Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Move around and stop eating that crap [Weight Loss and Fitness]

12728303233100

Posts

  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote:
    skettios wrote:
    Usagi wrote:
    Yeah I can fluctuate 5-7 pounds daily just depending on how much salt/fat/water I ate the day before

    saaaame
    not to mention if it's around that time

    Seriously

    I've found the fit of my clothing to be a much better daily measure of where I'm at than the scale
    ugghhh, i've gotta put on CLOTHES for this method?!??! pfffftttttt

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ok, this marinade is good for about 2-3 lbs of meat off the bone. Works great for beef also.

    ingredients:
    1 cup soy sauce
    1 cup lemon lime soda (or beer if you prefer)
    approx 1/4 cup lime juice (usually just do juice of 2 limes)
    8-10 cloves garlic
    1 bunch scallions chopped
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 tsp freshly ground pepper
    about 1-2 teaspoon sesame oil (don't overdo it though, it's potent stuff)
    3-4 stalks lemongrass (if you can't get it, it's still good without)
    about 2-3 tablespoons fresh ginger (feel free to adjust to taste if you really love/hate ginger)

    So here's how I like to put this together since chopping up lemongrass is a pain in the ass. If you have a food processor, just process the lemongrass in there till it's pretty finely chopped up. Otherwise I like to use a blender and start by putting the soy sauce and soda (so 2 cups liquid) into the blender. With lemongrass you want to chop off the base of the stalk (about 1/2 to 1 inch) and then cut off the darker green top. You should end up with about 3 inches of pale yellow/green stalk that's more tender than the darker green stalk further up. Chop this into rings about 1/2 to 1/4 inch thick. Peel and chop up the ginger. Peel the garlic cloves. Then turn on the blender and gradually add the lemongrass, ginger, and garlic to the liquid and then let it macerate it all for a few minutes. Pour it into a container large enough to marinate your meat in, then add the other ingredients. Add your meat and marinate depending on the size of the pieces of meat. If you've cut the meat into small chunks, it won't need to marinate as long. 2-4 hours should be fine though you can totally go longer. If you're marinating whole thighs or breasts, then I recommend letting it marinate at least 6 hours minimum.

    This is best if you can grill it, but it also is great sauteed up in a pan at high heat (you want it to brown and caramelize at least a little on the outside).

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • LTMLTM Registered User regular
    That's one serious marinade. I don't know that I could commit to my meat like that...

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It actually doesn't take that long to put together once you get the process down.

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    And it's seriously super delicious.

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • UsagiUsagi Feminazgul ~*special snowflake*~Registered User regular
    LTM wrote:
    That's one serious marinade. I don't know that I could commit to my meat like that...

    Do it

    Trust me, it's fucking amazing

    And then, you make the dipping sauce (1/2c rice vinegar, 4 minced cloves of garlic, 4-5 minced thai chilies) and you are a golden god of deliciousness

    Jormungandr? Damn near killed 'er!
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    gonna need a bigger kitchen

    thanks for the recipe mark!

  • nateknatek Registered User regular
    squall are you gonna marinate your entire kitchen?

    5zqiq8.jpg
    Steam PSN: natek7
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Are you guys usually able to find all this stuff at a regular grocery store?

  • nateknatek Registered User regular
    all that stuff for the marinade? I can easily find that here and I am in a state nobody even cares about!

    lemongrass may or may not be found, on second thought, unless we have it in those little plastic containers here like how the basil is

    5zqiq8.jpg
    Steam PSN: natek7
  • Lost SalientLost Salient Z is for Zillah who drank too much ginRegistered User regular
    Aww, did I miss the talk about yoga?

    I started taking yoga back in July and I am in loooove. I feel so fucking good after I do a class, which is not usual for me. Typically after I do my cardio/weights/abs routine I just feel like curling up and dying a little bit on my floor for a while. The only downside is that I started to think of it as a substitution for the other stuff, so I'd just do yoga twice a week and some other form of exercise on the weekends (apart from the jogging I do every night with the idiot). I think I started to lose some muscle as a result, so it's back on the weights wagon now.

