As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bioware romances - what have I missed?

DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdooryou're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
edited September 2011 in Games and Technology
Hey all,

This is a sort of a secret shame for me, but I'm sure I'm not alone in this, so why the hell not.

I really enjoy the corny romances that permeate most Bioware games. Whether that's Nathyrra in the Hordes of the Underdark expansion to Neverwinter or the various romance options in Mass Effect, I like them all.

I'm curious, however, if I've missed any good ones. The Bioware games I've played to date are

Neverwinter Nights original campaign
Shadows of Undrentide
Hordes of the Underdark

Mass Effect 1
Mass Effect 2

Dragon Age 1
Dragon Age 2

I'm told NWN2 has romances, but I haven't tried the game yet. I think Baldur's Gate 2 might be a little outdated for me to enjoy playing but if the romances are enjoyable I might try to battle through it.

Dhalphir on

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Baldur's Gate have some good romance options, particularly number 2 with expansion (hell, you could skip 1 if you really just want to romance).

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    You're willing to "battle" through what you consider an outmoded, outdated game just to get your virtual hanky-panky on? Er, okay I guess. Whatever floats yer boat.
    Viconia is the best one, fact. Anyone who suggest otherwise is a charlatan and a liar.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Oh, I've also played the user-made extension to Neverwinter Nights that goes into more detail about an Aribeth romance.

Yeah...I'm that bad.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Jade Empire and KOTOR. Never played KOTOR 2, but I assume it has hot monkey sex dialogue options in it.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    CubemonkeyCubemonkey Registered User regular
    Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, Dragon Age 2...

Stahl - 50 Sage - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    OH yeah, Dragon Age have some interesting Romance Options. Mass Effect romance options blew.

....why do the hell do I know so much about this?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Bioware romances are so incredibly poorly handled that I'll never, ever willingly own one of their games again. They really just need to remove them completely.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Jade Empire has probably the most expansive romance options of any bioware game. Both genders, straight/gay/lesbian and even a three way romance. They really tried to cover all the bases in that game, to the point where it seemed odd when games after Jade Empire didn't go as far.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    wait I forgot Dragon Age 1 and 2. WOOOPS

played them both.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Baldur's Gate II not only allowed you to have romances but you could have a baby in one!

It took up a slot in the inventory.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    KOTOR2 has some varied relationship choices for both genders of Exile.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Bioware romances are so incredibly poorly handled that I'll never, ever willingly own one of their games again. They really just need to remove them completely.
    This. It's better to talk about BioWare "romances." Even though KOTOR II is not a BioWare game, I'd head there for a slightly better take on things than "talk to me after each mission on a hub planet and select the 'don't be an asshole' prompts and then you'll see me in my underwear in a cutscene." NWN2 also isn't a BioWare game.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Sonic Chronicles actually has a romance subplot with Amy. If you can swallow Mass Effect romances it shouldn't be too bad.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    This. It's better to talk about BioWare "romances." Even though KOTOR II is not a BioWare game, I'd head there for a slightly better take on things than "talk to me after each mission on a hub planet and select the 'don't be an asshole' prompts and then you'll see me in my underwear in a cutscene." NWN2 also isn't a BioWare game.

This where Jade Empire sort of shines. OK, yes, you do have to talk to people after each mission in every hub, but you can totally pick the 'be an asshole' prompts. All you have to do is convince your intended that your Closed Fist viewpoint is the right way to do things. This even carries over into the endgame where, if you start committing all kinds of atrocities, your beloved doesn't turn on you because they now agree with what you're doing. Which neatly mingles "romance" with character development.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote:

Heck, in KOTOR I'm not even sure that being the asshole would stop you from getting laid. Jade Empire wasn't too bad though. ME1 was horrible for that though. The Bioware guys really need to allow for a 'just friends' conversation path.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Is Jade Empire any good on PC or is it a crappy port? I've only ever played part of it on Xbox.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

Heck, in KOTOR I'm not even sure that being the asshole would stop you from getting laid. Jade Empire wasn't too bad though. ME1 was horrible for that though. The Bioware guys really need to allow for a 'just friends' conversation path.

ME2 still has Shepard trying to jump into Jacob's pants at the slightest provocation.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    masseffectwheel_64.jpg
    This pretty much sums up Mass Effect.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote:
    Sonic Chronicles actually has a romance subplot with Amy. If you can swallow Mass Effect romances it shouldn't be too bad.

What? Really? I...really?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Gotta get that furry demographic, yo.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote:
    daveNYC wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

ME2 still has Shepard trying to jump into Jacob's pants at the slightest provocation.

