As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SE++ Blood Drive - 2011

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    don't want none o' that mass-produced "blood" of yours

I prefer my blood organic.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    B positive

My motto.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Grobian wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    you know, I just realised I haven't seen a blood donation van since I've lived in germany. Do the germans not use them, or am I oblivious?

They do have those here. They are often announced with flyers/ in local papers and of course on that website you linked. I guess I should go, It's been a while since I stopped doing drugs so I should be eligible now. I'm gonna check out where I could go.

haha yeah, now I found the website I realise that they're all over the place. So, I'm oblivious.
    (also I tend to gloss over any flyers written in german, I've probably seen those around but haven't paid attention).

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    I gave blood for the first time this year.

...never again, if I can avoid it.

I even wrote about it

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    I give whenever the drive comes around at work, every three months I think?

Last time was my first bad experience; new person rooted around in my arm for a few minutes and couldn't draw blood

That rarely happens tho so don't worry about it to those of you afraid of needles!

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Don't some places in the States pay you for your blood?

And hear I am, giving it away for free like a giant sucker

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    also they give you cookies and apple juice!

• Options
    Edcrab wrote:

I think that's just if you donate bone marrow

• Options
    In that the case The Simpsons lied to me

And how the hell did I spell "here" as "hear"

Welp, guess I won't be donating my eyes or brain any time soon

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    who wants my blood

I got so much blood who wants some

Gimme that hot shit

here have it

have all my blood

Slurp

Slurp

Slurp

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Squall wrote:
    I give whenever the drive comes around at work, every three months I think?

Last time was my first bad experience; new person rooted around in my arm for a few minutes and couldn't draw blood

That rarely happens tho so don't worry about it to those of you afraid of needles!

They always had trouble finding my veins and a couple times used the back of my hand.

• Options
    i have a really obvious vein on my right arm which nobody is ever able to tap
    and some really invisible ones on my left which they usually end up going for when the right one fails.

last time I gave blood the lady told me it was 'woefully under-oxygenated'
    but that was a few years ago.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    This reminds me that I need to go donate again, I haven't been able to for a while. A couple of times I've been and they haven't taken any because my iron was too low. You would think people who don't have enough blood in their bodies would be less fussy.

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    My work does blood drives every few months and I try to go as often as possible. Mainly because they give out 4 hours of other time when you go. That's like a half day for a little of your blood! I'm all about it

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    AB-

one of the rarest blood types of all, is anyone surprised?

Also I can't donate, my blood is toxic to regular folk, it's full of disease and cancer and dirt.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Just looked at the blood stock levels on the NHSBT website and they are low on nearly all types but have craploads of A+ blood, which is my group. Way to make me feel unwanted, NHS.

edit: Though I guess that means if I need some blood they'll have plenty of it suitable for me. Time to take up some dangerous sports.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    A+ regular donator reporting. I live practically next door to the regional blood centre, and my work frequently organises blood drives, so I have no excuse that doesn't involve the mild discomfort.

I'm wondering if I should sign up for platelet donation as well. That takes like 90 minutes. :?

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Squall wrote:
    Edcrab wrote:

I think that's just if you donate bone marrow

You get paid for plasma.

Not that I or anyone I know did anything like that to pay for beer in college.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    I am too featherlight to get my blood taken. =/

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    When I die I'ma will all my blood to the museum they will build in my honor.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    did you guys know that in Japan, blood types are used in the same sense that horoscopes are? It's true!

• Options
    Langly wrote:
    did you guys know that in Japan, blood types are used in the same sense that horoscopes are? It's true!

And suddenly I understand why SNK's fight rosters felt the need to include blood type in character bios

I thought they were just very strange

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Here, too

It's doofy

All of my friends are like "What blood type are you?!" And I'm like "I honestly can't remember!" and then they're horrified because how will I know if me and my boyfriend are a good match

E: Actually it's listed on their facebook profiles along with gender/education/etc

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    last time I tried to give blood I couldnt cos of the meds I was on at the time

I cant even remember what my bloodtype is i should go find a van

• Options
    BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    I donate whenever the bloodmobile and its precious free subs come to campus.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I used to give blood regularly, but can't any more.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Langly wrote:

but what is your semen type. The true test of personality.

• Options
    Druhim wrote:

Why?

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »

too much buttsechs

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Druhim wrote:

Why?

All it is is dust in the wind.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    The Australia Red Cross was at my university in the second week of semester as they always are.

I went in on Wednesday, their first day, I didn't have time to give then, but asked if I'd have to book for the next day of if I'd be right to just wander in.
    They told me it was cool just rock up. I didn't have class the next day but would come in to do this, so I caught the bus and they were packed out and turning people away.

I left saddened.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I tried to give blood last semester, but apparently my platelets were having none of that noise.

• Options
    The Fitted ShirtThe Fitted Shirt Registered User new member
    I gave a pint of B+ just last week. Thinking good thoughts for you, Fyndir.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    My blood type is "Divine Nectar"

It's really hard to find a match

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Keith wrote:
    Druhim wrote:

Why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EwaFkPMdlY

• Options
    A+ regular donator reporting. I live practically next door to the regional blood centre, and my work frequently organises blood drives, so I have no excuse that doesn't involve the mild discomfort.

I'm wondering if I should sign up for platelet donation as well. That takes like 90 minutes. :?

I've never heard of platelet donation before but I think I might check it out. If stocks of A+ blood are so high then maybe my platelets would be more useful than the whole thing.

• Options
    Uriel wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Druhim wrote:

Why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EwaFkPMdlY
    yesssssssss

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Fyndir, for you I will go donate blood. Wouldn't be the first time but it's been a very long time since the last time.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    O+, and I used to give regularly but then I moved and it's not as convenient now, sadly. The bank I walk past on the way to work has drives sometimes, but they only have early afternoon slots so I can never go. Hopefully they'll start doing evening donations.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    smof wrote:

I've never heard of platelet donation before but I think I might check it out. If stocks of A+ blood are so high then maybe my platelets would be more useful than the whole thing.

Basically you are hooked up to a machine that looks like a dialysis machine and your blood is run through it and it extracts the platelets.

If I do opt for it, I shall need to invest in a portable media player, as I have none at the moment.