As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tea - The last great bastion of Britishness

1101112131416»

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote:
    I've heard chamomile is good but whether thats just an old-wives-tale I'm not sure.

It seems to work for me, but it could be all in my head.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Yukira wrote:
    Liiya wrote:
    I've heard chamomile is good but whether thats just an old-wives-tale I'm not sure.

It seems to work for me, but it could be all in my head.

Even if it doesn't work it's damn delicious and should be tried anyway.

JtgVX0H.png
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    aw, i like the Greys. and both English and Irish Breakfast. :( admittedly, i do like to add sugar and/or milk (like tonight's cup!), but i'll drink them black, too.

in her travels, my sister bought for me some Spanish tea that i have, shamefully, yet to try. incidentally, if anyone runs across 'Noches de Grenada'(sic), please let me know what's in it. i'm going to finally try Alhambra in the morning; "Black tea blend with bits of almond, cinnamon, orange peel and safflower and malva flowers. Intense aroma and rounded taste."

e: oh, uh, chamomile is more for a calming effect. if you want good throat stuff, look for slippery elm, marshmallow root and licorice root as ingredients. also, instead of using cough drops, consider sucking on a hard candy; it encourages saliva production just as well (to lubricate the throat [heh]), but since your throat isn't numbed out/'feels better', it keeps you from damaging yourself further by chatting away like normal.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Tea is the best. I'm drinking some Assam Gold right now. Without milk, because eww. Twinings Irish Breakfast in the bag is my favorite for every day, though. I am too lazy to always do loose-leaf.

I don't drink sweet tea as much as I used to but I always try to have a fresh pitcher on hand for company. I went to make a new pitcher this morning, though, and realized my sister had bought the Bi-Lo store brand instead of Lipton when it ran out while she was visiting me. :( I mean, it's perfectly adequate and all, but not as good.

And people, if your sweet tea tastes like sugar water, you are either adding way too much sugar or not steeping it long enough.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Or using crap tea, which many people do.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    does anyone else think that chap hop is an um interesting appropriation

• Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Silmaril wrote:
    Liiya wrote:
    Silmaril wrote:
    Fyndir wrote:
    Wouldn't it work alright to acquire a thermos and fill it with cold milk before you go to work?

It would surely keep it cold and safe for a day, right?

This is a much better idea.

Plus it will be winter soon. You can just keep the milk outside.

You are joking but last year we did this at work, just left it in the shop on the side. It actually froze one day!

I used to do it at university. put it in a carrier bag and hang it out the window.

I was in Durham though, which is effectively the north pole.

Durham is definitely the North Pole, especially when your Uni room has no heating for the entire first year. Used to have to sleep fully dressed and with a hat on.

Room mate used to keep milk on the windowsill, along with his rugby gear which lent an interesting aroma to the room.
    O_o

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Why... why would you store milk on the windowsill. And why would you store your rugby kit next to the milk

What is wrong with students

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    I've decided that mango tea isn't, well, my cup of tea.

XStly.jpg
  • Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Four flights of stairs to the communal fridge from which everything disappeared.

As for the rugby kit, it was wet and stinky and better on the windowsill than in the room proper.

Bah, I just want a cup of tea now but I'm meant to be in bed already.

Ashaman42 on
  • faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    Wiet wrote:
    I've decided that mango tea isn't, well, my cup of tea.

My new tea steeping mug thing came with a free serving of green tea with mango. it was ok but not something I would intentionally buy.

faits.png
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    i love tea

love it

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Bought some loose leaf gunpowder green tea today, tried to brew it in accordance with the rules rather than just dumping boiling water on it and coming back to it in a while. Definitely a step up from what I'd been drinking before. I will have to strain it next time though, leaves floating around are distracting.

Also it ended up a bit cloudy, which I seem to remember is wrong. What do I do to prevent that?

edited September 2011
    my loose leaf english breakfast showed up this evening.

edit: this is incredible.

faits on
    faits.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:

I enjoy listening to rap in various accents.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Firing up ye olde espresso pot. Ten minutes till I stop being homicidal.

Fuck off and die.
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:

I enjoy listening to rap in various accents.

Chap hop just has no flow

it's all jaggedy and disjointed

this green rooibos is pretty good

I mean I know it's not tea but it's got a decidedly tea-like flavor plus other flavor and I think I'll make another cup.

faits.png
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Wiet wrote:
    Teathread, what tea is best against throat aches? I'm being murdered by my throat and want it to stop.

Lemongrass and ginger is my go-to when I have a cold.

broken image link
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    So my French Press and coffee mill arrived today, and despite my better judgement I decided to try it out this evening (hope it doesn't keep me wired too late, but it is the weekend so that wouldn't be a huge deal). Definitely making this part of my morning ritual. Smells good, tastes good, looks awesome while it brews.,

love my french press

but I haven't even used it since I got my english breakfast + tea brewing mug thing.

faits.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    hello britishness thread!

After hearing you all go on about Jaffa Cakes so much I decided I needed to try them, and felt I had a pretty good chance of finding them here, as the biggest specialty grocery store around here is run by a British ex-pat and maintains a fairly large British import section. Sure enough, I got a box today.

They're...interesting. Dark chocolate + orange isn't a flavour combination I would normally have sought out otherwise, but it is neat. I could see growing to like these, though I probably won't as they're rather pricey imported.

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So I picked up some really nice loose leaf assam while we were downtown today and I'm enjoying some right now. Yum!

Even Usagi likes it and she's usually more into green teas.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    irish breakfasts for everyone

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    irish breakfast aka a bottle of jameson poured into a flower vase, typically drunk between breakfast and brunch

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote:
    hello britishness thread!

After hearing you all go on about Jaffa Cakes so much I decided I needed to try them, and felt I had a pretty good chance of finding them here, as the biggest specialty grocery store around here is run by a British ex-pat and maintains a fairly large British import section. Sure enough, I got a box today.

They're...interesting. Dark chocolate + orange isn't a flavour combination I would normally have sought out otherwise, but it is neat. I could see growing to like these, though I probably won't as they're rather pricey imported.

I loves me some chocolate-coated digestives and Hobnobs.