Never rolled with FemShep. ME2 did a horrible job with Tali though. They gave you a trusted teammate and good buddy from the first game, and when you treated her as such she gets all 'lets risk my life by gettin nekkid'. ME1 had Liara, where the conversation choices were 'sorry about your mom' and 'your mom was evil and it's genetic'.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Cloudeagle has a word or two about Sonic Chronicles. Which is a shame because I was dwelling on Bioware handling an Eastern IP. But from what I hear Xenosaga is the cure for the common JRPG.

A big peeve of mine is these JRPG heroes who act like douchebags while chicks throw their vaginas at them. Its why Zidane is my favorite JRPG protagonist. Stocke of Radiant Historia is another one.

Cantido on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I... I generally like Bioware romances. Is that bad? The 'sex' scenes are always terrible, of course. But I like "unlocking" sexy/romantical dialogue from my companions. So far I think DA:O does it best, though, since you don't have to wait for specific locations to unlock dialogue, and your companions will actually comment on the situation with each other.

I don't mind ME1 & 2's romance options, I actually think they suit Commander "who has time for romance/friendship, I'm just here to fuck" Shepard. But as a romantic, DA's options are more pleasant for me.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I too prefer DA:O's romance options (of which I gravitated towards Leilana). They seemed alot less forced than other games options.

Also the friendships in DA:O seemed to me to evolve in a more natural way.

• Options
    DAO has bad romances because you can go from ambivalence to devotion in one conversation. Even Mass Effect usually takes two or three! DA2 forever, because your relationship is developed over years.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote:
    DAO has bad romances because you can go from ambivalence to devotion in one conversation. Even Mass Effect usually takes two or three! DA2 forever, because your relationship is developed over years.

That was a really good gift you gave.

I still prefer it, since it leaves the pace in control of the player.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote:

This. Morrigan will fall in love with you mere hours after meeting her.

• Options
    Putting the pace in control of the player is the problem, because it ends up feeling very one-sided.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote:
    Putting the pace in control of the player is the problem, because it ends up feeling very one-sided.

Yeah, any character depth that might have come out of a romance is made impossible when you can jump right to the finish line like that. Felt extremely video gamey.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I really liked the Merrill romance in DA2. She's very likeable and it wasn't a perfect fairy tale relationship because of that thing that Merrill obsesses over. I was genuinely worried about her.

• Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote:
    I really liked the Merrill romance in DA2. She's very likeable and it wasn't a perfect fairy tale relationship because of that thing that Merrill obsesses over. I was genuinely worried about her.

Merrill was also about the most normal person you could romance in DA2. Which is saying something considering her massive social issues and generally broken psyche.

Then again
    When your competition is an abomination, an amnesiac slave and a selfish asshole pirate with issues its not to hard to come out on top.

I mean, I liked those characters, but they were all pretty broken people.

• Options
    Vi Monks wrote:
    -Tal wrote:

Yeah, any character depth that might have come out of a romance is made impossible when you can jump right to the finish line like that. Felt extremely video gamey.

Although they did make "Nice shoes, lets fuck." a workable strategy. So that counts. For something.

• Options
    Yeah, one other criticism I have of Bioware romances is that they are too dramatic and focused on "fixing" people. This is where the Sonic/Amy romance actually stands out. Just two well-adjusted characters that care for each other.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote:
    Vi Monks wrote:
    -Tal wrote:

Although they did make "Nice shoes, lets fuck." a workable strategy. So that counts. For something.

That's The Witcher. Which I still need to finish.

In that game, a lady offered me ass if I went out to find a flower for her.

• Options
    Again, Jade Empire is pretty not bad in that category.

• Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    I want your ugly, I want your disease :whistle:

Jade Empire had pretty ok romances, but I always just feel worse for doing romances in video games and so I don't have a lot of experience.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote:
    Is Jade Empire any good on PC or is it a crappy port? I've only ever played part of it on Xbox.

From what I remember, it's fine. I played it years ago.

• Options
    -Tal wrote:

This makes me curious as to what the solution would be. Either the romance can't progress until X map location is reached and "completed" which feels false, or the pace is in the hands of the player, meaning you can 'win' the romance instantly which also feels false. Is there a third option?

• Options
    Free Giraffe Rides!!!Free Giraffe Rides!!! Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote:
    Yeah, one other criticism I have of Bioware romances is that they are too dramatic and focused on "fixing" people. This is where the Sonic/Amy romance actually stands out. Just two well-adjusted characters that care for each other.

Please be ironic, please be ironic

• Options
    It really just comes down to good writing to make those progress points feel natural. Also maybe they can actually let you go on dates in the meantime instead of having stiff conversations in camp/on the ship.

PNk1Ml4.png