    Anyway yoga. I typically do a pilates-yoga team-up class, but sometimes I do a vinyasa or bikram class if I can't make it to my regular pila-yoga sessions. I love how loose and relaxed I feel after I do yoga, even the intense classes. And I've found vinyasa's nice on days like today, when I biked for two hours the day before and went hiking so my muscles were all tight.

    In other news, being on vacation is awesome because I can do things like go biking for two hours on a Wednesday and go to yoga whenever I feel like it.

    QuW2glN.jpg"Sandra's favourite movie is escape from new York because she cries when magpie and brain die because they will never be together." I actually updated my blog, DON'T FREAK OUT
  • UsagiUsagi Feminazgul ~*special snowflake*~Registered User regular
    First world problems time

    I would love to go to the yoga/pilates classes offered at my gym but the only class times that work for me are literally bursting with Ballard yuppie soccer moms so there's never a spot :(

    Jormungandr? Damn near killed 'er!
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Hmmm. Blood glucose 87. Tested first thing in the morning. Haven't eaten since about 6PM yesterday.

    That...seems high.

  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    legs super sore

    think i'll run once more today and take tomorrow off, monday-friday off days seem better than saturday-sunday

  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    ross get swole* with me

    *i will never be swole, let's just slim down instead

  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i get shinsplints super easy and dislike running

    i also sweat if i do anything other than walk gently

    rowing is cool though, i like that

  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    they are finishing a 'life centre' in my city at the end of this year

    it will feature a fully equipped climbing wall so i am going to be all up on that

  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    rock climbing is one of my favorite things to do but haven't been making trips out to my local wall since I'm not on campus anymore

    hopefully I'll get to pick it up again when I move down to Ohio

    that being said rock climbing isn't going to work super well for dropping weight

  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    one of my best friends from school has moved back to my city after he finished university

    he is a qualified climbing instructor

    this is most good

  • TefTef Registered User regular
    I got into yoga through rowing and I love it. I don't buy in to the spiritualism/religious parts of it but it undoubtably makes me feel more relaxed and focused after a good session

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    First world problems time

    I would love to go to the yoga/pilates classes offered at my gym but the only class times that work for me are literally bursting with Ballard yuppie soccer moms so there's never a spot :(

    That blows. When I used to go to a club downtown, the only time I could do yoga was on Fridays after work because yoga at that time wasn't that popular so it always got slotted at odd hours the rest of the week for other more "trendy" classes.

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    Hmmm. Blood glucose 87. Tested first thing in the morning. Haven't eaten since about 6PM yesterday.

    That...seems high.

    are you diabetic?


    because if you aren't, that's perfectly normal.

    easysig2.jpg
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Squall wrote: »
    legs super sore

    think i'll run once more today and take tomorrow off, monday-friday off days seem better than saturday-sunday

    if your legs are really sore, take it really easy today
    push yourself too hard, and it'll take more than a day to recover and that just means you'll be running on Sat with legs that haven't recovered yet which increases the risk of an injury
    keep that up, and you could easily find yourself needing to take a week or two off to let the problem area heal up

    also where precisely is the pain? I might be able to make some suggestions about how to reduce inflammation and speed recovery

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Hmmm. Blood glucose 87. Tested first thing in the morning. Haven't eaten since about 6PM yesterday.

    That...seems high.

    That seems normal, good actually. Why do you think that's high?

  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    Squall wrote: »
    legs super sore

    think i'll run once more today and take tomorrow off, monday-friday off days seem better than saturday-sunday

    if your legs are really sore, take it really easy today
    push yourself too hard, and it'll take more than a day to recover and that just means you'll be running on Sat with legs that haven't recovered yet which increases the risk of an injury
    keep that up, and you could easily find yourself needing to take a week or two off to let the problem area heal up

    also where precisely is the pain? I might be able to make some suggestions about how to reduce inflammation and speed recovery

    just in the calves, probably not fully back into the swing of things on running in my vibrams

    think i'll just do a longer brisk walk today than a run

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    another good, short run this morning. only 2 miles but my right IT band isn't hurting. tomorrow's my rest day and then I run sat and sunday.

