As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Borderlands!

MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNBREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
edited September 2011 in Social Entropy++
borderlands_box_full.jpg

It’s a Diablo-esque game where you shoot dudes, level up, get tons of guns, and repeat! It’s pretty damned good. Despite this description.

So what’s it about? Well, you’re silly if you play Borderlands for the thin story it has, but basically you play one of four mercenaries hunting for the vault on the backwater planet of Pandora. What’s in the vault is unknown, but it’s rumored to be amazing!

And these vault hunters?

Roland_borderlands.jpg

Roland is probably the most ‘shootery’ of the hunters. A former Crimson Lance mercenary, his special ability is to throw out a gun turret. Said turret can be altered to do things like heal yourself and nearby allies, regenerate ammo for everyone in its area of effect, or just shoot guys harder and faster. Roland’s probably the dude to play through the game singleplayer because of this, and additionally because some of his skills give him passive ammo regeneration and insane clip size increases.

Mordecai_the_Hunter.jpg

Mordecai is the sniper of the foursome. His special ability is his pet Rakk, Bloodwing, which he can periodically throw out to assault enemies. Bloodwing can also do things like heal damage to you with damage it deals, cause enemies to drop more items upon death, and attack more often. I play Mordecai on the 360, he’s really a lot of fun, though kind of tough to solo with sometimes.

borderlands-lilith.jpg

Lilith! I have never played as Lilith so I don’t know much about her, but apparently people say she’s the best character or something. Her ability is phasewalking, where she turns invisible and runs really fast, and when she turns visible again she explodes in a burst of elemental energy. Said energy can be changed/enhanced through skill points, I guess.
images.jpg

And then there’s Brick. Who’s a big lumbering guy who can go berserk and punch a bunch of dudes. I think he’s widely agreed upon to be the least effective character, but I don’t know. He seems like he’d be interesting to play once you get him up in level, at least.

So I’ve finished this game and I want more, is there?

But of course! Since Borderlands came out nearly two years ago, Gearbox was kind enough to bless us with four (mostly) good DLC packs!

Zombie_Island_of_Dr._Ned_logo.png

The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned takes place in Jakobs’ Cove, a mysterious little island on Pandora. Something has gone wrong, wrong enough to infect the entire population with a zombie virus. Also, there’s wereskags. Wereskags, people.

Mad_Moxxi%27s_Underdome_Riot_logo.png

Mad Moxxi’s Underground Riot is basically Gearbox’s version of Horde mode from Gears of War, Firefight from Halo, and so on. Only it’s not really that fun to play, since the competitions take way too long and you get no experience or anything from the fights. This also added item banks, which is really the main reason to get the DLC (though still not at full price). Still, I want to finish this on the 360 sometime so I can get the achievements.

The_Secret_Armory_of_General_Knoxx_logo.png

This is possibly the best DLC in my opinion. Continuing the ‘story’ after the main game (though this contains roughly ten times the amount of story that was in the main game), you have to defeat the Crimson Lance once and for all, and fight General Knoxx! Only thing annoying about this DLC is the amount of driving you have to do, since driving in Borderlands is pretty boring and awkward.

CNRR_Logo.png

Claptrap’s gone nuts and has turned all the other Claptraps against humanity! You have to stop him! That's about all I can say without spoiling anything about the end of Borderlands! But it's a decent DLC!

Anyway, the reason I made this thread is because I want to play it with people, and hopefully people aren’t utterly sick of playing this game and would like to play it as well. I’ll be keeping a list of who has the game and for what system, so if you folks would be kind enough to list your system and gamertag/username/whatever, I’ll add it to the list. Also, if you can, list what characters you’re playing and their levels, so we can more easily find people of comparable level to us.

PC:

Moriveth - Moriveth (30-ish Soldier)
Houk - Houk (18 Siren)
Yukira - NotDrWily - Siren
FlatEric - TheMrDomino
MrMonroe - MrMonroe
Huntera - Huntera
Melding - Melding
Nikolai - Phoberhomie (Phoberomy on Gamespy)
#pipe - hash_pipe
vorprostein - dmVopro
TrippyJing - TrippyJing
Dubh - Dubh
Shorty - ???
Mysst - Mysst
Goose! - g0oseyourself
Man of The Waves - BuckarooHoliday
Doctor Fink - doctor_fink

Xbox 360:

Moriveth (47 Hunter)
Yukira - ModelZ - Siren
Raijin Quickfoot - RaijinQ
Artreus - Atlanticus
EidolonOrpheus - iyanden
Legba - WorldClassHack
Man of The Waves - BuckarooHoliday

PS3:

peen - anonymous_burn

Moriveth on

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I just picked up all the DLC for 75% off during the Steam sale, but it turns out that after bringing my hard drive back from Japan and setting up a new desktop last month, all my saves are gone

Sooo I've been playing through all over again, currently rocking an 18 Lilith. Also can't wait for Borderlands 2!

Hit me up on PC (Houk) if you got nothing better to do

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    We haven't built a giant impenetrable wall to close off our border yet?

How long must we stand by while our sacred lands are molested by the Canadian hordes?

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I hate playing this game by myself. so I've started playing with people like 3 or 4 times now.

