As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rugby World Cup 2011

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    lah lah lah i'm going to be watching the game tomorrow lah lah alh.

I even hurried my gym workout up a bit tonight so i wouldn't get 'spoilered'.

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    So I'm an American living in Kiwiland now.

I know nothing about Rugby. But living in Auckland i've been surrounded by this RWC stuff for months.

The haka is ridiculously intimidating. That video from the Wales game was goosebumpy!

I have a new TV! sadly, I only get freeview at the moment, so my watching of the USA/Russia match will actually happen tomorrow. And then after they re-air that, I get to watch the NZ match live.
    I was under the impression Maori TV would have every game live but that doesn't seem to be true. Huh. It's where I'm watching all the All Blacks' games anyway, as the other channels have ad breaks between the Haka and kick-off. Otherwise, I believe the RWC 2011 website might have live streams.

Anyway, oh excellent, didn't know we had a thread for the RWC. It's been pretty awesome so far. Romania with some brilliant forwards work against the Scots to take it close. Canada winning a brilliant game against Tonga (really feel sorry for Tonga though, after the huge reception they've had from the Tongan community in NZ). Wales dominating South Africa for most of the game but choking. And today a pretty thrilling game between the US and Russia. If it hadn't rained, I'm guessing the US would've ran completely away with it but hats off to Russia's defence.

Oh and I feel like I should post the Opening Ceremony because I thought it was brilliant. Really proud of the way it was put together. Well maybe apart from the last bit. I know they had to cut away to prep the field for the game but the forklifts and stuff were pretty stupid (though I'd guess they were meant to symbolise Auckland or something, since it's a port city).

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    I don't know. If someone did the haka at me, I'd want to mock them but could never be so disrespectful. So it puts one in a difficult place. The Welsh response seems best.

A few years ago, Ireland turned their backs on the NZ Haka. They proceeded to get absolutely demolished. Wales lost by less than a score. There is a moral in there.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • either,oreither,or Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Haven't Australia just gone off and ran warm up drills and practised their kicking during the haka before?

either,or on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS friend code: 4811-7214-5053
  • DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    Canada winning a brilliant game against Tonga (really feel sorry for Tonga though, after the huge reception they've had from the Tongan community in NZ).

Tonga made the very silly decision to rest their best players for the Canada game, thinking Canada would be a pushover.

either,or wrote:
    Haven't Australia just gone off and ran warm up drills and practised their kicking during the haka before?

Yeah, a couple times and both times they were given hidings.
    Dram wrote:
    Tonga made the very silly decision to rest their best players for the Canada game, thinking Canada would be a pushover.

Pretty dumb too, since they've lost to Canada in a couple other World Cups.

Japan B have just received a huge thrashing. B because they made 10 changes from their game against France, since they're targeting the games against Tonga and Canada. Smart plan by Kirwan but it made this game a bit of a downer.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Don't want to sounds so coarse on a public forum but Slade was absolute shit against Japan. I mean, stand-out bad. If they have to rely on him for a big game then NZ are farked.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    Seems like an appropriate time to pull this out:

BringBackBeaver.jpg

edited September 2011
    Incidentally, the Haka didn't always use to be such a histrionic piece of over wrought twaddle.

Here it is back in the 1970's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMd7PQavavw

Being done for the crowd by an actual genuine All Blacks side as a piece of light entertainment. Stop sniggering at the back.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

Oh man that commentator is TERRIBLE.

Also I miss the old jerseys that weren't stupid polyester skintight impossible to grab shit.

Also also it is really nice that the ABs actually PULL OUT of tackles once the player passes it instead of trying to fucking injure the guy.

What an incredible game. It has changed so much in just 40 years. There was almost no rucking in that game. Were they even ALLOWED to ruck? They passed off the ground every single tackle.

steam_sig.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    so watching the Ab's play last night was interesting.

I ended up cheering for whoever had the ball at that time. Mainly because I felt like somebody should cheer on Japan.

Also learned something neat last night. My boyfriend's employers have 'adopted' Namibia as the team that they are cheering on. Because everybody should have somebody rooting for them.

I love it down here.

• The Rocking MThe Rocking M Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Ireland! Come on! 4 more minutes!

Ireland 15-6

• DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    Good god Australia. You were just so fucking disappointing tonight!
    Just giving points away to Ireland with boatloads of penalties! Terrible passing!

Basically sets up a Northern Hemisphere vs Southern Hemisphere final. With Australia, South Africa, NZ and Argentina on one side and England, France, Ireland and Wales (though maybe Samoa) on the other. Should be really interesting from this point.

• THAC0THAC0 Registered User regular
    Quade Cooper had an absolute shocker of a night but the Ireland forwards just monstered out there.

• AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Australia were terrible today, pretty disappointing game for them.

I'll be up to watch us hopefully beating Samoa tomorrow morning at 4:30 . Really set to be the biggest game of our group after choking against South Africa.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    Well, fair play to Ireland, that was a cracking game of rugby.

• The Rocking MThe Rocking M Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I don't think Wales "choked" against SA. I think they were robbed.

steam_sig.png
    psyck0 wrote:

They knew Ireland were going to beat Australia so they deliberately threw the game whilst showing they could have won it. They've practically got a free run into the final now.

psyck0 wrote:

They played some great rugby but they need to see games out.

steam_sig.png
    Oh god if I felt down after the SA game then I can't even begin to explain how I feel now at half time against Samoa D:

steam_sig.png
    psyck0 wrote:
    I'm guessing you're talking about that penalty? It did drift outside the sticks at one point, so it's just a question of if it did that as it was going passed the posts. The camera angle isn't the greatest so I'm inclined to go with the assistant referees opinion.

