As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gunstringer Demo out - someone with Kinect report back plzkthx

DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Games and Technology
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/The-Gunstringer/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5389e9

No Kinect here, but I love what Twisted Pixel has done before so I wanna know how this turned out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gunstringer

the-gunstringer-boxart.jpg

Deusfaux on

• fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Downloading demo, too late to play this now, going to cowboy it up in RDR instead, but will try it in the morning and post impressions for ya!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i played this at PAX east, it's quite fun. the shooting mechanics take some getting used to but once you figure out the best hand motion it's pretty engaging. jumping and moving with the left hand is very intuitive and fells right.
    it's fairly repetitive but then again i only played the first level and boss. i'll be buying it eventually, especially if i see a good deal on it.

• NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    I finished both "levels" of the demo last night. Pretty fun, but not worth more than $20 (which I'm sure it will be) so I'm kinda on the fence about it. I guess it depends on how long the game is. The two demo levels have a lot of variety to them, though.

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Lol it's a full retail title, Neural. Was supposed to be an xbla game but they decided they didn't want it to sell after all .

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    "full retail" is correct, but $40 is still cheaper than the norm. if you wanted, you could sell the fruit ninja kinect code and get close to $10 back. or you can just wait a month or two and it will be $20.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Tried to play it at PAX East but they kept letting people with media badges cut in line. I waited about an hour while two guys jumped in and played and played and played. Not to hold a grudge - but I do :)

I'll have to try the demo tonight - they're one of my favorite developers.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    It's okay. I honestly don't see how it would have enough content for $40 just playing the demo. But of course it's a demo so maybe there's more to it.

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    "full retail" is correct, but $40 is still cheaper than the norm. if you wanted, you could sell the fruit ninja kinect code and get close to $10 back. or you can just wait a month or two and it will be $20.

Yeah this game screams "Amazon Deal Of The Day" about 3 weeks after it releases...

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote:

Yeah this game screams "Amazon Deal Of The Day" about 3 weeks after it releases...

Sadly enough, you're probably right. That box looks like it'll turn off both the Halo crowd and the casual Kinect crowd. Too bad, since this is one of the few Kinect games that looks to go out on a limb and try something different.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    OK just tried the demo and forced my girl to play it too.

I love, love, love the Twisted Pixel humour and setting, but although good fun, the actual gameplay seems a touch shallow.

I had several genuine belly laughs from even the small sample presented in the demo, so will be totally buying the game, not sure how much replay value it may hold though, depends how complex later levels become.

Shooting works really well though.

Watching my girl play this was interesting. Using both arms for such different movements didn't come natually to her - using horizontal and vertical axis on left arm to steer / jump while accurately aiming and pew-pewing with right arm gave her trouble. At one point she kinda gave up and just waved her arms around in the air, which isn't ideal! Don't think she got the humour either, LOL. She still kicks arse at EDF and Rock Band though.

fragglefart.jpg
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    This seems like the "Killer App" for Kinect. I decided to go ahead and get the Kinect sensor to play it. The "Rise of Nightmares" seems good as well, but I will wait for it to drop in price.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Tried to play it at PAX East but they kept letting people with media badges cut in line. I waited about an hour while two guys jumped in and played and played and played. Not to hold a grudge - but I do :)

I'll have to try the demo tonight - they're one of my favorite developers.

Hmm. Yeah. That kind of defeats the point of PAX. That stuff should only happen a E3. Sometimes, I think they should exclude the press from it or at least not give them perks like that.

Krathoon on