As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Decide-o-tron Support Thread!

• Options
    MinogustiMinogusti Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Hi!
    First of all let me tell you that I'm really exited about this app.
    Issues I have encountered:

Mayor Issues: A lot of crashes on my ipod 4th gen, pretty much one for every thing I wanted to do. I've checked and I don't have that many apps running, and I have the latests IOS. The barcode reading didn't seem to work properly, it never read the barcode.

Medium Issues: A lot of older games don't have a release date, so the system shows 2038. Because of that, you cannot add them to your library.

Minor Issues/Suggestions: It would be AWESOME if it could import steam's list of games for PC. Also, it would be great if you could exclude the games you have on your wishlist in the recomendations list.

Again, great idea for an app, will download the next version asap.

EDIT: Also, some games are missing for PC. An example would be Doom 3, it's only for the xbox.

Minogusti on
  • Options
    motar22001motar22001 Registered User regular
    Quick question:

Are there any plans to release a website where we can use the app's functionality (like Pandora?). Or perhaps a version that works on android-based phones?

Because I'd love to use this app. I just don't have an iPhone. It's a tragic state of affairs.

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Minor issues: It's missing Half-Life 2: Episode Two and also not showing Bionic Commando: Rearmed for the PC. It has Portal and Team Fortress 2 separately, but not Episode Two. Other than that, crashes a lot, but you guys have said you're working on it. Best of luck :)

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    The app is just crashing every time I try to launch it. Restarting my iPhone doesn't resolve it either. I am on an iPhone 3G with 4.2.1 so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it.

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I was actually hoping for an app I could give my library and a mood or some general criteria and it would say "Why not play this one today?"

[edit]

As opposed to "Why not buy this one?"

Xaviar on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Indeed, I agree with the suggestion made a number of times that a massively useful feature would the addition of a 'Completed?' yes/no field and then the ability to limit recommendations to the uncompleted games in your library.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    bl00kbl00k Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    What database is this app pulling from for the games? It seems to have errors and missing info. Some games won't let me add it to my library only to a wishlist. I'm guessing it has to do with an incorrect release date. Some games have a release date of xx/xx/38 if I remember right. Some games are incomplete. I want to add Shank for the PC but only see it for consoles, also Machinarium is only listed for PS3 no PC option and no PC option for RSPD. I too have had several crashes as well. I also seem to have lots of network errors when using 3g on my iPhone.

Please don't take all this feedback as complaining. I think we are all excited for this app and want to see it succeed. We want to help make it better.

P.S. Any plans to include iPhone games later?

P.P.S. It is a travesty to not have Poker Night at the Inventory in the database. I'm just sayin'.

bl00k on
    [-F69-]bl00k
    The Fighting 69th
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I applied the update. It crashed the first three times I tried to launch it. Obviously still needs some work. Glad the first update was out there quickly, though!

Edit: I should say that once the app launched, it seems fairly stable.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    To follow up with more details from my previous post here are some games that I came across that are incorrect:

Diablo 2 PC Released 1/18/38
    Max Payne PC Released 1/18/38
    StarCraft PC Released 1/18/38
    Myth: The Fallen Lords PC Released 1/18/38
    Baldur's Gate 2 PC Released 1/18/38
    Starsiege: Tribes PC Released 1/18/38
    Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 PC Released 1/18/38
    Planescape: Torment PC Released 1/18/38
    EverQuest PC Released 1/18/38
    Fallout 2 PC Released 1/18/38

I'm guessing it is some default date and that it is referring to the year 2038 and that is why it won't let me add to my library since it thinks the game isn't out yet.

[-F69-]bl00k
    The Fighting 69th
  • Options
    ControlledBurnControlledBurn Registered User new member
    edited August 2011
    I've noticed it has a tendency to recommend games I already have, just on other platforms. (e.g. I have Portal 2 for the PC marked as owned, and it recommends I should play Portal 2 on the PS3 and 360)

ControlledBurn on
  • Options
    RannekoRanneko Registered User new member
    Been playing around with it and I have a few bits of feedback.

1) As said before the date issue with old games is really annoying, being recommended Fallout 1 and 2 whilst not being able to tell the app that I already own them is rather frustrating.

2) The PC list lacks a lot of games, some of which are outright missing, some of which are just marked as not having a PC version.

