is going to happen, if a single person does the collection and mailing. The logistics will get very complicated if it's more than one.

Menolly07 wrote:

The generals:

If there is something I can do on the Buttoneering! site to make your job easier, let me know.

jonxp wrote:
    Menolly07 wrote:

The generals:

If there is something I can do on the Buttoneering! site to make your job easier, let me know.

Is it possible to look at someone's collection other than your own?

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    SvK wrote:
    jonxp wrote:
    THAT IS AWESOME! We need to make sure your links are remembered in future buttoneering threads. You really got some excellent shots in there (even though you missed me, but I was likely very busy when you saw me anyway). I'd like to use some of them on the Buttoneering site, and I'll contact you separately to talk about that.

I'm glad you like them. PAX was hectic, so sometimes I forgot to ask for a photo, or the other buttoneer rushed off, or multiple buttoneers converged and trading multiple buttons consumed all my attention. So, yeah, I missed quite a few people. I normally photograph cosplayers, so photographing a more average cross-section of PAX attendees was interesting.

You took my photo but I don't see it on the site.

I must be below the ugly bar.

OrokosPA.png
  • EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    jonxp wrote:

I tried to update my collection a few times throughout the weekend on the app and got a few 'database locked' errors. I didn't really have time to update the website, but I didn't notice it syncing very well last I checked on Sunday night.
    But it was very neat to be able to see the ones I was trying to hunt down, even if i didn't get the 'Alton Brown is my personal savior' button.

3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
    zerzhul wrote:
    jonxp wrote:
    Menolly07 wrote:

The generals:

Is it possible to look at someone's collection other than your own?

I intentionally left that out for a couple reasons. One is to prevent it from becoming a "game" where there is no way to verify that anyone actually collected any buttons. Another is to allow people to use the site however they want...not everyone is going to want to have their button collection open, or even use it to mark any buttons as collected at all.

I may implement a "private link" function to allow you to bypass the restrictions, but I don't think I'll be opening up collections as public by default.

Enigmas wrote:
    jonxp wrote:

I tried to update my collection a few times throughout the weekend on the app and got a few 'database locked' errors. I didn't really have time to update the website, but I didn't notice it syncing very well last I checked on Sunday night.
    But it was very neat to be able to see the ones I was trying to hunt down, even if i didn't get the 'Alton Brown is my personal savior' button.

The Android app is pretty terrible. I'll completely own that. I tried to make it quickly, and took a shortcut I'd never tried before. It went terribly.

Next year it will be better, or I'll have the site itself be more mobile friendly. For sure.

• Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    JonXP, your app was so easy to use. The first time I opened it, it took forever, but I had assumed it would because of the number of buttons there were. The big reason I really wanted to do the remote swap was because I saw how many I didn't have.

The only thing I'd say that would be helpful on the site, and this is also for future swaps, would be a "shopping list" option. Unless it's there already, and I just missed it. There's already seven-eight folks jumping on this, so that's awesome. There's definitely interest. I am checking if I should be making a new thread for the remote swap separately, if I do it would be super helpful to add a link to it on your site, I think.

Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    <3 Buttoneers. I was having a hellva time finding other people because of all the crazy amounts of buttons exhibitors were giving out, but the meetup was SUPER AMAZING and I think I traded away over 100 buttons in less than half an hour. The whole thing was really fun and I can't wait to do it next year.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    Did the Button Board ever make it to the signing? Did anyone get a photo of it?

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Did the Button Board ever make it to the signing? Did anyone get a photo of it?
    jonxp wrote:
    Sorry I couldn't make the meetup, but my Enforcerly duties had me busy.

Instead, I give you this:
    IMG_20110828_112525.jpg

jCyyTSo.png
  • DannicusDannicus [E] Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Whilst doing my Enforcer duties I was moving some things to be shuttled back to the PA office, one of them being the board with all the buttons on it. I of course snapped a photo. It may be my favorite piece of "Swag" from PAX this year.

Also, I am totally down for the button swap.

• AlatheiaAlatheia Registered User regular
    For those curious about the little pile of 15ish buttons we had at the BYOC desk after the board had already been delivered... I took them and put them on the board Sunday evening around 9pm. So all the buttons that were dropped off made it onto the board before it left PAX.

• YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    I have posted photos on Facebook, including Buttoneers meetup (group photo!), the Train trip, and the Lando Society inducting G&T.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150292078504165.353598.659889164&l=170cb8df24&type=1

I have more of the heraldry Buttoneers buttons if someone didn't get them. Menolly, let me know if there's a request for them and I'll see about sending them to you for swapping. I got to most people, based on the buttons I marked off and the amount I have left.

We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Menolly, I will participate in the remote button swap... I'll follow your instructions later on, but I'm in!

jonxp - What would be cool is to see how many collections your OWN button is in. I agree that seeing other collections is meh, but I'm interested in how many of mine made it to actual buttoneers (I gave away a lot to non-buttoneers)

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    edited August 2011
    Two comments from my last hour of marking off buttons on the site...
    -I can't use the "Show Uncollected" filter for some reason. I'm running Firefox on Windows XP.
    -Could you put a total on the "Collections" page? It'd be nice to know how many of the 186 buttons I collected are marked as such on the page. :)

For the mail-in button swap, I have a suggestion. Each person that mails in buttons should also mail in the packaging for returning buttons to them, complete with postage or money for such. For example, I took part in an online quilt fabric swap, and the organizer had everyone send her a Priority Mail envelope preaddressed back to the sender, along with $5 to pay for the postage. Other alternatives could be sending a bubble package and including a replacement address label and postage (to reuse the package), sending a small box with address label and money for postage, and so on. That would make it much easier on Menolly and ensure she doesn't inadvertently get stiffed on postage. Your friendly local post office should be able to help you with postage - just buy double what they tell you you need.

