As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] For the Love of God Do Not Buy Space Siege

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited October 2011 in Games and Technology
Trading is now live, as if you don't get all your stuff from fellow PA people or from SteamGifts.com
trading_live.jpg
DNfgD.png
steamlogom.png
facebook.gif twitter.gif

Coping With Steam: Reinterpreted Artistic Commentary on Our Shared Affliction
tMRzb.jpg

xHlDY.jpg

JG9rG.jpg

Most Frequently Asked Questions

1. Steam's search tool is cumbersome and not very informative. Is there a website, other than Steam's, I can go to find out what's on sale?

2. Can I register this copy of (Insert Game Here) on Steam?
Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it. You can also use this to add your own shortcuts with fake names to your Steam games list to make it look like you're playing Episode 3. Hilarious

3. If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?
Not usually. You're welcome to ask in this thread, although if you Google it it'll probably be answered even faster.

4. Why isn't __Insert Game Here__ available in my horrible little corner of the earth?
Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire. Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game.

5. How do I get an invite to the Penny Arcade Steam group?
The most convenient way is to just post a link to your Steam profile page (getting one of the swank signatures described below makes it easy) and ask for an invite.

Some Words on Gifting

If you receive a game or pack via a gift or a contest, remember to thank that person either through a PM or by announcing it in the thread. We are classy gentlemen and will act as such.

Steam's new gifting features allow you to store up games in your gift bank when you purchase them, instead of having to email yourself the gift link. It'll be an option during checkout.

An Important Word on Contests

If you decide to run or participate in a giveaway contest for gift copies of games, please remember that all entry submissions must now be made via PM. The forum mods have stated that pages of the thread being filled with pictures, videos, etc. submitted as contest entries will lead to such contests being banned. So please, for the sake of the thread – take it to PMs.

Helpful Stuff

Steam Price Guide
Do you have the misfortune to live somewhere other than America? Steam hates you! Luckily, this cool website with prices for Steam games all around the world is here to help, so you can know if you want to ask an American friend to buy the game for you or not.
AUSTRALIANS!!!!

You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.
Ampix wrote: »
LaCabra wrote: »
150KB/s :(

Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

This shit totally needs to go into the OP, I've tipped this to so many people already.

Cool Community Add-Ons

Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon. Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!

Sample signature:
steam_sig.png

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Steam Roulette
Having trouble picking a game out of your burgeoning [strike]backlog[/strike] gamebank to play? Let VicWhiten's Steam Roulette decide! Just type in your Steam community ID (easier if you set up a custom URL on your Steam profile page), and Steam Roulette will read your library and randomly pick one game every time you hit "Spin the Wheel!" It even connects to Steam to allow you to install or start the game with a single click.

What's all this about serving "The Newell?"
It started with this comic:
steamregulator.jpg
And now it is our unofficial official motto.

TychoCelchuuu on

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Hmm new thread smell.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The subject of multiplayer Republic Commando came up in the last thread.

Did anyone want to get in on something like that sometime?

• CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    STEEEEEAM!

Why you so great?

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

There's active groups for Battlefront 2 and Jedi Academy.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

Yep, we just got the servers back up. Join the groups, polish up your armor and get your saber fired up. We should start having events again soon.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    But I don't have Battlefront 2 or Jedi Academy.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I think I finally have full blown Steamitis. Ive started buying games, playing them for an hour or so, and then buying more games. Its some sort of sick endless cycle.

Does anybody know if people still play Call of Duty 1 online?

• APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    A note for the OP. You no longer have to email the gift to yourself for future gifting. There's now an option, I believe, to send the game right to your inventory. Functionally the same, I suppose, but the option is there.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    But I don't have Battlefront 2 or Jedi Academy.

But you have Steam

And hopefully $10

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    New thread! w00t!

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I think I shall be christening the new thread with a proper giveaway. But I'm at work so I can't think of any brilliant contests.

Instead...TERRARIA ESSAY GIVEAWAY EXTRAVAGANZA!!!

PM me an essay of 10 words or less why you love the PA community here.
    You have until I get home from work (aka ~5:30PST).
    Judgement is summary and completely subjective to, well, whatever I feel like when I get home. :)

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Reposting this since I just learned about the new thread.
    Cantido wrote:
    If this scene doesn't make you want Rock of Ages you don't have a soul.

:shock:

Be right back, off to buy a million copies.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote:
    Cantido wrote:

O.O

Oh Em Gee

EH28YFo.jpg
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    This part of the OP isn't necessarily correct anymore:
    3. If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?
    No, this was a one-time thing for people who already owned Half-Life 2 and bought the Orange Box. Additional copies you own are lost forever to the ether.

