As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So Texas is on fire, I guess

• RinderRinder Registered User regular
    Cue the Cheers theme.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote:
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Oh somebody mentioned Alex Jones!

That means I can post this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhqUk28OwHs

Is he the pride of Texas?

I hope he leaves his body to science. We need to find a fix for whatever the heck he has incase it spreads.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote:
    The volunteers can just smother the fires with their bodies.

Do wildfires have a preset kill-limit?

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    That video...

I laughed till I cried.

• LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote:

The LA/SD ones are kind of funny, since that's usually what happens every summer anyways.

• DaricDaric Registered User regular
    In case anyone is wondering, I am still alive. I can see smoke way off in the distance but I have a bucket full of water ready to fight these flames.

cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    That Alex Jones video made my night.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Hahaha, I'm the worst. I live in Texas and I haven't even bothered to see where the fires are at in relation to me.

JtgVX0H.png
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Was at work today selln' electronics. A firefighter came in with his son looking to buy a cheap DVD player they could use while they stayed at a hotel figuring what to do after their house burned down.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    wonder if marth's family has been affected by these fires

Yeah unfortunately my aunt and uncle in Bastrop had to evacuate on Sunday, I think. I haven't heard if they've gotten to go back yet. The fire started spreading pretty close to their house. It'd be a damn shame if they lost it. Real nice place. The contractor who worked on my parents' property the last few weeks also lives there.

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    Some of you might have heard about the fire last April in southwest Austin. My now-passed grandma's house was in that neighborhood, and it was really fucking close to the edge of the fire. That fire was really sad and that was just 12 homes destroyed. This is over 700 homes in Bastrop alone. Half of the state park in Bastrop is gone.

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    ahh that sucks marth glad to hear they're okay though

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tam wrote:
    apparently one of my friends went to volunteer with the fire depts nearby
    that stupid altruistic motherfucker
    Yeah, my brother did the same.
    Just when we were thinking, "Well, we're lucky it's not down here.", he decides to tell us he's off to help.
    Great. I hope "Love you. Don't die." aren't the last things I say to him. How awkward.

Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I found an interactive map built on top of Google Maps that tracks where fires are.
    http://www.kltv.com/link/510293/active-fire-map-tamu

There's a couple near me in Tyler, one of which is practically on top of me according to the map but I don't see any fucking smoke (and it's inside the municipal airport?). Just woke up.

• ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    wait, I just remembered I have to go to Dallas for work on the 21st

is Dallas close to the fires

I do not want to be ablaze or otherwise on fire

• GalyGaly Registered User regular
    Nope. Dallas is not close to the fires.

For now...

mustache w/ hat c|:{
    The fires seem to be east of Dallas for the most part, as of late from what I can tell. But I mean, I am kinda biased on where I'm tracking the burnings.

I just had to get on the phone with my mother to try to explain to her that the evac orders my town was under (on the east side, I'm on the west) were lifted an hour ago. She's convinced I'm gonna burn up anyway.

• ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    whew!

also, I've realized that I literally have no concept of Texas geography

Dallas is over here, Austin is over thur, Houston is way down thur...

One of my friends from work (my boss) just spoke to me and if fire evac orders go up again, we're allowed to leave work. Even if I'm teasing my mom's ability to hyperventilate about things, even I'm a little nervous at this point.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    There was an extremely thick cloud of smoke over Houston today.

Well, thicker than the usual smog at least.

• monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    I just woke up. What's the news with the Austin fires?

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    i didn't volunteer thanks for making me look like a jerk! Also it freaks me out to be able to see smoke for two days now.

I did, however, ask my boss what our plan was in case the fire comes close to the zoo. Her response? 'get an extinguisher'.
    You gotta take fire safety seriously. If there is a fire, I will be putting nine monkeys, three dillos, three sloths, and 4 chickens in my car and I am driving straight to austin to be mysst's wingman.

oh man panties be droppin for some sloths

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I figured you'd be all about the monkeys.

