As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NYC/NJ] hangout thread: so, what are you doing this weekend?

• Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote:
    Okay, time to revive this thread for some dungeons and dragons action.

There is apparently some interest in getting a 4th edition game happening in the NYC/NJ area, and I would not mind running one at all.

So, with that said... so long as someone has a place to handle 4-6 players plus me that would be willing to host us for 4-6 three to five hour long nights over the course of a month or two, I would love to run something.

Having done the epically long games back in the day and largely getting them out of my system, I am a much bigger fan of high action, high drama games that have a logical beginning, middle and endgame, and take place over about 5 sessions.

That way, it never gets tedious, and I can do a great deal of planning in advance to make sure everyone has something fun to do, and something relevant for their characters, and tie it all together without having to go all LOST on it because it went on for too long.

Hey so I just put into motion a potential dark sun 4e game for two of the NYC/NJ people (as well as some people I know) last night. I would like to play anything though, since I almost always DM all the time forever into infinity forever.

3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Excellent; as someone who used to DM all the damn time, playing is always a joy.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    So I'm planning on coming to NYC for the first time ever on the 10th (a week from this coming saturday)

i have always wanted to hang out with d&d NYC peeps. anyone interested in doing any hanging out on that saturday, or the 11th?

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I can do that saturday after 6ish, have to work til then, I assume most folks are available Saturday afternoon though. Anywhere in particular you want to go in the city?

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I can do that saturday after 6ish, have to work til then, I assume most folks are available Saturday afternoon though. Anywhere in particular you want to go in the city?

i have never been to NYC. I guess i don't really know what to do there. Thought about seeing Rockefellar center, and maybe times square, and metropolitan museum of art. I'm sure there are other awesome things that i'm either forgetting or not aware of.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular

i have never been to NYC. I guess i don't really know what to do there. Thought about seeing Rockefellar center, and maybe times square, and metropolitan museum of art. I'm sure there are other awesome things that i'm either forgetting or not aware of.

I can probably hang out that Saturday afternoon. Right now my weekend schedules have been a bit wonky, though with proper planning I'm sure I can meet somewhere in the city. The museums are all pretty awesome, but also tend to eat up large portions of your time.

There's also always karaoke! :bz

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    THERE IS NEVER KARAOKE!

stupid bee

• Options
    Deebaser wrote:
    THERE IS NEVER KARAOKE!

stupid bee

So says Dee "Actually, I Love Karaoke" Baser

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    how i maek d and d mans

i need dice right

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular

The Met will take you the better part of the day unless you rush through it or have very specific tastes in art.

It's also a much better way to spend a day than going to Times Square, if you ask me.

• Options
    Gooey wrote:
    how i maek d and d mans

i need dice right

D&D mans aren't too difficult to make, especially in 4e. The builder helps a lot, but you need a D&D Insider account to make use of it, unfortunately.

And yeah, dice might be handy. I'd be happy to loan you a set whenever we play, though if you want to pick out your own you might consider dropping by the Compleat Strategist on 33rd whenever you get the chance.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    I really need to spend some time here on the weekends that there isn't a hurricane.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    neato that is like a few blocks away from my place

what kind of dice to i need and how many?

d6 d10 and d20 for sure, right?

is there anything i need to look out for when making a character so to not screw myself?

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Gooey wrote:
    neato that is like a few blocks away from my place

what kind of dice to i need and how many?

d6 d10 and d20 for sure, right?

is there anything i need to look out for when making a character so to not screw myself?

They sell little boxes with a full set of dice (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, and a percentile...d% I guess?), which will be all you need as far as that goes. Spares are fun to have as well, because rolling lots of dice is better than rolling one at a time, but that's totally optional. Prices can widely vary, depending on the set.

If you use the builder it's pretty tough to screw up a character. Usually you can go with whatever sounds coolest to you and you can have a good time playing.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    TomeWyrm wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:
    THERE IS NEVER KARAOKE!

stupid bee

vile lies. karaoke is horrible.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Knowing Deebaser the way we do, he will turn up to d&D night with a level 25 paladin*

*nexus's joke

"guys this nerd shit is lame. Here's my character sheet, he's my backup paladin"

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2011
    I will be bringing my "sack o' dice" when we run if you don't have access to any.

I will need a week or two to get ready, of course.

I am going to try and show up to nexus' thing tonight, maybe figure out what kind of game folks want to play while ruining shit or watching a movie.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    TomeWyrm wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:
    THERE IS NEVER KARAOKE!

stupid bee

vile lies. karaoke is horrible.

I have photographic evidence

• Options
    I have a video somewherre where Dee is saying just how much trouble he is in at the end of me belting out some Cee Loo Green.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    I think this thread is just for NYC and PATHable Jersey.

Its not like NJ is so big that its not unreasonable for someone to be outside of those areas either. I'm less about an hour from any of those locales, and I'm down near Princeton.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Are we supposed to have a dude premade or is it okay to make one there? I don't really know what the fuck about D&D.

• Options
    Again, to be super clear; not playing D&D for at least another week; I want to figure out how many people are interested, what setting to run, draft up my campaign, get maps and such, and figure out how to balance my game against what folks are playing.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    syndalis wrote:
    Again, to be super clear; not playing D&D for at least another week; I want to figure out how many people are interested, what setting to run, draft up my campaign, get maps and such, and figure out how to balance my game against what folks are playing.

so we are playing d&d tomorrow then cool dogg

JOHNSON MASTERSON IS READY TO RUMBLE

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:

Its not like NJ is so big that its not unreasonable for someone to be outside of those areas either. I'm less about an hour from any of those locales, and I'm down near Princeton.

Oh I don't think anyone would care if a PAer showed up who was a bit further away. Just that most events would be organized in that area, rather than us meeting up in The Oranges or Ho-Ho-Kus or Casual Eddy's place (wait...).