3) The Xbox Live import also grabs Games for Windows Live games that have Xbox versions. I don't have a copy of, nor have ever played Fallout 3, Bioshock 2 or Batman Arkham Asylum on Xbox I don't want them automatically added to my library.

4) Steam import would be really really nice, I have hundreds of games on there, it would be much more convenient to get them added automatically, though this would also require filling in more of the gaps in the game lists. I ran through a small sample of my games list and about half of them were not in the Decideotrons lists.

5) I would really like to be able to mark whether or not I have finished a game. Maybe it is just me, but I would like to be recommended based on ratings and finished games, what I should play and finish next even if I already own that game. The data we can set is rather limited, just a rating of 1-5 and whether we still have the game.

6) The statuses we are asked to choose from are not the same as the statuses displayed in the game summary. Borrowed/Sold is marked as traded for example.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Being able to mark that you finished a game would be nice.

I also would like to list my iPhone games as well.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    TheBinaryMillTheBinaryMill Registered User regular
    bl00k wrote:
    To follow up with more details from my previous post here are some games that I came across that are incorrect:

Diablo 2 PC Released 1/18/38
    Max Payne PC Released 1/18/38
    StarCraft PC Released 1/18/38
    Myth: The Fallen Lords PC Released 1/18/38
    Baldur's Gate 2 PC Released 1/18/38
    Starsiege: Tribes PC Released 1/18/38
    Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 PC Released 1/18/38
    Planescape: Torment PC Released 1/18/38
    EverQuest PC Released 1/18/38
    Fallout 2 PC Released 1/18/38

I'm guessing it is some default date and that it is referring to the year 2038 and that is why it won't let me add to my library since it thinks the game isn't out yet.
    This issue has been fixed in the upcoming 1.0.3 build that is currently in review with Apple. Thanks for everyone that pointed this out!

- Ingmar

• Options
    Is the database for the games something privately managed or are users able to submit updates and changes? It seems there is a whole PA Army ready and able to add missing games and fix incorrect dates if they are able to. Not being able to add On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness for PC just makes me sad inside.

Thanks for the update though. It will be great to finally add some of those games to my library that had wrong dates. Leaving StarCraft off my list is just embarrassing. ;)

[-F69-]bl00k
    The Fighting 69th
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Lots of games are missing and lots of old games have release dates of 1/18/38.
    Any game with that release date needs to be corrected.

For example Max Payne for the PC is in the app (with a release date of 1/18/38) but you can't add it to your library.

Missing games in order of WTFness:
    Penny Arcade Adventures On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Episode 1 for the PC
    Penny Arcade Adventures On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Episode 1 for the PC
    Prey 2 for any system
    Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City for any system
    Tomb Raider for any system (the one that is still in development)
    Diablo III
    Half-Life 2: Episode Two
    Doom 3 for the PC
    Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil for the PC
    Deus Ex for the PC
    Unreal Tournament 2004 for the PC
    Unreal Tournament for the PC
    Any of the old Doom games for the PC
    Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones for the PC

That's all for now I got to get back to work.

This app will be totally rad once the database is fleshed out.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Mega Man X Collection for Gamecube didn't register when I scanned the barcode.

Just sayin'

• Options
    Funky JFunky J Registered User new member
    I can't seem to import my Xbox 360 list.

I put in my gamertag FunkyJ AU and it waits a minute or two, then tells me it successfully imported 0 titles.

Using an iPhone 3GS with 4.3.5 firmware.

I do have a code on my xbox to log into xbox live... could that be the issue?

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I second bl00k's query: is there a method by which we can submit additions to the game database? In particular, I'd like to see:
    • Deus Ex (PC)
    • Minecraft (PC)
    • Silent Hill 2 (PC)
    • Myst (PC)
    • Riven (PC)
    • Myst 3: Exile (PC)
    • Myst 4: Revelation (PC)
    • Uru: Ages Beyond Myst (PC)
    • Tropico (PC)

Also, when I thumbs-down a recommendation, it is not removed from the list. In fact, the thumbs-up and thumbs-down icons highlight as one, implying they are one button. What's up with that?

