As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA comic: Friday Sept. 16, 2011

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited September 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-GR5RD9j-XL.jpg

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    What's the connection between GoW4 and low battery life?

• EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    jackal wrote:

The punchline is he implies they're launching with God of War 4, an impressive title for a handheld, which excites the other guy.

But he means God of War 4 Seconds.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I enjoyed this comic.

• LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure if I feel like the topics are being rehashed, or if the gaming world is this this cyclical in its failings.

In a handheld, I'm pretty sure battery life should be the primary requirement from which everything else flows.

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    More than likely it dances to the tune of "We got this now, it lasts 2 hours. We'll have enough people buy it so that in 2 years when technology catches up with ambition we'll have a great system."

• TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    LTM wrote:
    I'm not sure if I feel like the topics are being rehashed, or if the gaming world is this this cyclical in its failings.

In a handheld, I'm pretty sure battery life should be the primary requirement from which everything else flows.

Sony's just a terrible game hardware company all around. The reason they even have the Playstation division is that they wanted to get back at Nintendo for screwing them over with the whole CD-drive fiasco. They didn't and still do not care about gaming.

$300 for ~3 hours of battery and it comes with no storage: you have to buy sd cards.
    Hopefully this will be the final nail in the PSP's poorly designed coffin.

checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Hello WaterfaceHello Waterface Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller In the timbers of FennarioRegistered User regular
    Why is Ron Howard in this comic?

Welcome to Miami Beach, ladies and gentlemen. Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Please take my advice.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    After the complete bumblefuck of the 3DS, I was kinda looking forward to the Vita.

Welp.

Oh brilliant
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    After the complete bumblefuck of the 3DS, I was kinda looking forward to the Vita.

Welp.

I'm behind the times on handhelds, how was the 3ds a bumblefuck?

edited September 2011
    Endaro wrote:

Welp.

I'm behind the times on handhelds, how was the 3ds a bumblefuck?

Apparently the 3DS needed a telethon to save it.

Also, I think a bumblefuck is much less severe than a mongolian clusterfuck, which is what every Sony handheld has been.

Tleilaxu on
    checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    didn't everyone think the ds sucked at release too? I distinctly remember that. then a bunch of games came out and you got the it prints money gif

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Is anyone else having problems getting the comic to load?

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just did a forced refresh on it and it loaded fine, LPS.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    No problems here.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Is anyone else having problems getting the comic to load?

This is the second comic in the past few weeks that refuses to load on my work computer. I get a Red X both from the main page, and the rehost here in the thread.
    The other problem comic is August 24th's "This Dilapidated Universe".

Aside from the odd exception here and there, all other comics load fine.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular

Welp.

Really? You're going to condemn a system that's practically fresh out of the womb?

Give it some time.

• The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    We've "given it some time" for several years, if we take the PSP family as a whole. If it gets good I'll buy it later but I see absolutely no reason to invest any portion of either my money or enthusiasm in a product line that has been habitually mismanaged literally since day one.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah. I put on my hazmat suit and braved the GameFAQs PSVita boards for a few minutes, they all don't care about the battery life either.

See, this is something so basic, so fundamental to the handheld gaming device, that it shouldn't really need saying:

Long battery life is important.

If the snazzy new features of your handheld device happen to reduce the battery life this badly, then you design a new battery.

Now, I appreciate that the initial mental image conjured up by "GameFAQs message board user" is that of a basement dwelling goblin, who never has the need or inclination to go outside, but; isn't that the only time to use a handheld?

Am I in the minority here? Do people just sit on their couches playing handhelds?

Cause mine only get use on long bus journeys, or if I'm spending the weekend away from home.

And in those scenarios, I like having a DS on hand that'll get me through the situation without needing to be tethered to the wall.

Oh brilliant
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Endaro wrote:
    jackal wrote:

The punchline is he implies they're launching with God of War 4, an impressive title for a handheld, which excites the other guy.

The lowercase to "seconds" kind of maims the intended joke into nonsense.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • JAKJAK Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote:
    Endaro wrote:
    jackal wrote:

Well, I understood it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    kedinik wrote:

No. No it doesn't.

Durkhanus on
  • CandymancerCandymancer Registered User regular
    Why is Ron Howard in this comic?

I saw a sellout Adam Sessler.

• GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    This kind of seems like a non-issue. The 3DS had a Nyko battery with at least double the capacity within a few months, I'm sure they or another 3rd party will do the same with the Vita.

Although it is deliciously ironic considering how many Sony fanboys were citing the 3DS battery as a system-killer

It may have been a non-issue five years ago, but now you have to look at battery life in a world where Apple produces crazy ten-hour mobile devices and ask why Sony can't.

checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    How long would an iDevice battery last playing God of War or Ocarina of Time 3D though?

steam_sig.png
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Now, I appreciate that the initial mental image conjured up by "GameFAQs message board user" is that of a basement dwelling goblin, who never has the need or inclination to go outside, but; isn't that the only time to use a handheld?

Am I in the minority here? Do people just sit on their couches playing handhelds?
    I play my handheld (DS) while at home all the time. Mainly in bed, where I play for 30m or so before sleep, but sometimes even at my computer when I'm bored with the internet and/or are waiting for something to install or download. Occasionally I'll just out-and-out play it instead of a console/PC game if I'm in the mood.

How long would an iDevice battery last playing God of War or Ocarina of Time 3D though?

Those thin-ass devices aren't really designed to run high powered apps/games for that long and it'd overheat way before the battery died.

Opty on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    if a handheld game is good then I want to play it, it doesn't really matter where

• AdusAdus Registered User regular
    What was the last game system that had a launch that didn't suck?

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I actually thought the Wii had a pretty good launch between Zelda, Wii Sports, and a clump of lower-profile games like Trauma Center and Elebits

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Durkhanus wrote:
    kedinik wrote:

No. No it doesn't.

No, really, without upper casing it isn't part of the title and the joke doesn't really work.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • NergyNergy Registered User regular
    Jars wrote:
    if a handheld game is good then I want to play it, it doesn't really matter where

Shhh, not so loud. Your common sense will wake the beasts.

But yeah so many people have predicted the downfall of Monster Hunter simply because it's on a different handheld than the one they own, it's just childish.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote:
    Durkhanus wrote:
    kedinik wrote:

No. No it doesn't.

No, really, without upper casing it isn't part of the title and the joke doesn't really work.

Perhaps it maims the joke for some, and not for others!

All I'm saying is, what's the deal with mobile devices and shitty battery life these days? It's basically accepted that your latest smart phone won't last more than half a day without a recharge, and these new handheld systems seem no better.

What the fuck science, discover a limitless and easily portable safe power source already, GOD!

Act like it's hard or something.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    What the fuck science, discover a limitless and easily portable safe power source already, GOD!

Act like it's hard or something.

Big Game and Big Mobile is in cahoots with Big Power - they've formed a cabal to ensure we remain dependent on power.
    When SONY went against them and developed high capacity batteries for their laptops, Big Power sent the secret code over the power lines, causing the batteries to overheat and explode.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

I mostly play handhelds at home.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    Kagera wrote:

3wHS0.gif

You rang?

checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    I recognize that science dude.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Um I didn't see it as a title but that playing God of War will give the Vita a battery life of 4 seconds.

"We're kicking things off with God of War: 4 seconds."

jCyyTSo.png
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote:
    More than likely it dances to the tune of "We got this now, it lasts 2 hours. We'll have enough people buy it so that in 2 years when technology catches up with ambition we'll have a great system."

More like "Why bother taking more time to give it a better battery when we can release it NOW and then charge people money for a battery that's worth a damn. "

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204