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:

You're on the same NJTransit line so it counts

Also this is totes for all of Jersey folk too

I believe Drez mentioned something about Atlantic City once

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    We don't discriminate! Even if south jerz is sort of weird. I am just forgetful and haven't updated the master list in a while, I can do that tonight.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    yeah south jersey people if you can get to newark I am close enough to pick you up for anything in northern NJ.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    RedTide wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean "fuck off, southies" so much as most activites discussed here (so far) have been mostly centered around NYC/JC/Hoboken (in order of obvious awesomeness).

All are welcome, even outsiders (once they pass the mandatory probation period and face the trial of the sewer beasts.)

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Variable wrote:
    yeah south jersey people if you can get to newark I am close enough to pick you up for anything in northern NJ.

Getting to Newark is easy.

Getting out of Newark is an entirely different matter.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    One just doesn't walk out of Newark.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Deebaser wrote:
    RedTide wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean "fuck off, southies" so much as most activites discussed here (so far) have been mostly centered around NYC/JC/Hoboken (in order of obvious awesomeness).

All are welcome, even outsiders (once they pass the mandatory probation period and face the trial of the sewer beasts.)

trial 1: tell us one horrible thing about tourists

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Trial #3 win an argument with a hobo

Trial #7 Convince a hipster to enjoy something earnestly

Trial #8 make it from Van Cortland Park to Coney Island while being pursued by street toughs that look like batman henchmen

Trial #12 clear the NSF terrorists from liberty Island

Trial #24 obtain a cursed monkey paw from the strange elderly couple that run the liquor store near nexus's apt.

Trial #53 win a knife fight with a hobo

Deebaser on
  • Options
    priceless
    priceless!

That cursed monkey paw has been in their family for generations
    ever since they bought it in a tacky souvenir shop in Naples

• Options
    Today I went to MoMA.

SO. MANY. HIPSTER. ART. STUDENTS.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Gooey wrote:
    Today I went to MoMA.

If that hurt you, you should see the crowds at the New Museum.

That place is the very definition of art republicans hate (tm)

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Gooey wrote:
    Today I went to MoMA.

And now you know what my job is like
    except instead of just gawking at art they have questions
    And omg what do you mean there is no nontoxic clear casting resin, my treacher said you know everything

PLEASE JUST DIE IN A FIRE
    An eco friendly fire
    an organic free range fire
    But still a fire

• Options
    FEAR GOOEY THE CONQUEROR
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Gooey, level 1
    Human, Barbarian
    Feral Might Option: Rageblood Vigor
    Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power
    Berserker - Follower of Kord (+2 to Perception)
    Theme: Uthgardt Barbarian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    STR 20, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 11

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    STR 18, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 11

AC: 14 Fort: 18 Ref: 12 Will: 11
    HP: 29 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Athletics +9, Endurance +6, Intimidate +5, Perception +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics –1, Arcana +0, Bluff +0, Diplomacy +0, Dungeoneering –1, Heal –1, History +0, Insight –1, Nature –1, Religion +0, Stealth –1, Streetwise +0, Thievery –1

POWERS
    Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
    Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
    Uthgardt Barbarian Utility: Thunder Stomp
    Barbarian Feature: Swift Charge
    Barbarian Attack 1: Foe to Foe
    Barbarian Attack 1: Devastating Strike
    Barbarian Attack 1: Howling Strike
    Barbarian Attack 1: Avalanche Strike
    Barbarian Attack 1: Bloodhunt Rage

FEATS
    Level 1: Human Perseverance
    Level 1: Deadly Rage

ITEMS
    Hide Armor x1
    Adventurer's Kit
    Greataxe x1
    ====== End ======

so did i do good for a person whos understanding of d&d is limited to the PA podcasts

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Gooey wrote:
    FEAR GOOEY THE CONQUEROR
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Gooey, level 1
    Human, Barbarian
    Feral Might Option: Rageblood Vigor
    Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power
    Berserker - Follower of Kord (+2 to Perception)
    Theme: Uthgardt Barbarian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    STR 20, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 11

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    STR 18, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 11

AC: 14 Fort: 18 Ref: 12 Will: 11
    HP: 29 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Athletics +9, Endurance +6, Intimidate +5, Perception +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics –1, Arcana +0, Bluff +0, Diplomacy +0, Dungeoneering –1, Heal –1, History +0, Insight –1, Nature –1, Religion +0, Stealth –1, Streetwise +0, Thievery –1

POWERS
    Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
    Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
    Uthgardt Barbarian Utility: Thunder Stomp
    Barbarian Feature: Swift Charge
    Barbarian Attack 1: Foe to Foe
    Barbarian Attack 1: Devastating Strike
    Barbarian Attack 1: Howling Strike
    Barbarian Attack 1: Avalanche Strike
    Barbarian Attack 1: Bloodhunt Rage

FEATS
    Level 1: Human Perseverance
    Level 1: Deadly Rage

ITEMS
    Hide Armor x1
    Adventurer's Kit
    Greataxe x1
    ====== End ======

so did i do good for a person whos understanding of d&d is limited to the PA podcasts

Looks pretty solid to me. Nothing seems missing and this guy will definitely succeed at hitting things often and hard, which is the job of a striker. Only thing to keep in mind is that with a low AC you're going to get hit a lot as well. Sort of like a heavyweight with a glass jaw.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2011
    I'd be interested in playing 4th, mostly because I never have (I play Pathfinder). What's the status of the game/do you have room for another player? I'm in Brooklyn and can make it anywhere in NYC.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Oh BTW, I know this is a rarity, but when I said I'd be down for some tabletopping, I meant just me. Allie would not be interested.

SHOCKING!