As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Minecraft! 1.8 Adventure Update is officially here! NEW MAP

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    i'm getting major house of leaves vibes from strongholds and mineshafts

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    oh man strongholds are awesome

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    That seed posted earlier in the thread, Dry, has a mine interacting with an underground chasm in new and exciting ways. Pretty neat.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Faren22Faren22 Registered User regular
    Has anyone else just been spawning into nothing but swamps? I made 3 new worlds and all of them have had their spawn in one of those giant bogs.

Also, Cave Spiders are pretty terrifying.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    i'm getting major house of leaves vibes from strongholds and mineshafts

Simon said the same thing. They just keep spawning further and further, doubling back on themselves and generally confusing you until you are well and completely lost.

I feel like I should read House of Leaves sometime just so I'll understand references to it more, but I know the gist of it I think.

• MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    oh god silverfish

they wouldn't seem that bad except they never stop spawning

aaaaaagh

ducklett.gif
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    yeah I hope the rumor that strongholds are 1 per world is not true and they're just spread out a lot.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    how do you get hidden files to show up in windows 7 again? mine seem to have disappeared, so I can't get into my minecraft folder :(

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    in the control panel in the folder options thing

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    thanks, sweet thang.

also 1.8 is radical.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    oh wow 1.8 is exactly what i never knew i wanted

Mortal Sky on
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Sky is amazing for a desert biomes, I would give it a shot.

I'm working on a mod right now for wireless pistons I want to start work on a steam punk survival story server.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    so It kind of got lost last page, but can you switch between creative and survival yet?

• StuffGuyStuffGuy Registered User regular
    I'm working on a mod right now for wireless pistons I want to start work on a steam punk survival story server.

It would be cool to have a wireless receiver block that was triggered when the proper note block was played within range.

edited September 2011
    so It kind of got lost last page, but can you switch between creative and survival yet?

It's not built into the game for the simple fact that switching between the two would cause you the ability to "cheat" so it may as well all be creative. However if you're fond of the map you've got going on there is a mod for Minecraft 1.8PRELEAK (the one you have now) that makes this possible. Essentially it creates a new save in creative/survival based on the seed generated. Think of it as having two save files, one is survival the other creative. Same map for both.

Mod: https://github.com/thedarkfreak/Minecraft-Save-Seed-Reader/wiki
    Map mode conversions.

HallowedFaith on
    StuffGuy wrote:

It would be cool to have a wireless receiver block that was triggered when the proper note block was played within range.

I'll make note of that and see if I can't muster something up in the morning.

I can cheat just fine already in survival mode. What i'm looking for is the ability to create adventure maps without having to download mods. So creating a map in creative that can be shared with others by playing survival mode.

edited September 2011
    I am getting destroyed by this furnace-crash error. Every single item I put into the furnace crashes the game and then sometimes it'll crash when I pick something up or I guess when the furnace finishes with one item and goes to the next.

I'm also getting this error where I'll select an item and a duplicate of that item will appear in the upper-left slot in my inventory. If I'm in the crafting table I can actually drag and drop this glitched-item into the crafting area infinitely.

It'll be great when the real 1.8 comes out free of (these specific and fun-ruining) bugs!

TankHammer on
  • VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    I have a sweet as hobbit hole going.

Few bugs though: Chat still won't work. Sleeping always spawns a monster no matter where I sleep. Got the same error where an item will duplicate, but it will create a "ghost" copy. The original can be used, but the ghost won't be able to be moved from its square. So that renders that square full up and useless.

edited September 2011
    TankHammer wrote:
    I am getting destroyed by this furnace-crash error. Every single item I put into the furnace crashes the game and then sometimes it'll crash when I pick something up or I guess when the furnace finishes with one item and goes to the next.

I'm also getting this error where I'll select an item and a duplicate of that item will appear in the upper-left slot in my inventory. If I'm in the crafting table I can actually drag and drop this glitched-item into the crafting area infinitely.

It'll be great when the real 1.8 comes out free of (these specific and fun-ruining) bugs!

Or you can download this fix I uploaded; http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41211787/zz.class
    It's the same temp fix right now that most people are using which is to cascade over the chunk error that causes the game to crash when the world is saving/loading and throws a nullException error at you.

Developer note: I believe the major hidden evil here is that the game is rendering light in such a way that is causing these issues. It looks as if the game is crashing during the save due to the sheer volume of information that gets passed. Normally it's fine with the way chunks are handled but with the light generating new resource entities, it appears that somewhere the client is trying to load far too much.

If you don't know how to install mods this is easy as pie: (assuming windows)

1. Navigate to your .minecraft folder (type %appdata% in your run box if you don't know where it's at).
    2. Find the "bin/" directory and open it.
    3. Open minecraft.jar with any jar/zip/rar program. WinRAR is popular.
    4. Overwrite the existing zz.class with the download.
    5. Enjoy your furnace!
    6. ????
    7. Profit!

Sidenote; Please realize that running unknown .class files in a Java environment can be fatal to your machine if it is a virus. This .class file contains no such things, but I am putting out the danger there anyway. Be careful on the interwebs.