Relic did allow this with the recent Space Marine/Warhammer bundle. If you bought it and owned any of the other games, you could gift the rest.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It's still generally a "No unless otherwise specified" thing

And while more people are jumping onto that bandwagon, you should pretty much always assume you're not getting gift copies

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote:
    Cantido wrote:

O.O

This is amazing.

This was said before in that "WTF is Rock of Ages" video, but I'm really impressed that ACE Team manages to have these neat, quirky ideas for games, and then actually turn them into genuinely good games.

• GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Ooooh my wired 360 controller came in....

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Back when ACE Team only had Zeno Clash to their name, I could comfortably say "We don't really know how good they are, maybe they just got lucky"

Now I'm pretty much convinced that they're just that awesome

• PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    Drake wrote:

Yep, we just got the servers back up. Join the groups, polish up your armor and get your saber fired up. We should start having events again soon.

oh my. I LOVE me some jedi academy. Can I get an invite to that group.

*runs off to find his disks....

camo_sig2.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    That's the zeno clash team!? Holy hell, I do want that.

• LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    New thread smells. Smells of classiness.

Hard Reset is insanely awesome from the demo. The menus are incredibly well done.

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Rock of Ages looks delightfully absurd, and now it belongs to me

JKKaAGp.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    It's still generally a "No unless otherwise specified" thing

And while more people are jumping onto that bandwagon, you should pretty much always assume you're not getting gift copies

This. It's always the exception to the general rule of "Your extra copies will disappear."

If they won't, there will be a big notice on the game's store page that it won't. They use it as a selling point, so it's not hard to find.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Continued from the old smelly thread...
    mts wrote:
    Roshin wrote:
    I've got a bunch of pre order TF2 items if anyone wants to trade them for a game/games whatever, I dont really play TF2.

Same thing here. I think my "big" items are Bill's hat, the wingstick, the dragonborn helmet, the pip-boy, and the Deus Ex stuff.

@elimination and @roshin what games are you looking for? Do either of you have the Monday night combat stuff?

No, none of the Monday Night Combat items. It's tricky to pick which games I'm looking for, since I don't know how much the TF2 stuff is worth. Feel free to check out my inventory and wishlist, though (link in the sig). Saints Row: The Third and Dead Island are at the top spots.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    You have the MNC stuff Roshin, it's the Superfan and the essential accessories.

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    Lepwave wrote:

Ah, I had no idea. :oops:

steam_sig.png
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    Why hello there new thread. You guys keep tempting me with your resets and your rocks and your whosawhatsits. But you know what?

zombies

steam_sig.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Lord Yod wrote:
    Why hello there new thread. You guys keep tempting me with your resets and your rocks and your whosawhatsits. But you know what?

zombies

if Kid Casual still has that copy, I may be joining you :D

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Aight, OP updated a bit. Thanks for all the tips.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Wait. When did Rock of Ages get launched? I thought it was the 13th....

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    on the 7th

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Lepwave wrote:

I'll just add the required "are those worth anything" question, because the random Russian dude who won my Darksiders giveaway on Steamgifts noticed I had the essential accessories and was pestering me to trade him something for them and I had no idea how high to set the bar.

Essential Accessories are worth a bit, yeah.

They're not terribly super rare so they don't go for much, but people like them because they look really good painted.

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Man that CIV V deal is tempting. I still have to play through Deus Ex: Human Revolution though, and I haven't fired up Shogon 2 even once from that newegg sale awhile back.
    Sometimes games that don't end are a bad thing. Well, no, not really. But finding time for them when you have a 20 month old is difficult.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Roshin wrote:

No, none of the Monday Night Combat items. It's tricky to pick which games I'm looking for, since I don't know how much the TF2 stuff is worth. Feel free to check out my inventory and wishlist, though (link in the sig). Saints Row: The Third and Dead Island are at the top spots.
    That bills Hat is pretty dang rare, and would probably get you some nice things.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Caved and bought Civ 5 last night.

At that price, I'd have been a fool not to. A fool, I say!

....it's so shiny :D....

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Goddam Hot Pursuit is amazing. Well worth the sale price.

Does the in game friends list work from my steam friends list?

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I want rock of ages really badly, but I also want a steam sale first.

steam_sig.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    yea i really want me a pair of socks. honestly there is stuff i would like, but i am not crazy into the whole trading economy

camo_sig.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I want rock of ages really badly, but I also want a steam sale first.

You mean that 10% off sale that ended when the game was released? D:

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
This discussion has been closed.