We marathon up to moe and marley and then stop forever.

Every

single

time

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i have this on pc. the name is Melding.

• Options
    Also claptrap is not nearly as hilarious and fun as the people who made borderlands seem to think he is

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Thing about Brick, is if you get Blood Sport maxed out, he just rarely dies.

Personally though, Lilith has been a lot of fun to play as and is my go-to character.

360: ModelZ - Siren
    PC: NotDrWily - Siren

Although due to some hardware issues, my PC game is stuck at level 1.

Yukira on
  • Options
    Artreus wrote: »
    I hate playing this game by myself. so I've started playing with people like 3 or 4 times now.

Every

single

time

Maybe if you showed up to the next agreed upon meeting this would stop happening.

• Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    I've got a bunch of characters

Been getting the itch to start another one yet again, Mordecai this time. Only revolvers, gunslinger class mod.

Because I always start over with a new character, I still haven't beat this.

S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I got this on PC during a Steam sale and would love to play with you guys rather than random level 60 people who show up, wipe out the boss I've been working on while I respawn, grab all the loot and then throw it on the ground at my feet

it's not as bad as a cat bringing you a dead bird with a "look what I got you!" look

anyway I think my character is level 21ish and a soldier

would like to try some of the other classes, though. Who wants to start a level one game?

edit:

find me this way

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I just picked up the GOTY recently. I've got a 20-something character from when I owned the game before but I haven't played in ages. I'd be willing to get some action in at oem time.

360 - RaijinQ

If you try to add me and it says my list is full just message me and I'll get rid of somebody.

• Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah my gamespy ID is TheMrDomino.

S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    My steam ID is Huntera (I think the gamespy one is Verflutche

I have to start over because I don't feel like copying over save games from my old hard drive.

• Options
    @Moriveth

There's a few cover spots you can duck behind and get the timing down for the vehicle during that arena quest. I'd watch the radar, pop up, fire a rocket, duck back down and wait until it came back around. It would blow up a nice distance away and the cover would block any debris.

• Options
    Melding wrote:

Every

single

time

Maybe if you showed up to the next agreed upon meeting this would stop happening.

Okay well that time I was just really busy and could not start playing at 1:30am.

The other times the people just never got back together

I own it on PC and xboxk

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    I really hope the sequel drops Gamespy.

Every time I play about 15 minutes in the connection drops and I have to sit still for a few seconds reconnecting as some badass fireskag mauls me and then when I get back in the voice chat is bugged.

In fact, re-do the voice chat too. Push to talk will always be better than having an always on mic.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    i've beaten it twice. get a better schedule.

• Options
    Melding wrote:

Yeah? Well you get a better face

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    I bought the GOTY edition during the summer sale and have been playing solo for a while my dude is a 41( I think) soldier. Steamid is Phoberhomie and my gamespy thing for this is Phoberomy.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    Melding wrote:

i'm hoping to! but surgery ain't cheap.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I had this on 360 but I don't have X-box live, so I picked the GOTY edition up on Steam and am playing through it again.

Level 30(ish) Hunter, just beat Krom.

Umm Gamespy ID is Halos_Nach_Tariff I think.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i have played this to fucking death

my siren has the best possible legit smg (max damage max rof steel anarchy) with the best scope

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I've only ever played solo. Beat it twice on PS3 when I borrowed my bro's copy, once with Mordecai and once with Lilith.

Mordecai was infinitely more fun for me.

Some lovely person gifted me GOTY edition on Steam so I'd love to try out the multi on a fresh game with a new Mordecai?

• Options
    roland is my favourite character because he is a crazy good party player

• Options
    cauterize + a rocket launcher is good for a clutch party heal

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Dudes someone else play on the ps3 with meeeeee

id=anonymous_burn

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Thread's been updated with people's info! Also @#pipe, I need your steamid!

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    Melding wrote:

i'm hoping to! but surgery ain't cheap.

Whirp I'm dumb. Kisses.

• Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    Got this game on PC. Name is dmVopro.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I really hope the sequel drops Gamespy.

Every time I play about 15 minutes in the connection drops and I have to sit still for a few seconds reconnecting as some badass fireskag mauls me and then when I get back in the voice chat is bugged.

In fact, re-do the voice chat too. Push to talk will always be better than having an always on mic.

When asked this question at PAX, the person apparently said "What's Gamespy?" and it is Steamworks, so I assume they are doing something else.

Add me as fencingsax, people!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Oh man, I haven't touched this in a while.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Borderlands 2: Now with MPlayer support

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Borderlands 2: Now with QSpy support

• Options
    TrippyJing wrote:
    Oh man, I haven't touched this in a while.

That is what she said

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    I heard somewhere recently that Borderlands is steamworks now...

• Options
    It is, so I bet Borderlands 2 will be Steamworks as well.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I liked this game a lot and I wish I could have time to get to level 50

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote:
    Thread's been updated with people's info! Also @#pipe, I need your steamid!

Oh shoot

it's hash_pipe

• Options
    Steam id - Dr. Wily the other one is the GameSpy ID.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Oh, I've got a level 15ish hunter (Mordecai).

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I play as TrippyJing

b1ehrMM.gif