HallowedFaith on
    edited September 2011
    I'm learning how to record voice, so this is a bad voice over. but the seed itself is pretty rad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RcxLzXAXFA&feature=youtube_gdata

also, it takes much more "light" than previous to stop monsters from spawning. like, 4x the amount previously needed.

belligerent on
  • Cathode Ray TubeCathode Ray Tube Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I found a pretty decent desert world. Seed number "-1230321736"

It has a gigantic desert with a river crossing a few times plus and at least three npc towns.

http://i.imgur.com/2Xr8i.jpg

Cathode Ray Tube on
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I would like to request any cracked stone brick or mossy stone brick (if we ever find a stronghold) be donated to making your sewers dark dirty and beautiful.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    the seed "4272311620245442327"
    will give you this http://truffled.imgur.com/survival_island_18#XQuYy

1 or 2 more here: http://www.reddit.com/r/minecraftseeds

this seed has been fucking amazing thus far, btw

small island with a single tree in an endless ocean

under the island?

giant underground chasm that leads to an abandoned mineshaft

i have spent three hours exploring under the island, it's amazing

• jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    The bigger biomes are great for SMP maps, but they seem a bit big for single player.

On one map I got a desert biome roughly the size of Spawn Island, and as far as I can tell that's only a medium size biome. That's great for SMP, but as a single player I don't think I need all that desert all in one place.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    More incentive to build Nether Portals, I say

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    For some reason, once I traveled across the ocean to find a new island (my map had me stuck on a fairly-large pine forest biome in the middle of an expansive ocean) my issue seems to have disappeared. The ghost item isn't showing up either.

I found a little archipelago coming off another continent that has a lot of character. It's mostly swampy-looking trees with vines and mushrooms and a metric fuck-ton of clay under the water's surface. This is a huge deal to me because I was never able to find much clay in previous builds of Minecraft but it looks like it'll be more prevalent in this coming version! I can re-build Tribecca Hook & Ladder 8 on the next SE server!!

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I went back and watched the first of the yogscast 1.8 videos after watching the fortress and I am fairly underwhelmed with this mine shaft thing. It is way too weird and random. I do like the gigantic desert biome though.

Also why were endermen not attacking them even if they looked at them. And also what is the deal with health now. Stuff seems to be regenerating but then food seems to be involved

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    jackal wrote:
    The bigger biomes are great for SMP maps, but they seem a bit big for single player.

On one map I got a desert biome roughly the size of Spawn Island, and as far as I can tell that's only a medium size biome. That's great for SMP, but as a single player I don't think I need all that desert all in one place.

I actually wish the biomes were even bigger for multiplayer

Not today.
    Artreus wrote:
    I went back and watched the first of the yogscast 1.8 videos after watching the fortress and I am fairly underwhelmed with this mine shaft thing. It is way too weird and random. I do like the gigantic desert biome though.

Also why were endermen not attacking them even if they looked at them. And also what is the deal with health now. Stuff seems to be regenerating but then food seems to be involved

the enderman thing is probably a bug they're experiencing

as far as health, you have a hunger bar that you replenish by eating food, you can drain it by sprinting and basically not eating

at 9-10 bars on it, you regen half a heart every second or so

at like, 0-2 bars (not sure about this) you start taking damage over time until you eat again, because you are starving

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote:

your health regens when you have a high enough food bar

I think the mineshafts are a nice change of pace, personally

just for the sake of scenery

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • WarbleWarble Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Artreus wrote:

In the first video i think that enderman was stuck in the cobweb or something? And on the wiki they say that when the hunger meter is at 9 or higher, your health will begin to regenerate

edit: beated'

Warble on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Oh, thanks folks.

Warble, one of them was kind of stuck in a cobweb but they ran into others that behaved oddly.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • WarbleWarble Registered User regular
    Hmm, must just be buggy, then. Frankly i'm okay with them being buggy and not attacking for now D:

edited September 2011
    It's not a fully-working patch yet. There are a lot of new things in Minecraft and not everything is working as intended.

The abandoned mine shafts are cool but I don't like how they're piling up on themselves. It ends up looking less like a dilapidated mineshaft and more like random plank blocks and rails just littering the landscape. It needs to be a little more clean and orderly for it to give what I'm assuming is the intended effect.

edit:
    2h66e4g.jpg
    I like the new swamp biome. It strikes me as more rainforest than swamp, though.

TankHammer on
  • nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    Swamp biome needs more pigs.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
    It's actually a little odd there are no pigs in that screenshot as I can assure you there were about 8 of the squealing devils crawling all over the surrounding area and under my house.

• nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I keep changing maps cause I have problems, but in a lot of the swamp biomes I was in, the only mob that ever spawned was sheep. It was pretty annoying in hardmode!

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
    yeah, I'm pretty sure I spawned in a swamp and there are pigs fucking everywhere

it's hard to find cows though, which sucks because I need some god damned armor

also I'm hoping that the mineshaft thing is a bug that gets ironed out in the actual release, but we'll see, I guess

probably starting a new map once the actual update hits anyways, so I'm not going super in depth with the one I'm in now

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote:

the enderman thing is probably a bug they're experiencing

as far as health, you have a hunger bar that you replenish by eating food, you can drain it by sprinting and basically not eating

at 9-10 bars on it, you regen half a heart every second or so

at like, 0-2 bars (not sure about this) you start taking damage over time until you eat again, because you are starving

From what I've noticed, it's at 0 food bars that you start to take damage, and you stop taking damage after a few hearts, at least on normal mode. Also, at some point once you get hungry enough (I forget where on the bar) you can't sprint any longer.

JtgVX0H.png
This discussion has been closed.