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    I went for a short run this morning with my dog. After 2 cups of coffee and nothing else.... worst idea ever

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Squall wrote: »
    Druhim wrote:
    Squall wrote: »
    legs super sore

    think i'll run once more today and take tomorrow off, monday-friday off days seem better than saturday-sunday

    if your legs are really sore, take it really easy today
    push yourself too hard, and it'll take more than a day to recover and that just means you'll be running on Sat with legs that haven't recovered yet which increases the risk of an injury
    keep that up, and you could easily find yourself needing to take a week or two off to let the problem area heal up

    also where precisely is the pain? I might be able to make some suggestions about how to reduce inflammation and speed recovery

    just in the calves, probably not fully back into the swing of things on running in my vibrams

    think i'll just do a longer brisk walk today than a run

    that sounds like a good idea. also stretch if you aren't already. also also, are you cramping up or is it just a consistent ache?

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    i've been stretching consistently before and after my runs, and it's just a constant ache when i walk around, no cramps

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ok, as long as you're not cramping up it doesn't sound like a potassium deficiency

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    thanks for the advice dru

  • ArtreusArtreus Hamlet Registered User regular
    Aww, did I miss the talk about yoga?

    I started taking yoga back in July and I am in loooove. I feel so fucking good after I do a class, which is not usual for me. Typically after I do my cardio/weights/abs routine I just feel like curling up and dying a little bit on my floor for a while. The only downside is that I started to think of it as a substitution for the other stuff, so I'd just do yoga twice a week and some other form of exercise on the weekends (apart from the jogging I do every night with the idiot). I think I started to lose some muscle as a result, so it's back on the weights wagon now.

    Anyway yoga. I typically do a pilates-yoga team-up class, but sometimes I do a vinyasa or bikram class if I can't make it to my regular pila-yoga sessions. I love how loose and relaxed I feel after I do yoga, even the intense classes. And I've found vinyasa's nice on days like today, when I biked for two hours the day before and went hiking so my muscles were all tight.

    In other news, being on vacation is awesome because I can do things like go biking for two hours on a Wednesday and go to yoga whenever I feel like it.

    Yeah I signed up for beginners yoga at my climbing gym on Tuesday and it was fairly awesome. Felt like I could have run forever after that. I was really sore the next day though. And next time I go in I am definitely not forgetting to bring a towel along because I was dripping sweat onto my mat like crazy.

    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • ArtreusArtreus Hamlet Registered User regular
    Also thanks for that marinade Dru, gonna get some chicken thighs and do that up today. Maybe make up a potato salad to go along with it

    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    Also thanks for that marinade Dru, gonna get some chicken thighs and do that up today. Maybe make up a potato salad to go along with it

    Great! Let me know how it works out for you.

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote:
    First world problems time

    I would love to go to the yoga/pilates classes offered at my gym but the only class times that work for me are literally bursting with Ballard yuppie soccer moms so there's never a spot :(

    Is it a class that you have to sign up for in advance, or is it just super crowded?

    Paleo/Primal. Gamer. Powerlifter. Trekkie. Yogi.
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    super crowded
    I'm pretty sure the yoga classes are the biggest draw at the gym

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    If she doesn't want to lift weights, back the fuck off and let her exercise the way she wants to.

    Jesus, always finding women that aren't how you want them to be then thinking you can manipulate them into changing to become what you actually wanted.

    What? He isn't telling her to lose weight, she wants to, and she is joining him at the gym to meet her goal. There is nothing wrong with him trying to convince her that she should also add some weightlifting to her routine. There is probably some mental hiccup she has about weight lifting. It's not being manipulative to try and get past that to help her meet her goal.

    Spoiler:
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Jigrah wrote: »
    Druhim wrote:
    If she doesn't want to lift weights, back the fuck off and let her exercise the way she wants to.

    Jesus, always finding women that aren't how you want them to be then thinking you can manipulate them into changing to become what you actually wanted.

    What? He isn't telling her to lose weight, she wants to, and she is joining him at the gym to meet her goal. There is nothing wrong with him trying to convince her that she should also add some weightlifting to her routine. There is probably some mental hiccup she has about weight lifting. It's not being manipulative to try and get past that to help her meet her goal.

    You don't understand. This is what Slider does with every woman he gets involved with. He doesn't like dating women that smoke, so does he look for women that don't smoke? No. He starts dating a woman who smokes and then harangues her about how she shouldn't smoke to try and get her to change. So this is just another example of him trying to mold a woman into what he thinks she should be. You just aren't familiar with his history here.

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.