Sneaks on
  • Options
    swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    No matter what barcodes I scan, it always says UPC not found. I was also unable to import my gamertag info.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Version 1.0.3 is now live which fixes the date issues and further increases app stability. Also, the server guys are looking into increasing the barcode detection so that users outside the US can use the feature also :)

TheBinaryMill on
  • Options
    ritikaritika Registered User, __BANNED USERS new member
    edited September 2011
    Hi

Tube on
  • Options
    Version 1.0.3 is now live which fixes the date issues and further increases app stability. Also, the server guys are looking into increasing the barcode detection so that users outside the US can use the feature also :)

I am in the US and the barcode scanner seems to be hit or miss. Today I went through a ton of games. First half they weren't coming up. Part of my second session of scanning worked.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection for Gamecube is missing.

Also, I used the app for a good while today (before and after getting the update). Both times it crashed like crazy, but not as much after the patch.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    cdweller0cdweller0 Registered User new member
    Got Decide-o-tron a few days ago and I love the features that let me use this as a Wishlist. Really wondering about the database question from bl00k. Games I haven't seen mentioned already which are missing include Tera and Anno 2070. I've also never seen the thumbs down option in the recommendation UI.

I'd like to be able to use the "decide" side of the app as much as I'd like. I take issue with some aspects or the spirit of this app, I guess. First, It seems to be set up to recommend what I should buy next, not what I should play, as advertised. On the first page of results, I'm presented with only one game from my library. A "prioritize library" feature would be appreciated. Second and building, that game is always Dirt 3. I was hoping to get a little weighted randomness based on my ratings, and many other factors. Could be too early, I understand. Third, hiding a game once completed as mentioned by someone else earlier would be essential. I would want this game's rating to continue to be used.

iOS game support would be nice but seems like a pipedream unless the DB goes wiki somehow. The game library is staggering.

I'm hoping I can someday rate this app at least 4 stars. As it stands, it's 2/5, and I don't want to rate it just yet (I know I can update the ratings, but I'm too lazy and that's not fair). A 3/5 app fixes crashes and UI omissions. A 4/5 app has a robust database. A 5/5 app appeals to me personally as described above, either through implementation or customization. I hope my feedback is taken with a grain of salt at the 5/5 level because even I know the app isn't being designed for my wishes, but for the mass success.

Whatever happens, I love the effort.

• Options
    redfield85 wrote:

I am in the US and the barcode scanner seems to be hit or miss. Today I went through a ton of games. First half they weren't coming up. Part of my second session of scanning worked.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection for Gamecube is missing.

Also, I used the app for a good while today (before and after getting the update). Both times it crashed like crazy, but not as much after the patch.

The brains managing the servers are constantly looking to increase barcode scanning hit-rates. These will continue to get better with time. As for stability, please only ever use the latest version of Decide-o-tron. Every build we release will increase stability for all users.

Cheers,
    - Ingmar

• Options
    cdweller0 wrote:
    Whatever happens, I love the effort.

Thanks for all your feedback! We're continuing to make Decide-o-tron a must-have app for all. This is only the beginning! :)

- Ingmar

• Options
    I like how we can look at Gabe and Tycho's top games list. Is there anywhere in the app now that has that capability for the user or are we only able to see celebrity lists?

It would be neat to be able to make your own top ten and, with a feature that lets us friend people, see your friend's list as well.

Keep up the good work.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    DevsterDevster Registered User regular
    iPhone3G 16GB, IOS 4.2.1 (last supported for this model, I believe), on wireless at time.

Possible error:
    Took three tries to import my XBL games list into library. Progress box would only be up for 2-3 seconds. Exited app, checked privacy settings on my account (nothing seemed wrong and I made no changes), tried again after 10 mins and that time it worked. So not sure the specifics; wish I had more info for you. All titles were imported too when it did go through, ~90 titles.

Suggestion:
    When looking at a game in your games library, swipe left/right to move through the list. Look at the way the Google+ app lets you swipe on the stream page between circles, incoming and nearby. That's what I mean. It was one of the first things I tried when I realized I'd have to rate the library. I know you can do it from the 'unrated' screen, but the game details page gives you more, uh, game details to remind you what the game was about.

Don't feed the trolls.
  • Options
    skyttskyttskyttskytt Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Just wanted to chime in with some experiences I just had with the most recent version:

1. Using the recommend based on "choose criteria," went through a few pages, added a couple games to library and a few to wishlist. As I added another to the wishlist (only about the 6-8th game whose details I accessed), I got the low memory/purging cache message right as I was backing out to the recommendation results. The results then briefly loaded a blank screen and then took me all the way back to page 1 of the results.