Oh yeah, and one other thing I thought of! How many people would be interested in a 6" version of the Buttoneering crest? I would be willing to order these and front the cost for next year, and sell them at cost to Buttoneers next year (I can't quite manage to pay for 250 6" buttons on my own...). I'm afraid I've lost a few buttons from my bag this year (sad...) and I think it would be much easier to simply have a giant Buttoneers button there instead!

(edit)
    After going through my buttons, I have three triples that I'll send in with mine for the button trade. Hopefully someone will want them. :) Singles are all mine, doubles were for my husband (whose button is the other square border collie button), and I have no idea how I ended up with a couple of triples, so I'll pass them on!

alegria on
    Rw4xnu6.png
    akjak wrote:
    Menolly, I will participate in the remote button swap... I'll follow your instructions later on, but I'm in!

jonxp - What would be cool is to see how many collections your OWN button is in. I agree that seeing other collections is meh, but I'm interested in how many of mine made it to actual buttoneers (I gave away a lot to non-buttoneers)

Good idea. While I try to figure out how to present that, here's a couple of ways to find out manually...

One way is to go to your buttons page (click the link on the button "card") and it will tell you how many are estimated to be remaining. This represents the number that you said you ordered minus the number that said they collected it.

Another is to take that same URL (in your case: http://buttoneering.org/buttons/30) and add ".json" to the end (http://buttoneering.org/buttons/30.json) and look at "collections_count".
    alegria wrote:
    Two comments from my last hour of marking off buttons on the site...
    -I can't use the "Show Uncollected" filter for some reason. I'm running Firefox on Windows XP.
    -Could you put a total on the "Collections" page? It'd be nice to know how many of the 186 buttons I collected are marked as such on the page. :)

1. Fixed! Thanks for the bug report, don't know how I missed that. It wasn't working on any browsers since I change I made on Sunday.
    2. I'll see what I can do about fitting that in with the new collections UI I'm planning.

• courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    I only got around 100, a few more if you count the dupes. I think I only gave away 3 before the button meetup though. I just wasn't finding anyone, it's why I made the giant helvetica Buttoneer. button for my bag after the first day. Still didn't work. Whomever ended up with that button, it's limited edition 1 of 1!

Here's my haul : http://www.flickr.com/photos/courtneyjohnston/6101901489/

edited September 2011
    I'd say I found maybe a dozen people before the meetup?

I also cheated and put a lot of buttons on my BYOC area right next to the front entrance so any BYOC buttoneers easily saw it and traded with me. So I got about 20 ish that way.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • weewee Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Some stats:

After going through the 110 buttons I collected, I found 26 that were not on http://buttoneering.org

not-on-buttoneering.jpg
    Y U no join buttoneering.org?

I somehow ended up with 3 doubles (I can send these back for the remote swap.)

I gave away 111 main buttons and 72 bonus buttons. I wasn't particularly sociable, but I did give buttons to anyone who wanted one, not just those who had buttons to trade.

Next time I may make slightly bigger buttons (I had the smallest size possible) so they won't be eclipsed by BigRed's monster buttons.

I will gladly send in some of my own buttons for the remote swap, but I don't intend to complete my collection this way because I see my small incomplete collection as a memento of who I've actually met in real life.

wee on
  • etherealvisionetherealvision Registered User regular
    I joined buttoneering.org. I uploaded my designs as well! I missed a few buttons I wanted this year really bad. Such as the ant eater one, the pokemon ones and a few others.

Let there be games!
  • psychopezpsychopez Registered User regular
    If the woman who received my Big Red Combustible Lemon button during the buttoneer meetup reads the forums, could you please publicly post here?

Those not in the know, after Big Red ran out of Combustible Lemon, someone came up to me wanting my copy of it, offering to trade plenty of other buttons. I could have said it's mine, and I'm sorry, but that didn't feel in the spirit of PAX. So I gave it to her, only asking that she pay this favor forward, and that she try to make sure that favor is paid forward, and that next year at PAX she had to tell me the good that had spread forward.

And then I forgot to get her name, forum or real...oops.

So please, come forward, so we all can know what good deeds have and will spawn from a single oversized button.

And I'm also compiling the list of all the responses to my bonus button question (What is the most emotional response you've ever had from a video game), they're across 3 notebooks right now, and I'll post them up when it's done.

“Myth is the hidden part of every story, the buried part, the region that is still unexplored because there are as yet no words to enable us to get there."

-Italo Calvino
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    wee wrote:
    Some stats:

After going through the 110 buttons I collected, I found 26 that were not on http://buttoneering.org

I take claim of the three Starter Pokemons. Those were specifically (and intentionally not posted on the Buttoneering site) for anyone who played Pokemon with me either casually or for the PAX Pokemon League. However, running out of my regular button (on the website and my avatar to the left o'er there) I offered at the last minute the complete set of the Starters.

The two Contre's were previous years' buttons.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    wee wrote:

Because.

Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
    jonxp - I had to log out and back in, but the filtering works now. Thanks! :)

Yeah, I've got about 20-30 buttons that aren't showing up on the buttoneering.org site, but at least two more designs that I have were uploaded since last night. So if you want to upload your design, please do so! It's really nice to have a username to go with the button, especially if no username is displayed directly on the button itself.

Definitely quite a few that I want...and I've found at least two that I *know* I had but aren't in my collection, so I think I lost them. Sigh...

Rw4xnu6.png
    MarySue wrote:
    wee wrote:

Because.
    some are from previous years and not 2011 pax prime

jCyyTSo.png