As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] For the Love of God Do Not Buy Space Siege

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Lepwave wrote:
    New thread smells. Smells of classiness.

Hard Reset is insanely awesome from the demo. The menus are incredibly well done.

Why did you tell me this? I'm such a sucker for pretty menus. And I already wanted this game.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Also, I bought Hot Pursuit and Civ V despite having never played any other games in either series. What the hell is wrong with me? I'm contemplating heading out to buy a wheel now.

(Cheap game, yay! Let me go blow a hundred bucks on a controller to play it!)

minor incident on
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    Also, I bought Hot Pursuit and Civ V despite having never played any other games in either series. What the hell is wrong with me? I'm contemplating heading out to buy a wheel now.

I wouldn't recommend it. I paid a lot for my own set-up, and I can confidently say that Civilization 5 doesn't feel right with a wheel.

Centipeed wrote:

I wouldn't recommend it. I paid a lot for my own set-up, and I can confidently say that Civilization 5 doesn't feel right with a wheel.

No dude, I've already got my light gun for Civ.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Centipeed wrote:

No dude, I've already got my light gun for Civ.

The only way to play Civ is with a

Photo-Powerglove.jpg

Related: are there awesome light gun games for the PC? Are there awesome light guns for the PC?

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Now you're playing with POWER.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    I had a power glove. I asked for it for Christmas all year thinking it would make punch out awesomer. Then I got it and found out that it turns all games into "hold your arm out straight and twitch your fingers."

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Oh finally, my Razer Blackwidow Stealth arrived. The placement of the macro keys is odd, but it feels so good typing. I will totally play it more after work.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Now you're playing with fucking shit

I'm about to finish Deus Ex and I need a new Steam game to play... I know this is stereotypical of me but are there any fantastic platformers (other than Trine) on Steam?

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Braid and Super Meat Boy come to mind, not necessarily in that order.

wVEsyIc.png
    I've already played and beaten both of those (Super Meat Boy 3 times :( )

• Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Capsized?

No wait drake recommended saira to me and I immediately thought you should lp it.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2011
    Cheers! That looks awesome

EDIT:

I'll check out both of them

joshofalltrades on
  • PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    Centipeed wrote:

rofl I had the same thought. Now pedals, pedals are where it's at.

camo_sig2.png
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    And Yet It Moves looks interesting as well, you may already own it though, it was indie bundle 3.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Centipeed wrote:

This was a good post. :^:

• LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote:
    Lepwave wrote:
    You have the MNC stuff Roshin, it's the Superfan and the essential accessories.

I'll just add the required "are those worth anything" question, because the random Russian dude who won my Darksiders giveaway on Steamgifts noticed I had the essential accessories and was pestering me to trade him something for them and I had no idea how high to set the bar.

They're about 2 keys in TF2, which translate to $5 in real money.

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    plufim wrote:
    And Yet It Moves looks interesting as well, you may already own it though, it was indie bundle 3.

this is a good suggestion, I played it on my work computer over the last couple of weeks during breaks and had great fun with it

steam_sig.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

I'm about to finish Deus Ex and I need a new Steam game to play... I know this is stereotypical of me but are there any fantastic platformers (other than Trine) on Steam?

Saira, as I've told Yod and some others, is a pretty fantastic platformer peppered with some really great puzzles. The presentation is fantastic, both visual and audio and it falls neatly into the Nintendo Hard category of gaming. I really recommend checking it out. I should also mention that it's by Nifflas of Knytt and Knytt Stories fame. Also by him and on Steam is NightSky which is a physics puzzle platformer. It has some really interesting gameplay and once again the atmosphere, both visual and audio is really something else.

Saira has really taken over the platformer portion of my brain though. It's just so neat and quirky and happily its own thing. And just joyful in its difficulty. And the gameplay does such a neat job of establishing Saira as a brave and smart female character with a fearless sense of adventure that I haven't really encountered anywhere else. That's such a rare thing I think it really deserves mention.

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Not sure if this was mentioned, but Achron, the recent time travel RTS, just went Buy 1 Get 1 Free similar to Frozen Synapse. Makes that 30 dollar price tag much easier to swallow.

Picked up both Saira and Capsized, thanks for the heads-up guys

Yayyyy platformers

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    Saira, as I've told Yod and some others, is a pretty fantastic platformer peppered with some really great puzzles. The presentation is fantastic, both visual and audio and it falls neatly into the Nintendo Hard category of gaming. I really recommend checking it out. I should also mention that it's by Nifflas of Knytt and Knytt Stories fame. Also by him and on Steam is NightSky which is a physics puzzle platformer. It has some really interesting gameplay and once again the atmosphere, both visual and audio is really something else.

Saira has really taken over the platformer portion of my brain though. It's just so neat and quirky and happily its own thing. And just joyful in its difficulty. And the gameplay does such a neat job of establishing Saira as a brave and smart female character with a fearless sense of adventure that I haven't really encountered anywhere else. That's such a rare thing I think it really deserves mention.
    Welp. Now there's another game on my wishlist.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I thought EA had all their shit pulled from Steam? And yet, here we have a NFS sale?