2. (following #1, didn't quit the app, just went "oh well, don't feel like scrolling through all that stuff again right now" and went to go mess with other stuff) Went to my wishlist, tried to add one of the games to my library, app hung briefly as I was trying to click on the button indicating I owned the title, screen faded slightly and app crashed (on the 1st and only game I tried to do this on after experiencing #1).

Also want to add again that being able to hide wishlist items when viewing recommendations based on library would be totally awesome. I can do it when searching by "choose criteria" but I don't like the list of games that show up through that, and it always seems to be the same, requiring that I scrolling through several pages before I find anything relevant, since it's basically just showing all games in the many genres I play.

Seems to be much more stable, though, I've used it here and there since the updates started rolling out and it's a noticeable improvement.

skyttskytt on
  • Options
    RannekoRanneko Registered User new member
    When attempting to use it on my iPad, and I doing the facebook connect thing, it warned me it was about to override the data. Was this referring to the data on my ipad or the data in the cloud? This could eb made more clear and certainly the data in the cloud shouldn't be removed if the idea is to allow two different devices to remain in sync.

• Options
    Lonestar5020Lonestar5020 Registered User new member
    Step 1. Get recommendations based off of My Library
    Step 2. Browse away from recommendations (wish list, library, etc.).
    Step 3. App detects low memory and purges the cache.
    Step 4. Tap on The Decide-O-Tron button to view recommendations once more.
    Step 5. App Crashes

• Options
    JC123JC123 Registered User regular
    Jerry, Mike, Robert, et al: for the love of God, please stop with the inescapable Decide-A-Tron banner over the comics. Some of your readers/fans are not iPeople.

If you wish, perhaps a splash page when you get to p-a. I understand the need for commerce, but this is ridiculous in my opinion.

• Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    Is it possible to make this compatible with iOS 4.0? Upgrading beyond 4.0 has some undesirable effects for some people.

• Options
    Funky JFunky J Registered User new member
    Funky J wrote:
    I can't seem to import my Xbox 360 list.

Ok, figured out it was my privacy settings on the Xbox - I had it set to "friends only" so it wouldn't import anything.

• Options
    MortalToasterMortalToaster Registered User regular
    So is it possible to import from multiple libraries (both my XBL and PSN)? It imported my XBL fine, but I see no option to have it check for my PSN library. Also, does it constantly check for new games from my library, or is it a one time import?

• Options
    bigo2magsbigo2mags Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I have a small issue, but it still grates me whenever I use the app.

Whenever I try to Like/Dislike a recommendation, regardless of the choice I make, both buttons depress. I don't know if this is because my big gorilla thumbs are actually pressing both buttons, or because their depression is inextricably linked by some cosmic app forces. Either way, it makes it hard to tell what I actually hit. My recommendation/suggestion is to go from this:

dotorigin.th.png

to this

dotrec.th.png

Possible? Hopefully.

Also would it be possible for recommendations to remove themselves from my suggestions list after I 'dislike' them, or for a way to otherwise subtract them from the list?

Besides some little things, issues/crashing seems sparse - Thank you for this app!

bigo2mags on
    userbar694334an1.gif
    userbar741514.gif
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    Missing Picture for Battlefield Bad Company 2 (PC), Monday Night Combat missing for PC.

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    LectoidLectoid Registered User regular
    When I import my xbox games, it says 0 games imported successfully. I've been playing since the 360 came out. My PS3 games import successfully though. I've deleted the app and reinstalled it to no avail. All the sharing settings on xbox are set to "everyone".

• Options
    LectoidLectoid Registered User regular
    I realize this is a free program, but what is the point of a support thread if no one gives support.

• Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    This seems interesting. Are there any plans for an Android version?

• Options
    General PengwinGeneral Pengwin The Last of a Dying Fanbase Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Ivar wrote:
    This seems interesting. Are there any plans for an Android version?

I second this notion. I love the app, I've seen others using it. However, I'm a huge Android advocate and I love it so much more than the "meh" (in my opinion) iPhone. So an Android addition would be greatly appreciated.

Also, Decido seems to love robots. Why would he side with an Apple over a fellow robot? :P

steam_sig.png