Wales dominated that game and still lost, so choked is a pretty good description of what happened.
    Adda wrote:
    Oh god if I felt down after the SA game then I can't even begin to explain how I feel now at half time against Samoa D:

Samoa have a strong team and beat Australia earlier in the year. Nothing to be ashamed of. Hope this isn't the biggest game they have though, because I think they've got a real shot at beating SA.

• LouieLouie Registered User regular
    Urf, that was fucking tense and horrible and awful. I need a hug.

Well done Wales, let's hope Namibia and Fiji aren't such tense matches.

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    The Ireland Aussie game was fucking awesome - what an intense end. The crowd was amazing, and Auckland was humming afterwards.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2011
    Naw, I don't think they were robbed by any one particular moment. That penalty was clearly wide. They played a fantastic game for almost the full 80 minutes and just had some bad luck. I don't think choked is right because there wasn't any area you can point to where they clearly screwed up.

Saw some of the Wales Samoa match in a pub. Whew. Glad Wales won it: I like Samoa but I like Wales more and want a NH team to do well this world cup. Getting tired of NZ/Aus/SA at the top all the time. I've never liked the ABs, either, bunch of cheating bastards.

E: Seriously, Samoa beat AUS?!!

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
    Fallingman wrote:
    The Ireland Aussie game was fucking awesome - what an intense end. The crowd was amazing, and Auckland was humming afterwards.

my facebook lit up with momentary Irishness from friends. sounds like it was a blast!

of course, this means that friday is going to be absolutely brutal on my Eagles. Absolutely brutal. Aus has something to prove now, and they're not about to let a few Americans stand in their way. It's going to be messsssy. (i hope)

No, Ireland beat Aus. Samoa almost beat Wales

psyck0 wrote:
    I've never liked the ABs, either, bunch of cheating bastards.

E: Seriously, Samoa beat AUS?!!

Yeah, 32-23 back before the Tri-Nations. It's basically what got Giteau dropped from the squad.

ABs cheating? Pfft. The best team in the world is always accused of being cheater. Australia around 1999-2001, England in 2002-03, South Africa in 2009 and the AB's in basically all the other years. Jealousy is what it is. Of McGod.

lonelyahava, you hope it'll be messy? To be honest I'm surprised the US captain is even playing, the cheap shoulder on that Russian was nasty and deserved a yellow card at least. But ah well, fingers crossed the Convicts keep their lack of form up and Cooper keeps running around like a headless chicken.

Anyway, Georgians looking great everywhere but on the scoreboard. England has some real discipline issues, they're getting penalised off the park. Georgia would be winning if they had a quality kicker.

Hey, I am just now getting into Rugby. I have been told many times that it is a better sport than american football. Although I do agree that hit on the Russian was harsh. I literally thought he had been decapitated. Ok, not literally, but man. that was something.

But isn't rugby supposed to be a hard-hitting game?

I dunno, I'm hoping that the US puts up something of a showing and makes Aus at least work for it.

Nah, ABs play on the very edge of fair play. I think they cross the line far too often. They play deliberately unfairly in many areas and don't get called for it nearly often enough IMO- like slowing the ball. They are the best team in the world at deliberately smothering the ball in the tackle illegally and not rolling away, or diving over the top in defence illegally to slow the ball down.

steam_sig.png
    Ha, just wasn't sure what you meant by messy.

Tackles in rugby are relatively strict. At the very least, there has to be an attempt at a tackle (so you have to try use your arms to grab them). And nothing even resembling a spear tackle (see here, where the legs are picked up and you basically dump the player on his head).

We'll see what happens with the US vs Aus game. Ireland provided the blueprint to beating Australia, so hopefully the US can pull off something similar.

Anyway, c'mon Canada! Winning 10-7. Very wet so it looks like it'll be a kick and hope for a fumble kind of game.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Fallingman wrote:

One of the Australian players interviewed afterwards was just plain shell-shocked. Interestingly, he described it as almost like playing Ireland in Dublin. I am not surprised to see the NZ based crowd turn up in force to see the Aussies lose (nothing pleases a NZer more than Australia losing). This has the interesting side effect of putting up a really exciting South Africa vs. Australia quarter final. Thrown everything up in the air and made the tournament that much more interesting.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    C'mon Canada! Beat those dirty Frenchies!

• THAC0THAC0 Registered User regular
    That was somewhat cynical play by France to get the penalty lead at the start of the second half. The leap over the fence in particular was very cheap. They played well enough to get the win but I think those penalties really sapped Canada's drive.

Final score was not reflective of that game at all. If Canada had had a better goal kicker and been a bit fitter, by having a better draw (because the draws are seriously unfair to the B tier teams) and a few more pro players, they would've won it. What a mediocre French team, I think we'll smoke them next week.

As for the cheating French, Canada should feel lucky they didn't think they were worthy of a ruck to the nuts. Never forget, Buck 1986.

• lowtownlowtown Registered User new member
    lol @ that 1970's Haka...

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    lowtown wrote:
    lol @ that 1970's Haka...

That was terrible and probably embarrassing to any Maori's watching. I say go for the testosterone.

• L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    yeah im assuming/hoping the poster was being sarcastic because otherwise it's kind of offensive

also if you've got nothing better to do during an all blacks game, follow richie mccaw and see how many unnecessary hits/jabs etc he gets in rucks. It's kind of surprising he doesn't get in fights or just go "hey, fuckoff" more.

L|ama on