Also, how can anyone pass up Civ V? The game plus the DLC pack is $26? Yes, please!

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Not all of it. Far as I know, just stuff that has had DLC come out since Valve apparently changed their terms regarding being on Steam and DLC, though supposedly some games break this and are still on, but what the shit, it's all hearsay at this point anyway.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular

bionic commando rearmed is very very good as well.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    minor incident is Terraria essay winner with:

Why I love the PA community in 10 words:

It really is the happiest place on earth. Fuck Disney.

What next...

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Drake wrote:
    The list of problems I have with Borderlands is long and heartbreaking for me to drag out.

Like I said, I have a love/hate relationship with the game, and I really mean it's love and hate at the same time. The shooting is shit, the movement sucks, there's all kinds of broken shit with the RPG elements... and I said I wasn't going to do this.

:( Borderlands, you are a fucking heartbreaker. I'll be playing you again though.

What?

I don't get this at all. I mean opinions and all but usually everything you say is like gospel to me. I could see being upset with the 1 HP vehicles or the handful of bullshit bosses or the (minor spoiler)...
    nonexistent ending to the main game.

Or maybe you don't like shooting vagina monsters all day. Those things I would understand. But the shooting? I thought they nailed the shooting.

Dunno. Sounds like you don't want to get into it, and your profile shows you put 122 hours in ( <3 ) so you certainly gave the game its due.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    I wish there was some way to convert the hours from my PS3 account into my steam account so it would show the 200+ I have in both combined.

steam_sig.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I love Borderlands! Love her so much!

God I hate her!

I know, it's a crazy reaction. I play the hell out of it too. But there is what it is, and what it could be...

I'm just not a big fan of the RNG determining where my bullets go. The movement feels too floaty. The environments tend to feel really samey. There is some really broken stuff with the RPG side of things. Just look at Roland. I developed a bit of a bitter feeling when they disabled a lot of the loot locations in the base game when they started to put out the DLC. That kinda felt like a dick move.

But like I said, on the other side of that, there is so much to love.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Many thanks to KidCasual for hooking me up with Dead Island! Glad we got it worked out so swiftly and smoothly.

Loading now, and a tip of my hat to a classy gentleman.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    So how does one get an invite to the steam gifts site? Looks interesting...

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Lepwave wrote:
    New thread smells. Smells of classiness.

Hard Reset is insanely awesome from the demo. The menus are incredibly well done.

Why did you tell me this? I'm such a sucker for pretty menus. And I already wanted this game.
    I hated, hated, hated the menus. Because a 3 second delay between selecting each option feels like an eternity.

• UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    Invite(s) recieved! Thanks guys!

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Corpekata wrote:
    Not sure if this was mentioned, but Achron, the recent time travel RTS, just went Buy 1 Get 1 Free similar to Frozen Synapse. Makes that 30 dollar price tag much easier to swallow.
    FWIW, here's the Wot I Think on RPS. Didn't make it sound too great.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Metro 2033 is just...so...awesome. I'm up to Anomaly, and the section prior to it was just unnerving. The game really does a great job at pulling off its creepy atmosphere. I also like how it gives you gameplay style options, but doesn't smack you in the face about it. There have been sections where I could go guns blazing, but I slowly realized that it wasn't necessary at all and that I could stealth through if I wanted to. It makes sense considering how the game treats ammo. I thought ammo would be more scarce, though. I have rather abundant supplies for all of my weapons despite the game seemingly emphasizing the scarcity of it at the start. It gave me a sense that every bullet counts, but I'm not so sure that's the case. That may have to do with my playing the game on normal, though.

steam_sig.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Even if I wanted to play Achron, every video I have watched has left me absolutely baffled.

I suck enough at RTS on a linear time stream.

Bullio wrote:
    Metro 2033 is just...so...awesome. I'm up to Anomaly, and the section prior to it was just unnerving. The game really does a great job at pulling off its creepy atmosphere. I also like how it gives you gameplay style options, but doesn't smack you in the face about it. There have been sections where I could go guns blazing, but I slowly realized that it wasn't necessary at all and that I could stealth through if I wanted to. It makes sense considering how the game treats ammo. I thought ammo would be more scarce, though. I have rather abundant supplies for all of my weapons despite the game seemingly emphasizing the scarcity of it at the start. It gave me a sense that every bullet counts, but I'm not so sure that's the case. That may have to do with my playing the game on normal, though.

As soon as you're done, play through on ranger hardcore. It's how the game is meant to be played.

Also: goddamnit now I have to buy hard reset. D:

steam_sig.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah, one of the primary things higher difficulties in do in Metro 2033 is make ammo more scarce actually.

Woot! @Custom Special truly is a classy gentleman. And an enabler for gifting me crack Terraria

This discussion has been closed.