As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Comic: Friday Sept. 9, 2011

RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazedby the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
edited September 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-jnZ7zh3-XL.jpg

One Can Never Be Too Careful
Brenna’s leg has decided that it no longer wants to be a leg, rather, it wants to merely ride around attached to her body while generating infinite pain. This means that the only games I’ve been able to play are Club Penguin, and… that’s it, just Club Penguin, which is only one game. I could go deep on Club Penguin - as deep, perhaps, as the sub in Aqua Grabber after you get all the Cream Soda barrels and the coral opens up and you get the Amethyst from the blowfish - but I won’t. I may punish you with it at some point. But not today.

Gabriel has been up to his navel in Resistance 3, though, and we managed to wring a strip out of it. I was here for the first intense day of play, I can understand well enough why it might be polarizing. There are a lot of games in the guns-which-bob-before-you genre. I’d argue that Insomniac always insures that they have the best guns; they took the mantle from Duke at the inception of the franchise and have more or less held onto it, despite a very strong play from Bulletstorm.

It’s a game that is, in a very real sense, about a mitten. As I’ve said before, with more parents making games, we can (and should) expect that a greater percentage of our games will feature mittens prominently or at the very least feature a mitten component.

I received the strangest question in an interview once: somebody wanted to talk to me about MC Frontalot, who coincidentally has a new album out. They wanted to know why rap about nerd things, or make comics about nerd things, and this all has a corrollary with why make games about parents and children. I scrunched my whole face up, and the region between my eyebrows shifted tectonically from plain to mountain. But he could not see this, so I was forced to express my confusion with the human words.

This was a person writing an article for a newspaper, a device which transmits culture, but he didn’t seem to understand what he was doing! Maybe he was confused because he was taught to “speak” without “voice,” that is, to communicate neutrally. Maybe he found the printing press in the woods, and operates it via dimly understood rituals. But here’s the apparently impenetrable math: people create culture. And they create it by describing the world in terms which are relevant to them. Who does he think makes all this stuff?

All that changed was the hand on the tiller.

(CW)TB out.

in the usual way

8406wWN.png
Rankenphile on

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Very funny. N o context needed.

Odd choice on gabe's part to not put any depth into the splatches in the third panel.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote:

I need context :(

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    bwanie wrote:

Very well.

Every Zombie thing ever.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I like this strips where monsters have mundane conversations. Like the Dead Space one.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Excellent comi
    godmode wrote:
    I like this strips where monsters have mundane conversations. Like the Dead Space one.

This.

Excellent comic.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    bwanie wrote:

Very well.

Every Zombie thing ever.
    I was hoping I was missing something. It seems not. That makes me sad.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the specific reference is Resistance 3

PNk1Ml4.png
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Blake T wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    bwanie wrote:

Very well.

Every Zombie thing ever.

it's really a very general joke dealing with a horror cliche.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • KitAlexHarrisonKitAlexHarrison Registered User regular
    Very funny comic. I'm always a big fan of the comics where Gabe gets to run free with visceral character designs, yet you still get Tycho's calm writing.

In the third panel, though, the blood/whatever the other stuff is splatters seem to have been applied atop everything else, with not much depth applied. It'd be unnoticeable, were it not for the yellow spatter on the human's right arm.

PennyArcadeSig.png

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    NYAAR.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    oh man, I hate it when people have cats and I don't know beforehand

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote:

I think my personal favourite is this one
    215506223_sNqK5-L-2.jpg

forumsig.png
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Blake T wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    bwanie wrote:

Very well.

Every Zombie thing ever.

You are missing something.
    A sense of humor.
    <3

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Oh man, I had to miss about a week of work when I got the chi-mera virus last year.

And here I even bothered to get the flu vaccine and everything.

NNID: Rehab0
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I thought it was a MI2 reference. Boy is my face red.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote:
    godmode wrote:

I think my personal favourite is this one

I would have to go with

217508184_d753V-L-2.jpg

NNID: Rehab0
    mindworm is still the best

1174879147_ikdyh-L.jpg

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    We do not yield to your earth comics

307941629_9nUkr-L-2.jpg

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    So is Resistance 3 good? Did they fix the things that they broke in Resistance 2? Like the 2 weapon limit? Or the lack of campaign co-op? Please tell me Resistance 3 has campaign co-op and not just some dumb horde mode. I'm tired of horde modes in games. Its lazy game design.

• DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'd just like to say this comic is a really accurate depiction of the way it feels when I get the sneezes real bad because of dog/cat/whathaveyou allergies. Much appreciated!

• ogcam777ogcam777 Registered User regular
    We do not yield to your earth comics

307941629_9nUkr-L-2.jpg

A thousand times this. Broodax is probably the best thing ever.

steam_sig.png
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    I love my broodax tee so much.

NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • JacobinJacobin Registered User new member
    I know this is off the topic of well-spoken monsters, but Tycho's comment about his interview experience struck a chord with me. Specifically, the reporter's question "Why rap about nerd things, or make comics about nerd things?" I've worked as a writer for a newspaper going on two years now, and a common dichotomy in thought just becomes more clear every day: a simultaneous sense of intellectual superiority and complete lack of understanding that life and culture don't exist in a fixed state. If you want the real king shit journalists, you need to look to magazine features. A good features writer is an artist hunting for emotional truth, not just page-filler.

On the other hand, there's a big difference between asking that kind of question in an interview, and asking it in any other context. It's part of a reporter's job to ask dumb questions. He may have known perfectly well why someone would take an established art form and utilize it in a nerdly context, but he needed Tycho to say it. Better to look ignorant to a source, then to a reader.

• MaigaardMaigaard Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote:
    So is Resistance 3 good? Did they fix the things that they broke in Resistance 2? Like the 2 weapon limit? Or the lack of campaign co-op? Please tell me Resistance 3 has campaign co-op and not just some dumb horde mode. I'm tired of horde modes in games. Its lazy game design.

It's got split-screen co-op. But I think it's still got a 2 weapon limit.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    rockmonkey wrote:
    I love my broodax tea so much.

• KitAlexHarrisonKitAlexHarrison Registered User regular
    Maigaard wrote:
    Lucascraft wrote:

It's got split-screen co-op. But I think it's still got a 2 weapon limit.

In gameplay videos I've seen, they appear to have brought back the Ratchet & Clank-style radial menu for choosing your shooter. That may possibly just be for multiplayer, though.

PennyArcadeSig.png

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    From what I hear it's radial menu with every gun plus the ability to level each for single player. Don't know about co-op but I do know that health is handled by healthpacks in single player and regenerating in multiplayer.