Apparently there's a dude throwing burning socks out of his car to start some of the fires.

• LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    One time a friend was fucking with a lighter and set my sock on fire.

The fire crawled up the sock to the toes and never actually burned through to my foot. Wooo, textile chemicals.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Apparently there's a dude throwing burning socks out of his car to start some of the fires.

wait, what?

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Look, I'm not doing it to start the fires, it's just that my feet get so goddamn hot in these shoes okay?

JtgVX0H.png
  • ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
    So, San Diego lost power. Is this a thread to mention that? There is some word that there was an explosion at a power plant way out in the desert I guess.

So, San Diego lost power. Is this a thread to mention that? There is some word that there was an explosion at a power plant way out in the desert I guess.
    Works for me. That said, what kinda power plant is it?
    Henroid wrote:

wait, what?

Just read about it on the local news. It's only a suspicion at the moment but witnesses have given a description of the vehicle and such so we'll see what happens.

The goddamn evac on the other side of my town is back in effect because of a new fire by the way. I'm getting nervous.

There's a fire that started in South Bexar county near IH37 south of San Antonio, that's fun.

• vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Yukira wrote:
    There's a fire that started in South Bexar county near IH37 south of San Antonio, that's fun.

edit nevermind i can't read

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    http://gizmodo.com/5838584/millions-in-california-arizona-and-mexico-without-power
    Millions in California, Arizona and Mexico Without Power
    Millions of residents in California, Arizona and Mexico are without power right now. There's no word on the cause yet, but officials say that the lights may not be back on until Friday.

A California nuclear plant has been shut down as a precaution, and the cities of Phoenix and San Diego are, essentially, a giant mess. While we don't know what caused this yet (weather and a downed line are both being put forward as possibilities) that an outage could affect such a large area is yet another argument that our nation's grid is in serious need of improvement.

Good luck, folks! I hope your lights come back on soon! [L.A. Times and Arizona Star]

huh

Yukira wrote:

edit nevermind i can't read

Put tha booze down.

Rolo wrote:
    http://gizmodo.com/5838584/millions-in-california-arizona-and-mexico-without-power
    Millions in California, Arizona and Mexico Without Power
    Millions of residents in California, Arizona and Mexico are without power right now. There's no word on the cause yet, but officials say that the lights may not be back on until Friday.

A California nuclear plant has been shut down as a precaution, and the cities of Phoenix and San Diego are, essentially, a giant mess. While we don't know what caused this yet (weather and a downed line are both being put forward as possibilities) that an outage could affect such a large area is yet another argument that our nation's grid is in serious need of improvement.

Good luck, folks! I hope your lights come back on soon! [L.A. Times and Arizona Star]

huh

It's unfortunate that instead of "Let's look at how the nation's power grid" this is gonna become another "OH NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS" issue.

Hopefully the shutdown wasn't over anything severe.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I'm 20 min from the falls, I don't think anything will catch here, but I am loading my vehicle up with supplies in case it gets out of control and will head down to do what I can.

If there is anyone near me and is in need of any kind of help, let me know. (I promise I am not a crazy killer, just ask my dead wife)

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

wait, what?

Just read about it on the local news. It's only a suspicion at the moment but witnesses have given a description of the vehicle and such so we'll see what happens.

The goddamn evac on the other side of my town is back in effect because of a new fire by the way. I'm getting nervous.

They've brought in a suspect in Smith County, I'm assuming this is the sock guy you're talking about

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Big surprise, another awful thing happening in America.

Man... When we get to 2012 this shit is going to get super-worse.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    If it makes you feel better, Europe and Japan were ground to dust during WWII and they're doing pretty cool now.

To make you feel worse, 3/4's of the population around the area of modern day Iran was killed by the Mongol Hordes in the 13th century and they only recovered their pre-invasion levels around the 20th century.

I imagine we'll be ok, even if everything goes into the shitter.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".